Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #31
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
But just goes to show that despite all the spoilers and hi-po motors in the B-cars and 'performance' marketing, they cant shed their budget R&D family hack origins. But I've got to wonder how a decent front undertray and splitter would help it.
of course, they might build them better (to handle higher speeds) if we had an autobahn from brisbane to melbourne
Old 30-08-2010, 03:15 PM   #32
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
They were both "unsettled". The buffeting from the air was quite noticeable and I had to be rather "active" to keep them going where I wanted them to.

This was on the Barkly and Stuart Hwys pre-labor (i.e. it was legal). One interesting observation is that at 220km/h it seemed perfectly OK and just got squirrelly as it approached 250.

The F6 got there are lot quicker and I only stayed there for 20-30 seconds before backing off to 220 because it felt "unsafe". The GT-P I held for maybe 4 or 5 minutes on the big straight between Avon Downs and Barkly Road House and really only backed off when I observed the fuel gauge heading down a bit quickly and it is not fun pushing a GT-P. The GT-P also flt a bit "unsafe" but at the time I did not care due to other circumstances.

The datto is a bit of a trap as it feels perfectly stable at any speed and will creep up quite quickly if you don't watch it.
You would have had a real issue on your hands it a road train went past the other way lol with all the wind they carry along it may have flipped the flapper lol

I remember way back when I was young & foolish also doing an unsafe speed in a 351 XC Fairmont GXL with a FMX box & 2.75 ratio diff, 6000 revs in top gear speedo showing past 220 which was as far as it read from memory with all the standard worn shocks etc
Seduce XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2010, 05:18 PM   #33
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
the people doing this imho are insane
Not as insane as the guys doing 222mph in this

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2009...ed-camaro.aspx
Old 30-08-2010, 05:39 PM   #34
MexicanBatman
Banned

Quote:
Yeh I had a speedo like that once.......I got it fixed though.
That vids legit, that was the most powerful magna at the time, if it were still around probably be the 3rd now, it had 266kw atw on the old engine and lots more on the new built one, but the car burned to the ground, with the most powerful magna I know putting out 507hp at the wheels...

Magnas were the lowest drag of any local car ever made, combined with fwd they are a pretty efficient package and high speeds are easily obtained on less power

The 180kw ralliart was limited to 240km/h and did it easy as you like... My tj awd was heaps better at high speed than my FG g6et

Last edited by andrewg6e; 30-08-2010 at 05:50 PM.
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2010, 05:53 PM   #35
barra265t
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewg6e
That vids legit, that was the most powerful magna at the time, if it were still around probably be the 3rd now, with the most powerful magna I know putting out 507hp at the wheels...

Magnas were the lowest drag of any local car ever made, combined with fwd they are a pretty efficient package and high speeds are easily obtained on less power

The 180kw ralliart was limited to 240km/h and did it easy as you like... My tj awd was heaps better at high speed than my FG g6et

Was wishing that video was a fake. What next.. a boosted '98 Camry pulling 280? So much for Aussie engineering... those Magnas were released at the time of the EF/EL's.
barra265t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2010, 06:00 PM   #36
MexicanBatman
Banned

They were Aussie engineered, probably more Aussie than a VE commodore.. The appearance was similar to the jdm diamante but that's it, they were decent cars, but sadly for them the 2 generations beforehand were terrible and no one wants a big fwd car... The magna had a lot of Aussie firsts for a large local built sedan first local car with abs first with tcl first with awd first 5auto and much more...
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2010, 06:03 PM   #37
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra265t
Was wishing that video was a fake. What next.. a boosted '98 Camry pulling 280? So much for Aussie engineering... those Magnas were released at the time of the EF/EL's.
The XR6T did 307, it was just unstable doing it but maybe not as unstable as the Magna looked doing "280" on the ricer speedo.

Google up Porsche or Fererri doing high speed......huge difference
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2010, 06:13 PM   #38
barra265t
Banned

Quote:
The XR6T did 307, it was just unstable doing it but maybe not as unstable as the Magna looked doing "280" on the ricer speedo.

Google up Porsche or Fererri doing high speed......huge difference
Did the magna look unstable in that video? I thought the fact he didnt end up on the wrong side of the road or off the road altogether meant the car was stable (in a straight line, no corners ).

I always like to think that humble Aussie engineering can somehow make a fool of the billions spent in Euro/Jap supercar development. Wishful thinking.
barra265t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2010, 08:52 PM   #39
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Cool

Quote:
How did you get an EB to 199, had one new back in the day and the wind noise was scaring me at anything over 140. Anyone remember the EL GT road test and the embarrassing top speed of something like 185 before the tailshaft came undone?
Oh yesss my EB stopped at 199 on the dash but climbed to 245 on the trip computer , after i pulled over it took forever for the numbers to count back to 200 You want proof ??
Sorry , Nothing i'm putting into this thread but the sargeant of the Emerald police station was buckled in beside me at the time ....

Their HWY falcons were way slower in top speed than my Ghia .....(mine had a blower though)
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2010, 08:56 PM   #40
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduce XR6
You would have had a real issue on your hands it a road train went past the other way lol with all the wind they carry along it may have flipped the flapper lol
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2010, 10:02 PM   #41
nb_351
building the xe...

Quote:
How did you get an EB to 199, had one new back in the day and the wind noise was scaring me at anything over 140. Anyone remember the EL GT road test and the embarrassing top speed of something like 185 before the tailshaft came undone?
oh i didnt say it was comfy or easy lol was quite hairy, and being 18 at the time probably wasnt the smartrst thing to do you know...
it was on a local freeway, i wont incriminate myself anymore lol
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post