Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #1381
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 
Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernametaken View Post
Does anyone else find their inverter doesn't switch over to a new day until 10am ish?
Might depend on the model of inverter. Mines a CMS2000. I only get about 1/2 hour from when it wakes up in the morning to read the previous days output, then it resets to zero.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #1382
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've never looked to see when mine actually switches to new day......I take my readings around 6ish every night so in my eyes after that is as new day LOL!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #1383
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi guys, maybe this question has already been answered in previous pages, so don't get up me about it if it has. I am in the process of getting quotes for solar and to say it's confusing would be an understatement. What I would like to ask some of you is this:
1. What size system you have?
2. What type/brand and views of your system?
3. What approx amount was your power bill pre solar
4. How much is your bill now and how much have you saved per quarter?

Any info would be appreciated.

PREVIOUS RIDES
AU3 VENOM RED XR8, 19" SILVER ARGENTS, REBEL BODY KIT & 6/4 BREMBOS
MARS RED FG MK2 XR6 ECOLPI, SILVER ARGENT 19" RIMS & TINT
BLOOD ORANGE BA GTP, QUAD EXHAUST, SUNROOF, CHIPPED, SS CAI, 320KW
NAROOMA BLUE AU3 HERROD XR8- SS CAI, TS RIMS, 6/4 BREMBOS, TWIN SPOILER, REBEL BODY KIT & TUNED BY ELITE
VENOM GTP, HERROD EXHAUST, DVD PLAYER, WINDOW TINT, SS CAI, STEALTH
VENOM AU11 TE50, HERROD LOWERED, HEADERS AND EXHAUST
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JAJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2012, 06:50 PM   #1384
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJH View Post
Hi guys, maybe this question has already been answered in previous pages, so don't get up me about it if it has. I am in the process of getting quotes for solar and to say it's confusing would be an understatement. What I would like to ask some of you is this:

3.5 kilowatt

sma inverter and REC panels......very good

$450 per quarter and rising

no bill....roughly $850 in front and climbing everyday ....quarterly savings unknown but a definite $450

dont any of you ever be scared to ask any questions......doesn't matter if it has been answered a dozen times it will be answered again.......the only dumb question is the one not asked

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
4 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #1385
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Quote:

1. 12x190w panels (2.28kW) with 2kW inverter (inverter capable of handling 2.5kW - but will only "allow" 2kW throughput)

2. Inverter: CMS2000 - cheap, basic, failed once, replaced under warranty. Installer no longer uses these inverters. Should it fail again within the next 4 years installer will replace with another brand. Panels: ET-M572190, Monocrystalline, Chinese made. I'm very happy so far with this system (installed April '12) Many people will knock the chinese stuff - fair enough, but I'm extremely happy with the prompt after sales service from the installer. I do realise that the after sales service only lasts as long as the installer is in business.

3. Pre solar I was paying about $100 per quarter for electricty.(385kW per 1/4) I am single, living in a house. I have gas hot water and stove/oven. Gas costs me around $70 per quarter. I'm also a nazi when it comes to power, water, and gas consumption. No so when it comes to grog and smokes!

4. My last power bill for the full quarter I had solar on resulted in a credit of $465.10. So, argueably with my pre solar bill, I've saved $565.

Please bear in mind that these figures are based on a 52 cent feed in tariff - there will be a marked difference if you are considering putting solar on now. Govco has shifted the goal posts.

Forget about my figures - any form of solar power regrardless of the FIT is going to save you money! I heard on the news tonight that they're about to jack it again.

Cheers mate!

Last edited by supershifty; 06-11-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #1386
prydey
Rob

Quote:

1. 3.8kw (20 x 190w panels), 5kw inverter.

2. panels are sunowe (sunflower) and inverter is growatt. i'm another person not too bothered by the fact these are cheaper chinese products. i went with true value solar, and the whole process so far has been brilliant. install was ahead of time, all went without a hitch and communication has been reasonable. thats about as much feedback as i can give at this stage as they've only been up for a few months.

3. pre solar our bill was just north of $500 and rising. estimated usage was between 13-18kwh/day.

4. yet to receive a bill post solar, but since installing solar, i know from the readings that i am in front, but only just. i am on the bare minimum FIT here in SA (25.8c) and rates have recently risen to between 33-37c so i need to produce about 40% more than i use to make it pay for my usage. currently, with the sunnier months, its doing ok.

hope this helps.

prices of systems are dropping by the day though so even though FIT's are dropping and rates are going up, i would still recommend going as big as you can afford.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #1387
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We only got a smart meter on Thursday , yesterday at 18:00 we had used 14kw on our pool tarriff 33 and on normal tariff for rest of the house we used 86kw .Had exported 86kw to grid, this morning 06:00 meter said we had used 102kw
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #1388
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i know it`s not solar , but i thought i`d ask anyway as it`s sorta green energy, has any one got the bluegen set up and how it working for you, replies from Victorians would be grouse !
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #1389
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

too expensive for me at the moment....but very good in theory as it is a 24 hour unit

then theres something about the internal plates that need replacing every few years at great cost...I cant remember the exact details

Old 07-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #1390
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
i know it`s not solar , but i thought i`d ask anyway as it`s sorta green energy, has any one got the bluegen set up and how it working for you, replies from Victorians would be grouse !
At the moment these units are at a huge cost. As time goes on they will become cheaper.

Just like solar the price for panels and inverters were huge and only a few people invested, as time went on the price has come down and now solar is more affordable and more available.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2012, 12:48 AM   #1391
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

1. 6.2kw (24 x 260w) 5kw Sunnyboy inverter.
2. Hyundai mono panels
3. Previous,no idea new house. Previous other house 700 - 800.
4. Zero, zilch,nyada,nyet 2 credits so far 900 feb-mayish + 788 mayish to septish.
5. PM me for more details and I will give you nearmap link.
6. GoSolarpower http://www.gosolarpower.com.au/ . Info found by using this site http://www.solarquotes.com.au/index_...FeRMpgodgWUARw

Good luck
Old 08-11-2012, 12:55 AM   #1392
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On another note which has been discussed I got up on the roof and gave them a clean with one of those flat mophead type thingys. Took about 45mins and done between 9 and 10. A few clouds but not too hot producing 4.6 before clean and 4.8 after. Didn't look like it was any brighter when I had finished and I couldnt tell if panels were any cleaner, there was four I couldnt reach properly so I just hosed them. Will get a longer pole for next time. Its the first time since install in Feb they have been cleaned.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:06 AM   #1393
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok , thanks poppa and xisled, i had a look on their site today for a distributor or a showroom, either i`m looking in the wrong places(distinctly possible with my old eye`s) or they did`nt have any listed, anyway i shot them an email, will see what i can find out.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #1394
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i found this article on blue gen from about a week ago, it sounds like they have lost interest in doing installations in Australia, not enough takers due to high cost, only about 10 users at this time, one would think govco would be supporting this type of tech, it appears not.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/carbo...101-28mjg.html
Old 09-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #1395
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paule11 View Post
We only got a smart meter on Thursday , yesterday at 18:00 we had used 14kw on our pool tarriff 33 and on normal tariff for rest of the house we used 86kw .Had exported 86kw to grid, this morning 06:00 meter said we had used 102kw
Wow, three questions. How big's your pool, house and solar system?

Those are some big numbers. My pool used 2kws in a 24hr period.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #1396
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

On a side note for the past 12-18mths my power bills have consistently been around 500-600 bucks. They suggested I was using between 30-35kws per day which has always surprised me considering the power saving measures we had put in place over the last 12mths. All stdby power reduced, led downlights replacing halogens, very efficient pool pump etc etc.

Well since I've had the new digital meter installed our power usage on average has been 12kws per day and the only thing that's changed is a new digital meter and solar connection.

I'm very keen to see what my next bill comes to...

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
Old 09-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #1397
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I woud be questioning previous power readings based on those figures......something isnt right

Harvey norman is the sole agent (I think) for retailing blue gen.....a quick look on his website would be enough to put most off

on another note I heard Leon Byner interviewing a woman of substance the other day....apparently the world health organisation has put out a health warning about these "smart meters" finally acknowledging that they do indeed pose a risk to our health

Old 09-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #1398
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paule11 View Post
Paule11, seems way to high brother! Crikey.

Did you leave out a decimal point?

Cheers!

Old 09-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #1399
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i found this article on blue gen from about a week ago, it sounds like they have lost interest in doing installations in Australia, not enough takers due to high cost, only about 10 users at this time, one would think govco would be supporting this type of tech, it appears not.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/carbo...101-28mjg.html
apologies i read the user amount wrong, the statement goes...........

"The company sold 40 of its units locally last year but the number may fall to as few as 10 this year

yes poppa, i could`nt even see a mention of a blue gen on the harvey norman site.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #1400
DJR02
Blown DJR

Very happy,

I just got my power bill today, I have gone from paying those thieves $1,400.00 for 3 months..... To them owing me $150.00

Could not be happier with my system
Old 09-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #1401
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
apologies i read the user amount wrong, the statement goes...........

"The company sold 40 of its units locally last year but the number may fall to as few as 10 this year

yes poppa, i could`nt even see a mention of a blue gen on the harvey norman site.

it appears you are correct mate....all I get from my search is this ..http://www.harveynormansolar.com.au/...=/BlueGEN.html

I know it used to be there so the bluegen part of the site must be withdrawn from sale

next time I go through Clare I'll ask the feller from clewers down there, apparently he installed a few of them, wonder if he still does them

Old 09-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #1402
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR02 View Post
Very happy,

I just got my power bill today, I have gone from paying those thieves $1,400.00 for 3 months..... To them owing me $150.00

well done, gotta be happy with that!

Old 10-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #1403
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
it appears you are correct mate....all I get from my search is this ..http://www.harveynormansolar.com.au/...=/BlueGEN.html

I know it used to be there so the bluegen part of the site must be withdrawn from sale

next time I go through Clare I'll ask the feller from clewers down there, apparently he installed a few of them, wonder if he still does them
cheers mate , i`ll be interested to hear what he says.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #1404
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty View Post
Paule11, seems way to high brother! Crikey.

Did you leave out a decimal point?

Cheers!
3 airconditioners a couple of computers and kids

9 days since the digital meter apaprently its a digital meter not a smart meter
21kw for pool 163 kw from grid and 141 kw to grid
This user likes this post:
Old 10-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #1405
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Very happy,

Wow how big is your system
Old 10-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #1406
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I woud be questioning previous power readings based on those figures......something isnt right

Harvey norman is the sole agent (I think) for retailing blue gen.....a quick look on his website would be enough to put most off

on another note I heard Leon Byner interviewing a woman of substance the other day....apparently the world health organisation has put out a health warning about these "smart meters" finally acknowledging that they do indeed pose a risk to our health
It is a funny thing the smart meters. People are happy to use a mobile phone and carry it around all day, they love using a microwave and last one people love to use wifi, the radiation the smart meter gives out is the same as each of the above items.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #1407
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
It is a funny thing the smart meters. People are happy to use a mobile phone and carry it around all day, they love using a microwave and last one people love to use wifi, the radiation the smart meter gives out is the same as each of the above items.
Ah! I thought by the way they were talking the risk is significantly higher.....but if that is all it is then yet another storm in a tea cup

my phone is on my hip 18 hours a day 7 days a week and my legs haven't fallen off yet

Old 10-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #1408
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
my phone is on my hip 18 hours a day 7 days a week and my legs haven't fallen off yet

It's not your legs you should be worried about...
usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #1409
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Quote:
Very happy,

Nice to hear from you Jeff. Hope all is well with the family. I take it you have this system on your business premises, either that or the kids are out of control.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
Old 11-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #1410
DJR02
Blown DJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy View Post
Nice to hear from you Jeff. Hope all is well with the family. I take it you have this system on your business premises, either that or the kids are out of control.
Hi Matt,

How are you going, well I hope, mate with 6 people in the house and running an office it was starting to get expensive, but solar has really sorted it out.

Cheers Jeff