Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 22-01-2009, 05:01 PM   #1
XD427
XD427

Default Fiesta troubles

Hi guys just wanted to know if anyone could help me with the problems im having with my wifes 2004 Fiesta. It stated a while ago with every now and again having trouble starting would take a few go's and pumping accelerator to get it to start. It every now and then would stall for no apparent reason whilst driving not stopped and idling at 60km/h whilst accelerating. It has gotten worse recently at around 80km/h ive noticed what feels like a steering wobble/ shudder but not under 80 and only certain times. The other night it wouldnt idle and wouldnt go over 60km/h was shuddering and stallingf and bearly made it home. WTF could it be anyone else have similar dramas with there fiesta its an auto thats barely done 60,000kms???

Old 22-01-2009, 07:03 PM   #2
Adsy01

Have you checked the spark plugs and leads?
They're prone to rusting badly in a short time cause bad misfires and the like.
From there you'd have to look at fuel contamination and the fuel filter..

Elbach Lowered Coils - Rear sway bar - 12.5mm Axle Spacers - Rear disc brake conversion - 16" MP3 Rims
Tinted windows - Tinted Headlight surrounds - Clear side indicators- Phillips Xenon lighting - Colour Coded - ST Rear Spoiler - Smooth Rear Wiper - Ford leather gear knob & boot – Zetec S Sill Covers & Steering wheel - Leather centre armrest - Pioneer USB/CD player - JL Audio 4ch Amp, subwoofer & splits - Short aerial

The most "Standard" car I've ever owned!
Adsy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2009, 08:22 PM   #3
WPN XR6T
Useless

Definatly sounds like leads. I'm unsure of the history with spark plugs, but definatly worth a look if it is a common fault.

Happiness is owning more Fords. Bliss is owning more XR's!

- 2005 BA II XR8 "The Dino"
- 2005 BA II XR6T "The T"
- 2008 WQ XR4 "The Fez"
WPN XR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2009, 11:06 AM   #4
Adsy01

It's very common, there are a few threads on here somewhere regarding it.
In short, water collects in the spark plug wells and causes rust. The plugs seem to rust far worse than the leads, but some guys have had trouble with both.

Elbach Lowered Coils - Rear sway bar - 12.5mm Axle Spacers - Rear disc brake conversion - 16" MP3 Rims
Tinted windows - Tinted Headlight surrounds - Clear side indicators- Phillips Xenon lighting - Colour Coded - ST Rear Spoiler - Smooth Rear Wiper - Ford leather gear knob & boot – Zetec S Sill Covers & Steering wheel - Leather centre armrest - Pioneer USB/CD player - JL Audio 4ch Amp, subwoofer & splits - Short aerial

Old 23-01-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
XD427
XD427

I didnt replace the spark plugs when I serviced it last cause I was told they were iridium plugs and didnt need replacing till 100,000km old??
Old 23-01-2009, 01:15 PM   #6
Adsy01

I'd just pull one out and have a look to be sure.. I've got iridums in mine that have done about 15k and i got a small miss after cleaning the engine bay. I pulled them out and and gave them a clean and all was good. Iridium plugs dont "wear out" for an expected life of 100k or whatever, but they can still foul up like any other plug if contaminated.

The orginal plugs i took out of of my car at 30k were rusted badly.

Old 30-01-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
XD427
XD427

Thanks guys the plugs were _ucked werent even iridium were some motorsport el cheapo's found one lead was stuffed so replaced that and still wouldnt start. Ended up replacing the coil pack and its running fine now once its started but its still having dramas starting takes 2-3 go's + pumpin accel. pedal to get it to start??? I had a lube mobil dude come out to do diagnostic before replacing the coil pack to see what was going on and no code came up for coil pack malfunction kept saying somethin bout throttle sensor module or something??checked pricing on throttle body complete and there like $600 with sensor or $90 for the sensor alone but the guys @ amcap and Ford both said theyve never had one in or sold one
Old 31-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #8
tism
Starter Motor

My WP had a similar problem about 2 years ago. Turned out to be a corroded injector wire. Thats how it was explained to me by the dealer who did the warranty work.
tism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2009, 12:16 AM   #9
mas89

my 2004 zetec has just done 70,000 and had a problem starting first time, it came down to the battery, changed the battery and the problem was gone. this modern day cars need all the volts to start sometimes.
in reguards to the plugs mine to have gone rusty..some place will try and tell you that you need the $25 a piece iridium plugs but ford said it depends on what month it was made.
mas89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post