Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 30-05-2021, 09:37 PM   #11041
Itsme
Experienced Member

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Liberal MP Dan Tehan tells out-of-work Victorians to head to Centrelink, but they may not receive support

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-...link/100176828

"Appearing on Insiders on Sunday, Trade Minister Dan Tehan was asked how the federal government planned on supporting casual workers through their fourth lockdown.

He pointed to coronavirus crisis payments available through Centrelink.

"Well, you can go to Centrelink and if you're eligible, if you've lost a complete week's work or if you will lose two weeks' work, then you might be eligible for one of these emergency health payments," Mr Tehan said."

"The Services Australia website says support is only available for people "ordered to quarantine or self-isolate""

I'm not one that had expected the Feds to provide any financial support for this lock down. But crikey.....
Well maybe the state government should have stepped up more with payments to these people after all they did order the lockdown.
PS: I'm not sticking up for the Feds but cheap politics and nitpicking seems to be the norm with us the public suffering.
This user likes this post:
Old 30-05-2021, 09:46 PM   #11042
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Ahh crap, just heard on the news that a resident in an aged care facility in maidstone (I think it was) has tested positive to covid but they don't know how they got it.

I sure hope this is not the start of another wave through aged care facilities.

E: correction, an aged care worker, not resident.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
Old 30-05-2021, 09:59 PM   #11043
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Well maybe the state government should have stepped up more with payments to these people after all they did order the lockdown.
PS: I'm not sticking up for the Feds but cheap politics and nitpicking seems to be the norm with us the public suffering.
Oh the optics though....firstly, what he said re: centrelink.....secondly, the millions paid to big companies that reaped in record profits during the pandemic (Harvey Norman anyone?), but can't spare a dollar for the ordinary aussie. The state gov has stepped up for SME businesses, but nothing for workers I don't think?

Its an interesting argument though. As I said, I had zero expectation that the feds would chip in, so there is no disappointment here. I think we know what WA and NSW would do going forward, but if there was an outbreak in SA or QLD in the future, I wonder if they'll think twice about a snap lock down. And if they decide to let the virus rip (or delay a shut down), what that means for the rest of the country. Be careful what one wishes for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Ahh crap, just heard on the news that a resident in an aged care facility in maidstone (I think it was) has tested positive to covid but they don't know how they got it.

I sure hope this is not the start of another wave through aged care facilities.

E: correction, an aged care worker, not resident.
Yep, although that worker had their shot a few weeks ago, so hopefully less severe symptoms and less chance of passing it on. Another mystery case and I think we are in for an extended lock down in metro melb, but I reckon they'll relax regional if there are no more cases out there.
2 users like this post:
Old 31-05-2021, 09:37 AM   #11044
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Just heard on ABC Sydney that there is a confirmed infection amongst the residents of that Maidstone Facility...
Old 31-05-2021, 09:54 AM   #11045
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

So long as the operators don’t take the “chicken pox party” approach again…
Old 31-05-2021, 10:06 AM   #11046
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Qantas considers free flights, points as vaccination incentive

Quote:
Qantas is considering giving free flight vouchers or frequent flyer points to people who’ve had Covid-19 shots, joining a growing list of businesses offering vaccination incentives to kick-start global travel.

While details haven’t been finalised, fully-inoculated Qantas frequent fliers might also be offered free loyalty status credits, the airline confirmed.

Qantas CEO Alan Joyce has previously declared that vaccination will be compulsory for all Australians stepping onto an international Qantas flight when those flights resume, although exceptions may be made for some 'bubble' destinations similar to the current arrangement with New Zealand.
https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...tion-incentive
Old 31-05-2021, 10:34 AM   #11047
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

According to Bill Shorten, there are one or two residents who have tested positive.

I see in this article that some of the workers at Maidsrtone Arcare have also done shifts at other aged care facilities. Let's hope that they don't have covid.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/co...5-c604d2b92c15

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 31-05-2021, 11:48 AM   #11048
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

ABC Radio says an Aged care worker at a Sunshine facility has tested +ve now. Not clear if it's the same person as the Maidstone facility who appears to be working multiple sites.
Old 31-05-2021, 11:48 AM   #11049
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone else noticing Uncle Rupert slowly changing their tone?

Scott Morrison slammed over $2 billion JobKeeper bombshell

https://www.news.com.au/national/pol...e44a6f899f4aa6

"Scott Morrison has been accused of being “missing in action” over the Victorian lockdown by allowing his home state of New South Wales to quietly pocket more JobKeeper cash despite fewer lockdowns.

Despite the Morrison Government’s constant refrain that Victoria has secured by “far and away the highest per capita economic support to any state and territory”, the Prime Minister rarely notes that in dollar terms NSW has scored more wage subsidies than Victoria.

A breakdown of JobKeeper spending by state confirms that NSW scored $30 billion in wage subsidy handouts over the life of the program until it was axed last year.

Despite enduring over 100 days of lockdown, Victoria secured $28.1 billion in JobKeeper payments – a shortfall of nearly $2 billion compared to NSW."

Old 31-05-2021, 11:54 AM   #11050
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
According to Bill Shorten, there are one or two residents who have tested positive.

I see in this article that some of the workers at Maidsrtone Arcare have also done shifts at other aged care facilities. Let's hope that they don't have covid.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/co...5-c604d2b92c15
The resident(s) who "may" have got it have already had their first jab.

But how long ago was the jab? It takes 2 weeks to kick in. And if it has been 2 weeks, lets hope its as effective as it has been advertised. This is going to be a test case for Pfizer.
Old 31-05-2021, 12:09 PM   #11051
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Anyone else noticing Uncle Rupert slowly changing their tone?

Scott Morrison slammed over $2 billion JobKeeper bombshell

https://www.news.com.au/national/pol...e44a6f899f4aa6

"Scott Morrison has been accused of being “missing in action” over the Victorian lockdown by allowing his home state of New South Wales to quietly pocket more JobKeeper cash despite fewer lockdowns.

Despite the Morrison Government’s constant refrain that Victoria has secured by “far and away the highest per capita economic support to any state and territory”, the Prime Minister rarely notes that in dollar terms NSW has scored more wage subsidies than Victoria.

A breakdown of JobKeeper spending by state confirms that NSW scored $30 billion in wage subsidy handouts over the life of the program until it was axed last year.

Despite enduring over 100 days of lockdown, Victoria secured $28.1 billion in JobKeeper payments – a shortfall of nearly $2 billion compared to NSW."

Journalistic licence maybe. Morrison supposed to have said more money per capita. Journo says NSW got more money but neglects to say that NSW has more people
Old 31-05-2021, 12:10 PM   #11052
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
ABC Radio says an Aged care worker at a Sunshine facility has tested +ve now. Not clear if it's the same person as the Maidstone facility who appears to be working multiple sites.
Bluecross Western Gardens.

And my understanding is that it is a different person to the Arcare worker and is also a mystery case.

E: ABC News is announcing that a second worker at the Arcare has tested positive, as well as one resident. The second employee has not been vaccinated as they were on personal leave when the vaccine rollout occurred.

Seriously, how can someone who has not been vaccinated be allowed to work in a facility that is at such high risk? I would have thought there would have been restrictions to manage the risk.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0; 31-05-2021 at 12:20 PM.
Old 31-05-2021, 12:21 PM   #11053
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Journalistic licence maybe. Morrison supposed to have said more money per capita. Journo says NSW got more money but neglects to say that NSW has more people
Yep, that's the problem with throwing one liners without context. So "more people", is that more working people? Is it more businesses? etc. Doubt we'll ever get a break down. It doesn't really matter anymore to be honest. People have lost faith in the system.

Quote:
Bluecross Western Gardens.
And my understanding is that it is a different person to the Arcare worker and is also a mystery case.
Update:
"A second aged care worker in Melbourne has tested positive to coronavirus.

In a letter obtained by radio station 3AW, BlueCross chief executive Robert Putamorsi said a staff member at Western Gardens facility in Sunshine had tested positive. The employee was a close contact of a worker at an Arcare aged care home in Maidstone who tested positive over the weekend.

“We remain under the direction of the DHHS [sic] who have advised us to quarantine all residents in their rooms,” the letter said. “We are closely monitoring all residents for any symptoms of COVID-19.”

“At this stage, all are symptom-free.”

Mr Putamorsi said BlueCross was involved in extensive contract-tracing efforts.

The positive staff member, who last worked at the facility on May 28, received a negative test last week. Authorities notified BlueCross yesterday that the worker had then returned a positive result.

Mr Putamorsi said 76 per cent of residents had already received their first vaccine dose."
Old 31-05-2021, 12:44 PM   #11054
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT May 30th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

18 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.023%.

2 cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.973% and active cases 16.

The UK had a lower 3,111 cases yesterday and 6 deaths.

Just over 12k new cases in the USA yesterday and 349 deaths sees CMR at 1.791%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points: (weekend reporting)

Global cases pass 171M, the last 1M taking 2 days;
Global deaths pass 3.55M, the last 50k in 4 days;
Asia passes 51M cases;
India passes 28M cases;

only-
Afghanistan (1,076)

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

No countries move above the 90th percentile for their 10 day average while Ecuador drops below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 31-05-2021, 01:00 PM   #11055
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

To put the aged care risks into an urban perspective, here’s my observation per the services for my family.

Aged care workers attend the house, provide a designated service and go on to provide other or same services at other residences through the day.

75% of them also do shifts at residential care. One further works as a cleaner. Two of them share-house with others in a variety of occupations including aged care and on-campus academic studies.

Only about half who attend, have had even one vaccine dose. It’s supported by their employers but not a mandated event.

It’s easy to see why a readily transmissible disease can spread widely and quickly in such circumstance.
Old 31-05-2021, 01:32 PM   #11056
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

ABC Radio Sydney just announced another 6 cases in addition to the 5 announced this morning??

So 11 in total now.
Old 31-05-2021, 02:32 PM   #11057
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
To put the aged care risks into an urban perspective, here’s my observation per the services for my family.

Aged care workers attend the house, provide a designated service and go on to provide other or same services at other residences through the day.

75% of them also do shifts at residential care. One further works as a cleaner. Two of them share-house with others in a variety of occupations including aged care and on-campus academic studies.

Only about half who attend, have had even one vaccine dose. It’s supported by their employers but not a mandated event.

It’s easy to see why a readily transmissible disease can spread widely and quickly in such circumstance.
Canberra withdrew rules on single-site working in aged care homes

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...31-p57wks.html

"An email sent to aged care facilities late last week confirmed the lifting of the ban in November, which was implemented after the deaths of 655 aged care residents in Victoria during the coronavirus outbreaks of 2020."

Good to hear public aged care run by Vic Gov maintained the ban. Interesting to hear the journos asking if Vic Gov has legal powers to stop Fed runned aged care from doing the same, but the answer wasn't clear. I can tell you more horrifying stories of whats happening there at the moment, but afraid it'll give people mental health issues.
Old 31-05-2021, 02:55 PM   #11058
tweeked
N/A all the way

23 of 76 residents there apparently refused the first vaccine shot when they were done there. Hope they keep mentioning that when they say that the government has not vaccinated all residents there.

The senseless overreaction and beat up by the media over AZ has more to answer for than anyone on the vaccination rates.

2 users like this post:
Old 31-05-2021, 05:12 PM   #11059
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
The senseless overreaction and beat up by the media over AZ has more to answer for than anyone on the vaccination rates.
Let's see the evidence of the senseless beatup you're referring to, 'cause I've only ever seen the media report the data accurately.

Old 31-05-2021, 05:25 PM   #11060
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Seriously, how can someone who has not been vaccinated be allowed to work in a facility that is at such high risk? I would have thought there would have been restrictions to manage the risk.
I think the Victorian government mandates everyone working in the hotel quarantine system to be vaccinated. If you don't get vaccinated, you don't work. Simple.

Aged care is managed by the Federal government, and there is no mandatory requirement for aged care workers to be vaccinated. So... once again, the current Liberal government have let us down.

Old 31-05-2021, 05:44 PM   #11061
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
23 of 76 residents there apparently refused the first vaccine shot when they were done there. Hope they keep mentioning that when they say that the government has not vaccinated all residents there.

Hmmm yes and no. Aged care residents get Pfizer. Aged care residents were in 1a and 1b, who should have been offered and done prior to the reporting of AZ complications.

There was just general vaccine hesitancy all round. Whats the likelihood it was family members who decided on their behalf? I dunno.

We spent $70m odd advertising CovidSafe app, but I've seen very little on vaccination.
Old 31-05-2021, 05:44 PM   #11062
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
I think the Victorian government mandates everyone working in the hotel quarantine system to be vaccinated. If you don't get vaccinated, you don't work. Simple.

Aged care is managed by the Federal government, and there is no mandatory requirement for aged care workers to be vaccinated. So... once again, the current Liberal government have let us down.
One you are mandating vaccination relating to a specific task in a small number of locations within an industry that’s been adapted to suit said task being quarantine.

The other would be a nation wide mandate for an entire profession, not even remotely comparable.
Old 31-05-2021, 06:13 PM   #11063
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
We spent $70m odd advertising CovidSafe app, but I've seen very little on vaccination.
If only Scotty's app that was meant to be our "ticket to freedom" actually worked like it was supposed to eh?

What an absolute useless waste of tax payers money that was!!
Old 31-05-2021, 06:37 PM   #11064
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
Let's see the evidence of the senseless beatup you're referring to, 'cause I've only ever seen the media report the data accurately.
So you are saying that the data presents that you are better off not getting AZ as a 70 plus year old than going in with a 1 in a 100,000 chance of a predominately treatable clot?

As I said, senseless (the predominant word) beatup.

But then again, those sorts of reports are right up your alley, you are the expert all of the dire predictions of impending doom.

170 million cases and your google searching of Armageddon of everyone who has covid having a huge chance of being an invalid for life, with all organs failing in some way hasn't eventuated. There are no signs of it being any different to any other significant disease.

Old 31-05-2021, 06:42 PM   #11065
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

So the three schools, Willmott Park Primary School, Mercy College and Methodist Ladies’ College that closed today... are they related to the positive cases announced today?

Did little kid(s) test positive at Willmont PS? Can't seem to find much detail other than this:

"The school, as of the 31st of May, will be closed due to a positive COVID case and will remain closed until further notice," a statement from assistant principal Carmel Guglielmino read.

Why were the schools open? I thought all schools were closed as of last Friday?

Last edited by Tickford.; 31-05-2021 at 06:56 PM.
Old 31-05-2021, 06:45 PM   #11066
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Hmmm yes and no. Aged care residents get Pfizer. Aged care residents were in 1a and 1b, who should have been offered and done prior to the reporting of AZ complications.

There was just general vaccine hesitancy all round. Whats the likelihood it was family members who decided on their behalf? I dunno.

According to this they can get either AZ or Pfizer

https://www.health.gov.au/initiative...diness-toolkit

Agree on the vaccination. The info I was given in 5 minutes when getting my shot was so much clearer and set me at ease.

Old 31-05-2021, 07:12 PM   #11067
leesa

Quote:
So you are saying that the data presents that you are better off not getting AZ as a 70 plus year old than going in with a 1 in a 100,000 chance of a predominately treatable clot?

As I said, senseless (the predominant word) beatup.
The media have never told 70+ year olds to not get vaccinated. Not that I've seen, but you're welcome to provide links to these supposed articles.
What they have done is report the facts, the numbers of people who have had reactions, whether they've survived or not, repeated medical advice regarding the risks of possible side effects versus not being vaccinated and told people to talk to their GP if they have any concerns. Then left people to make their own informed decisions.

Like I said, feel free to show me what you mean because your blame of the media seems pretty far-fetched.

If you're suggesting that the media shouldn't report data at all... or report it selectively so as to achieve something that someone (who??) has decided is in public interest.... that's kinda leaning towards CCP's practises.
There would be absolute uproar (with you probably right up front) about how the gubment are hiding things from the people because they want to control everyone.

Old 31-05-2021, 08:01 PM   #11068
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Take a bow Victoria's contact tracing team. After 7 days of this outbreak, with a virus that is said to be 2 - 3 times more infectious than the US strain that was of the Avalon outbreak in NSW, VIC has managed to contain it to have fewer Cases than NSW after 7 days of the Avalon outbreak. In a wider AND more densely populated area too!

Not my opinion. Just facts.

Old 31-05-2021, 09:10 PM   #11069
leesa

Quote:
Take a bow Victoria's contact tracing team. After 7 days of this outbreak, with a virus that is said to be 2 - 3 times more infectious than the US strain that was of the Avalon outbreak in NSW, VIC has managed to contain it to have fewer Cases than NSW after 7 days of the Avalon outbreak. In a wider AND more densely populated area too!

Not my opinion. Just facts.

That's one way to look at it but if I'm reading the table right, VIC had about half the number of cases as NSW did in the first 7 days? The 7day rolling average is then also about half the number of cases as NSW so they both had an 85% reduction in cases as at the 7days? AKA - aren't they're performing about the same over the same period of time?

Old 31-05-2021, 10:08 PM   #11070
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
And the rules were bent for him AND his wife to travel to NZ. The PM has been in Melbourne in the last 14 days. No one else is allowed to travel to NZ if they've been in Melbourne in the last 14 days.

Difference between him and us is he has had the proper vaccine.

No AZ crap in his veins...betcha his family went in on the Pfizer too...

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
Closed Thread