Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-02-2008, 01:53 AM   #61
HTCURRY

Couple of things,

its BCCI not ICB, no such thing.

Harbhajan cant say anything in 'Hindu' because you cant say anything in 'Christian', he said something in Hindi

Now that we have crossed that bridge, can we just agree nearly all professional cricketers plying their trade today are cheats to a degree, I mean they will try and do anything that they think they can get away with, and the euphemism for it is 'professionalism'.

Also the BCCI are trying bullying tactics on the rest of the cricket world, I guess being responsible for 70% of the revenue lets you do that. They along with many think they are justified in forcing home their advantage(think the US and its position of being the only true superpower) after years of being treated as 2nd class citizens in the world of cricket.

I happen to disagree, I think the more noble thing would have been to say we know we have all this power, and can pretty much do what we want, BUT instead of being arrogant, we will abide by the rules and laws.

About the cricket, Australia should be too strong for India in the end, but the series should be tight, flat one day pitches should suit their batsmen.

But I think this really is a one off for India, I dont think they are Australias biggest threat in any form of cricket. This is the final hurrah for a generation, Dravid, ganguly, Tendulkar, Sehwag, Kumble, laxman, all on the wrong side of 30, and will retire soon, with lesser players replacing them.

Australia has been losing players, but has also been blooding replacements in small increments, so as to not ruin the balance of the team, Australia will continue to dominate.

And long may it continue!
HTCURRY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 01:59 AM   #62
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCURRY
Couple of things,

Harbhajan cant say anything in 'Hindu' because you cant say anything in 'Christian', he said something in Hindi

Now that we have crossed that bridge, can we just agree nearly all professional cricketers plying their trade today are cheats to a degree, I mean they will try and do anything that they think they can get away with, and the euphemism for it is 'professionalism'.

Also the BCCI are trying bullying tactics on the rest of the cricket world, I guess being responsible for 70% of the revenue lets you do that. They along with many think they are justified in forcing home their advantage(think the US and its position of being the only true superpower) after years of being treated as 2nd class citizens in the world of cricket.

I happen to disagree, I think the more noble thing would have been to say we know we have all this power, and can pretty much do what we want, BUT instead of being arrogant, we will abide by the rules and laws.

About the cricket, Australia should be too strong for India in the end, but the series should be tight, flat one day pitches should suit their batsmen.

But I think this really is a one off for India, I dont think they are Australias biggest threat in any form of cricket. This is the final hurrah for a generation, Dravid, ganguly, Tendulkar, Sehwag, Kumble, laxman, all on the wrong side of 30, and will retire soon, with lesser players replacing them.

Australia has been losing players, but has also been blooding replacements in small increments, so as to not ruin the balance of the team, Australia will continue to dominate.

Finally a sensible post, ;). Top work.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 12:55 PM   #63
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTCURRY
Couple of things,

And as per usual with all things cricket I agree with you. Some very good points there.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 10:26 PM   #64
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by puts99
What exactly are these rebel Indian players getting away with? Harbi using the M word? If there was a scrap of evidence he'd be gone.

The ICB Vs. ICC has nothing to do with anything. If the ICB were that powerful, none of this would have happend. Lets step back and look at the facts;

India lost that test and subsequently the series.
Harbi was banned for one test without any form of indisputable evidence.
India threatend to leave in the heat of the moment, I would've too, but have stayed on.
Yeah the Indian fans targeted Symmonds in India, just like how 90,000 odd people did Harbi at the MCG a few nights ago.

Now how do you figure the ICB is bullying the ICC/world? Despite the above, India are still in Aus, ready to play. India is a very docile, but when they were hard done by, they stood up and said that it isn't on, and fair enough too. Surely you can't blame them for that. If you were in the Indian team, would you want Buknor umpiring the next game? The ICB for once backed their national team and for that they're being branded as sooks!
While I don't entirely disagree with your stance up to this point, you'd want to make sure you had the facts correct.

Harbhajan was given a 3 match suspension, he wasn't played in Perth because it was pointless playing 2 spinners on a quicks pitch.

BCCI (not ICB) threatened to pull their players out of Australia if Harbhajan's appeal was rejected. CA saw dollars starting to go down the drain and forced Ponting to accept a deal of a lesser charge on Harbhajan on which he was found guilty of (there wasn't enough evidence to convict on calling Symonds a monkey of which I agree) and sentenced him to half his match fee.

Who knows what would have happened if the BCCI didn't threaten to pull out of the rest of the tour, the fact that they did is a frigtening predicament. Since the debacle of the Sydney test, I've maintained that the BCCI are going to dump the ICC due to their long term dissatisfaction of the way the game is run and the current 20/20 big dollar local tourneys they're setting up is only the beginning of cricket being run out of India on their terms.

BCCI were completely out of line threatening to pull out of the series and forcing the removal of the umpires from the Sydney test who were scheduled to umpire at the WACA, if you consider that docile then I would hate to see what you consider hostile.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 10:42 PM   #65
XR8putts

I'll simplify my point of view. The BCCI threatend to pull India out of Aus for two reasons:

1. The Harbi three test ban. The ban given without a scrap of evidence, only the word of Australian players against the denial from H. Singh.

2. The unwillingness to change the umpires in the following test. India didn't ask for Indian biased umpires or Indian umpires - Just ones that wern't Buknor and the other bloke. After all that went down in the 2nd test, can you blame them?

Now, do you honeslty believe the BCCI were asking much? They asked for evidence for the Harbi matter, and a change in umpires for the other matter.

It was when these pleas fell on deaf ears, not before, that the BCCI threatend to pull out of the series and head back home. I don't believe they (BCCI) were out of line at all. I know what CA would have done if they were ever put in this situation on the other side of the planet.

Last edited by XR8putts; 05-02-2008 at 10:57 PM.
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 11:02 PM   #66
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
I know what CA would have done if they were ever put in this situation on the other side of the planet.

Remember a few years ago? I think it was Sri Lankan fans threatening the Australian team with death threats and bomb scares. If i recall they still went and toured, so what would CA have done if roles were reversed with India? moved on and kept playing.
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 11:07 PM   #67
XR8putts

Brilliant, you've responded to the last line in my post - now tackle the points preceding it.

And I'm fairly sure India have continued with the tour, despite the friendly locals.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:11 PM   #68
prydey
Rob

who saw the first innings of the india v sri lanka match today at the gabba. if you thought the aussies appealing was 2nd rate, they have nothing on the sri lankans who appeal for just about anything that goes to the keeper.

one decision by the umpire was very ordinary. r.sharma was given out caught behind off murali when to me it looked like it missed the bat. never saw any replays so can't say for sure but looked sus. then sharma made it worse by standing around for a very long time after the finger was raised.

nothing will get said though. its just the fact that the aussies have dominated for such a long time, and from all reports, like to have a bit of chit chat on the field as well, that most other nations will jump at anything to tear them down.

its not so much the physical skills that separate the aussies from the rest but the mental toughness. other teams simply cannot maintain the same level of play for 5 days. last ashes was a prime example of a team going toe to toe for 2-3 days and then falling in a heap. india to their credit have really stepped up to the plate this series and their test series scoreline has nothing to do with umpiring but poor team selection and lack of preparation.

the one day series looks to be an exciting prospect though. no walk in the park thats for sure.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 11:15 PM   #69
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Brilliant, you've responded to the last line in my post - now tackle the points preceding it.

And I'm fairly sure India have continued with the tour, despite the friendly locals.

1. Instead of calling him a monkey he called Symonds the Indian equivalent to Mother F@#$er. pronounced marnkee. classy stuff, he deserved to lose his match fee.

2. Asking for the umpire to be removed from a game that hasn't even been played yet is setting a precedent now, don't like a decision? have a whinge and get the umpire dumped!face it, they all make mistakes it's part of the game, no need to cost a man his livelihood because of it.

happy?
Old 05-02-2008, 11:33 PM   #70
XR8putts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
1. Instead of calling him a monkey he called Symonds the Indian equivalent to Mother F@#$er. pronounced marnkee. classy stuff, he deserved to lose his match fee.

2. Asking for the umpire to be removed from a game that hasn't even been played yet is setting a precedent now, don't like a decision? have a whinge and get the umpire dumped!face it, they all make mistakes it's part of the game, no need to cost a man his livelihood because of it.

happy?
1. Proof? Intersting claim but you lack the evidence required to fairly prosocute someone.
Even if what you say is true, calling someone a MF should result in a 3 test ban? I noticed you now say he deserved to lose his match fee - which was the Indian stance all along. It was the 3 test ban that was the issue.

And for the record, I am Indian. I can assure you "mother f...." in Hindi sounds nothing like the word Monkey or even Marnkee.
It's actually "Bhen chott" which translates to "Sister F.....", which is the phrase used in India, not the mother one

2. Dangereous precident? Sure, I agree.

But luckily test matches like that 2nd test don't happen all the time.

So if this situation happens again, where an umpire grossly and clearly (unintentionally ofcourse) changes the outcome of a test match - then I don't see the issue with replacing him for a game or two. Like with any job, if you stuff up big time and you'll face some sort of consiqunce.

Back to today's game, sort that bloody weather out! Was looking forward to watching the SL run chace, naturally I believe they wouldn't have made it! :P
Old 05-02-2008, 11:42 PM   #71
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
I'll simplify my point of view. The BCCI threatend to pull India out of Aus for two reasons:

1. The Harbi three test ban. The ban given without a scrap of evidence, only the word of Australian players against the denial from H. Singh.

2. The unwillingness to change the umpires in the following test. India didn't ask for Indian biased umpires or Indian umpires - Just ones that wern't Buknor and the other bloke. After all that went down in the 2nd test, can you blame them?

Now, do you honeslty believe the BCCI were asking much? They asked for evidence for the Harbi matter, and a change in umpires for the other matter.

It was when these pleas fell on deaf ears, not before, that the BCCI threatend to pull out of the series and head back home. I don't believe they (BCCI) were out of line at all. I know what CA would have done if they were ever put in this situation on the other side of the planet.
So you're fine with the away board taking their bat and ball and going home unless their demands are met?

1. That's what the appeals process is for. Harbhajan lodged an appeal and the BCCI basically said, if the appeal is declined, we're outta here before the appeal was even heard. CA forced Pontings hand and had the charge downgraded. Don't you think that makes a mockery of the judicial process?

2. Again, the BCCI stepping in and forcing the ICC's hand to replace neutral, elite umpires. The umpiring standards in the elite panel are reviewed, captains submit a report at the end of each test and if the umpires are found lacking over a period of time, they're removed from the elite panel. There's a process in place to remove under-performing umpires.

The only grounds I'll accept for a board to pull their players out of a series is if the players are at risk of harm. Certainly not if one of them is up on a charge of racially abusing another or the umpiring decisions didn't go their way in 1 match. That's absolutely ludicrous!
Old 05-02-2008, 11:48 PM   #72
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
a Daily Telegraph revelation that Harbhajan may have abused Symonds in English and in his native Hindi language with the sledge "teri maki" (meaning motherf . . . . .).

While not calling witnesses Symonds, Matthew Hayden and Clarke liars for claiming Harbhajan called Symonds a "big monkey", Justice Hansen said it was possible the Australians had mis-heard an insult in the spinner's native language.

i may have mis-heard the story myself....and yes the sourse isn't the best..but thats where i got it from.
Quote:
"He accepted he used offensive words, including the 'teri maki' in his native tongue but he did not use the word 'monkey'," Justice Hansen said.
Justice Hansen said an incident concerning Harbhajan in 2001 may have persuaded him to hand out a bigger penalty, but it was too late to do so now despite looking into the matter yesterday.

Last edited by DoreSlamR; 05-02-2008 at 11:53 PM. Reason: more quotes
Old 05-02-2008, 11:50 PM   #73
XR8putts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
The only grounds I'll accept for a board to pull their players out of a series is if the players are at risk of harm. Certainly not if one of them is up on a charge of racially abusing another or the umpiring decisions didn't go their way in 1 match. That's absolutely ludicrous!
An unproven charge with a masive penalty, and the 1 match that ruled India out of the test-series contention! That's ludicrous!

Quote:
a Daily Telegraph revelation that Harbhajan may have abused Symonds in English and in his native Hindi language with the sledge "teri maki" (meaning motherf . . . . .).
So now the DT were on the pitch too. And apparently, they now speak Hindi!

For the record,
"Teri" = Your
"Maki" = Mother
:togo:

FFS I give up, it's pointless.

Last edited by XR8putts; 05-02-2008 at 11:57 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:42 AM   #74
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
An unproven charge with a masive penalty, and the 1 match that ruled India out of the test-series contention! That's ludicrous!

FFS I give up, it's pointless.
It is pointless trying to justify why the Indian board would throw its toys out of the cot and hold the game to ransom over issues that have internal checks and balances within the ICC so it's good to give up while you're way behind.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:03 AM   #75
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

India are not the first team to lose a vital test match due to poor umpiring and they will not be the last. Just suck it up and play the game FFS!!!

And send Harbhajan on an anger management course, he needs it!!

To the world cricket bosses - knock this 20/20 crap on the head, it's just glorified baseball!! Test cricket is and should always be #1

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 01:31 PM   #76
DivHunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Puts just conveniently missed that the charge the turbinator was 'convicted' for carries a match ban which was not enforced.

When Kumble, their captain, stops appealing every ball (as previously stated, been in trouble before) and Indian cricket isn't run by organised crime then India can talk about 'spirit of the game'.

I think the Indians were just all upset because they've had to pay tax.
Speed cameras have changed the things we pay attention to and the things we regard as important. Instead of focusing on the dangers ahead, motorists feel that they have been relieved of responsibility for managing their own driving, and have ceded it instead to the mechanical intervention of the camera and other traffic signals.
DivHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 03:35 PM   #77
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman
India are not the first team to lose a vital test match due to poor umpiring and they will not be the last. Just suck it up and play the game FFS!!!
this is exactly why i don't understand why the media were all over it, carrying on like it was the first time this situation had ever been the case.

maybe australia should've threatened to pull out of the 05 ashes in england. i don't reckon martyn was legitimately out once in that series and the test we lost by 2 runs to basically hand them back the ashes was won by a dodgy decision. caspers hand was not even on the bat when the ball hit it and geraint jones finally managed to hang on to something. maybe australia should've whinged and had that umpire removed.

what goes round comes around.

putts - you're indian batting hard for the indians. what you must realise is that us aussies are in the same position supporting our team. i don't think we'll ever agree on games like the sydney test.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post