Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #1141
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Who works in the mines and what doing

From the underground days, 2win boomer Jumbo, As a Fitter Hate em with a passion but easily the coolest bit of gear going around when they are not playing up. And watching a good operator working them, you just about got to have some respect for the bone head LOL. That and Boggers it’s just cool gear. The surface stuff is big so it looks impressive but the absolute flogging the underground gear takes and just comes back for more it’s just amazing.

Old 22-07-2012, 07:25 AM   #1142
Luke G
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR1STO
I was calling around a few Geotechnical places in Melbourne yesterday as I handed in my resignation after 7 years at a company.
While talking to a guy over the phone about jobs in Melbourne, I was offered a fly in fly out job as a Geo in WA (unsure of where as yet). The money is huuuge, but, it's 28 days on (2x13days & 2xdays off), the home for 7 days. The roster rotates as 1 month day shift and 1 month night shift.

I spoke to the missus about it and she agrees that the money is way too good to pass up, but, the toll on our relationship would be hard.

How are you guys finding it with FIFO jobs over there?
Many marriage/relationship breakdowns..?

I mean, it all sounds great in dollars and cents, but 2-3 years is a long time to do FIFO and that is what they are offering me..

Advice..?

Cheers
Hey mate 28 days on and 7 days off will be bloody hard, Thats a realy tough roster.

Have you worked 28 nighshifts before? They can be hard going especialy at night 20 onwards. Then to only have 7 days at home recovery then your back into it there's got to be a HSE issue with that?

If you trust your missus and your both on the same page you won't have any problems but as I said 28days away is a tough gig.

Will you be in an isolated camp inland somewhere?
Luke G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 11:29 AM   #1143
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X
Bit of Grey area mate, I have got heaps of photos from work, some of them I would not post online, Youtube is full of vids and stuff just got to be mindful of what you put up.

Yes it is worth calling mate, that 2 or 5 year experience thing is just something they put in there, if you can show you are not half a stupid C*&T you will get a go. But you have to keep on em. HR in the mining sector is Pathetic!!

So is the Job listings, I’m currently a contractor working on a rio tinto Iron ore site and know they are after diesel fitters, Knowing the industry me and another bloke today jumped on the rio website and did a Job search for this site ( Not that we were looking to jump ship), No Vacancies listed, honestly Often I wonder how much of this “Skills Shortage” is smoke a BS, no doubt there is a gap but is it as big as it’s made out to be...........
Cool, most people on this forum know I can be annoying (in a good way?) so I will attack them tomorrow.

Im with you about the skills shortage thing, from what I have seen its no where near as bad as they make it out to be.

Dont even get me started on HR.....

RE: photos..I was new and they where hammering us with electronic equipment underground. In saying that the particular company I worked for had their site shut down because of gas levels...so caution perhaps is good sometimes.

I really want to give WA a crack, we are ready to move and the missus has been there before (as a child though)..so we will see.

Thanks guys
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #1144
B&D Racing
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
In saying that the particular company I worked for had their site shut down because of gas levels...so caution perhaps is good sometimes.
Word currently is they will have to walk away from a $600 000 000 investment due to the fault line.

http://www.dailymercury.com.au/story...gh-gas-levels/
B&D Racing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #1145
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj777
Word currently is they will have to walk away from a $600 000 000 investment due to the fault line.

http://www.dailymercury.com.au/story...gh-gas-levels/
Doesnt surprise me....unreal I finally get an "in" and its about the only mining company in Oz that has a hiring freeze when I graduate!

I believe they brought the site from another company knowing about the fault but didnt expect it to be so bad. Mind you I learnt alot there, that foam stuff they use to fill cavities is crazy, not to mention $$$. Didnt work either.

I hope they fix it up as they have big plans for Oz, they a a decent company globally.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 23-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #1146
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

So, I have been offered another FIFO job at the mines as a Geo.
This time instead of 28days on 7days off it is 3 weeks on (with 1 RDO) and 3 weeks off. So technically I'd only be working half of the year, but, the guy is asking for a 2 year (non-contractual) commitment.
Now the money isn't as good as 28 on, 7 off, but, it does sound like something I (and the missus) could handle and 3 weeks at home at a time would mean we could do a fair bit.
Flights and accomodation and whatever else is all paid for too.
Am I stupid to say no..?

Also, it is immediate start.

Cheers

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KR1STO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #1147
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
This time instead of 28days on 7days off it is 3 weeks on (with 1 RDO) and 3 weeks off. So technically I'd only be working half of the year, but, the guy is asking for a 2 year (non-contractual) commitment.
Now the money isn't as good as 28 on, 7 off, but, it does sound like something I (and the missus) could handle and 3 weeks at home at a time would mean we could do a fair bit.
Am I stupid to say no..?

Cheers
Put simply......................YES, you would be stupid to say no..............pretty simple isn't it mate.

3/3 is a good roster, consider it a stepping stone, 2 yr non contractual obligation is just that. NON CONTRACTURAL

NIKE.............Just do it.

Old 23-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #1148
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

holy ****.. take it mate.. I mean it might suck n the third week due to boredon.. but thats a wicked deal.. if you dont want it.. give em my name.. no experience but willing to learn lol
H.G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #1149
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

go for it dude..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #1150
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_ENFORCER
Put simply......................YES, you would be stupid to say no..............pretty simple isn't it mate.

3/3 is a good roster, consider it a stepping stone, 2 yr non contractual obligation is just that. NON CONTRACTURAL

NIKE.............Just do it.

Haha.. cheers mate..
See I'm not looking to actually get into the mines as it has never been high on the list, but so far 2 of the the places in Melb that I have seen about a Geo job have said 'there's heaps in WA'.

So rather than it being a stepping stone I see it as a good amount of experience to further my career. You know what I mean?

The 3/3 roster sounds very appealing as it will give me a lot of time off to get back to 'me'. I mean I've been doing 80+ hour weeks for almost a year and I could do with a break, which the 3/3 roster will give me. Also, I will be earning more money than I am at the moment doing huge hours, so that's a bonus in itself.

I'm leaning towards a Yes at the moment and my last day at my current employment is 31st of this month, so the timing couldn't be better. Also, I won't be dropping money starting at a new place.

Hmmmm.. Guess I've got some thinking to do.. hahah

Cheers

Also: H.G. The only reason I'm getting these jobs is because of my experience. I don't think they're looking for guys to train up.. haha
Have you been applying for stuff..?

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 23-07-2012, 11:16 PM   #1151
XR8T3D
Starter Motor

Quote:
Am I stupid to say no..?

Cheers
Yeah take the 3/3. I'd personally go a little insane having 3 weeks at home with no work and pick up a local job. I know most guys on even timed rosters travel in their few weeks off, blow it all, come back for another 3 weeks. Young, stupid and cash strapped.

Personally I'll stick to a 2/1 over any 3/1, 4/1 roster because the extra time at home at the end of the year outweighs the maybe 2-4 weeks of extra pay. I work with a lot of 3/1 guys and they absolutely hate it, it's hard not only on their families but themselves. 2/1 and shorter is their goal although some can't justify the pay hit. At this point in time I could.

I'm on a week on week off roster trying to confirm an 8/6. Figure with flights and acommodation each trip you're saving yourself $50-90/day food (camp pricing if no laha), $400/night on accomodation and $500 each way on flights. I'm assuming +super and living away from home allowance?

2004 Pontiac GTO
XR8T3D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 11:25 PM   #1152
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8T3D
Yeah take the 3/3. I'd personally go a little insane having 3 weeks at home with no work and pick up a local job. I know most guys on even timed rosters travel in their few weeks off, blow it all, come back for another 3 weeks. Young, stupid and cash strapped.

Personally I'll stick to a 2/1 over any 3/1, 4/1 roster because the extra time at home at the end of the year outweighs the maybe 2-4 weeks of extra pay. I work with a lot of 3/1 guys and they absolutely hate it, it's hard not only on their families but themselves. 2/1 and shorter is their goal although some can't justify the pay hit. At this point in time I could.

I'm on a week on week off roster trying to confirm an 8/6. Figure with flights and acommodation each trip you're saving yourself $50-90/day food (camp pricing if no laha), $400/night on accomodation and $500 each way on flights. I'm assuming +super and living away from home allowance?

He did mention things re: super and living away allowance, but, he wasn't sure on everything, also as I didn't give him a definite answer, he said he'd get something in writing stating ALL the info on $$$ and extras and we'd go from there.
At the moment, it was left as 'have a chat to the missus tonight, give me a call tomorrw and we'll get the ball rolling'. (his words)

The 3/3 appeals to me as it makes it worth flying from melbourne. The 4/1 I was offered would really only be 4.5-5 days at home as flight days are not included in the 28 days.

On the 3 weeks off, there is the option of working a week or a week and a half in melb (in office & on-site) so if I do get bored on the 3 weeks off, I can always do that.
That will bump up the $$$ also.

Thanks for the heads up on super and LAHA. They will be the first things I ask about when I call him..

Cheers

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by KR1STO; 23-07-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old 23-07-2012, 11:43 PM   #1153
XR8T3D
Starter Motor

Quote:
He did mention things re: super and living away allowance, but, he wasn't sure on everything, also as I didn't give him a definite answer, he said he'd get something in writing stating ALL the info on $$$ and extras and we'd go from there.
At the moment, it was left as 'have a chat to the missus tonight, give me a call tomorrw and we'll get the ball rolling'. (his words)

The 3/3 appeals to me as it makes it worth flying from melbourne. The 4/1 I was offered would really only be 4.5-5 days at home as flight days are not included in the 28 days.

On the 3 weeks off, there is the option of working a week or a week and a half in melb (in office & on-site) so if I do get bored on the 3 weeks off, I can always do that.
That will bump up the $$$ also.

Thanks for the heads up on super and LAA. They will be the first things I ask about when I call him..

Cheers
Fantastic deal especially if you don't have to relocate. Check into travel allowance whether you get any from Melbourne to Perth or Perth to up north, assuming that's where you are going.

I get four hours each week I fly up so its a couple hundred bucks extra in my pocket. Check into the new rules for LAHA as I believe the pay rates are supposed to increase due to it being taxed for the 2012/13 financial year. Assuming you get laha most of that will go to food unless they supply that as well which would be an extra bonus to the advantages in taking the 3/3.

No commitment contract
High paying wages, could pay off all debts, mortgages, cars, tuitions and other bill in a short period of time
FIFO from Melbourne, no relocation issues
3 weeks on 3 off plus extra work in the week off if you choose
Job in the mines/up north
Living away from home allowance
Once you get the job, you're FIFO experienced and can take advantage of other job offers if they roll in. I've had 2 dozen since I started initially. This is in a 3 month time period.

Away from family and friends for 3 weeks
Not much to do in certain mining towns but booze and hookers unless you don't mind a quiet night in watching movies on foxtel after 12 hours
High taxes
Taxing on yourself personally and the family

Sure there's more but that's how I could see it.

2004 Pontiac GTO
XR8T3D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #1154
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

The way I see it? Try it, if it doesnt work then go back to the usual. Working for half the year on a good wage...thats awesome.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 24-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #1155
KR1STO
Just another mock-up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8T3D
Fantastic deal especially if you don't have to relocate. Check into travel allowance whether you get any from Melbourne to Perth or Perth to up north, assuming that's where you are going.

I get four hours each week I fly up so its a couple hundred bucks extra in my pocket. Check into the new rules for LAHA as I believe the pay rates are supposed to increase due to it being taxed for the 2012/13 financial year. Assuming you get laha most of that will go to food unless they supply that as well which would be an extra bonus to the advantages in taking the 3/3.

No commitment contract
High paying wages, could pay off all debts, mortgages, cars, tuitions and other bill in a short period of time
FIFO from Melbourne, no relocation issues
3 weeks on 3 off plus extra work in the week off if you choose
Job in the mines/up north
Living away from home allowance
Once you get the job, you're FIFO experienced and can take advantage of other job offers if they roll in. I've had 2 dozen since I started initially. This is in a 3 month time period.

Away from family and friends for 3 weeks
Not much to do in certain mining towns but booze and hookers unless you don't mind a quiet night in watching movies on foxtel after 12 hours
High taxes
Taxing on yourself personally and the family

Sure there's more but that's how I could see it.
Mate, Thanks heaps..!
Your advice is a great help.
Going through making up a pro's and cons list at the moment and a few of your points have gone into it.

I will have a chat to the guy again about laha and super stuff and by next monday, will hopefully have made my mind up.
After speaking with the missus, we're both 60% for and 40% against, so after we iron out a few things, I'm pretty sure I'll be taking the 3/3 offer..

Again, thanks for your input. Very much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
The way I see it? Try it, if it doesnt work then go back to the usual. Working for half the year on a good wage...thats awesome.
Yeah, see I'm in the same mind. If it's not me I can always get back into a job over here. I've spoken to a few other places and have been offered positions locally, so I could always fall back on them.

Cheers.!

see my car here:
Built my own TL50!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 25-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #1156
56L
a.k.a PAULY

WELL,i WAS working at a mine until last week driving a half million dollar Kenworth truck and quad dog set up for a earth moving contractor ,UNTIL the mine management heard our foreman was being a bully again.

Mine management then gave the owners 24hours notice to get all the gear off the mine including new CAT graders ,rollers water trucks ,vacuum trucks,excavators ,5 or so other trucks besides the 2 new Kenworths,just awesome (NOT).
1947 ford thames tipper V8 21 stud flat head
1939 ford beer barrel truck V8 24 stud flat head
HZJ diesel ute
HJ47 diesel ute

Last edited by 56L; 25-07-2012 at 08:36 PM.
56L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #1157
05_ENFORCER

Lynch your foreman from a tree

Old 26-07-2012, 03:32 AM   #1158
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

2wks on/off here and am loving it!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #1159
druxr6t

Finally over working in the city! Too much talking and not enough doing. Going to head to perth in the next 2 months to search for work.

I've got my plumbing trade behind me with construction experience. I am now tossing up between trying to get in as a T/A or just do another apprenticeship

Where abouts should I head too in Perth...the missus and I will spend about a week there, use a few of those days searching!
druxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #1160
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Re: too much talk and not enough action, what makes you think mining companies are any different from any other large corporation?

FWIW You can get work as a plumber in mining construction. It may be a foot in the door for a more mining orientated position once you have that "mine site experience" and will pay better than TA work.
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #1161
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

too many acronyms being used in this thread.. FIFO DIDO LAHA FWIW WA SA BTW TA OJ LOL.....
I got a fair idea what they are.. but I was thinking about these guys that wouldnt have a clue as to what half of the LWOW .... Letters With Out Words... mean...
Old 26-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #1162
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Alot of doom and gloom around here (Hunter Valley) at the moment with the massive downturn in coal prices. Alot of mines are scaling back, major infastructure and plant purchases, spending etc is being put on hold indefinetly.

I know Xstrata pulled almost all of there job vacancies at all, if not most pits. A few mates were due for medicals/final assessments and were canned untill further notice last week.

Speaking to a mate today and they have cut all maintenance contractors and overtime at his pit.

Rio either have or are in the process of cutting min 30% of its workforce at Claremont in QLD. I heard whispers that Xstrata's gunnedah/mudgee mines will be scaled right back also. Our pit which is one of Rio's top performers has been told to massively cut spending so i'm assuming alot of jobs will be part of that.

Not a good outlook.
GT 160 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2012, 09:37 PM   #1163
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

Anglo American are scaling back as well.. moura at least.. big pay cuts (only to the blokes out in the battlefields) geting rid of contractors.. mind you they are all seeping back in as none of the blood brothers actually wanna to do any work.. thats what the contractors are for lol..
it has been a very sad place the past few months..
Old 27-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #1164
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Mate is at Moranbah, said the same thing. They are about to cut back big time....
Old 30-07-2012, 04:23 AM   #1165
[THOMMO]

We have had the same kind of speal over here in WA with the iron ore mines. All major projects are on hold and spending is at a minimum

Looking at data we'd been shown WA setup mines still cost less to run than some of the overseas ones and will remain afloat longer than others but its still a bit weird to think everything could go sour and everyone be without a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 160
Alot of doom and gloom around here (Hunter Valley) at the moment with the massive downturn in coal prices. Alot of mines are scaling back, major infastructure and plant purchases, spending etc is being put on hold indefinetly.

I know Xstrata pulled almost all of there job vacancies at all, if not most pits. A few mates were due for medicals/final assessments and were canned untill further notice last week.

Speaking to a mate today and they have cut all maintenance contractors and overtime at his pit.

Rio either have or are in the process of cutting min 30% of its workforce at Claremont in QLD. I heard whispers that Xstrata's gunnedah/mudgee mines will be scaled right back also. Our pit which is one of Rio's top performers has been told to massively cut spending so i'm assuming alot of jobs will be part of that.

Not a good outlook.
Old 30-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #1166
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Well I am not giving up, it maybe slowing down but its better than most industries at the moment.

Can anyone help with names or links to local papers near the mines? Ive been told this is another good way to try and find positions but most of the towns I have not heard of.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 30-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #1167
05_ENFORCER

What area are you looking at cobber?

Old 30-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #1168
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

This might sound vague but anywhere, I really dont mind, I will work anywhere that offers me a start. I have a young family but I am prepared for FIFO or relocating (actually looking forward to it).

Heck Ill move country if it means securing a position. Im interested in energy and oil & gas aswell, not limiting myself.

I had an online assessment with Segman the other day, just waiting to hear back.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 30-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #1169
05_ENFORCER

Can you speak Cantonese?

Grad Mech Eng job in HK, relocate.
Old 30-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #1170
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2