Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Closed Thread

Old 16-12-2008, 07:47 AM   #1
SA-AUII-MAX
true blue

Default Is there life after Castrol TQ95?

Just finished the rebuild on my tranny, only to find out that there is no Castrol TQ95 immediate available in South Africa!!. When one is servicing the tranny with the filter kit from Ford (part no. ED 7B000 KTF), it says in the instructions that other oils are available as-well. For Shell this should be ATF XTR, for BP Autran LE and a few more were I can choose from. (If I wish to do that). I did a Google search regarding Castrol TQ95 and more than once I had to read that Castrol TQ95 is specially developed for the BTR gearboxes used on Falcons, and that one should only use Castrol TQ95. So say some others manufacturers about their ATF oil. What I like to hear from you is, are some of you using other brands safely so it can replace Castrol TQ95?. What makes this oil so special, while we got higher rated oils available today (Dexron level III). Somebody using Castrol TQ Dexron III? It's available over here.

Old 16-12-2008, 10:03 AM   #2
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dex3 will kill the trans. so unless you want to pull it out again (which i doubt) don't even consider it...
you can use any brand equivalent of TQ95. Valvoline make one, as do quite a few companies. it doesn't have to be castrol. a couple of members on here are taxi operators. they use whatever oil is cheapest at the time and still get around 350000km with regular servicing of the autos.

whatever you do MAKE SURE YOU DON'T USE DEX3.
Old 16-12-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

No you cant use dexron III, and you cant use normal ATF, only the XTR version. The oil for the BTR transmissions is specifically designed for them, it has a lot of anti foaming agents that dexron III etc doesn't, all i can suggest is to get some air freighted over to yourself.
Old 16-12-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
just me
AU2 XR8

valvoline 95LE is the same as castrol tq95, just valvolines version. i work at a transmission place in vic and thats all we use its good stuff hope that helps
This user likes this post:
Old 16-12-2008, 02:41 PM   #5
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

From my investigations on the differences in TQ-95 it has extra anti wear additives over normal dexron fluid to help the planetary gears from wearing.
Old 16-12-2008, 08:38 PM   #6
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

valvoline also make an oil called MAXLIFE that is ok to use in ford boxes...
Old 16-12-2008, 08:56 PM   #7
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

What rating is Transmax Z and is it ok with the BTR or should only be used in the T5?
Old 16-12-2008, 09:06 PM   #8
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Funny you mention that ..Transmax Z is actually a synthetic version to Dexron 3 specs.. I'm sure i'd seen somewhere guys using that but haven't been able to find out for sure .
Old 17-12-2008, 02:05 AM   #9
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

i'd be staying clear of any tranny fluid that you haven't pers0nally seen appr0ved to suit, anyway as i stated BTR trans fluids of all different brands have extra anti foaming agents in them, cause the BTR trans easily foam's up the transmission fluid, causing airated fluid giving insufficient lubrication and pressure. I have seen dexron 3 put into btr's before and they don't last long, like a couple hundred km's.

Im sure gregaust is also correct in saying that it has extra anti wear additives.

Dexron 2 is actually less foaming than dexron 3.
Old 17-12-2008, 03:38 AM   #10
SA-AUII-MAX
true blue

Thanks for all the advise. Today is reconciliation-day here in South Africa, so I'm trying to figure out what oil to use. Options are few, looks like the Focus is going to be the summers holiday transport. Will keep you posted.
Big thanks and a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.
This website is absolutely fabulous.

Cheers
Max
Old 21-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #11
woza
Starter Motor

Default Re: Is there life after Castrol TQ95?

What about using BTR Conversion Formula mixed with Dextron?

Thanks
Old 23-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #12
shayne93
66 Mustang

Sanggyong autos also use TQ95 so if sanggyong vehicles are available over there, look at what is recommended there for them.
Old 23-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #13
Kryton

Id has a guess that after 4 years, he may have already found some oil.
Closed Thread