Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-01-2011, 08:49 AM   #31
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Go the digital !!
Seiko Sports 150
Got this new in 1981... bit beaten up, bit it's still crankin on.
Replaced the band recently.

https://www.fordforums.com.au/photos/data/2937/DSC05023.jpg[/IMG]
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 04:02 PM   #32
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC
Ok, , here are some pics of my ever growing collection. Yeah I have an obsession but some of these watches will only increase in value over the years. I do buy and sell a lot ! ! ! !

Ocean 7 Lm-2..................................... cool watch made by a boutique place in switzerland...
Yeah I have an obsession !
Ocean 7 is a small American watch company based in Florida and only sell their watches on-line.

Having owned my own watch company and been in the watch industry for over 20 years, I'd guess they import the cases from China where 80 - 90% of all watches are made these days.

The Chinese can make very good cases if you supply them with very specific specifications and pay extra for quality control (like I did).
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 04:12 PM   #33
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I have 2, a Seiko kinetic that is 15 years old that I wear most days given to me by my first wife and a Tag Heuer that I swapped for Glock about 10 years ago.

You did well.
Tags are OK and very cleverly marketed but way over priced.
They were (don't know if they still are) Swiss cases with the same Swiss ETA movements as used in a plethora of brands.

I was importing the same cases with Citizen movements (Myota) for USD$65.00 and selling them to jewellers for AUS$160, who retailed them for $450.00
Old 09-01-2011, 05:00 PM   #34
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
Ocean 7 is a small American watch company based in Florida and only sell their watches on-line.

Having owned my own watch company and been in the watch industry for over 20 years, I'd guess they import the cases from China where 80 - 90% of all watches are made these days.

The Chinese can make very good cases if you supply them with very specific specifications and pay extra for quality control (like I did).

They are American, but use Swiss Movements and are assembled in Switzerland. Most likely with China Cases....

Therefore still swiss made ! ( thankfully ) - - -

AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #35
XRATE-UTERUS
Banned

Quote:
Yeh heaps of places, you do have a license don't you.........
Nope, why would you want a glock unless your a cop or security dude.
XRATE-UTERUS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #36
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRATE-UTERUS
Why would you want a performance car unless you're a hoon or a criminal?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 05:57 PM   #37
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

Quote:
Old 09-01-2011, 06:13 PM   #38
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRATE-UTERUS
Why would you want glock even if you were a cop or a security dude? I would've traded for the watch too.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 07:57 PM   #39
XRATE-UTERUS
Banned

he traded the watch for the glock not not glock for the watch.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:06 PM   #40
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Post removed*****
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2011, 08:31 PM   #41
XRATE-UTERUS
Banned

Quote:
which are you then? lol
Old 10-01-2011, 10:05 PM   #42
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
You did well.
Tags are OK and very cleverly marketed but way over priced.
They were (don't know if they still are) Swiss cases with the same Swiss ETA movements as used in a plethora of brands.

I was importing the same cases with Citizen movements (Myota) for USD$65.00 and selling them to jewellers for AUS$160, who retailed them for $450.00
you will find alot of watches share movements.

mt georg jensen vice 389 has a rolex movement.

my watches are

george jensen vice 389 auto

certina spel titanium

titus geneve 1956 wind up

a grand orient

grand sieko

2 seiko divers watches

certina ladies watch from god knows when

2008 oris ladies watch

and my fossil work watch.

im looking at a 44mm panerai mariner, a breitling navimeter world and a TAG Heuer carrear calibre S Laptimer (not to bad at 5g)

ill try and remember more details like the moodels but i buy them when i see one i like and dont pay attention to details
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 12:09 AM   #43
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
Why would you want glock even if you were a cop or a security dude? I would've traded for the watch too.
The Glock cost me $825 including sales tax, the watch was worth much more.
I have sold hundreds over the years including to police and security guards as well as target shooters and property owners.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:54 AM   #44
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC
They are American, but use Swiss Movements and are assembled in Switzerland. Most likely with China Cases....

Therefore still swiss made ! ( thankfully ) - - -

Not necessarily AC/DC.
Depending on what vintage your model is, American marketers as well as others used Swiss cases until costs forced them to go Chinese. At one time I was the Australian agent for the American Belair Watch Company and they were using Swiss cases up until the early 90's and then changed to Chinese.

I am not privy to the case-back markings on your Ocean 7, so cannot tell the year of manufacture.

Up until a few years ago, Australian Customs would allow watches to be imported into Australia with "Swiss Made" on the dial as long as they contained a Swiss movement (like ETA). Didn't matter where the case was made or where it was assembled.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:49 PM   #45
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oris... nice
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #46
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

Anyone have actual photos of their "nice watches" ? ? ? ?
Old 11-01-2011, 10:27 PM   #47
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

ill post some 2moro
Old 12-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #48
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

I posted earlier about my favourite watch. This is it, a Laco Fileger. It's a replica of the original Luftwaffe pilot watch with a smaller movement/case. I bought this because Laco were one of the original manufacturers. I think the Stowa replicas are nicer but they are more pricey. Laco make a full size replica but they are designed to be worn over your flying jacket so a little big for a wrist watch.

This one is my biggest disappointment, A t-touch NASCAR edition. I bought it in New York a few years ago.The kids seem to think it's cool. It's got a compass, thermometer, altimeter.... Not sure why I bought it, I don't like it much.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #49
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
I posted earlier about my favourite watch. This is it, a Laco Fileger. It's a replica of the original Luftwaffe pilot watch with a smaller movement/case. I bought this because Laco were one of the original manufacturers. I think the Stowa replicas are nicer but they are more pricey. Laco make a full size replica but they are designed to be worn over your flying jacket so a little big for a wrist watch.

This one is my biggest disappointment, A t-touch NASCAR edition. I bought it in New York a few years ago.The kids seem to think it's cool. It's got a compass, thermometer, altimeter.... Not sure why I bought it, I don't like it much.

That first one is brilliant. Best pilot watch I have ever seen.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #50
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

here are my favs
george jensen

cirtina spel

seiko auto divers

old certina ladies watch

1956 tutus geneve

orient star

sorry bout the large amount of photos
Old 12-01-2011, 05:01 PM   #51
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

Nice Certina DS Chrono there ! ! ! ! Wanna sell it ?
Old 12-01-2011, 05:04 PM   #52
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

na, considering i went to switzerland to get it.
but its nothing compared to the first one
Old 13-01-2011, 12:49 AM   #53
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Here are two of my 3

A Seiko Seamaster, Modelled on my favorite watch an Omega Seamaster, which as I have seen some of you guys have! I bought this for my 21st. Since I couldnt afford the real thing, I bought the next best thing, A seiko that is very close to its design!

And A watch I wanted since I saw it in the catalogue a few years back:

That is a Citizen Moonphase watch. It was the "Hero" Watch in the Citizen Catalogue one year. It tells the day, date, month, obviously time, & what phase the moon is in, Half, quater, full etc.

Took me about 3 years to get it. Everytime I would see one in the shops, I wouldnt have the money on me, & when I finally did get it together, when I went back, it was gone. I constantly, when I had something to do in a shopping centre, (which is a rarity now) go & just have a quick browse, & when I came across this one, it was on sale at Micheal Hill at the Riverlink Shopping Centre, it was 825RRP, it was down to 525 on its tag & the sale they had took it down to 425. So almost half price. I said "Bugger I dont have the money on me, I cant layby that can I". The Lady said, "Oh, yes you can, just need a 30% deposit". I swear my wallet was out, & money on the glass cabinet faster than I have ever drawn my revolvers during my Western Action Competition Shoots. It was that fast that she said, "Wow, that was fast". & I said "Yes, I have been after this watch for quite some time." I was over the moon (pun intended).

My other is a "Dirty" old Sieko, the first watch I ever boughtback in 2002. An automatic, which is being serviced at the moment. & New glass. Ive had the shaft replaced, numbers on the dial & a number of other things. Its cost me 3 times worth the original purchase price. Which doesnt bother me, because it has sentimental value, because my dad helped me pick it out. Its been bashed, crashed, squashed, accidentally thrown (thought I was holding hard enough when I pointed at the wall), scratched. & You know what? I love it to death. I'll never get rid of it. Its my everyday watch, up until last year when it wouldnt let me adjust the time. Its a bit of a "Dress Up/Dress Down watch" but after years of hard work, its very scratched now.

I want a huge watch collection consisting of:

-Omega Semaster. Automatic, Chrono, & the one with the three smaller dials (the exact name eludes me at present)
-Omega Speedmaster
-Rolex Submariner with date, Two tone Gold & Silver band, Blue Face & Bezel.
-Rolex Daytona, Silver with black face.
-Citizen Blue Angles Pilots watch.
-A "Standard" Seiko Pilots watch.
-Anything else that appeals to my eye.

I really have a thing for automtic watches. I love the rolling movement, even though it may not strictly be "rolling".I think the are classy. Though I have to say, I havent even considered buying another watch in quite some time. I love my Seiko's especially. But nothing in their range, or anyone elses for that matter is tickling my ticklish bits. Its all seeming to plain, huge, huge faces, or just look cluttered on their faces, bezels, & cases.

Same with my sunglasses, which I also love. Nothing in Anyones range is working to my liking........... Its good. Its saving me money!
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 01:42 AM   #54
HLC
Audi S3

My old man is a big fan of watches and has quite a large and unique collection.

His fav, and as a result my fave is the Rolex 'Milgauss' that he recently purchased. amazing watch. just oooozes class. love it.
Old 23-04-2011, 10:59 PM   #55
Whiskeyonesix

Default Re: Nice Watches

I've got my Grandads 1960's Zodiac Aerospace GMT Automatic watch over here, one day I'll get it serviced and renovated properly. It needs a Bezel and the glass replacing, but it keeps perfect time....
There's not a lot of love for these old watches out there. I don't think they were ever that popular nor expensive enough to be of worth to the Collectors...

New brake switch at 203k+211k, new Discs and Pads + service at 212k
Whiskeyonesix is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2011, 11:17 PM   #56
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Oooer, shiny things! Some of you guys have more watches than I have shoes! What is going on here?!

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 12:08 PM   #57
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

I've got an Omega moon watch cira 1975 cost me $275. The watch has had hiding and it is scratched, dented, phosphorous missing from minute hand, watch band fell apart, numerous plastic covers replaced. It stopped working about 20 years ago and I paid a small fortune to get it repaired. Then about 15 years ago it stopped again and the quote was something like $750 to repair (including new watch band). The moon watch is a nice watch but not suited to abuse (I guess astronauts must be more careful than me), it is also very expensive to maintain/repair.

Wife bought me a Tag F1 watch as a wedding gift, it too has taken a beating, but all it needs is a new battery every 2 years or so.

Has any one heard of or done any business with this company:

http://www.authenticwatches.com/

They have an good range of watches but like most things on the internet there is a huge risk that you're paying top dollar for a cheap Chinese knock off. If anyone knows about this company your comments would be appreciated.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 01:05 PM   #58
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

some nice watches there, myself i have always had bad luck with the bloody things , i have a draw full of cheapies in variouse states of destruction, i did have a very nice gold case/band omega speedmaster chronograph at one time, like all of my watches had some bad luck with it, i left somewhere, i might add its the only watch i never broke
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #59
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

thought i would revive this thread. 3 new watches to my collection

bought this one for my girlfriend after finishing her law degree, i guess if she is going to be around ******* all day she mays well be one too. im not a big fan of your tags, rolex's and omegas. they are to common

next is my watch which im still waiting on, its on back order. great watch witch is a lot better than its 490 price tag indicates. replica of a ww2 fliger watch.

and finally the halios. 1 of 100 from a very small watch maker

enjoy
Old 09-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #60
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

The MEGA closeup showing the arm hair is a little weird mate.........for future reference

Love the last two watches..less keen on the first
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post