Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 05-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
Katoomba

Default Replacing headlamp bulb

One of the headlamp bulbs has blown and the manual says, "Have Xenon bulbs changed by trained technician. There is risk of electric shock."

How do I know if I have Xenon bulbs?

2008 Zetec.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:41 PM   #2
Dusty1
Giddy up!

In Europe they have to have washers installed in the front bumper. they pop up and clean them or something.
I think they only came with the Titanium MB. i reckon an auto-elec could tell you, so could a mechanic. Or Supercheap to get the bulb and do it yourself.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoomba
One of the headlamp bulbs has blown and the manual says, "Have Xenon bulbs changed by trained technician. There is risk of electric shock."

How do I know if I have Xenon bulbs?

2008 Zetec.
The operating voltage is around 85volts BUT to produce that voltage from a 12v system you need a ballast which boosts the voltage to approx 20,000 volts to ignite the bulb [similar to a fluro tube] once its illuminated it stays at 85volts the reason for the washers is a legal one and as dusty1 said to clean the glass to prevent refractory effect of the beam of light spilling all over the place moral of the story easy to replace but keep ignition off or better still disconnect the battery if you want extra assurance

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
MOND30
If You Seek AU

I have a feeling that only the XR5 had Xenons. Your Zetec should be safe.

Cheers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5x..._OYiDekVUlmEhg
MOND30 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2011, 06:50 PM   #5
Katoomba

Thanks, folks.

Cheers, Ron.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:44 PM   #6
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Yep only MB XR5 had Xenons....a plus in my car buying decision (XR5 Vs Mazda6 Lux Sports). Really nice being *behind* those lights.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2011, 07:58 PM   #7
Katoomba

It's really hard to follow the directions on the manual to replace the bulb. It's got be one of the cheapest and shoddiest car manuals I've ever seen. The pages look photocopied and the pics are dark and blurry.

I hope they've improved this in the later models.
Old 20-01-2011, 02:34 PM   #8
Katoomba

Finally replaced the low beam bulb (yes, I know I'm slack but it's that time of the year).

It's a job I wouldn't want to do too often as it was the most complicated bulb replacement I've ever seen.

First you have to remove a screw holding the grill onto the body frame. This is a cheap plastic screw and just would not unscrew: I had to force it out it by levering it. I checked the other side and it was the same.

Then you have to remove two screws holding the complete headlamp assembly.

By gently bending the grille you have to remove that whole assembly from the side body panel.

Then remove the backing plate from the assembly, and pull out the bulb holder. Putting that bulb holder back in took over 30": it just wouldn't clip in.

Trying to get the whole light assembly back in while twisting the grille wasn't fun either.

It took over two hours to do the job.

Whatever happened the simple bulb replacement of earlier days?
Old 20-01-2011, 03:11 PM   #9
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Sealed beams are long gone, unfortunately.

When I last had a headlight blow on me (BA Futura), I looked and said 'too hard' and took it to an auto elec. About half an hour later all done, and I was about $50 worse off. For me, it was money well spent.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2011, 10:09 PM   #10
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have two +50 bulbs that I bought from the UK over a year ago. Haven't had the courage to install them yet...
Old 31-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #11
Katoomba

Default Re: Replacing headlamp bulb

The opposite side low beam blew on Friday. A bit quicker this time after the first experience: only took an hour.

Once again I had to cut off that plastic screw holding the grill onto the main assembly. There just doesn't seem to be any other way to get it out.

They don't make bulbs like they used to. My 2000 Laser has only ever had one bulb replaced: left front parking light. (Now that I've written they'll all blow at once this week. ;) ).
Old 31-07-2011, 10:33 PM   #12
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Default Re: Replacing headlamp bulb

I have managed to replace both sides of mine without touching the grill, its a bit tight and a bit fiddly but its doable and only takes about 15 minutes. Your right about modern globes, just don't make em like they used to.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post