Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 29-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #121
Benjamin Smith

Default Re: 2011 Focus out in August.

Drove mums on Saturday and boy did i have a go or what, love the up and go it has, feels so nice to drive can't wait to get back in and have another go, rain sensing wipers nice touch too. If you ever drive the auto bang it into sports mode and just go for it you won't believe your in a mid size car.

Danny also got to drive the girlfriends Fiesta Zetec up Esk-Hampton road, so nice and sporty didn't go any slower than 80km/h and it still had more to go loved it, haven't gone that fast in the ute yet haha.
Benjamin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #122
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the update matey. Still haven't driven the diesel, but the petrol sounds perfect for me anyway.

Well I'm going with the GDi petrol engine, in Moondust Silver, Titanium spec with the Sports Executive Pack, as a hatch. Have decided to get the satellite navigation which Ford says will become available in November, but will order in the next few weeks. EXCITED!
Old 30-08-2011, 09:18 PM   #123
Pete A
Boss 260

Juat as a topic for discussion, when we bought the Fiesta, they had the German and the Thailand one in stock at the time. We chose the Genman one probably on the back of the reputed better build quality. To be honest I looked at both very carefully, you know tested how panels fit, doors closed, welding seams under the bonnet etc, and I really couldn't see any difference. There are some small conmetic differences between the two, the Thailand one has some subtle changes on the front end and the interior such as storage nets etc a few other small touches. The Ford guy which I do trust a lot said that there had been a lot of people expressing concern about the relevent build quality, but he said that while time will tell, Ford has put very stringent QC processes in place in Thailand, so they are cautionly optimistic.
Pete A is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #124
Aussie XB12SS
Buell Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete A
Just ordered Titanium for the missus.
Same here. She wanted to down size from the SV6.
This ones going to be hard for me to get used to after always having bigger cars. Lucky I have the Territory.
Went to a few dealers & they all seemed eager to sell their 1st Titanium so I think it was a good time to deal?
I always change the wheels & lower my vehicles & get told off for it so was surprised when the missus came straight & said " I need to get some decent wheels on it"?
Bloody busy dash which is fairly distracting while driving I think. Might need to try it in the sport mode after reading some of the comments here.
Harley Fat Bob
Aussie XB12SS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #125
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete A
Juat as a topic for discussion, when we bought the Fiesta, they had the German and the Thailand one in stock at the time. We chose the Genman one probably on the back of the reputed better build quality. To be honest I looked at both very carefully, you know tested how panels fit, doors closed, welding seams under the bonnet etc, and I really couldn't see any difference. There are some small conmetic differences between the two, the Thailand one has some subtle changes on the front end and the interior such as storage nets etc a few other small touches. The Ford guy which I do trust a lot said that there had been a lot of people expressing concern about the relevent build quality, but he said that while time will tell, Ford has put very stringent QC processes in place in Thailand, so they are cautionly optimistic.
Surpisingly a lot of stuff made in Thailand is very good nowadays, they are gaining a good reputation for quality from what I have read. German built on the other hand has been a little disappointing especially when the higher price tag is still attached to most of the merchandise produced there.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #126
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

XR name dropped

http://www.caradvice.com.au/136083/2...-xr-name-gone/

Quote:
2012 Ford Focus ST to keep global name in Australia, XR name gone
By Tim Beissmann | September 5th, 2011

Ford Australia has confirmed the Ford Focus ST will keep its global name when it hits local showrooms, rather than adopt an XR moniker.

Ford Australia says it is yet to confirm an on-sale date for the all-new Ford Focus ST, but says it is definitely on the way. We expect the Focus ST to land Down Under sometime in 2012.

A Ford Australia spokesman today confirmed the ST name was locked in for our market.

“There’s has been a lot of speculation about whether it will carry the ST name. We can confirm it will be called the ST when it arrives,” the spokesman said.

The second-generation Focus ST (called the Focus XR5 Turbo in Australia) is currently being sold alongside the third-generation Focus line-up. As the name suggests, it is powered by a five-cylinder turbocharged engine.

The new model, however, will be powered by a 2.0-litre four-cylinder EcoBoost engine. This means the XR5 name no longer applies, and calling it an XR4 could cause confusion with the sports variant of the old Fiesta.

The decision from Ford Australia is in line with the company’s new unified, global ‘One Ford’ ethos.

The new 2012 Ford Focus ST will produce approximately 184kW of power and 360Nm of torque – up from the current model’s 166kW/320Nm output.

The clip above gives us our first good look at (and listen to) the new Focus ST in action, as Ford director of global performance vehicles, Jost Capito, tests a prototype at Ford’s European proving grounds.

“We are determined that the new Focus ST will meet the very high expectations of our fans around the world,” Mr Capito said.

“Focus ST will deliver on the promise of great technology, exciting driving dynamics and high levels of refinement – making it as enjoyable to use for everyday driving as it will be on exciting and challenging roads we performance enthusiasts deliberately seek out.”
Old 05-09-2011, 09:47 PM   #127
blatchie

Waiting for my Sports to be delivered. Should port on25/9/11.

Test drove the Powershift and I didn't like it. Ordered the manual model.

I just want to know if Sony have a Subwoofer/amp that will plug straight into the sound system.
blatchie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 11:49 PM   #128
Preemo
Starter Motor

I've just noticed that for 10 grand less the US Focus has 8" MyTouch, and a few other gizzmo's. I wonder if the Thailand built models will be up spec'd ? The UK focus has lane warning, driver fatigue and a host of toys that we are not getting too.
Preemo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2011, 01:42 AM   #129
irs

And most of the US models still use drum brakes on the rear.
irs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2011, 03:39 PM   #130
Preemo
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by irs
And most of the US models still use drum brakes on the rear.
Quoting from the US website:
"Power front disc/rear drum (std. on S and SE) or four-wheel disc (opt. on SE, std. on SEL and Titanium) with Anti-Lock Braking System and Traction Control "
Old 11-09-2011, 08:03 AM   #131
blatchie

I don't care what others country's have. I have test driven all but the titanium and because I don't care for park assist,powershift and heated seats I picked sports. My only wish was that the 5 spoke wheels were an option. Alas they were not so I will have to keep a lookout for a set.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:28 AM   #132
Aussie XB12SS
Buell Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by blatchie
I have test driven all but the titanium and because I don't care for park assist,powershift and heated seats I picked sports. My only wish was that the 5 spoke wheels were an option. Alas they were not so I will have to keep a lookout for a set.
My wife went the Titanium because she didn't want the manual in the sports model but liked the sports wheels.
Picking ours up tomorrow & wheels are coming off on Saturday.
Harley Fat Bob
Old 12-09-2011, 09:37 PM   #133
blatchie

Oh well mine wont be here till late Sept & you will have sold them by then. Mine will not be delivered until Oct. Cant wait
Old 13-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #134
Aussie XB12SS
Buell Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by blatchie
Oh well mine wont be here till late Sept & you will have sold them by then.
Make me an offer for the wheels if you like, don't be shy. They'll be sitting in the shed all boxed up & ready to go.

Picked ours up yesty & gotta say I pleasantly surprised. Once I got used to a little less room & power after the SV6 it was quite nice to drive.
Comfortable & although a little road noise on the highway not as bad as the Commodore.
Still think there is a little bit much going on with all the buttons & dials but the wife likes it.
Harley Fat Bob
Old 13-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #135
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/524...timing-unclear

http://www.caradvice.com.au/137517/2...rt-motor-show/

Interesting to see the wagon variant is going to be available in the ST. Reminds me of the XR5 Mondeo a bit.

Going to be a shame not having the 5 cylinder though :(

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2011, 06:50 PM   #136
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is it likely the ST version of the ecoboost will be the eco engine to power the local falcon when it goes to 4 cylinders?
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #137
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhcbm
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/524...timing-unclear

http://www.caradvice.com.au/137517/2...rt-motor-show/

Interesting to see the wagon variant is going to be available in the ST. Reminds me of the XR5 Mondeo a bit.

Going to be a shame not having the 5 cylinder though :(
That in itself is enough for me not to upgrade, the willingness of the I5T and unique offbeat noise it makes. Also the looks of the new car. The only thing to win me over is the seats.
Yeah it might have more power but a tune on the I5T will fix that
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2011, 11:33 AM   #138
AU3XSR
First time Falconless

After much persuading and a little arm twisting of my parents my mum has finally put a deposit down on a frozen white Titanium diesel hatch with the sports pack, window tint, premium mats, boot scuff guard, chrome mirror scalps etc. Total cost, under $40k drive away - she's stoked and my old man is happy that he can fianlly get his FG back off her. Delivery is expected end of November.

Previous:-
2012 Fiesta Metal | 2001 AU2 XR6 | 1994 EF Fairmont | 2010 FG XR50 Ute | 2006 BF Typhoon | 2002 AU3 SR
AU3XSR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2011, 09:17 PM   #139
Nolz

End of Nov? And I thought I had it bad having to wait 5 weeks for my Diesel Sport to arrive!
Nolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2011, 09:41 PM   #140
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

First review.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/138534/ford-focus-review-2/

Quote:
Ford Focus Review
By Paul Maric | September 20th, 2011

Ford Focus Titanium TDCi Hatch: $36,090 ($38,390 as tested) manufacturer’s list price.

I never thought the car that would take me by surprise this year would be a car nestled in the small car category. Especially a car that has traditionally been very conservative (unless it had a certain five-cylinder turbocharged engine planted under the bonnet) and pedestrian in the way it drove and the way it looked.

Enter stage left the Ford Focus Mk3. Featuring a radical concept car design and features not uncommon to cars five times its price, the new Ford Focus is seriously hot property.

I spent three weeks testing the Focus range (Hatch, Sedan, diesel and petrol), but will focus (pardon the pun) on the car I thought shone the brightest – the Focus Titanium Hatch with the diesel engine.

If the Focus’s new design wasn’t enough to make it stand out in traffic, the test vehicle was Mustard Olive coloured, which is French for off yellow (not really). While the colour wasn’t exactly to my liking, I persevered.

The radical front end features a gaping mouth with neatly finished headlights and bonnet. The Titanium is further accentuated when fitted with the optional ($2300) Sports Executive Package, which comes with LED Daytime Running Lights (DRLs), Bi-xenon HID headlamps, four-way power driver’s seat and adaptive cruise control.

One of the coolest external design elements has to be the integrated fuel filler door. The door looks like a panel crease underneath the tail light and doesn’t stand out unnecessarily like a conventional circular or rectangular filler cap.

At the rear of the Focus, an integrated spoiler on the hatch gives the car a sporty look, without going over the top. The theme is followed with curvaceous taillights and sharp angles on the boot.

Great looking 18-inch alloy wheels finish off the Titanium’s sport stance. The only downside to the big wheels is a massive turning circle. Ford says it’s 11m, but I’m certain the Titanium’s turning circle is larger. I found myself continuously having to perform three-point turns in locations I could normally easily get away with a quick u-turn.

The Ford Focus range has been launched in Australia with four variants, three engines, two transmissions and two body styles. Starting off the Focus range is the Ambiente Hatch, which comes with a five-speed manual transmission, a 1.6-litre four-cylinder petrol engine (96kW and 159Nm of torque) and is priced from $21,990.

The Ambiente sedan is available for an additional $2300, but is only available with a PowerShift six-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission.

The next model is the Focus Trend Hatch, which comes with either a 2.0-litre four-cylinder petrol engine (125kW and 202Nm with direct injection) or a 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbocharged diesel engine (120kW and 340Nm of torque). Priced from $24,490 with a five-speed manual gearbox, the PowerShift six-speed automatic costs an additional $2300. Diesel is an additional $3710, with both the diesel and sedan variants only available with the PowerShift six-speed automatic gearbox.

Next cab off the rank is the Focus Sport, which is available in Hatch and Sedan. The Sport is also available with the 2.0-litre petrol and 2.0-litre diesel engines. Pricing starts at $27,390 for the Sport Hatch with the five-speed manual gearbox, the PowerShift six-speed automatic costs an additional $2300. Diesel is an additional $3710, with both the diesel and sedan variants only available with the PowerShift six-speed automatic gearbox.

Finally, the Titanium is at the top of the tree and is available with the 2.0-litre petrol engine and 2.0-litre diesel engine. The Titanium is only available with the PowerShift six-speed automatic gearbox and starts from $32,590 with the 2.0-litre petrol engine. The 2.0-litre diesel is an additional $3500, making the Focus Titanium Hatch tested $38,390 (with the $2300 Sports Executive Pack).

Once you unlock the driver’s door using the proximity sensing key, prepare to be amazed. A sophisticated layout with an encapsulated driver’s segment sets the mood, while partial leather seats and a comfy leather-wrapped steering wheel take care of the rest.

A high-resolution LCD screen mounted in the centre of the instrument cluster displays vital trip computer information that is navigated using the steering wheel controls. Also included in the cluster is an eco computer that rates your driving style and fuel consumption. It’s a fun gadget that Ford has employed to help reduce fuel consumption.

If I had to be critical about something, it would be the number of buttons scattered all over the car. These range from 20 buttons on the steering wheel to 52 buttons on the centre console. It takes a great deal of time to master all of the buttons and remember where each button is and exactly what it does. Another strange trait is the location of the starter button in proximity key equipped vehicles. It’s hidden away from view behind the steering wheel and is likely to catch out new drivers

Luckily, the driver is able to manage most things from the steering wheel and doesn’t need to spend much time away from watching the road. The Focus was awarded a five star ANCAP safety rating, following testing in June, 2011.

Front legroom and headroom is very good and visibility out the front and rear is great. Rear legroom is limited, but on par with the competition. Cargo capacity in hatch variants is 316 litres (or 277 litres with 16-inch spare tyre), while the sedan offers 421 litres of cargo volume.

Tech buffs will be impressed with the level of connectivity on offer. There’s USB input, MP3 CD player compatibility, auxiliary input and Bluetooth connectivity (both for telephone calls and audio streaming) standard across the range. The Sport and Titanium also get a six-stack CD player with a nine-speaker Sony sound system that offers plenty of punch for such a small car.

Without doubt, one of the handiest features on the Titanium is the semi-automatic Active Parking. The system essentially takes advantage of the car’s electric steering system to virtually park itself. All the driver has to do is locate a park and hit a button on the dashboard to activate the sensors as they approach. The car will then measure the spot and alert the driver if it’s big enough to fit the car.

From there, the driver selects reverse and the car does the rest. The driver maintains braking while the car slips into the spot. I was amazed at the system’s level of accuracy, ease of use and the size of spots it could fit into. It’s systems like this that would make my partner’s driving just that little bit better.

As part of the Sports Executive Pack, the test vehicle also came with Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC). The cruise control system is able to keep a set distance between your car and the car in front. It’s an effective system for long drives and copes well with both light and heavy traffic. Vehicles with ACC also come with advanced driver warnings that allow the car to pre-warn the driver if the car in front suddenly brakes and there is still time to avoid an impact.

For $2300, this option package is certainly worth the added coin.

Behind the wheel, the new 2.0-litre four-cylinder turbo diesel engine really shines. With Ford’s six-speed PowerShift transmission, the Focus has a mountain of torque to play with, giving it the ability to perform lightning-fast overtake manoeuvres and zip in and out of city traffic.

Weighing in at just over 1500kg, the torque-laden diesel engine has the advantage of zippiness, along with frugal fuel consumption. The official combined fuel consumption figure of 5.5L/100km was easily achieved on test and is a testament to just how far the small car segment has come in recent years.

Steering feel from the electric steering system is exceptional. All aspects of the road are communicated to the driver, with adequate weight available during sporty driving.

The ride over bumpy roads is a bit jarring, courtesy of the Titanium’s sports suspension tune. It’s not overly intrusive, but becomes a little tiresome on low-quality back roads. The upshot of the firm suspension is next to no body roll during cornering. Grip is helped by exceptional Michelin Pilot Sport tyres that work in harmony with the Focus Titanium’s chassis.

It’s hard to criticise the package on offer from Ford. The new Focus really is light-years ahead of the outgoing Mk2 and shows how far small cars have come in recent years.

If it was my money, I would be buying a Ford Focus Titanium TDCi Hatch with the Sports Executive Pack. But, if the budget doesn’t stretch enough, the Focus Sport Hatch with the 2.0-litre four-cylinder direct injection engine and five-speed manual gearbox offers a riveting drive and a modest price tag.

Either way you split it, the new Ford Focus offers a new benchmark in this segment and should most certainly be included on your test drive list if you are in the market for a small car.
Old 21-09-2011, 07:28 AM   #141
Aussie XB12SS
Buell Man

Gotta agree with most everything he say's about the Titanium.
He is spot on about the turning circle.
For a small car the turning circle is very ordinary - actually disappointing.
Harley Fat Bob
Old 21-09-2011, 08:29 AM   #142
Rodge
Banned

Amazing that you can have adaptive cruise control and xenon healights together for only $2,300 and they're available on a vehicle of this relativly moderate cost. Direct injected petrol engine is good for combined ADR efficiency of only 6.6 litres per 100 km's, (not shown in the the article).

Looks like the car to beat in its segment.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 09:13 AM   #143
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie XB12SS
Gotta agree with most everything he say's about the Titanium.
He is spot on about the turning circle.
For a small car the turning circle is very ordinary - actually disappointing.
Looks like the turning circle hasnt changed since the LV as my old TE50 had a better turning circle then my XR5.
Seriously though turning circle isnt that much of a drama is it surely?
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 21-09-2011, 09:38 AM   #144
Aussie XB12SS
Buell Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
I guess not seeing as I used to drive a Triton 4x4 so I know how to do a three point turn.

It is a nice car & I like most everything about it but even my wife commented about it the first couple of times she drove it. I would think my Territory has a better turning circle.
Harley Fat Bob

Last edited by Aussie XB12SS; 21-09-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Old 21-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #145
Preemo
Starter Motor

Quote:
Looks like the turning circle hasnt changed since the LV as my old TE50 had a better turning circle then my XR5.
For inner city carparks its a deal breaker
Old 21-09-2011, 09:55 AM   #146
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preemo
For inner city carparks its a deal breaker
Yeah i guess your right, if it were me it wouldnt be though but thats just me.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 21-09-2011, 10:32 AM   #147
ConradP

Quote:
The xr5 has a larger turning circle than the normal focus.

But really if you're put off a car because it has a slightly larger turning circle than another car of it's class you're just being too picky and looking for something to hate on, when in reality it's an amazing car!
Old 21-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #148
Aussie XB12SS
Buell Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradP
But really if you're put off a car because it has a slightly larger turning circle than another car of it's class you're just being too picky and looking for something to hate on, when in reality it's an amazing car!

As the fella in the review say's "The only downside to the big wheels is a massive turning circle" nothing about hating the car.
Harley Fat Bob

Last edited by Aussie XB12SS; 21-09-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 21-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #149
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't believe people care, let alone complain, let alone call it a deal broker about turning circle!!! FFS!!

I drive a big Falcon in tight in city car parks with no problem.. People need to learn how to drive if they think it is a problem!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #150
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wait until they realise the indicator stalk is on the LHS.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post