Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-06-2024, 10:58 AM   #1
HIPO
Al

Default Petro $ Kaput ?

I see the Saudi's are said to be set to drop the U.S. $ when the contract runs out tomorrow. Countries will be able to buy in their own currency , silver, gold etc.

Start of hyperinflation?
HIPO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-06-2024, 11:01 AM   #2
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: Petro $ Kaput ?

If true, I wonder how long before the US says they're a country with WMD and need to be invaded? Like when Iran said they'd sell their oil in any currency other than USD.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 09-06-2024, 03:08 PM   #3
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

A while back, when OPEC was looking to push up the the price of oil,
Biden sold 100 billion barrels from the US Strategic Reserve, forcing Oil buyers
to take the US oil over OPEC import oil. That created an excess that forced down
the price and then the US started replenishing its reserve stocks at the lower prices.

Not normally a fan of politicians interfering in the free market but in this case,
the US stopped OPEC in its tracks and also made the US treasury a tidy profit.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 09-06-2024, 03:17 PM   #4
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Let Freedom rain from the skies.

Jokes.

Anyway, the US are Saudi now:

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=61545

Been watching for the demise of the petrodollar for most of my adult life, and it remains the cleanest dirty shirt of the fiat currencies.
Old 09-06-2024, 03:52 PM   #5
ToryMikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Let Freedom rain from the skies.

Jokes.

Anyway, the US are Saudi now:

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=61545

Been watching for the demise of the petrodollar for most of my adult life, and it remains the cleanest dirty shirt of the fiat currencies.
Cleaner than our worthless Pacific Peso for sure.
1997 BMW E36 318i manual - Alpine White
ToryMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-06-2024, 04:20 PM   #6
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not to mention, what else out there, could replace the volumes of the Eurodollar system? (This is different to the petrodollar). Offshore Yuan? Gold? BTC? SDRs? Rubles lol? If you look at how the Fed's rate cycle has dragged the world with it, there is nothing else out there that could replace it. They are the ones willing to provide the liquidity. My personal preference would be for a free floating gold:silver bimetallic standard based on weight - much closer to the 19th century, but 'It is what it is'.
Old 09-06-2024, 04:48 PM   #7
HIPO
Al

Interesting to see how BRICS countries go............
Old 09-06-2024, 06:38 PM   #8
HIPO
Al

We know what happens to countries that want to go gold standard.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-06-2024, 10:17 PM   #9
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPO View Post
I see the Saudi's are said to be set to drop the U.S. $ when the contract runs out tomorrow. Countries will be able to buy in their own currency , silver, gold etc.

Start of hyperinflation?
I am struggling to understand what the problem is. Looking at the Light Crude Oil Futures forward curve chart, it is declining in price, with a strong sell flag. Also had a look at oil prices in EU and Singapore gate, same declining price.

Lower oil prices results in lower inflation. It also rolls through to lower gas and coal prices.

Quote:
July WTI crude oil (CLN24) Friday closed down -0.02 (-0.03%), and July RBOB gasoline (RBN24) closed down -1.49 (-0.62%).

Crude oil and gasoline prices posted modest losses on Friday. Friday's rally in the dollar index DXY to a 1-week high undercut energy prices. Losses in crude were limited on Friday's stronger-than-expected US May payroll report, which is positive for economic growth and energy demand. Crude prices also have carryover support from Thursday when Saudi Arabia Energy Minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman said OPEC+ could pause or reverse its decision to boost crude production if prices falter.

Friday's action by the Bundesbank to cut its German 2024 GDP forecast to +0.3% from a previous forecast of +0.4% is negative for energy demand and crude prices.

Oil prices early this week tumbled more than -4% to a 4-month low Tuesday on negative carryover from Sunday when OPEC+ rolled out a plan to restore some crude production in Q4, which sparked worries about a glut in global oil supplies. OPEC+ on Sunday agreed to extend the 2 million bpd of voluntary crude production cuts into Q3 but then gradually phase out the cuts over the following 12 months beginning in October. OPEC pledged to extend its crude production cap at about 39 million bpd to the end of 2025. Also, the UAE was given a 300,000 bpd boost to its production target for 2025.

An increase in crude oil in floating storage is bearish for prices. Monday's weekly data from Vortexa showed that the amount of crude oil held worldwide on tankers that have been stationary for at least a week rose +2.2% w/w to 85.62 million bbl as of May 31.

An increase in OPEC crude output is negative for oil prices. OPEC May crude production rose +60,000 bpd to 26.96 million bpd, a 5-month high.

Crude oil prices have underlying support from concern about the Hamas-Israel conflict. Israel's military is conducting military operations in the southern Gaza city of Rafah despite opposition from the Biden administration. There is also concern that the war might spread to Hezbollah in Lebanon or even to a direct conflict with Iran. Meanwhile, attacks on commercial shipping in the Red Sea by Iran-backed Houthi rebels have forced shippers to divert shipments around the southern tip of Africa instead of going through the Red Sea, disrupting global crude oil supplies.

Higher than-expected Russian crude output is bearish for oil prices. Russian crude processing averaged 5.45 million bpd in the first half of May, up 4% above April's level as refineries recovered from Ukrainian drone strikes. Russia's fuel exports are steady as refineries come back online after being damaged by Ukrainian drone attacks. Russian fuel exports in the week to June 2 were unchanged from the prior week at 3.22 million bpd.

Wednesday's EIA report showed that (1) US crude oil inventories as of May 31 were -3.9% below the seasonal 5-year average, (2) gasoline inventories were -0.7% below the seasonal 5-year average, and (3) distillate inventories were -6.8% below the 5-year seasonal average. US crude oil production in the week ending May 31 was unchanged w/w at 13.1 million bpd, slightly below the recent record high of 13.3 million bpd.

Baker Hughes reported Friday that active US oil rigs in the week ended June 7 fell -4 rigs to a 2-1/4 year low of 492 rigs. The number of US oil rigs has fallen over the past year from the 4-year high of 627 rigs posted in December 2022.

whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-06-2024, 12:09 AM   #10
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Gaddafi proposed something similar and see what happened to him!

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2024, 01:27 AM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Gaddafi proposed something similar and see what happened to him!
Saddam Hussein and selling oil in Euros

Who do you reckon is going to be the next crown prince of Saudi Arabia? I checked Sportsbet but they're not offering wagering on American led coups on middle eastern leaders.

Mohammed bin Salman's days are numbered if he goes down this path,

The US tolerates Saudi Arabia because they play the game, they sell the west and others oil in USD, they buy US/UK weapon systems - go look at their military and the equipment they operate.

In exchange, they're allowed to keep their 'kingdom' and we tolerate their war on Yemen that's killed 500,000 people (strangely the Melbourne protesters don't know about that one)

I'd say MBS and the Saudi leadership are sitting down and going to stick to the status quo.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 10-06-2024 at 01:34 AM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-06-2024, 08:49 PM   #12
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gaddafi was supporting a pan-African gold backed dinar.
Old Today, 10:47 AM   #13
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So...for my accounts....should I now be paying around $1.75/L for diesel....or is that in-grown toe-nail of the security guard at the terminal gate for the country we lock our wholesale price to going to be blamed for the continued higher price when all factors show it should have dropped....
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 10:58 AM   #14
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is this why 91 has jumped back to $2.30 overnight???

Its bloody outrageous!
GASWAGON is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 11:13 AM   #15
HIPO
Al

We're in good hands with that highly respected ACCC on the job!
2 users like this post: