Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Who failed their driving test
Passed first time ( or course! ) 177 68.34%
Failed once 61 23.55%
Failed twice 17 6.56%
Finally bribed the examiner $100 4 1.54%
Voters: 259. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2008, 07:26 PM   #61
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

I got failed first time because I used my own car (HQ GTS)which the tester believed to be "too hotted up for a learner" and "I was too confident and cocky"
He put not checking mirrors enough on the test sheet.
I passed the next day, in my mates Sigma, no problems.
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
FTE72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 08:55 PM   #62
brm-xr6

failed first time 60kms though school zone at 9am 2 months after they started in N.S.W
brm-xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 09:28 PM   #63
Marduk
BFII XR6

Passed on the first time (new harder tests apparently (Vic)). I was happy it was raining because it meant I could do 5 to 10km under the posted limit and get away with it :P. I got told off for not checking behind me while braking when approaching intersections and roundabouts (yeah because I should be concentrating on what's behind me when going through a roundabout or intersection) and for not head checking when merging but there was no one else even near me. I made sure of that before the merge so there was no need to check for a car that didn't exist. I guess they want you checking when you make the move not just checking if there are actually cars there to begin with before you make the move.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:37 PM   #64
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Passed first time but failed the HPT test!
Old 10-12-2008, 09:52 PM   #65
Marduk
BFII XR6

The HPT is ridiculous I almost failed because I would click to early. Maybe because the hazard is so bloody obvious the majority of the time.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:34 PM   #66
fiesta8u

ok well you want to hear this ? i can say that 100% they fail esspecially males, and i wont go too far alot more to add, ive been driving since i was 6, seriously on my dads old farm, and got my l's the first go, i dont mean to brag, but i would outskill a 50year old in driving, first test for my p's, everything was great, on the sheet he was ticking off everything not 1 cross. got to the rta all excited not one cross, for him to tell me, sorry you failed, when i asked why he said "you went 3kmh over the limit" like wtf ? i know that i stayed 5kmh under the limit at all times as i knew this is what they looked at, second time same thing happend same god damn rta bloke, at the end he told me i fail because i didnt give way to a car ? wtf it was bloody dead wherever we went and to tell you the truth there was not 1 car on the road SERIOUSLY. third time i went the instructer didnt even watch on how i drove, beleive it or not the moron was text messaging and playing with his fone the whole time, bastard failed me because when i turned right i turned early and went over the double line, frustrated i put a complain in and when i went the fourth time, after the drive told me ohh well im going to have to give it to you this time, like wtf ? whats that supposed to mean ? went through with my complaint, and "apparently" its getting looked at yeah as if i havnt gotten contact since then over 2 years ago.
fiesta8u is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 10:58 PM   #67
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

nah a i failed i went through an uncontrolled intersection twice with out looking or slowing down oppsie
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 11:04 PM   #68
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatsports_cars
nah a i failed i went through an uncontrolled intersection twice with out looking or slowing down oppsie
without looking ??? that's crazy.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 11:07 PM   #69
countertop30
Starter Motor

Got my auto with no lessons!!! Had those for 5 years now, never had a prang though!! Small towns easy as to get an auto.

Got my manuals a year ago, but failed the first time. Speed though a school zone, not the coolest thing to do but the test guy was being a knob and i just wanted out. As soon as i was back at the test centre i walk off, but went back a week later and got it with a better tester.
countertop30 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 11:08 PM   #70
Marduk
BFII XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatsports_cars
I'm surprised you are still alive and they let you get back in a car again.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:16 AM   #71
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I should add I'd only had 1 lesson in the coach, and 2 in a bus before doing the HR test.
One of our regular drivers lost his licence for high range PCA, and as we were coming up to the busiest time of the year, Dad came home and told me I was doing the driving test the next morning. (Had already done the knowledge test)

48 hours later I had my first job with a load of ~60 primary school kids.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2008, 12:30 AM   #72
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I failed twice. First time I was nervous and stalled the car in the carpark. Instant fail. Didn't even drive it anywhere!

Second time got the same tester (he was pretty rude) and I got so worked up had an asthma attack - failed again.

Third time, went to the testing centre in East Freo. Guy testing me jumped in the car, got me to drive into Freo, told me to park near Old Papa's, he grabbed a coffee, jumped back in and said I had passed with flying colours.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:08 AM   #73
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Passed the first time, though I suspect the instructor really couldnt be bothered working that day as all I did was drive around the block. Test was finished inunder 10 minutes.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2008, 09:16 AM   #74
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Passed my P's first time (100%) (lucky i did cuz i started work 2 days later...) I dont think ive ever done a reverse park as sweet as the one during the test

But failed my L's quite a few times

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2008, 09:29 AM   #75
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

failed twice - and it was MY fault
scored 100% in learners and license written exams and had not lost a point on the test until 2 instant fails at the same corner, turning the same way with the same instructor and examiner. changed instructors for the next time - same examiner and finally got it
never looked like missing forklift and heavy rigid licenses, but in reality after 20 years of experience on the road, i should have got them easily enough
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2008, 09:37 AM   #76
Cam
Stroking it...

First go, in a very small town, knew the cop well, walked in and the cop goes "did you drive here by yourself Cam?" i replied "yeah?" he replied "well thats a good start, flick that power switch" (was the power for the camera to take my photo) - And that was that.

Then after 2 years of driving around on my L's, i lost my P's 2 weeks later overtaking a road train
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2008, 10:53 AM   #77
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Passed first time round, but then again i did my test at Dandy and they just about pass everyone there!
Old 11-12-2008, 10:55 AM   #78
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Failed twice.

First was only stopped for 2.5 seconds instead of 3 at a stop sign. This WAS the actual reason given. Other than that was 100%, but that was an instant fail.

Second was for not turning left on a red when there was a sign permitting that and cars waiting behind. Only thing was, it was a three lane road I was entering and there were cars in both the middle and median lanes. The road rules state that to safely enter a multi lane road you need both the lane you are turning into (kerb lane) and the adjacent lane - middle lane free. Arguement ensued. No deal.

Driving instructor got permission to take test at another registry. Drove hopelessly. Got 100%!

I did however fail before I took any test at my local registry after picking up a personal number plate for my hotted up SL/E Commodore the week before from the same guy who did the test. The number plate was one of those that summed up the power of the car.... long hair and all - of course I failed!!!

Got all my truck and bike licences first go for each though. So did my wife and 2 others I taught to drive.

Don't get smart a*** plates from the registry you are doing your test at the next week.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:10 AM   #79
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When i go for the test next year, reckon i should take in some sort of voice recorder/video recorder in case they do a fail on me like what happened to you guys? Haha can imagine busting them good on stuff like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2008, 12:02 PM   #80
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
When i go for the test next year, reckon i should take in some sort of voice recorder/video recorder in case they do a fail on me like what happened to you guys? Haha can imagine busting them good on stuff like that.
Get your driving instructor to follow in a seperate car if possible. Mine did on the second attempt, hence the argument that ensued back at the registry, and the agreement for me to take the test elsewhere.

Good luck, sometimes you need that more than being able to drive well!
Old 11-12-2008, 02:21 PM   #81
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

passed first go not even an hour ago
even got breathalyzed during the test by a cop (they dont normally do that)
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2008, 04:57 PM   #82
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

failed 2 Times : :
Old 11-12-2008, 05:51 PM   #83
Luke3000

Hey all, when i went for my l's (3 months ago) i didnt study the book but passed the test, god it was easy you just need some road knowledge. Anyway i passed it and the dude was filling out some info and asked for my birth certificate. I gave it to him and he said this isnt the original! we said well i am pretty sure it is and then we found out that when i was born the hospital gave us the wrong birth certificate, a copy. After realising this my dad wrang some people and organised some proper id. The guy di9dnt like us for it and took the picture without even telling me to show how ****ed he was but i got it fair and square. It seems that people from the rta have a tendancy to take their anger out on you.

I just hope that the p's test is just as easy, the only worry the practical :
Luke3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2008, 06:30 PM   #84
andrewts
White Car Driver

I passed the Ls test OK, but I failed the Ps test once because of failure to give way to a car. I was coming down a hill doing about 30, and I looked right and left and about 50m up the road on the left was a car coming, by that time if I were to stop and give way, the brakes would have locked, so I decided to drive on. The instructor looked all shocked, I don't know why, the car was miles away from us. He said my driving was "otherwise" really good and consistent, and then proceeded to complain how my car (ED) had nothing for him to grab onto inside.

Anyway, I took the test again in the instructor's car, and this time I misinterpreted an instruction, causing me to drive across two lanes of traffic and down a side street, where I proceeded to do one of the worst kerb-side stops ever (because I'm used to the bigger car, I was quite far out from the kerb). But I passed that time, sheesh.

These days they spend too much time ticking that page. If a driver does everything right by that sheet, they pass. Even if it looks like they will have an accident or do something stupid. But hey, they didn't during the test, so that's alright...
Old 11-12-2008, 07:34 PM   #85
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I failed monumentally the first time.
In both tests cruchned first before moving off. Ugh. The first tester (a real bi...) claims I touched the kerb when I reverse parked- that was untrue- it was a perfect park. That would have been eough to fail but I also managed to creep over the speed limit and pull out infront of a car. Ugh.
Second time was a real nice guy. Passed no worries. Nerves were shot to bits on the first run but second was a piece of cake. Needless to say, I learn my lesson pretty quickly.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2008, 09:38 PM   #86
countertop30
Starter Motor

The 2nd time i got my L's I got 30/30 correct.

Had a mate got for his test on melb cup day few years back and the tester got him to drive him to the TAB, he jumped out placed a bet told my mate to drive him back to the cop shop and passed him.......he had his licence for a total of three weeks and wrote of 2 cars. His dads Ea falcon and his own HQ kingswood
countertop30 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2008, 10:15 PM   #87
MRJUCY
Fordless

My first test the instructor wouldn't get in the car as he said I had bald tyres & would have to rebook the test & wouldn't get a refund. The thing was the car was only a week old ED Fairmont Ghia but I was the last booking on a Friday afternoon & I think he must have wanted to get out of there, understandably I went off my brain at the guy.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2008, 12:35 AM   #88
egoBF2XR6
Starter Motor

past first time, my instructor and the test guy knew each other and spoke about footy the whole time, and he even joked he forgot to do the sheet and we had to drive again.
egoBF2XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2008, 01:02 AM   #89
Phyber
BF= Backend's Farked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Third time, went to the testing centre in East Freo. Guy testing me jumped in the car, got me to drive into Freo, told me to park near Old Papa's, he grabbed a coffee, jumped back in and said I had passed with flying colours.
That's not there anymore, it's all Melville now! It's been turned into some boring townhouses or something.

Passed first time, did one thing wrong which was not indicating when pulling over...thought I was close enough already but meh. Almost had a car back into me as we were pulling into the DPI carpark and exclaimed my horror at other people's terrible driving to the tester bloke, guess he liked that too.

I agree the hazard perception test is a bit screwy, mate failed due to thinking a pixellated butterfly was a brick being thrown, lol!

-------------------------------------------
BFII XR6T - ZF box
Racewars 2017 result - 800m @ 229km/h - 1000m @ 241km/h
PB: 317rwkw - 11.94 @ 120mph - 2.093 60'
PB: Stock/208rwkw - 13.594 @ 105mph - 2.297 60'
-------------------------------------------
Phyber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2008, 01:33 AM   #90
Jayden
Graphic Artist

first time I was going with the traffic flow and he nabbed me instantly for speeding.

The second time I had some really fat instructor and I just made too many little errors, like getting tricked into parking in front of a hydrant. And when I was waiting at a T section and the oncoming car indicated so I pulled out, he docked points for that too and tells me the story of how the indicator in his falcon gets stuck sometimes.

3rd time I had an uber ***hole and he slammed the brakes on me in a car park and accused me of going to hit a parked car. utter BS that was.

4th time I brown nosed the instructor, bitched about how dangerous intersections seemed to have giveway signs and clear ones had stop signs which really struck an old nerve with him. and passed 100%.

moral of the story. get lucky and get a good instructor first time.