Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 09:41 PM   #10471
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Who wants to play spot the rednecks of AFF?

When you consider (just even in the last 12 months or so) how the Indian Sikh community has lent a helping hand to fellow Australians after the devastating bushfires, during our lockdowns, Covid-19 impacted residents, etc, etc, pretty much anyone in hardship or in need.., to call these people a product of a "third world **** hole", you are an absolute f***ing disgrace.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...18-p55d9a.html

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/sikh-gro...led-as-legends

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/healt...-need-c-753336

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/melbour...singh/12482508

Bet you any money the poster above (and his mates) have not done a single thing, or anywhere near what the Indian community have done to help fellow Australians, particularly in the last year or so. Couldn't even bother to lift a f***ing finger to help a fellow Australian. Yet, they're quick to hit the 'Thanks' button to an defamatory comment.

Burns after 3 years without a thanks (if that’s how you measure your worth) I guess.

Live by, die by Ticky...
2 users like this post:
Old 04-05-2021, 09:50 PM   #10472
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Default Covid 19 -

Quote:

When you consider (just even in the last 12 months or so) how the Indian Sikh community has lent a helping hand to fellow Australians after the devastating bushfires, during our lockdowns, Covid-19 impacted residents, etc, etc, pretty much anyone in hardship or in need.., to call these people a product of a "third world **** hole", you are an absolute f***ing disgrace.

Bet you any money the poster above (and his mates) have not done a single thing, or anywhere near what the Indian community have done to help fellow Australians, particularly in the last year or so. Couldn't even bother to lift a f***ing finger to help a fellow Australian. Yet, they're quick to hit the 'Thanks' button to an defamatory comment.

I clicked that I because I find pottery beige funny especially when he is trolling. You are way too sensitive. You need a hug.

You also have no idea what pottery beige and his mates have done. You are the disgrace
Old 04-05-2021, 09:53 PM   #10473
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

What, paid a membership, so as not to be banned?
2 users like this post:
Old 04-05-2021, 09:54 PM   #10474
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

Most of my team are Indian who are also now Australian. They are not happy, nor am I, but I can't help but think it's out of control. That means we need to work harder though and not take the easy way out.

Incidentally, we hired someone new last week. They have been coughing every day now pretty constantly. Everyone has been silent on it, except me... Today I'd had enough and brought it up with our manager and consensus was they should get tested and not come back to work until confirmed "safe" (however unlikely they have "it" here).

I'm concerned though, the new guy works for a colleague, but it seems like the usual flu thing isn't going to be curtailed because of politeness.
This user likes this post:
Old 04-05-2021, 10:06 PM   #10475
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Burns after 3 years without a thanks (if that’s how you measure your worth) I guess.

Live by, die by Ticky...
Don't I count?

All I can say is don't forget these citizens were only allowed to leave the country based on "strict" conditions and approval of the government. They didn't just pop over for a holiday, although I'm not sure how weddings fit in. As for Slater, the crew are there to do a job, work, feed the family, that kinda of thing, not sure if he would have received a big pay day like the players.

I'm beginning to wonder why so many in parliament had dual citizenships at one stage. Maybe they knew it was handy to have a backup plan.

I can't see the situation improving by 15th May. Some big decisions will need to be made.

FWIW, a couple of mates with family there are saying its several, albeit, large pockets which are being smashed. What you see on TV is not what is happening across the entire country. So maybe they can look at bringing some people back from the "not so hot" spots....before it gets hot. No easy way to deal with this.
3 users like this post:
Old 04-05-2021, 10:13 PM   #10476
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Don't I count?

All I can say is don't forget these citizens were only allowed to leave the country based on "strict" conditions and approval of the government. They didn't just pop over for a holiday, although I'm not sure how weddings fit in. As for Slater, the crew are there to do a job, work, feed the family, that kinda of thing, not sure if he would have received a big pay day like the players.

I'm beginning to wonder why so many in parliament had dual citizenships at one stage. Maybe they knew it was handy to have a backup plan.

I can't see the situation improving by 15th May. Some big decisions will need to be made.

FWIW, a couple of mates with family there are saying its several, albeit, large pockets which are being smashed. What you see on TV is not what is happening across the entire country. So maybe they can look at bringing some people back from the "not so hot" spots....before it gets hot. No easy way to deal with this.

Too many confused statements there. I’ll circle back tomorrow. Bed time...
Old 04-05-2021, 10:28 PM   #10477
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I work with quite a few Indian blokes at work who are Aussie citizens.

I asked one who said his dad has it but thankfully had a first dose of vaccine so should be ok. I asked another one and he said he knows heaps of people that have it.

Not any of us know anyone who has had it or anyone who knows anyone who has had it in Australia. It is really bad over there.

It will be interesting to see what happens next week regarding the ban because it won't be getting any better anytime soon that's for sure and I don't see us rapidly increasing quaratines places if we haven't done it for the past year.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:43 PM   #10478
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

When you consider (just even in the last 12 months or so) how the Indian Sikh community has lent a helping hand to fellow Australians after the devastating bushfires, during our lockdowns, Covid-19 impacted residents, etc, etc, pretty much anyone in hardship or in need.., to call these people a product of a "third world **** hole", you are an absolute disgrace.
But it is one, and they live there, so why is it a disgrace?
Maybe i need a red dot on my forehead to see the problem here.
2 users like this post:
Old 04-05-2021, 11:27 PM   #10479
JasonACT
Away on leave

We use blue ones now, didn't you know?

Old 05-05-2021, 01:38 AM   #10480
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

I tried to hit your thanks button but somehow you just don't cut it, don't take it personally but hitting the thanks button can be done for many reasons and it was not done for what you think.
What I'm trying to say is like others here "lighten up" in these hard times.
4 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2021, 01:48 AM   #10481
zilo
BANNED

Quote:

I for one have no sympathy for foreign natives who chose to fly to India in the last 12 months and when things got too hot decides to head for the safety of another passport.....suddenly 9000 Indians want to come home?

Give me a bloody break...

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
Old 05-05-2021, 07:17 AM   #10482
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Michael Slater calls India travel ban a 'disgrace', as Australians face jail time for returning home

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-...ison/100113674

It's a bloody disgrace alright! Mr 'what have I missed' almost f'd up the Covid-19 pandemic within Australia, f'd up the quarantine arrangements for returning Australian's, f'd up the vaccination roll out, and now wants to put Australians in jail for trying to come home!?? He's on a roll!
We really need to stop putting sporting figures near a camera or microphone.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 05-05-2021, 11:25 AM   #10483
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Australian cricket legend Mike Hussey tests positive to COVID-19

Australian cricket legend Michael Hussey has reportedly tested positive to the coronavirus as he remains trapped in India.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...f44cfe9550f5cd

Indian Premier League suspended over COVID crisis

The Indian Premier League will take an indefinite pause after several players began to test positive, including Indian wicketkeeper Wriddhiman Saha.

It comes as India is in the midst of a nightmarish outbreak of COVID-19, shattering horrific records.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...6a1772dc68008f
Old 05-05-2021, 12:01 PM   #10484
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Don't I count?

Interesting point, McGowan was petitioning hard on the temporary border ban for India. He got it, but I am yet to see him supporting it now it is in.......he has gone very quiet on the subject!

I would have thought he would jump to Scotties defence...............yeah right.... politics!!!!

Old 05-05-2021, 12:02 PM   #10485
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT May 4th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

12 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.049%.

1 new case and 0 deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.991% and active cases 24.

The UK had a higher 1,946 cases yesterday and 4 deaths.

Just under 42k new cases in the USA yesterday and 495 deaths sees CMR at 1.780%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Asia passes 41M cases;
Sri Lanka finally ended its run of 8 consecutive record braking days albeit by only 9 cases;

Maldives (601);
Cambodia (938);
Réunion (1,220)
Bahrain (1,418);and
Nepal (7,587)

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

No countries move above the 90th percentile for their 10 day average while Palestine, Kenya and Ethiopia drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 06-05-2021 at 10:57 AM.
3 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2021, 12:17 PM   #10486
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
I for one have no sympathy for foreign natives who chose to fly to India in the last 12 months and when things got too hot decides to head for the safety of another passport.....suddenly 9000 Indians want to come home?

Give me a bloody break...
I wouldnt stop there, its hardly coincidental that the property purchase/rental market is in short supply and hyper inflated at the same time every man and his dog return to the safety of Australia.
All those people fortunate enough to live and work overseas now returning home and forcing permenant residents out of their own markets.
This has also had an effect on the auto market as they source transport.

Soon as things settle down overseas they'll be gone in a heartbeat bacl to their former lives leaving us with a fire sale.
5 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2021, 12:49 PM   #10487
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
Interesting point, McGowan was petitioning hard on the temporary border ban for India. He got it, but I am yet to see him supporting it now it is in.......he has gone very quiet on the subject!

I would have thought he would jump to Scotties defence...............yeah right.... politics!!!!
I think we are getting some of the issues mixed up. Last I heard, McGowan's gripe was the purpose of travel being approved to hot spots i.e. wedding. I don't follow him religiously, so he may have said something else that I've missed.

I don't think most people have an issue with the temporary border closure, well I certainly don't, but the "jail term" is the thing that sits a bit funny. Has ANY premier come out publicly to back the jail term penalty? And how temporary is temporary, because it ain't gonna be fixed by the 15 May.

Obviously lots on here don't agree.

Anyone who is not sure if the penalties are proportionate, just ask yourself, how would one have reacted if this was imposed by Dan Andrews Will bet my left nut the response would be completely different. So yes, I agree there are elements of politics.
Old 05-05-2021, 01:28 PM   #10488
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
I think we are getting some of the issues mixed up. Last I heard, McGowan's gripe was the purpose of travel being approved to hot spots i.e. wedding. I don't follow him religiously, so he may have said something else that I've missed.

I don't think most people have an issue with the temporary border closure, well I certainly don't, but the "jail term" is the thing that sits a bit funny. Has ANY premier come out publicly to back the jail term penalty? And how temporary is temporary, because it ain't gonna be fixed by the 15 May.

Anyone who is not sure if the penalties are proportionate, just ask yourself, how would one have reacted if this was imposed by Dan Andrews Will bet my left nut the response would be completely different. So yes, I agree there are elements of politics.
The penalties are prescribed by the act from 2015 aren't they? I don't think it's a political thing.
Old 05-05-2021, 01:44 PM   #10489
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The penalties are prescribed by the act from 2015 aren't they? I don't think it's a political thing.
Agree, of course the act itself is not political.

See post #10441.

"At the height of the pandemic last year, the government beefed up its Biosecurity Act to give the health minister near unconditional powers bypassing parliament."

I don't know specifically what changed, and its too dry a reading to even contemplate going through it. Anyway, it got through with very little public scrutiny.
Old 05-05-2021, 01:50 PM   #10490
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A quick google brought this up. This is the 2017 revision of the Biosecurity Act.

Quote:
116 Civil penalty for failing to comply with a requirement of a human health response zone determination

A person to whom a requirement in a determination made under section 113 (human health response zone) applies must comply with the requirement.

Civil penalty: 30 penalty units.
I find these acts very hard to read sometimes, so not sure if this clause is it.

At the commonwealth level, 1 penalty point = $222 I think.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:04 PM   #10491
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:

No mixing up on McGowan - he has been silient since the ban came in, which is before the penalties where stated.

He asked for it:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-...ases/100086558

He heard that it was probably coming:

https://www.9news.com.au/national/co...0-eb6d5693854b

then nothing since......even before any talk of the penalties

But on that, are the people upset at that think there should be nothing resulting from circumventing the "no travel from India"? I am glad a gov finally thought about it and made it clear that you cannot just come in through the back door, rather than realising after a thousand odd people did it and we have our hotel quarantine blown out of the water by huge case numbers.

We now have breathing space to work out what to do in a controlled fashion. Don't get me wrong, I have said this is temporary and should be. I am expecting the Feds to have a good answer in the next 10 days, and will be disappointed if the dont.

4 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2021, 02:36 PM   #10492
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Agree, of course the act itself is not political.

See post #10441.

"At the height of the pandemic last year, the government beefed up its Biosecurity Act to give the health minister near unconditional powers bypassing parliament."

I don't know specifically what changed, and its too dry a reading to even contemplate going through it. Anyway, it got through with very little public scrutiny.
Here's the bit everyone is frothing at the mouth about. Appears to have been there since the original act.

Quote:
38 Requirement to comply with direction

(1) A biosecurity officer, human biosecurity officer or chief human biosecurity officer may give a direction to an accompanying person for a child or incapable person.

Note: See also section 572 (general provisions relating to directions).

(2) The direction must be for the purpose of ensuring the compliance of the child or incapable person with a requirement under this Chapter.

(3) An accompanying person who is given a direction under subsection (1) must comply with the direction.

Fault‑based offence

(4) A person commits an offence if:

(a) the person is an accompanying person; and

(b) the person is given a direction under this section; and

(c) the person fails to comply with the direction.

Penalty: Imprisonment for 5 years or 300 penalty units, or both.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2021, 03:00 PM   #10493
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Zombie alert for NSW. Looks like a barbecue sales rep.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:03 PM   #10494
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
No mixing up on McGowan - he has been silient since the ban came in, which is before the penalties where stated.

He asked for it:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-...ases/100086558

He heard that it was probably coming:

https://www.9news.com.au/national/co...0-eb6d5693854b

then nothing since......even before any talk of the penalties

But on that, are the people upset at that think there should be nothing resulting from circumventing the "no travel from India"? I am glad a gov finally thought about it and made it clear that you cannot just come in through the back door, rather than realising after a thousand odd people did it and we have our hotel quarantine blown out of the water by huge case numbers.

We now have breathing space to work out what to do in a controlled fashion. Don't get me wrong, I have said this is temporary and should be. I am expecting the Feds to have a good answer in the next 10 days, and will be disappointed if the dont.

Fair point. The ban was called after national cabinet so technically everyone is supportive. I haven't heard any premier come out and publicly back the feds, and I think its mainly to do with the controversy of the penalty, which has taken all the limelight to what was a sensible decision to temporary close borders.

But as FairmontGS pointed out, the penalties have been there all along. Obviously not many people knew. Would really like to see a test case. Interesting comments from the PM saying that the probability of anyone being jailed would be zero. In that case, may as well remove it from the act. I also don't think pollies should be pre-empting (influencing?) what magistrates might or might not do.

Also been thinking, what would happen if someone passed away during the lock out period. Is there a responsibility of the gov to repatriate citizens back? Now that would really be a difficult one to manage if there were many cases. Pray to God we don't have to find out.

Quote:
Here's the bit everyone is frothing at the mouth about. Appears to have been there since the original act.
Edit: just read that you mentioned it has been there since the start.

Last edited by T3rminator; 05-05-2021 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:27 PM   #10495
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

Get off your high horse. You have been the person who has attacked non stop in this thread, now you want to play shame on you games

If it keeps covid from taking hold here again, i'm all for the ban. You'd be the first one to whinge if we started getting cases again from an indian in quarantine.
Old 05-05-2021, 06:56 PM   #10496
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It was, it's just they made it clear about the penalties to discourage people from working around it.

Then Scomo comes out saying it is very unlikely someone would receive those penalties when the backlash started.

They might as well not even of mentioned the maximum penalties in the first place

Federal Court challenge against the ban has been lodged and will be expedited. It will be interesting to see what happens with that.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:45 PM   #10497
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

deleteds

Last edited by pottery beige; 05-05-2021 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:01 PM   #10498
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:

Im guessing you have done heaps?
Old 05-05-2021, 09:42 PM   #10499
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Coronavirus hits G7 foreign ministers meeting in London

https://www.theage.com.au/world/euro...05-p57p8n.html

"A British official told Reuters that two delegates from India tested positive on Tuesday night, London time, and as a result, the entire delegation is now self-isolating."
Old 05-05-2021, 10:15 PM   #10500
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These two guys like each others posts repeatedly, and type in big bold black letters.
3 users like this post:
Closed Thread