Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Default No Ford/FPV in wheels shootout...

Picked up the latest wheels mag as was interested in the new focus rs 500 v the cosworth sti subi and noticed they had a performance car shootout for cars under 100g...including 3 holdensfrom memory and the usual suspects...EXCEPT NO FORDS.......HUH.......isnt that the most hotly contested comparison holden v ford let alone the dominance a typhoon would have in that mix of cars alone. Id be interested if anyone has already read the comp and they explain why therir was no fpv/ford....

1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

From memory they only test cars that are released in 2010, which includes major updates (new motors, series II etc.). Which is probably why the new HSVs are there, SIDI was this year aswell. AFM was 2009 so there will probably be no SS's in the comparo?

No Fords have been updates this year so that would be why there are none there.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

It was Motor Magazine and judging by the cover (I haven't opened it yet) it is Bang For Buck. There would be no Fords in there because there hasn't been any significant updates in the Ford/FPV range in 2010. Seems ok to me.
Old 14-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #4
1TUFFUTE
Banned

ahh ok it just appeared to me all it was was another sub 100k performance comp not bang for ya buck. Maybe i issed that one tho...cool
Old 14-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Hot Tuner is next month, that's what id be more looking out for, it was bang for your buck MOTOR mag, no updates for FG = no show in bang 10" no biggie, should be interesting next year with the new S/C V8's ;)

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #6
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Can someone tell me what the 'major upgrade' was to the 300C SRT8?? And also the SV6??
And why there were 3 x VW hatches???

I've already written a letter to them with my opinions... hopefully they read and print...
Old 15-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #7
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Its a strange rule when you think about it. Why not just compare all cars that are on sale at the same time? Who's to say one of the older updated cars wouldnt win it? People looking for a performance car to buy might look at the comparo and not see a Ford there so not bother looking at one.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #8
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

FPV and Ford also never seem to want to push the F6 or XR6T etc. It is really strange really, you have by far the highest performing cars ever made by a mainstream Australian company and yet Ford try to keep it secret. I suspected they always played it down big time when the current generations of Boss V8 were around as the cheaper cars made the halo car look damn silly.
Old 15-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #9
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The SRT8 from what I could read was the fact that it now has an LSD, the SV6 was the engine change to SIDI. I only remember two VW's though, the GTI and R (was there a diesel as well?)

The field was very very ordinary though but I loved the write up of the commodore, it got hammered (except by Luffy).

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
Can someone tell me what the 'major upgrade' was to the 300C SRT8?? And also the SV6??
And why there were 3 x VW hatches???

I've already written a letter to them with my opinions... hopefully they read and print...
Old 15-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #10
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocol
The SRT8 from what I could read was the fact that it now has an LSD, the SV6 was the engine change to SIDI. I only remember two VW's though, the GTI and R (was there a diesel as well?)

The field was very very ordinary though but I loved the write up of the commodore, it got hammered (except by Luffy).
The SRT8 didn't have LSD originally?? Wow... I'm stunned...

And as for the SIDI... ?? Well i'd hardly have thought it was a 'significant' mechanical upgrade... maybe for the fuel misers... but its hardly a performance upgrade - we're talking bang for buck here...

I sometimes wonder how much of their articles are made up by the 'availability' of cars... as opposed to the 'eligibility' of the cars....
Old 15-08-2010, 10:31 PM   #11
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

ahh SIDI is a significant change from the old 3.6 and totally different power outputs 210 vs 195kw respectively so as much as its a *&$%box its well deserved to be in the field, FG has had no mechanical upgrades so misses a spot.

eligibility criteria is simply any new models or upgraded models (Mechanically) in 2010 get a spot if they are a sports variant of a vehicle sold in aust.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2010, 11:55 PM   #12
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
eligibility criteria is simply any new models or upgraded models (Mechanically) in 2010 get a spot if they are a sports variant of a vehicle sold in aust.
That and last years winners are eligible as well.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2010, 04:31 PM   #13
1TUFFUTE
Banned

who won by the way...
Old 16-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #14
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ahh now you would have to buy the magazine for that wouldn't you.

*cough* GTI *cough*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
who won by the way...
Old 18-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #15
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

I caught the cover of the new Wheels (September issue I assume) at the petrol station today. Coyote and Focus RS on the cover, anyone had a chance to read it? Its looks like they had some photos of the new front bar and some details on the final outputs. From what I could see there was only two pages in the news section so I didn't bother with the purchase.