Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #1531
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

just got my account from Lumo........it shows a $616.67 credit......including a very rude $88 supply charge if you don't mind for 88 days ( dollar a day??) the buggers keep moving the goal post, sign a contract for one charge and they change it with little or no notification

how can it be a "contract" if they can change it at will

whilst I am happy that i got this credit it does not add up with my calculations!

by my figures I should have been pushing the $1,000 mark by now....so I have some "number crunching" and an irate phone call to make where there will be many threats and much gnashing of teeth.....well I shall voice my grievance in the strongest of whimpy terminology anyway

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2012, 01:26 PM   #1532
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey Pop,

The first thing to do it check their reading of your meter(s) against your readings on the same day.

Lumo's policy is that will allow you to drop the contract for a cheaper one, as long as you give them the option of meeting it first.

Do a little "finger" work on the phone, and you may get them cheaper.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #1533
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well the thing is I negotiated a pretty good deal about 4 - 6 months ago, Lumo then immediately, well within a month, changed the tariffs.....given it was a "contract" that I agreed to I fail to see how they can then turn around, break the contract, with ink still wet, and change it

I checked with other suppliers and found cheaper winter tariffs (saving) but dearer summer tariffs (loss).....it averaged out that I was better off with Lumo

this was around the time all energy suppliers hitched up the prices

these different tariffs (anytime step 1 and anytime step 2 confuses the crap out of me)

the account does not show a day to day reading and Lumo cannot get a daily reading as the meter is read quarterly

when i get time I will study the figures a bit more then give them a ring, I have a total of my figures that differ from theirs so I'll see how I go

but as yet our monetary figures differ quite a bit in their favour

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 14-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #1534
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
just got my account from Lumo........it shows a $616.67 credit......including a very rude $88 supply charge if you don't mind for 88 days ( dollar a day??) the buggers keep moving the goal post, sign a contract for one charge and they change it with little or no notification

how can it be a "contract" if they can change it at will

whilst I am happy that i got this credit it does not add up with my calculations!

by my figures I should have been pushing the $1,000 mark by now....so I have some "number crunching" and an irate phone call to make where there will be many threats and much gnashing of teeth.....well I shall voice my grievance in the strongest of whimpy terminology anyway
With the contract thing. It will say that they can alter the rate. All retailers have a similar thing. Unless you get a rate freeze plan. But the thing about the rate freeze, once the time is up, you rate jumps up to the market rate and you get a massive price increase.

One thing that I say to people when speaking to the energy retailer. There is not point yelling at the customer service team, as they cannot change your bill. The billing department is the team that will look at your bill. Most retailers you will not be able to speak to the billing team.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #1535
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I never yell nor lose my temper....totally fruitless .....I gather all relevant info and hit them with figures

if they cannot answer me truthfully, honestly and correctly then they have lost my business

This user likes this post:
Old 14-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #1536
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf View Post
I never yell nor lose my temper....totally fruitless .....I gather all relevant info and hit them with figures

if they cannot answer me truthfully, honestly and correctly then they have lost my business
The problem with energy retailers is the person your speaking to in customer service has nothing to do with the billing side. Once you get off the phone it gets sent to another department to investigate the invoice. Most customer service people have very limited knowledge of the billing side of things.

Even if people request to speak with a team leader, it still does not get you very far as most team leader knows less than the customer service rep.

If you got a customer service rep that did billing it would be good, but in saying that customer service is a step backwards for a person who does billing.

I came across this every day. Customer service saying 1 thing, because that is what they are told to say, but when it gets to my area, what they have told the customer is incorrect.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #1537
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep I find the first person is not in a position to do much but when I start talking solar, price, tariffs shifting suppliers and so forth I am quickly shunted to folks with a bit more power

I find Lumo, or come to that, all energy companies that I yak to are pretty good.....sometimes can be hard to hear or understand them because of language or their headset microphone position or simply my hearing

Old 14-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #1538
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Can somebody point me in the direction of what the readings on the metre are and mean. I have an Atlas Mk10a, which flashed between 2 settings, 1 and 40. They read 1 - 140 and 40 - 210. I have been told theres some arrows on the display that indicate whether I am exporting or now but I cant seem to see them. Cheers
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #1539
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

one should be the "export"......solar production going to grid

and the other should be "import" power coming from grid

which is which I don't know

I did a bit of research and found this...... http://www.wpdsmartmetering.co.uk/ge...city-V1-0.aspx

should help you a little I hope

Old 14-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #1540
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

System installed on the 26th of September meter on the 2nd of November got a bill for $88 this week normnally would have been about $700. We have had our roof painted as well so that would reduce air conditioning costs
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #1541
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Thanks poppa, just found this as well

The Work Truck

Old 14-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #1542
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

So my calculations are the we have used 140wh at 25c from our supplier and sold 210kwh at 50c. So we are $70 ahead after 10days of solar. Does that sound right? Happy with that considering we have had 2 rainy days in that.
The Work Truck

Old 14-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #1543
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well without having all figures at hand I would say it sounds about right

I found the one you showed as well but thought it may confuse a little......I was looking for an operational manual

I reckon it could be found with a little more research, it appears there is more than one screen which can be accessed by holding the button in for greater than a 3 second time period, this brings up various options

good result paule11....well done

Old 14-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #1544
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx View Post
at 25c from our supplier
hmmm, here in sa, the min charge is almost 10c up on that. i'm sure they would argue 'supply v demand' or something like that but it doesn't seem right.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #1545
stevejg33
Classic not Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx View Post
So my calculations are the we have used 140wh at 25c from our supplier and sold 210kwh at 50c. So we are $70 ahead after 10days of solar. Does that sound right? Happy with that considering we have had 2 rainy days in that.

25 cents per kilowatt hour, I wish. In S.A. we are paying around 35 cents
stevejg33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #1546
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Momentum energy here in Vic, 26.55 cents per kwh peak gst inc, 13.27 off peak, and 78.36 cents charge per day all fixed for12 months.
ute83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #1547
stevejg33
Classic not Plastic

In S.A. we are so lucky, (sarcasm) we get summer peak usage between 1st Jan to 31 March, which means our 35 cents / kwh goes up to around 40 cents / kwh
stevejg33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #1548
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejg33 View Post
In S.A. we are so lucky, (sarcasm) we get summer peak usage between 1st Jan to 31 March, which means our 35 cents / kwh goes up to around 40 cents / kwh

with a swing of that size I think it is time to compare retailers......Lumo (for one) dont charge a higher rate for summer........I'm paying $0.32c per kilowatt year round

here is one site simply for comparison........ http://www.switchwise.com.au

never feel you have to stay with one supplier, be prepared to walk

talk to your supplier for a better deal

Last edited by poppa smurf; 16-12-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 20-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #1549
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

after tangling with my "water broom" thingy and straining to get the last foot or so of my panels from the last step of my ladder I found out the bloody thing EXTENDS

I was in my own little world, washing the panels..... when she who must be the possessor of all things shiny and expensive took it from me while I was getting off the ladder

she said "thats a good one"

I said it would be far better if it went out another foot or so

she said ......"like this you mean".......she gave the handle a twist and extracted another 4 foot

I just stared blankly and said ......"yes dear, ....exactly like that!"

talk about things that make you go HMMmmmm!.......all that straining and struggling......I just hung my head

6 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #1550
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

You have to know when to be humble and accept defeat...
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #1551
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

humble was not really amongst my thoughts.......the words that jumped to mind would have earned me a very quick and smart clip round the lug holes

however I cooked her tea last night, roast beef with all the trimmings.....all cooked in the Cobb......bewdifull!

2 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #1552
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

we just got our first bill since the solar went on

the previous bill was $392
this one was $79 - including a $44 fee for meter alterations

for the first 51 days, we were charged $254.54 - no solar at this point
for the last 43 days, we were $218.07 in credit
from my basic guess, for a full billing period we would have been around $450 in credit, which seems to be approximately an $850 turn around . . . although that seems too good to be true

from owing $400
to being owed $450

and our panels have not been cleaned yet, and we still have a neighbour's tree casting a shadow on our panels at present, so maybe it will get better soon
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #1553
prydey
Rob

thats very good. what size system did you go with again?

41 degrees here in adelaide today, and with scattered clouds, and mine has generated over 20kwh so far. i expected it to be quite a bit lower given the heat, although there is a bit of a breeze as well.
Old 23-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #1554
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well done......damn fine result!

Old 23-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #1555
gtxb67

thanx guys - it seems too good to be true
it is only a 3kw system, but either way, it is great so far
Old 23-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #1556
prydey
Rob

3kw! your usage must be very low!
Old 23-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #1557
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
3kw! your usage must be very low!
we averaged around 10kw a day and now it is 6 (that we pay for anyway)
i used to think we used a lot until i asked some friends and saw some posts on here
Old 28-12-2012, 10:32 AM   #1558
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

got my xmas present from agl yesterday my first credit $124.87. love it when a plan comes together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 28-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #1559
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep!.....I agree....well done.....I'm consistently between $5 and $6 per day in front after all usage is paid for

cleaned my panels yesterday morning, produced 23.5kilowatts in the 24 hours from 6pm wednesday to 6pm yesterday

before that i was producing around the 21Kw mark consistently ....so either we had a perfect production day or the panels were extra filthy......weather has been similar although warming up slightly over the past week

but I'm happy that the system is working right for you.......time to look forward to your electricity account from now on

Old 28-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #1560
Rastus
XY,XC,XEx2,XA,EF,AU,BA,XY

I'm still waiting on my first bill. Solar was put on in June, but the new smart meter was installed mid August, so we had a small bill from the final reading of the old meter.
I would've thought I'd get my next bill 3 months (quarter) later as a result. (Late November.). Or could it be that when you're in credit there's no hurry...but when you owe them it's in the mail straight away. ;-)
[Vic Powercor/Red Energy]