Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-02-2018, 07:09 PM   #31
lovford
Banned

Default Re: Confirmation, v8 commodore was killed in 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Well what is it you want, sports suspension or a smooth ride?
There’s always going to be a compromise somewhere, the falcon may be smoother but has more body roll.

I have a VE SS with FE2 suspension and actually fitted stiffer springs. Corners well for a 2T wagon, still smooth on most surfaces and no rattles.
In my opinion, fords sports suspension is much better than holdens.
lovford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2018, 09:08 PM   #32
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovford View Post
In my opinion, fords sports suspension is much better than holdens.
Maybe in YOUR opinion. But in the opinion of professional vehicle reviewers, the fords are slightly softer but have more body roll.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2018, 09:42 PM   #33
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Having owned numerous cars from both brands, I have to agree with ^^^.

I had a BA2 XR6, and found it firm, but not as firm as the FE2 in the VZ Commodore at the time. There was a noticeable difference. I had an FG XR6 for 2 weeks (1500km) and found it a little firmer - but then some of that could have been the bigger wheels (less sidewall) and it was still softer than the FE2 VE SSV.

When I got my G6, I quite liked the "luxury sport" suspension that the G6 & G6E got - it's similar to the FE1 in the CalaisV - often colloquially called "FE1.5" as it's softer than FE2, but still quite a bit firmer than stock - so in the same league as Fords L/S G-series suspension.

About 3 years back, I had the opportunity to get some ultra-low km springs & shocks from a GS - which are effectively the XR6/8 level of hardness. It was a big jump in firmness in my G6 (I'd done 120k on the OEM stuff, and I've since done 100k on these), but it's still not as firm as the VF SSV - it's between the CalaisV's FE1 & the SSV's FE2.

The FG does tend to body roll more than the Commodore doing the same speeds on the same corners - this is a fact borne out in many road tests, and easily repeated yourself if you have access to both vehicles. However I find that when you hook into a corner well in the FG, even though it does roll a bit more than the Commodore, it takes a more compliant "set" around the corner - being much more stable & predictable, and doesn't skip off track over little imperfections in the road like the FE2 Commodores do, making them feel a little nervous on the limit.

Just depends what you prefer - both have their merits, and different people like different things - one is not necessarily worse than the other, it's just what characteristics are important to the driver.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: