Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-09-2005, 09:04 PM   #31
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

Quote:
I wonder, did people whinge when the EB and ED were released?
Proberly..

Like I said.. Ghia looks awesome and quite a bit diffrent and spec wise are hugely diffrent. XR's on the other hand look much the same. Most of the BF range looks much the same.

What will set the XR's appart are the new colours and the new equipment.

BA doesn't look bad and has dated quite well. Holdens still going to flogg VY I mean VY II I mean VZ for another year atleast.

Can belive your all complaining about the lack of changes?
weedy engine changes?
190Kw for the I6 (up 8 and now ~5% more economical, higher compression, new knock sensor new VCT)
230Kw and 500Nm for the V8 (up 10Kw, and 30Nm and more economical, new knock sensor, higher rev range)
245Kw and 480Nm for the T6 (up 5Kw and 30Nm and more economical, new cams, knock sensor)

Good god man.. What would you call reasonable engine changes? What a extra 100nm? Concidering the fuel crazy enviroment we are lucky they didn't throw in a 3.0L V6 and toss out the V8!!

Plus you get a new auto with not one, but two new ratios as used on 7 series and top of the line Jags. Plus you get basically better than premium brakes, standard, vented all round (first for a regular aussie sedan?!). Plus you get stability control on almost anything. Plus suspension and tyre changes. Plus more equipment. Plus a much quieter cabin. New manual trans for XR6 N/A as well.

What did MKII give us? A six speed manual in only two varients (which only affects <25% of the buyers of these two cars which make up less than 15% of buyers so only affects ~<5% of buyers. And a dorky MKII badge.

If you dissapointed at the mechanical changes, the I suggest don't get your hopes up about Orion. Because it will be basically be running these mechanicals! Brakes, engines and transmissions. Orion is basically a reskin, which will be ~75Kg lighter, bit curvier, roomier and more modern looking (not really better), and curtain airbags and xenons.

Last edited by Iphido; 26-09-2005 at 09:23 PM.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2005, 09:06 PM   #32
Transit Truck

Just think of it this way - your current BA's wont drop in value as much!
Transit Truck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2005, 09:09 PM   #33
HSE2

It would have to be a real big stuff up for the VE not to win the market seeing as it is up against a car nearing its end.
I am impressed with BF as a package. It’s more then I had hoped but as many would have read I have concerns about certain aspects of marketing in getting the message across. I sincerely hope they have read Holden’s plans better then what they did with AU. Being behind when VE comes out might be a hard gap to close, but time will tell.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2005, 09:13 PM   #34
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I agree, I was surprised they called it BF instead of BA MK3, given how little it looks differently.

How much power can they add at this stage without giving it the fuel economy improvement it has? That's what a lot of people are after fleet- and family-wise, which perhaps make the bulk of their sales.

I remember reading a short while ago a Ford boss was asked about the huge leaps in engine power today compared to the past and when will enough be enough. Ford was working closely with the government about the future of power, emissions and safety and maybe that's helped to tone down the leaps.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2005, 09:20 PM   #35
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
^^^^^

i would have thought they would have re-designed the ugly **** end!!
still looks like a taxi!
I hate these taxi references as they are so crap. So you are telling us that if Ford released a new **** end that it wouldn't look like a taxi? Hello! Even with a new **** end it will still look like a taxi because the taxi industry will buy and use the BF model which will have the same rear end!

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2005, 09:32 PM   #36
Transit Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
^^^^^
i would have thought they would have re-designed the ugly **** end!!
still looks like a taxi!
Mate please go and buy a Mercedes E320 and then I'll call your car a taxi... Thats what they use in Vienna.

Every country's locally produced cars will always be taxi's weather you like it or not.
Transit Truck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2005, 09:39 PM   #37
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

LOL, geeezus fellas, no need to get your knickers in a knot!

:
Learn to take some heat on behalf of the "new improved" BF!

just saying what i think of the BF, I still have to read the badge on the back of the BA's to tell if they are fairmont, falcon, GT, or XR because they ALL look the same at a glance!

GET OVER IT!

:
cheers
Rob
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2005, 09:49 PM   #38
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

From the prospective of a BA owner I would not buy a BF any day unless my BA itself or got written off, theres nothing to warrant the change over and to lose $20,000 by the time you take decrease in value of the new one up once you drive out the door..

I am of the beleif one should always buy the first of each shape and trade up at the introduction of the next shape, you lose less money and at the end of the day you always have the newer models...
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2005, 09:56 PM   #39
HSE2

That’s interesting. I do or try to do the opposite. The first of a new model is nearly always the worst especially if it has a high degree of newness about it. By about series two the bugs are sorted out. Buying run out series one or two is the best financial option.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 26-09-2005, 09:57 PM   #40
FPV329
Workin' for the BOSS

I definately don't like the new look around the XR foglights, this area on the BA looked very Mustangish to me and I prefer it.

I hope they have'nt stuffed up the FPV's!

Has anyone got any photos of them?
Old 26-09-2005, 10:01 PM   #41
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
That’s interesting. I do or try to do the opposite. The first of a new model is nearly always the worst especially if it has a high degree of newness about it. By about series two the bugs are sorted out. Buying run out series one or two is the best financial option.
Yes but at the same time your left behind...

A good example is someone buying a series III AU XR8 late in 2002 and having the BA come out... They probarly paid just about retail and leased the car and are now stuck with it for 4 years, yes they might have less bugs but you get left behind. If you had bought an AU I XR8 in 98 then your lease would have been ready to expire by the time of the BA and the vehicle would be nearly fully depreciated...
Old 26-09-2005, 10:07 PM   #42
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

I'm not a fan of the new XR8 wheels, and the new bumper could have looked ok, but seems like a cheap version of the current FPV cars, which I guess it is, but the GT bar kicks it's ***.

Daily: Tornado MY20 GTI

Retired: Venom BA XR8 - build thread
genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2005, 11:59 PM   #43
WASP
Whipple Induced

I think the new XR8 wheels will grow on me, but they lack the instant appeal of the current design. Like genebaby I'm not sure about the front bar either but the new tail light treatment is a winner..lol At the end of the day it's the new auto behind the BOSS 260 that interest me followed closely buy the bigger brakes and much better suspension. Even in 6 speed manual form, the other features are worth having IMO.
Old 27-09-2005, 04:11 AM   #44
argonEL
Cruisin' When-ever I Can!

Its a BA with some minor bodywork and a 6 speed auto (which models tho?).

Looks meaner at the front tho.

Id have to say i like it..

More mods to come!

Ex 97 EL Futura, 04 XR6 and 07 XR8 Owner.
argonEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2005, 05:01 AM   #45
CSV_LS1
I used to have a nice car

I think the 18's look good on the Ghia :

CSV_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2005, 08:33 AM   #46
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

Looks Awesome CSV... Awesome. Now I have to save my pennys.

Besides Ford and FPV haven't dropped their bomb yet.. Arent they getting alloy blocks or something? FPV get a new twin outlet exhaust as well.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2005, 10:26 AM   #47
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
Yes but at the same time your left behind...

A good example is someone buying a series III AU XR8 late in 2002 and having the BA come out... They probarly paid just about retail and leased the car and are now stuck with it for 4 years, yes they might have less bugs but you get left behind. If you had bought an AU I XR8 in 98 then your lease would have been ready to expire by the time of the BA and the vehicle would be nearly fully depreciated...
You are always left behind. It doesn't matter what the product looks like a model year is a model year. If they buy in fours years time it still makes you car 3 years old and they are nearly buying the best of that model and that is an established resale strength in the market.

If you buy mid cycle you stick to that and you will save money. If you look at what normally happens, features that were options in MK1 become standard and absorbed in MK2. You get more for less just there, but if you pay retail you are always going to get hurt.

When the first of a new model comes out discounting is normally put on hold. End of financial year or end of calendar year or model change is the best time to buy. A power rating is a good example. If you stay still for so long that the new model brings in a huge jump to remain competitive what you have described between series 3 AU and BA XR8 is a perfect example. However if the change over is structured like it is meant to be the customer can retain part of what the upgrade gives you. An example is that BA is 182 BF is 190 O-R might be 195kw. With out that step in this end of the market it looks like a huge step and resale drops accordingly. BF has introduced many themes and technologies that will be added to and improved.
If that didn't happen then the gap on this side of the equation would be too big and the same thing happens. It’s about structure and progression being managed. BF looks to be good in that regard to me.
Old 27-09-2005, 10:29 AM   #48
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
I think the new XR8 wheels will grow on me, but they lack the instant appeal of the current design. Like genebaby I'm not sure about the front bar either but the new tail light treatment is a winner..lol At the end of the day it's the new auto behind the BOSS 260 that interest me followed closely buy the bigger brakes and much better suspension. Even in 6 speed manual form, the other features are worth having IMO.
The sun had a black and white picture of the XR8 and that changed my opinion of both the wheels and the bar. I was the same as you and maybe when I see one in the flesh I might change my mind, but a different picture did the trick for me
Old 27-09-2005, 08:27 PM   #49
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphido
Fairmont Ghia Looks nice.. The extra chrome really improves the looks. 6 speed auto, ESP and more power seals the deal. Vented front and rear discs should be more than suitable for a luxo.

Goauto had a side pic and it looks even better (even in a bronze colour which I usually think is gay)..

The darker/high contrast colours bring out the classyness. Blues, Bronze, black.. I dunno, XR's look kinda plain when they sit next to them..

Oh yeh, what would be hot.. Fairmont Ghia V8 in black with XR8 wheels and dark tinted windows with sunroof. Now packing a XR8 matching 500Nm and a 6 speed auto, wouldn't suprise me if it could catch some LS1 or BA XR6T when they are sleeping.. Back 2001 the only luxury cars that were packing that kind of power were things like BMW 750i, with a 5.4L V12 they made 240Kw and 490Nm.. But only had a 5 speeder.

Apparently the Fairmont Ghia gets its own version of ESP, and a new suspension rejig. Add to that all the improvements in noise reduction and it should be close to being a real euro fighter.

Calais is going to get pwned!!
Now that ive seen that pic of the ghia and wat it looks like ive seen one around a few times near me i recognise the foggies now its all comming back to me
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2005, 09:58 PM   #50
Falcon Freak
Banned

If some people do not like the BF styling then it is a problem which can be easily fixed. Just swap the offending BF parts with their BA equivalents. From what I can see in the pictures is that all the new exterior BF bits are bolt on. So it isn't a difficult job.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 01:24 AM   #51
RATT

Come Thursday I will make a judgement on BF. I will be driving pretty much every model and come to a decision as to what kind of improvement the BF (and SY Terri) are.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 01:47 PM   #52
Steve D
Irregular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
Just swap the offending BF parts with their BA equivalents. From what I can see in the pictures is that all the new exterior BF bits are bolt on. So it isn't a difficult job.
A bit off-topic, but would anyone actually 'update' their newer model to look like the older one?
Steve D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 01:52 PM   #53
Ozfords
Girls! Drink! ****! ****!

Heck we have had ED lookin EAs and EL lookin EFs and somewhere a EL/F with a BA bumper and a EA with BA lights.

Someone will do it, without a doubt and it looks easier then ever.

There has been a suprising amount of mechanical updates and the bumper now looks like its trying to imitate V8 Supercars and GTs. But there has got be a way of getting rid of the XR's moustache bar. ITS GOT TO GO!!

1993 ED Fairmont Sedan - I6 - Colbalt Blue
- XH Snorkel
- Superlow Kings Springs and KYB Shocks
- Cross Drilled and Slotted DBA front Discs
- 18" pre-AU GT-P Alloy Wheels
- Ford Original Bootlid Spoiler
Ozfords is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2005, 04:37 PM   #54
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D
A bit off-topic, but would anyone actually 'update' their newer model to look like the older one?
No thanx. Should I ever need new body parts, I'll go for BA GT stuff from AWC.

Old 29-09-2005, 03:33 AM   #55
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

i want a bf typhoon with zl
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 03:24 PM   #56
RATT

BF Tail lamps for those interested.

Old 29-09-2005, 03:29 PM   #57
RATT

Old 29-09-2005, 06:40 PM   #58
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Damn mite have to get some of those tailights for the BA! they look good.
Old 29-09-2005, 06:47 PM   #59
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

I don't really notice much difference. Perhaps I need to pay more attention....

Old 29-09-2005, 06:52 PM   #60
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry guys but it just looks like the BA to me not much visual difference at all.

But the new stuff thats beeing put into them sounds very promising.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post