Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-03-2009, 12:30 AM   #1
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default tough exhaust notes

so i had a walker catback (lukey) with a bmc air filter and i had a very very deep sounding exhaust, very v8 sounding but today i got my 4480 pacemakers fitted and now it sounds very very tinny

will this sound deepen as they get older? i thought that more air and better flow = deeper sound.... am i wrong? i was told they will perform at their peek after 1-2 weeks of driving, will the sound come with it? what experience do you guys have with this sort of thing, im a little bit worried cuz the sound is disappointed

Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2009, 12:37 AM   #2
Gaz
Got Ghia?

replace with V8 - a 6 will never have the same sound.

the note can change a bit as the carbon builds up, but not a heap.

More air and better flow won't make it deeper. Extractors make the air flow smoother.
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2009, 12:48 AM   #3
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i know it will never sound the same im just disappointed the sound has gotten higher not lower... the place suggests that i put on a magnaflow 3 inch cat to replace the one i have now, they say that will deepen it a lot

is this a quality product? i was going to try and get a lukey ultra flo but they reckin magnaflow is a bit better
Old 05-03-2009, 01:04 AM   #4
Dezza
Parts bin special

I found mine got a lot deeper with my pacey 4499s and magnaflow cat. It sounds a lot tougher than it did. I got them at the same time though

Daily 2010 FG XR50T ute - Lightning Strike
6 speed manual, XR8 bonnet, hardlid, Streetfighter airbox

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2009, 01:36 AM   #5
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think i will get the cat, too bad i didnt have the money to do it today, its gonna cost another 70 bucks to do getting it done by itself lol
Old 05-03-2009, 07:59 AM   #6
The Monty
Just slidin'

The 4480's make the car sound shocking. Ive noticed this on every AU Ive been in that went from a cat back, to a cat back with 4480's mine included.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:44 PM   #7
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you are chasing note on an EF I straight piped the front muffler and the one in the tail pipe in the diff tunnel sounded *very* impressive - cheap, easy worked well but its too late for that as you have gone aftermarket gear goodluck.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2009, 01:17 PM   #8
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stattic
so i had a walker catback (lukey) with a bmc air filter and i had a very very deep sounding exhaust, very v8 sounding but today i got my 4480 pacemakers fitted and now it sounds very very tinny

will this sound deepen as they get older? i thought that more air and better flow = deeper sound.... am i wrong? i was told they will perform at their peek after 1-2 weeks of driving, will the sound come with it? what experience do you guys have with this sort of thing, im a little bit worried cuz the sound is disappointed
Hey dude, I've been looking at exhausts and from reading some threads in this forum people have gone from a nice sounding cat back exhaust to a not so nice sounding when adding pacemaker extractors on. I went looking and found this thread:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11239519

Read through it and you'll find others that have found out what you have. However when you get to Flexxy's posts you'll see that he's fixed the sound by replacing mufflers with hotdogs. Go have a read and watch his videos, they sound mean. Good luck with it.
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2009, 01:32 PM   #9
stalker
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i had paccy 4480's on my ED, it had a metal cat straight though muffler, 2.5" system, also had an XH snorkel to help the intake and a couple of other little bits, it sounds TUFF as nuts, it wont sound like a v8 but it did sound good for a 6. if you want it to sound like an 8 then you better buy one :p
XF ute 4.0ltr injected out of an ed with girl cam and 5speed, and an xd front end for good measure
stalker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2009, 01:35 PM   #10
Rob
Living the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz
replace with V8 - a 6 will never have the same sound.

the note can change a bit as the carbon builds up, but not a heap.

More air and better flow won't make it deeper. Extractors make the air flow smoother.
sixes can sound tough - as long as you don't try to make it sound like a V8.

Personally, I think the 4.0 is a good sounding motor when it's got good bits.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #11
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Don't bother with paying the premium for the magnaflow cat. Get into the group buy for the Ballistic 100cpsi cat. 2.5" ends with a 4" body at less than $200.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11251380
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #12
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im not sure what size the exhaust place wanted to sell to me, i think it was a 3" magnaflow but to be honest 190 for the ballistic + fitting will cost me more as i cant really fit them myself
the exhaust place offered me 250 for the magnaflow fitted, they were gonna doit for 180 if i got it done with the extractors but i didnt want to spend all the money at once and i wa nted to see how the sound changed piece by piece
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Old 05-03-2009, 02:29 PM   #13
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon
Hey dude, I've been looking at exhausts and from reading some threads in this forum people have gone from a nice sounding cat back exhaust to a not so nice sounding when adding pacemaker extractors on. I went looking and found this thread:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11239519

Read through it and you'll find others that have found out what you have. However when you get to Flexxy's posts you'll see that he's fixed the sound by replacing mufflers with hotdogs. Go have a read and watch his videos, they sound mean. Good luck with it.
thanks for the link, it was an interesting read
if i had of known that it was going to sound like this i might have gone with another brand but the performance ive gotten from the 4480s is absolutely awesome, i feel exhilarated but disappointed at the same time. hopefully with the bigger cat itll be deeper but i dont think ill get back the lumpy sound i had with the stock headers

to be honest the "***Before: 4495's, 2.5' Cat, 2.5' pipes with a large center muffler to a small rear muffler***" video sounded a lot better than the after video, not the the after one didnt sound tough i just preferred the first
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon

The old ride....
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Old 05-03-2009, 10:50 PM   #14
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok so i went for the ballistic group buy =)
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon

The old ride....
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Old 05-03-2009, 10:52 PM   #15
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stattic
ok so i went for the ballistic group buy =)
Great idea.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2009, 11:35 PM   #16
XR8GRL