Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Is it time: A new state for New England and the Hunter Valley?
Yes, the time has come for New England and the Hunter Valley to secede from NSW. 31 38.27%
No, this has been done before. Leave NSW as it is. 52 64.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-2010, 07:54 PM   #11
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
My orginal post to this thread started the idea of getting rid of state governemnts and having large regional councils.

I live in north QLD where the idea of a seperate state has been mooted for decades simply because the State Government doesnt look past the South Eastern part of the state.

The majority of QLD revenue comes from anywhere north of Gladstone and yet most of the budget is spend in the south eastern area of QLD.

Our Hospital here is dangerously understaffed (the staff are great no two ways about it), we lack Police (by as much as 70 officers), our roads are substandard, most of the states policy is centered around the south east.

We get a pityfull amount of money allocated to us for any "good" projects, yet we get money given to us for "dumb" projects just to appease the morons and those lacking in any form of IQ

All of this sounds familier doesnt it?

What will state hood achieve?
Nothing
We dont have the population base (nor does Tasmania) to warrant the massive expense to start a new state, nor do we have anyone with any intelligence here to run for a newly set up parliament (and how do i know this? simply by looking at the candidates that run for council here, who are hoplessly ignorant, pathetic, lack any form of vision, who couldnt run a chook raffle if it meant saving their lives)

We have too much government as it is, too much red tape, too many laws and bylaws, too much wasted money.

Look at Europe, how many countries there have 3 levels of Government?
They run just fine without the states.
And they have countries with tripple our population, yet here we are with 28million (?) people and we have 3 levels of government.

If I was to fork out money to change things, Id rather it be to remove the States and have regional councils which had its own federal representative who sat in federal parliament so he/she would then be somewhat more accountable.
Exactly, a solution I would rather see. To me this will limit the red tape and limit the public servants we pay for etc Plus it will unify the nation in terms of services such as power and water as well as simplify the justice system with one set of laws.

Then the Hunter regional council,Bundaberg regional council and Pilbara regional council will have just as much say as Sydney, Brisbane and Perth with less expense to the tax payer. Like has been said, it works all through Europe.