Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-02-2019, 06:13 PM   #1
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 
Default Spider bomb in car?

Hi all,

Found a big female redback under the xr6 while checking the trans for leaks. It disappeared while I went to get the broom. I'm fine with spiders, have had huntsmans crawling up my legs while driving, but redbacks are evil. Other than parting the car out or torching it, does anyone have any suggestions on how to make sure it leaves? Anyone bug bombed their car? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-02-2019, 06:16 PM   #2
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: Spider bomb in car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
Hi all,

Found a big female redback under the xr6 while checking the trans for leaks. It disappeared while I went to get the broom. I'm fine with spiders, have had huntsmans crawling up my legs while driving, but redbacks are evil. Other than parting the car out or torching it, does anyone have any suggestions on how to make sure it leaves? Anyone bug bombed their car? Any suggestions are appreciated.
It's outside the car in that case... Spray the button with bug spray though a word of caution, the stuff will ruin any plastics it comes in contact with

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2019, 06:52 PM   #3
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Swap it for one of those Townsville Mustangs
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2019, 06:57 PM   #4
pwr4ce
Donating Member2

Quote:
Hi all,

Don’t know - I just baygonned the Everest to kill off a couple of passengers !
pwr4ce is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2019, 07:27 PM   #5
.:4:.
Kicking back

A few years back whilst loading my boat with fishing gear on a friday night i came across a big redback sitting on its egg sac under the ice box. I left it till the next morning to sort out because friday nights = beers. Saturday morning i bought some mortein. Low and behold the eggs had hatched and there was 200 junior redbacks scampering around. I sprayed the lot and went to town on the big female. Left it for a while so things were properly dead. As a precaution i scooped the big female into a plastic container and sealed it so even if it was just a bit drunk off the spray it would not be able to do evil spider things again. I was releived at actually finding the web because my kid was coming fishing on the boat and would typically sleep in the seat where the ice box is closest to.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2019, 08:39 PM   #6
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

You need to find the web... Redback Spiders rarely leave their web.
Seek out and destroy.

You have a 50% chance of living... Only the female Redback bites are dangerous.
Hmm... Assuming both sexes are equal in population.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2019, 08:43 PM   #7
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
Seek out and destroy.

The web is a bit more wooly then a normal spiders web if that helps. I had previously noticed the web but because it was 'different' i didnt worry about it. Had it been just a normal web then i would have got on it sooner.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2019, 08:52 PM   #8
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just surface spray the underside of your car including door sills, under bonnet and firewall. Dont put a bug bomb directly in your car, it will stain the interior.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 14-02-2019, 09:05 PM   #9
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
Seek out and destroy.

It was a female, it had a red stripe. The males are quite different looking. It was in its web, they make a messy web that attaches from the sill to the ground, I've had them for ages really but didn't know they were redbacks lol. I was thinking about throwing a redback under the car but it was going to be 4 inches and high flowing.

No one has confirmed to have died from a redback since the 50s, but they still suck.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2019, 09:17 PM   #10
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Red backs don’t worry me. They kill the baby brown snakes. I surface spray inside the doors on every wash.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2019, 09:37 PM   #11
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

I just had to, sorry.

GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2019, 09:47 PM   #12
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I lived in a bush hill setting in Warners Bay and there were always redbacks in the garage, and they infested a Camry and a Festiva parked outside. Those fine webs that looked like loose steel wool.

Occasionally I sprayed poison under the cars etc but redbacks do not worry me- even a big lady- they have small fangs and are pretty slow and weak.

That property also had a funnel web spider problem- mainly outside and underneath the bearers and joists. Had a male funnel web in my daughters room prowling for females- not that is concerning- fast, strong and aggressive with fangs that can puncture leather.

Then started finding more and more funnel web spiders outside- big females and athletic aggressive males- the lion of the spider world.

My last secretary's husband pulled a jumper on years ago with a large female redback and it bit him on the back and side around his lungs/heart.

He began feeling ill and was taken to hospital and was sick for a day but pulled up fine.

If it had been a funnel web spider biting close to heart/lungs may have been different.

Redbacks are not that much of a worry- they are docile-so just spray some outside contact 3 month poison under the car and around the door sills and you will be fine.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2019, 10:00 PM   #13
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

No one has confirmed to have died from a redback since the 50s, but they still suck.
err no they dont suck but they may bite.
Old 14-02-2019, 11:15 PM   #14
Maysik

HATE spiders so when my XB coupe arrived 18 months ago from being in a shed for over 20 years I went to town and bombed.
2 x under bonnet
one in each front foot well pointing up under dash
one in each of rear foot well pointing under front seats
2 x in the boot
2 x under the car.
Overkill? You bet it is but I felt better only ever found one carcass.

I gave this treatment to a small truck I got from a farm and glad I did. Those suckers were huge.
Maysik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2019, 11:17 PM   #15
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Spiders seem to love idling cars, especially ones that vibrate like diesels.

So to avoid spiders don’t idle your cars for too long especially diesel. I’ve seen spiders scurry towards diesel utes in the bush if they are idling.

I’m sure no one believes me lol.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2019, 12:06 AM   #16
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Spiders seem to love idling cars, especially ones that vibrate like diesels.

So to avoid spiders don’t idle your cars for too long especially diesel. I’ve seen spiders scurry towards diesel utes in the bush if they are idling.

I’m sure no one believes me lol.
True story. I remember reading about it not long ago. It was so effective scientists would leave an old diesel 4x4 in a paddock idling when they wanted to collect specimens.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2019, 08:16 AM   #17
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T View Post
True story. I remember reading about it not long ago. It was so effective scientists would leave an old diesel 4x4 in a paddock idling when they wanted to collect specimens.
Ha interesting, never seen it happen to a petrol (I have a Falcon Ute I keep running on hot days around the property), May be the harmonics or frequency or noise of how a diesel runs.

Of course all cars can be good nesting opportunity for spiders once left and parked, guess trick is to have ground clear of leaf litter and overhanging branches. Make the journey to the car unattractive
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2019, 08:25 AM   #18
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

you'd think so, but mine get spiders from sitting on a concrete surface - depends on your location.
Old 15-02-2019, 08:50 AM   #19
mr_xlr8
GT-P Whitey

Ive used the bomb heaps of times. No stains. Just peace of mind.

Current ride:
FG MKI 5.0L S/C 6SP Auto = 9.5/10

Previous Rides:
FG MKII GT-P 5.0L S/C 6SP MANUAL = 9/10
AU III 5 SPEED BLUEPRINT XR8 220KW= 8/10
BA XR8 BOSS 260 BLUEPRINT = 3/10
EB FAIRMONT WINDSOR 302 BURGUNDY = 6/10
mr_xlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2019, 05:29 PM   #20
roKWiz
Cabover nut

At my place due to a few large river redgum's, I used to be constantly removing Huntsman from my truck door jambs. I had a couple of redback under the KW. Every year just before summer I tape a couple of old bed sheets around the perimeter of the Kenworth and set off a roach bomb under it. Stops spiders and other crawlies from setting up camp until the winter.
6 month surface spray in the door jambs.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2019, 01:05 AM   #21
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_xlr8 View Post
Ive used the bomb heaps of times. No stains. Just peace of mind.
Me too.
Old 17-02-2019, 06:15 PM   #22
HRD998

I sometimes go spotlighting. Not long ago I was down the bottom paddock, one that is pretty dry and has lots of those big cracks in the ground due to the clay and wet/dry cycle. The spotlight picked up 100's if not more of shiny diamonds. So we checked those shiny diamonds. Huntsman's eyes. Lots of 'em, the ground was moving with the buggers.
So I wont park a car on cracked earth!
Cheers.
HRD998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2019, 06:30 PM   #23
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Driving last week, just after mucking around in the garden, and brushed off my leg what I thought was a largish dried leaf, got to where I was going and looked for said leaf on the floor...... No leaf.
I'm guessing a large huntsman is now living in my Ranger
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2019, 07:00 PM   #24
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thing with those spray bombs they say to only use it in a certain size room. Can't remember but it may have been something like 12m cubed. I would have a check before using. Otherwise surface spray under the seats and anywhere else they might hide. I've done that a few times over the years.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2019, 03:45 PM   #25
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We bombed our Ford Explorer Limited with about 10 cans under it one afternoon, out the front on the road. We had a Red belly snake living in the chassis rails, we could never get rid of it, once my wife was out and went to put our neice in the child seat , and there it was laying around on the running boards, by the time the fire brigade arrived it was gone again , pulled the wheels off went right over it couldnt get it.... My wife decided it was time to update just after that!.
Hemihunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2019, 05:10 PM   #26
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I reckon the use of a pressure washer on the underside of your car could be effective. I can't see how they could stay attached to your car if you blast them to high hell with high pressure water.

You could probably put some type of poison in the water too.

Just my 2c. It's what I would do.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2019, 05:15 PM   #27
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemihunter View Post
We bombed our Ford Explorer Limited with about 10 cans under it one afternoon, out the front on the road. We had a Red belly snake living in the chassis rails, we could never get rid of it, once my wife was out and went to put our neice in the child seat , and there it was laying around on the running boards, by the time the fire brigade arrived it was gone again , pulled the wheels off went right over it couldnt get it.... My wife decided it was time to update just after that!.
Lucky they are a pretty docile snake and are not known as an aggressive snake. As far as I'm aware they are defensive by nature, they may strike to protect themselves but will not actively go after humans.
Old 19-02-2019, 08:16 PM   #28
xr8territory
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hot water will take care of Redbacks. Give the underside a proper steam clean.
XW UTE, XW FAIRMONT, XT GT, XT Fairmont, EF XR8, XH XR8 UTE, XH XR8 UTE, AU UTE, Renault Scenic, XF UTE, BA XR8 UTE, TERRITORY, Chrysler Voyager, WS FIESTA ZETEC,TERRITORY TITANIUM, BA UTE, Nissan Pathfinder, AU Falcon Forte, BA XR8 UTE.
xr8territory is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2019, 11:18 AM   #29
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
Lucky they are a pretty docile snake and are not known as an aggressive snake. As far as I'm aware they are defensive by nature, they may strike to protect themselves but will not actively go after humans.
Have you ever tried telling that to your wife
Hemihunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2019, 12:59 PM   #30
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Nah mate, my gf only has experience with trouser snakes.
2 users like this post: