Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 08:38 AM   #11281
slowsnake
Banned

Default Re: Covid 19 -

And as for the Costa Rica news??
what does that have to do with anything, Costa Rica is just some country in South America, a holiday playground for rich americans, and the vaccines were more than likely Black market and made of saline solution!

And there is a black market for any and everything, why not covid vaccine?
The biggest attraction beside the beaches and the poverty is a visit to the "bat caves", no thanks!..lol..

Cheers Billy.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:18 AM   #11282
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Victoria’s Delta variant Covid mutation could devastate the world again

Quote:
The UK was making great strides in recovering from its deadly Covid run... until the Delta variant struck. Australia should take it as a warning.

Now, the Delta variation is taking hold in the UK and threatening to put the country on a backwards slide. It has now become the UK’s most dominant Covid strain, with cases rising 70 per cent in the past week.

There have been another 5765 new covid infections recorded in the UK over the past 24 hours, and 13 deaths, bringing the total fatalities to 127,836, The Sun reports.

The Delta mutation is believed to be a super spreader, which is much more transmissible than the previous variant of the virus which gripped the UK last December and now poses a serious threat to the country’s reopening plans.

Despite British Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s pledge to reopen the country by June 21, minster are working on plans to move “Freedom Day” to next month and retaining distancing and limits on fans in stadiums, a move which is sparking concerns England’s hosting of the euros could be plunged into chaos.

It comes as a Public Health England report shows that those who tested positive for the Delta variant were at 161 per cent more risk of needing to be admitted to hospital within a fortnight. There are also reports of it causing serious illness in children.
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...59c4d140b83729
Old 07-06-2021, 09:28 AM   #11283
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
what does that have to do with anything, Costa Rica is just some country in South America, a holiday playground for rich americans, and the vaccines were more than likely Black market and made of saline solution!

The biggest attraction beside the beaches and the poverty is a visit to the "bat caves", no thanks!..lol..

Cheers Billy.
He lives there Billy and is a member here so fo me entirely
relevant, always good to get a boots on the ground opinion
from other parts of the world and it's somewhere i hope to visit someday.
Cheers Mark.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:30 AM   #11284
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:

Cheers Billy.
The person who posted that lives in Costa Rica.

He and his wife moved over there a few years ago but can't return to Australia to see their grandkids. Actually, I don't think they have even met their grandkids. Being a grandfather myself, I can understand how hard that must be. My wife goes crazy if she hasn't seen our grandchild for 7 days.

So yeah, the Costa Rica news has everything to do with that poster.

EDIT: Sorry, was answered above while I was typing this.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:40 AM   #11285
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2
The next person who questions the ethics of a moderator in this thread or any other thread within this forum can have a 7 day holiday.

Also, be careful if you want to PM one of us. The above will apply.

Quite frankly, I am sick of it. We donate our time to administer this forum so we all can have somewhere to 'hang out' and share our experiences. We don't expect anything in return and that includes being abused or having our ethics questioned.

At the end of the day, us moderators are human and we do the best we can.
I'm not as forgiving. Tickford has received a couple of day holiday for his comments as will anyone else who wants to call out the mod team in public as it will not be tolerated.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 07-06-2021, 10:17 AM   #11286
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by five 7 View Post
He lives there Billy and is a member here so fo me entirely
relevant, always good to get a boots on the ground opinion
from other parts of the world and it's somewhere i hope to visit someday.
Cheers Mark.
Yes mate I got PM from moderator, no malice intended on my part, no intended put down of the poster, my interest was the bat caves, everyone thought covid come from bats, and I read an article of some of the poorer countries buying black market vaccines, mainly in poor African countries!

There was absolutely no offence meant to this member, but it was taken, I can't turn back the clock,its done now.

Cheers Billy.
3 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2021, 11:26 AM   #11287
leesa

What's the deal with trying to compare states anyway? Why the need to make sure you're not at the bottom in terms of numbers of cases? Is it an ego thing? I'm not sure why people get so cranky and defensive about it.

Last edited by leesa; 07-06-2021 at 11:38 AM.

3 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2021, 11:48 AM   #11288
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
What's the deal with trying to compare states anyway? Why the need to make sure you're not at the bottom in terms of numbers of cases? Is it an ego thing? I'm not sure why people get so cranky and defensive about it.
Schandenfreude. Rather sad.

11 today (includes 2 reported yesterday). We are now day 11 since restrictions applied. If its household of existing cases, fine. If not, its getting smelly.
Old 07-06-2021, 11:48 AM   #11289
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT June 6th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

17 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.016%.

No cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 0.969% and active cases 17.

The UK had a lower 5,223 cases yesterday and 4 deaths.

Just over 11,603 new cases in the USA yesterday and 387 deaths sees CMR at 1.790%.

Other notable points: (weekend reporting)

Global cases pass 174M, the last 1M taking 2 days;

Uganda (1,259); and
Afghanistan (1,520)

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

No countries move above the 90th percentile for their 10 day average and none drop below.

Observatio Facta Rotae

This user likes this post:
Old 07-06-2021, 11:48 AM   #11290
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:

Cheers Billy.
Yeah ok Billy…. Been here have ya?
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 07-06-2021, 12:08 PM   #11291
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Yeah ok Billy…. Been here have ya?
No i haven't,and I meant no offence, but you posted the link and I read it and gave my opinion!
Leave it at that!

Cheers Billy.
Old 07-06-2021, 12:14 PM   #11292
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Thanks btw Billy… Apology accepted! (Rich and famous gave me a giggle! I wish)
One of the reasons I post how Costa Rica is going through this pandemic, is that it’s population is similar to Victoria’s (where I’m from)
Most would consider CR a 3rd world country, so no comparison?
However, it’s far from 3rd world, it’s health facilities, it’s hospitals, it’s dental facilities are absolutely world class (and a huge attraction to American & Canadian retirees that relocate here)
What is interesting is the proportionate covid numbers CR vs Victoria Australia (remembering similar pop) Chalk and cheese.. Last few months, It was the norm to have 2500-3000 NEW cases per day!… 30-35 deaths per DAY!..
Can you imagine Victoria with these numbers?
And, yes, we have enforced mask wearing protocols, sanitary stations at every entrance to every establishment, 25% capacities on restaurants, bars etc, No drive days depending on last digit on number plates, QR codes, Testing facilities everywhere….
So, yeah… I understand how some would say “who gives a feck about Costa bloody Rica”, but to me it’s pretty relevant!
(And, ain’t seen too many bat caves here, well no more than in Nth Qld rainforests!)
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
Old 07-06-2021, 12:33 PM   #11293
slowsnake
Banned

You know I have mates who have travelled all over Nth and Sth America and one in particular mentioned all the bat caves?
This is in Costa Rica, he did a long road trip right through the place, he mentioned as a tourist bat caves, lots of bat caves?...that's why I mentioned it, the whole world thought Chinese bats caused covid, and I wondered if CR had a similar issue, people blaming bats?

Cheers Billy.
Old 07-06-2021, 12:48 PM   #11294
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Our Boa takes care of any stray bats….
2 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2021, 02:08 PM   #11295
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
I'm not as forgiving. Tickford has received a couple of day holiday for his comments as will anyone else who wants to call out the mod team in public as it will not be tolerated.
I'm surprised he hasn't been thread banned. It's day after day after day of Dan is a hero propaganda from him

Delusional. The numbers don't lie. Vic gov has botched covid outbreaks over and over again.
Old 07-06-2021, 02:46 PM   #11296
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I can’t be the only one feeling the “we too, want to end this lockdown” sentiment coming from Victorian authorities is a bit fake, like the acquaintance who always says they want to catch up but never make the effort themselves.

It has little impact on me at present; temporary inconvenience. But I empathise with the Victorians who haven’t received a clear statement of practical strategy/goal they can work towards and thus remain significantly constrained.
7 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2021, 04:24 PM   #11297
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Every day of lock down they are losing votes. Up to this point, I'm not exactly sure what else they could have done given the scenario of how the virus came to Vic and what unfolded before the spread was detected. Suggestions?

QR code was the blame this time, but they caught 10,000+ close contacts in a couple of days.

If you take the case numbers as being accurate and transparent, then I'm not sure how one can say it would have been better to have had no restrictions. Would have preferred a 3 day snap lock down from day 1 to be honest, but it appears they tried to hold off a bit longer this time, but given the gaps it had already spread too far.

I gotta say, the comms this time around has been appalling. Drip drab of info that gets changed and updated in a couple of hours. 11 today, but 2 reported yesterday.....wtf is it 9 or 11? Numbers dripped out in the morning with no context, then 2 hours later tells everyone its all connected.
Old 07-06-2021, 06:23 PM   #11298
tweeked
N/A all the way

UK over 5000 new cases yesterday and hasnt been under 2000 a day for a month......

but only 4 deaths...........

Looks like AstraZeneca is doing a good job of protecting you from serious illness. Not so good at stopping you getting the Ultra Beast variant though, but as long as the hospitals stay pretty much empty it is a way out.

2 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2021, 06:47 PM   #11299
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I'm surprised he hasn't been thread banned. It's day after day after day of Dan is a hero propaganda from him

Delusional. The numbers don't lie. Vic gov has botched covid outbreaks over and over again.
you cant let the truth get in the way of a good story but.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:40 PM   #11300
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Victorian liberal demands Premier Daniel Andrews answer questions about his injuries

Ms Staley issued a statement demanding the premier answer questions about the fall and his continued salary while on sick leave.
"Daniel Andrews has been off on sick leave for 91 days. He has continued to be paid as Premier despite not doing the job," the statement read.
"Over his time off he has pocketed over $110,000 ($1209.42 per day) of the taxes paid by the long-suffering people of Victoria."

Ms Staley said she wanted the following questions answered by Mr Andrews before he returns to work.
Who was in the house at the time of the incident?
What is the address of the house where it occurred?
Who owns the property?
What time was an ambulance called?
Who called the ambulance?
What time did the ambulance arrive?
Which ambulance station was the ambulance dispatched from?
Who made the decision to take the Premier to Peninsula Private?
Were the police contacted?
Did the police attend?
Has Daniel Andrews been interviewed either formally or informally by the police in relation to anything that occurred over that long weekend?

https://www.9news.com.au/national/li...4-a26dfeb8a355
3 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2021, 10:04 PM   #11301
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Victorian liberal demands Premier Daniel Andrews answer questions about his injuries

Ms Staley issued a statement demanding the premier answer questions about the fall and his continued salary while on sick leave.
"Daniel Andrews has been off on sick leave for 91 days. He has continued to be paid as Premier despite not doing the job," the statement read.
"Over his time off he has pocketed over $110,000 ($1209.42 per day) of the taxes paid by the long-suffering people of Victoria."

Ms Staley said she wanted the following questions answered by Mr Andrews before he returns to work.
Who owns the property?
Did the police attend?
Has Daniel Andrews been interviewed either formally or informally by the police in relation to anything that occurred over that long weekend?

That will be a flop as Mr Spin King Daniel Andrews will fob it off like everything else he does.

If only the Libs could win the next election and hold a Royal Commission into the handling of Hotel Quarantine; geez that will cause some friction and angst amongst the labour cronies.
I can now see Daniel Andrews head on a spike.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2021, 02:56 AM   #11302
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
That will be a flop as Mr Spin King Daniel Andrews will fob it off like everything else he does.

If only the Libs could win the next election and hold a Royal Commission into the handling of Hotel Quarantine; geez that will cause some friction and angst amongst the labour cronies.
I can now see Daniel Andrews head on a spike.
As a Victorian I'd love to see a royal commission. Heck I'd support a levy to fund it. There would be a lot of sphincter twitching and I reckon you may not get the result you are after.

But, alas, we don't like officials being besmirched so it'll never happen. Tell me, what lessons did we learn out of Ruby Princess "special" commission?
Old 08-06-2021, 06:33 AM   #11303
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quite a lot was learned. Mainly "lift your game, do your job and don't let it happen again"... and it didn't.

Ruby Princess coronavirus inquiry slams 'inexcusable' mistakes made by NSW Health

By Jonathan Hair
Posted Friday 14 August 2020 at 4:34pm, updated Friday 14 August 2020 at 6:23pm

Quote:
Key points:
  • The independent inquiry scrutinised the March disembarkation of the Ruby Princess
  • The findings slammed NSW Health for missing a spike in illness among passengers
  • At least 28 deaths and 662 coronavirus cases were linked to the Ruby Princess

An inquiry into the Ruby Princess cruise ship has identified "serious", "inexcusable" and "inexplicable" mistakes by NSW Health.

But the report from the special commission of inquiry makes few recommendations, saying health authorities had recognised mistakes made, and would "do things differently if they had their time again".

"It is inappropriate and unhelpful to make recommendations to experts that in truth amount to no more than 'do your job'," Commissioner Bret Walker SC said in his report.

In one section, Mr Walker explained why he made few recommendations.

"The mistakes and failures in decision-making here have, to a large extent, been recognised by the physicians of the Expert Panel, and by NSW Health more broadly," he said.

"They would do things differently if they had their time again.

"There are no 'systemic' failures to address.

"Put simply, despite the best efforts of all, some serious mistakes were made," he said.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-...-down/12557714
Old 08-06-2021, 08:43 AM   #11304
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It didn't cos cruise ships have stopped running . An inquiry that did not interview key witnesses, gave no recommendations, and concluded "oh, you say you say you won't do it again? Off you go then"

Whats the saying? "You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time."

As I said, I'd fully support a royal inquiry into the response. In fact, we should probably do one across the entire country once we get over this BS, to get ready for the next.
Old 08-06-2021, 09:22 AM   #11305
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:

Who owns the property?
Did the police attend?

What no "Dan get well soon" card from the Vic State Libs?
Old 08-06-2021, 10:00 AM   #11306
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Whats the saying? "You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.
Oh I don't know... how's Lockdown 5 going for you?
2 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2021, 10:03 AM   #11307
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:

Who owns the property?
Did the police attend?

I dont recall an event with a pollie being so bizarre given what is going on and how this has been reported, or not, perhaps old Harold Holt but I wasnt around then.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 08-06-2021, 10:10 AM   #11308
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haven't checked in on this thread for quite a while,WOW, I thought I was an angry person.
To the mod's, your efforts are appreciated by almost everyone I'm sure, keep up the good work.
Old 08-06-2021, 10:17 AM   #11309
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Oh I don't know... how's Lockdown 5 going for you?
Yeh not great fella, but you already knew that. Whats that got to do with the question though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
What no "Dan get well soon" card from the Vic State Libs?
Ironic, its antics like these which will keep them out of the next race.
Old 08-06-2021, 10:40 AM   #11310
HIPO
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
I dont recall an event with a pollie being so bizarre given what is going on and how this has been reported, or not, perhaps old Harold Holt but I wasnt around then.
He's being reprogrammed!
Closed Thread