Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-08-2014, 04:21 PM   #61
Nova 8

Default Re: Mental Illness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
You need to get onto a mental health care plan. Your GP will organise this. Should cut the cost in about half.
This is a great thing, but for those who have mental health issues be aware that there are some doctors who take advantage, they get paid for lodging mental health plans and do so falsely or without explaining it correctly so you get no aid from it. I can't remember exactly how it works but you can either only have one done or can have only one currently active. This made it hard for my X to get one done once I got her into my family doctor who specializes in mental health.

This is why it is important to try to get loved one on board and helping so they can accompany you to ensure everything is above board as people easily make mistakes/miss things when depressed and stressed.
Old 14-08-2014, 05:59 PM   #62
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

You can have a new GP create a new mental health plan if they feel that it's required within the minimum twelve month period. They can also get your existing one from an old doc. They'll amend or and update it as required. Keep that in the back of your mind if you need it for people you're helping Nova

More info here: http://www.psychology.org.au/medicare/faqs/#s4
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2014, 06:46 PM   #63
Nova 8

Sounds like what I remember, I had to go to the first doctor and retrieve the one he did with her which wasn't filled out, he just got her to sign it, he didn't even do that never, sometimes, always test in it. My family doctor took issue with the previous doctor doing what he did and took it further, I never heard of the outcome.
Old 14-08-2014, 06:48 PM   #64
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Ok i will admit it , great thread... my GP put me on a health plan , i am on 40mg Lexapro a day and i do not drink through the week or when i am alone anymore...

I appear and feel more stable and restfull since i sought help with my condition...
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2014, 07:39 PM   #65
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Depression/ Mental Illness is supposed to be our biggest disease in this country by 2020. It's great that so many can talk about it on here. It doesn't hurt to talk...............
This user likes this post:
Old 14-08-2014, 09:58 PM   #66
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova 8 View Post
Using any reasoning to warrent destroying someone else's life is ridiculous, defending someone who did or tried to do the same is terrible. If he can drive a car into a truck he can drive a car to the doctors. This is why I keep saying people who are suffering or suffered from depression have to change their tone from "it's hard" to "seeking help makes it easier". NO ONE has the right to destroy someone else's life, their family, their kids... Mental illness or not!
Unfortunately you have failed to grasp the real issue. A person who has terminal cancer and is living in agony with no hope of relief, at least has the benefit of a sane mind with which to evaluate his life.
I don't.
I won't bore you with the horrifying details of the dreadful things I have plotted in my darkest moments, but you need to understand that at the time these were not planned out of hatred, anger, or revenge, but out of love and the desire to protect. Screwed up? Yeah, that's kinda the point.

We can debate the whys and wherefores, but at the end of the day my brain is busted and doesn't process things like it should.

We find it incomprehensible that somebody like Robin Williams would take his own life, as we should. But that incomprehensibility should demonstrate the problem. Imagine his life, now consider how screwed up his brain must have been to compel him to take his own life. He had a wife that loved him, and yet he must have been convinced that she would be better off without him.
THAT is what we live with.
3 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2014, 10:29 PM   #67
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe View Post
You are ONE person who would not understand what depressed people think.

The full fact is they don't. Whatever happens, happens.

I suggest you go and look up depression on Google and find out for yourself what happens.
How do you know what I understand? As i don't believe all I read and get fed by big business (medical and pharmaceuticals) and make judgements based on real life examples I'll come up with my own conclusions.

Last edited by mr smith; 14-08-2014 at 10:58 PM.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2014, 01:38 AM   #68
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

You can do this thing called a "care plan" through the doctors, gets you 5 free visits to the Psychologist, GP got me onto it after I was having memory issues and becoming aggressive because of a rough patch I was going through.

Talking to someone really helps, and its good its confidential so you can talk about issues you don't want to talk to friends/family about.

I guess its all perspective, something someone else sees as trivial could be the motivator for the black dog to claim its victim.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 15-08-2014 at 01:45 AM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2014, 06:38 AM   #69
Nova 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Unfortunately you have failed to grasp the real issue. A person who has terminal cancer and is living in agony with no hope of relief, at least has the benefit of a sane mind with which to evaluate his life.
I don't.
I won't bore you with the horrifying details of the dreadful things I have plotted in my darkest moments, but you need to understand that at the time these were not planned out of hatred, anger, or revenge, but out of love and the desire to protect. Screwed up? Yeah, that's kinda the point.

We can debate the whys and wherefores, but at the end of the day my brain is busted and doesn't process things like it should.

We find it incomprehensible that somebody like Robin Williams would take his own life, as we should. But that incomprehensibility should demonstrate the problem. Imagine his life, now consider how screwed up his brain must have been to compel him to take his own life. He had a wife that loved him, and yet he must have been convinced that she would be better off without him.
THAT is what we live with.
You are the one missing the point, it is never ok to make excuses for killing an innocent person no matter your mental state, I guess if someone with depression turned their car into your family you wouldn't want them charged because they are the victem and your family is just trash in the way. I understand these people feel they have no choice, I am saying those making excuses for them are totally wrong as are their action. Not having proper judgement making abilities doesn't make killing someone ok.

Also why do you think you have the right to cheapen the plight of people with other diseases but then crucify people for not understanding your own. Yeah cancer patients have it easy, must be great sitting there throwing up your lung knowing you have only weeks to live. You do realise that cancer patients commonly get depression as well, is their depression less than your too, maybe cause they are gonna clock out anyway. Or maybe that's when **** gets serious for them because they don't really know what it's like to be sick prior to depression. I work with a guy with the life expectancy of 30, he is currently 24, guess that's not serious either, if he complained he just be a whinger because he doesn't have depression.

Maybe those of you who are on the road to recovery and of somewhat of a sound mind should stop playing the woe is me card and stating that other illnesses are nothing compare to depression. Maybe you could stop jumping blindly in to defend someone and attack those without depression. Maybe what you could do is see the views of the general public and try to make them see yours. For example "yes, it is wrong to murder someone" not one of you have said that. Use your knowledge and your current healthy state to modify the thinking of everyone, the depressed and non depressed, help make it easier for all.

Of course you are all gonna just miss the whole point and focus on one word or sentence and attack me and then say I'm missing the point cause I'm a terrible person, I don't like murder and understand other people with diseases are hurting too.

If the mods are gonna lock this thread due to my comments, please don't. I won't be posting again.

Last edited by Nova 8; 15-08-2014 at 06:53 AM.
Nova 8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2014, 06:42 AM   #70
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I was on a care/health plan thingo. Gave me free sessions at the phsyc. The comments about suicide being selfish and not considering others obviously don't get it. I am thinking of others, I am thinking how my family would be financially and mentally better off without me around, some of you might say they won't be as I will be dead so they lose my wage which is less than 500pw, but my life insurance covers suicide. How my kids won't grow up seeing a man who was too lazy to do something about his future andended up stuck in retail the rest of his life. They won't have to deal with my mood swings and my son won't grow up feeling like his father hates him (I unfortunitely didn't want my second child which happens to be him, I never helped look after him etc. I am trying but)
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2014, 06:58 AM   #71
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You are the one missing the point, it is never ok to make excuses for killing an innocent person no matter your mental state, I guess if someone with depression turned their car into your family you wouldn't want them charged because they are the victem and your family is just trash in the way. I understand these people feel they have no choice, I am saying those making excuses for them are totally wrong as are their action. Not having proper judgement making abilities doesn't make killing someone ok.

Also why do you think you have the right to cheapen the plight of people with other diseases but then crucify people for not understanding your own. Yeah cancer patients have it easy, must be great sitting there throwing up your lung knowing you have only weeks to live. You do realise that cancer patients commonly get depression as well, is their depression less than your too, maybe cause they are gonna clock out anyway.

Maybe those of you who are on the road to recovery and of somewhat of a sound mind should stop playing the woe is me card and stating that other illnesses are nothing compare to depression.

Well at least you have come to the right thread...
Old 15-08-2014, 08:31 AM   #72
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudz27 View Post
I was on a care/health plan thingo. Gave me free sessions at the phsyc. The comments about suicide being selfish and not considering others obviously don't get it. I am thinking of others, I am thinking how my family would be financially and mentally better off without me around, some of you might say they won't be as I will be dead so they lose my wage which is less than 500pw, but my life insurance covers suicide. How my kids won't grow up seeing a man who was too lazy to do something about his future andended up stuck in retail the rest of his life. They won't have to deal with my mood swings and my son won't grow up feeling like his father hates him (I unfortunitely didn't want my second child which happens to be him, I never helped look after him etc. I am trying but)
All I can say is keep trying. Remember we can't change what we did in the past but we sure can control what we do in the future. You have the rest of your life to show your son how much he means to you.
1995 EF Fairmont - Tickford Enhanced
1980 ZL Fairlane in Brambles red
BLUEYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2014, 08:57 AM   #73
Nanoraptor
Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Its a bastard, and until you've been there, you don't really know.

Would you call a paraplegic a "lazy slob" for not walking?
Or blame the problem on his addiction to wheel chairs?

The problem with mental illness, is that it IS "all in your head."
A depressed person does NOT see the glass as half-empty. They usually can't even see the glass.
Try to imagine, if you can, a situation in which killing your self is the only viable option.
I went through it from my early 20s until late 30s, and it damned near took me too. One fellow sufferer of major depression described it to someone else we both knew as being like you have a torturer with you, constantly. Someone who beats at you at every chance and pushes & pushes you to do unhelpful or harmful things. They apply pain constantly and just like torture performed by someone else, it can push you to do extremely damaging things to other people for the smallest relief, a relief that may seem to the outside to be completely out of proportion to the damage caused. All justification or whatever else may hold you back when in a sane state of mind is out the window. All that matters is the pain because it's Just. That. Strong.

And then you find doctors and psychs who offer a little help - but like you said above is IS something inside your own head. Your torturer is always with you, so your docs can only do so much.

You have something stretching you out on a rack, applying the hot irons and mentally clipping out fingernails, and you can have the best doctor in the world healing up the injuries but it keeps happening day after day. Your doctor is with you a few hours a week tops. Your torturer, they're with you 24/7.

Our minds/brains are incredibly complex beasts. Some depression is a chemical fog that's out of whack. Others come from physical injuries to the brain, others from habits we picked up as kids or infants and still perform unconsciously, some are personality disorders and some are when our brains never developed the same functional components as someone who copes far better.

To even the best docs with all the training in the world behind them, finding which case you're dealing with is a hard enough job - and even after that they still have an incredibly complex uniquely broken human being in front of them, and all need different complex treatment.

I couldn't be more thankful for the team I eventually found who helped me. Can't even wrap my head around how they can still do what they do.
Nanoraptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2014, 10:41 AM   #74
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:

Also why do you think you have the right to cheapen the plight of people with other diseases but then crucify people for not understanding your own. Yeah cancer patients have it easy, must be great sitting there throwing up your lung knowing you have only weeks to live. You do realise that cancer patients commonly get depression as well, is their depression less than your too, maybe cause they are gonna clock out anyway. Or maybe that's when **** gets serious for them because they don't really know what it's like to be sick prior to depression. I work with a guy with the life expectancy of 30, he is currently 24, guess that's not serious either, if he complained he just be a whinger because he doesn't have depression.

Maybe those of you who are on the road to recovery and of somewhat of a sound mind should stop playing the woe is me card and stating that other illnesses are nothing compare to depression. Maybe you could stop jumping blindly in to defend someone and attack those without depression. Maybe what you could do is see the views of the general public and try to make them see yours. For example "yes, it is wrong to murder someone" not one of you have said that. Use your knowledge and your current healthy state to modify the thinking of everyone, the depressed and non depressed, help make it easier for all.

Of course you are all gonna just miss the whole point and focus on one word or sentence and attack me and then say I'm missing the point cause I'm a terrible person, I don't like murder and understand other people with diseases are hurting too.

If the mods are gonna lock this thread due to my comments, please don't. I won't be posting again.
Not posting again might be a good idea. I'm fairly lenient when it comes to warnings but you are pushing the envelope.

If you want want to argue the semantics of depression please start another thread.

FWIW I had/have prostrate cancer (no final outcome yet) and as far as I know I don't have depression.
Old 15-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #75
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:

Ergh who said anything about driving a car into a family? Most who want to suicide will do it in a way that does not physically hurt anyone else. Most people with depression put others first, part of the reason why they are in the state they are, they feel that they are worth less then other people, do you really think 9 out of 10 would want to put anyone's else life at risk. No, thats why most people do it in a place where there is no one else around, because they want to be alone.

Really you need to get informed because your are currently misinformed, and your pushing the boundaries. What your saying is cruel and unjust. There are depressed people out there that wish they could give their life up for someone else, whether that person is sick or what not, because that person is happier then them and they think has a better life. Im really annoyed at your posts. You have done nothing here to help, only made people feel guilty for feeling the way they do, which definitely does not help mental illness.

I hope the guys here with depression are okay today. Hopefully you guys will be able to do something today that makes you feel better. One step at a time fellas.

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 15-08-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2014, 01:16 PM   #76
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Hey Brent , loan me ya ute for a few hours i'm sure that will make me feel heaps good

Your rear tyres tho' maybe not so much...

Indeed fellow brothers out there with the Black Dog , exercise is the key just the fresh air alone can change your mindset and the smell of the flowers / traffic /smog /etc... lol

Daz
Old 15-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #77
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

I got 45 minutes to myself this morning on the train ride in to work, no-one sat near me, I plugged in my earphones and listened to the crap on Nova with no son and no wife to "cramp" me.

Utter bliss.

Also found a heavy metal/rock station 4ZZZ on my phone too, so something else I can listen to.
Old 15-08-2014, 02:42 PM   #78
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace View Post
Hey Brent , loan me ya ute for a few hours i'm sure that will make me feel heaps good

Indeed fellow brothers out there with the Black Dog , exercise is the key just the fresh air alone can change your mindset and the smell of the flowers / traffic /smog /etc... lol

Daz
Especially those tyres frying. right??
1995 EF Fairmont - Tickford Enhanced
1980 ZL Fairlane in Brambles red
BLUEYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2014, 02:53 PM   #79
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

My brother took his own life in 2008, as a result of mental illness and the scatter gun approach to meds. They try you on one for a while, and if that doesn't work, they try a different one - each one can take 3 weeks or so to have any impact, in the meantime, the sufferer still has the dark thoughts etc going through their mind. There is no easy answer to many mental illness conditions - we simply don't know enough about what chemicals imbalances affect the mind, and how we can fix it.

We (his brothers and sisters) did not even know he had any condition until after his death. But he tried to suicide 3 times - the final one got him. Failed attempts include throwing himself at a train on the London tube only resulted in cuts and bruises, and an overdose on Panadol in London got him 2 weeks in a psyche ward there.

I hate the fact that I was not able to help him.
I hate the fact that he didn't tell many people what/how he was suffering.

He left a note, and the note was clear that his intention in taking his own life was so that he and those of us left could stop suffering. Problem was, I didn't know what he was going through, so that started my suffering. 6 years on, I still miss him, but seeing some of the crazy stuff going on in the world, and hearing about how he saw demons coming out of the walls for him, and that he couldn't sleep for days on end due to real fear that they were gonna get him, I understand how he got to the decision he did. I don't agree with it, but I can understand a little of what his mind must have been going through.

My sister also suffers mental illness, and she has tried to suicide 9 times, but is still with us, and for the last few years is reasonably stable - she is still a bit manic at times, but she has leanred to control it by and large, and is currently on no meds; she went off meds the moment she found out she was preganant around 2 years ago. She and her young daughter are doing well; living by themselves etc. So it can be overcome, but she is 33 and has been fighting her demons since she was 19 or so......there is no easy path.

Not sure what the point of this post is, but it does feel good to share, and I am proud of my sister for her "win", and understand why my brother couldn't fight any more......
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #80
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:

Daz

Hey Dazzzz I dont think it would be quick enough for you sunshine.

I see your car is still at the workshop?
Old 15-08-2014, 02:59 PM   #81
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe View Post
I got 45 minutes to myself this morning on the train ride in to work, no-one sat near me, I plugged in my earphones and listened to the crap on Nova with no son and no wife to "cramp" me.

Utter bliss.

Also found a heavy metal/rock station 4ZZZ on my phone too, so something else I can listen to.

I find music a great release of stress. When im stressed out I listen to music and it calms me down immensely.
Old 15-08-2014, 03:43 PM   #82
Road Games

I listen to both types of music ... Country and Western...
Old 15-08-2014, 03:50 PM   #83
Road Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
Hey Dazzzz I dont think it would be quick enough for you sunshine.

I see your car is still at the workshop?
And if it wasn't for my med's mate i would probably be locked up by now ?

This is why i bought the identical second car , i have come too far and spent to much $$$$$ to just walk away and let the anguish destroy me...

It will happen, not overnight but it will happen, that is why i deleted my build threads...

I wasn't bragging, i was just sharing my enjoyment and euphoria but the trolls killed that for me....

I am in a much better place right now despite the hospital upset this week you know about ...
2 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2014, 03:52 PM   #84
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And if it wasn't for my med's mate i would probably be locked up by now ?

This is why i bought the identical second car , i have come too far and spent to much $$$$$ to just walk away and let the anguish destroy me...

It will happen, not overnight but it will happen, that is why i deleted my build threads...

I wasn't bragging, i was just sharing my enjoyment and euphoria but the trolls killed that for me....

I am in a much better place right now despite the hospital upset this week you know about ...

But some of us like your build threads! Specially seeing how you transformed the diamond in the rough!
2 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2014, 03:54 PM   #85
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I listen to both types of music ... Country and Western...
When groups like AC/DC, Queen, Led Zeppelin etc start playing Country, then I'll start listening to it !
Old 15-08-2014, 04:05 PM   #86
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
When groups like AC/DC, Queen, Led Zeppelin etc start playing Country, then I'll start listening to it !
Come on, you know you like Country Music, just like you love cab over K200's .... Opps no thats Danny my bad.
Old 15-08-2014, 04:14 PM   #87
Road Games

Great music in that show as well
Old 15-08-2014, 04:29 PM   #88
Falcman0o7
Banned

You know what gets me depressed? The fact that i was just dumped here on earth with no answers as to why. On top of that i'm forced to adjust to the workings of life in order to simply survive and be relativly Comfortable and just as a added kick in the **** i get sick and may die from cancer or a heart attack or some other crap. Oh and the fact that some of my family members may and will die leaving me and others in a mess.
Some people have a really messed up life and live it happily, I have no idea how they do it.
I think to much but is that really my fault?
The world is messed up. Or atleast some of the people in it.
I mean how can ONE person like Gena Rinehart have $32,000,000,000 while kids simply starve to death? I have to work 12 months in ice and heat to earn what she gets sitting on her fat **** in 30 minutes.
I know there is a cure for cancer but it's all about money and population control.
You can't tell me that a growth of cells cannot be stopped STILL...
You know what i find weird? We have been around for what millions of years? I'm not sure but why am i here NOW? Lile just when everything is taking off? The last 100 years, Cars, electricity, phones, computers ect.
I mean I could of been born 1000 or 2000 years ago or even 1000 2000 into the future but i'm here now? Is that a hint that maybe we rencarnate?
And the crap with islam extremists ect WTF is wrong with them people! Shooting, beheading and blowing **** up. Really sadistic crap! EVIL! And youtube shows it all.
Another thing that gets me...If we cannot see wind, sound, radio waves, smell ect then what else can't we see?
Anyway...

Last edited by Falcman0o7; 15-08-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2014, 04:37 PM   #89
Road Games

Mate i have never met my dad...

And I lost my soul mate and son and daughter in a car accident when i was 21...

I even attempted suicide a few times...

I slaved in a mind numbing job for years as that is all i thought i was good for...

Now i am in a great space and frame of mind praise jesus, but that is another story ....

Some whom don't know me reckon i am just lucky...

I believe the harder you work the luckier you are ...

And i feel lucky and blessed at the same time.. it just took me a while to smell the flowers...

Peace out ..x..
Old 15-08-2014, 04:42 PM   #90
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Mate i have never met my dad...

And I lost my soul mate and son and daughter in a car accident when i was 21...

I even attempted suicide a few times...

I slaved in a mind numbing job for years as that is all i thought i was good for...

Now i am in a great space and frame of mind praise jesus, but that is another story ....

Some whom don't know me reckon i am just lucky...

I believe the harder you work the luckier you are ...

And i feel lucky and blessed at the same time.. it just took me a while to smell the flowers...

Peace out ..x..
WOW...

I mean just WOW.

Good on you mate I'm happy for you.
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post