Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #211
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Toyota 86 price $29,990!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceValk85
i know some BA xr8 auto owners who couldnt crack 15.5 on a 1/4 mile first hand....

so a 2l 4 pot that pulls 15.7 quaters is rubbish? wake up.

the AE86 was never fast in a straight line, nor were the celicas, nor is the mx5 nor is the rx8, but they are all excellent cars in their own right.

Ice
That's the point right there...unfortunately because of a few numbers on a page and a pre-concieved idea of what cars like this must be like, many people will refuse to even try one, or if they do they will only concentrate on quarter mile times and 0 - 100 numbers, forgetting that there is a whole slew of cars for which this just doesn't matter. There is such a thing as the experience as a whole that matters, not being blinded by POWER!!!

Coincidentally, I'm sitting typing this as a TV special on the old TVRs is on...they had motors like Ford 10 sidevalves and other equally "pitiful" engines like MGB motors and ford Kent engines...but jeez did they handle. "Not powerful but exciting", seemed to be the consensus.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #212
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hate this car and I wont give up until I convince everyone else to hate it too. LOL

Not really. I cant wait to see one in the flesh. Good bit of kit for your money.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:55 PM   #213
HLC
Audi S3

If i can squeeze my track bike in the back, i'll be looking at one of these when the time comes for sure... gotta be cheaper to run and insure than some of the other kit i've been looking at!
Old 06-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #214
RASER
Banned

Bout time BigT [tm.f/0] flexed some muscle, this is to spank the koreans more than anybody/thing else

It's very good value for a sports coupe, and really going to make all the other Jappers [theyWILL follow/copy] to match or get near the price.

It's not a racing/drag machine, and most of its life, 99.94%, it will be used to cruise the street like every other vehicle on the road.

I would have been interterested but its too small in the back seat

Well done again BigT, you have a winner and a L O N G waiting list to fill orders, one day Ford will read the market like this...
Old 06-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #215
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Just like classic cars, some people just dont get it.
Well have fun powering out of a corner with 205nm of torque.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #216
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline

Here is an interesting video, the S2000 beats the BRZ as you would expect (given their power outputs) but the margin shows just how slow the BRZ really is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9_hZqvY5RM
Vtec just kicked in yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER
Bout time BigT [tm.f/0] flexed some muscle, this is to spank the koreans more than anybody/thing else

It's very good value for a sports coupe, and really going to make all the other Jappers [theyWILL follow/copy] to match or get near the price.

It's not a racing/drag machine, and most of its life, 99.94%, it will be used to cruise the street like every other vehicle on the road.

I would have been interterested but its too small in the back seat

Well done again BigT, you have a winner and a L O N G waiting list to fill orders, one day Ford will read the market like this...
Ford have been rumoured to be working on a new Capri, they even did a concept a few years ago. Problem is it will be on the Focus chassis, which although it handles well it won't be RWD.

Maybe they can take a leaf out of Toyotas book and make it RWD, like they took the Impreza and made it RWD.

But at least Ford would know to put a good engine in it, not a useless lump like Toyota did. Would be sweet with a 2 litre Ecoboost.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #217
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Powering isn't the word I'd use.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #218
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

The thing that tells you the most about this car is the tyres they fit to it - they are deliberately not the most sticky available, so that the limit of grip is more accessible on the road. And the second thing is it has enough boot space to fit a set of track tyres... How good is that? (from a day to day point of view it will be practical)

Power, well as mentioned you can't go fast on the road, so the slow-car-driven-fast theory kicks in. Too much power and after a couple of seconds of throttle down and you've left the speed limit a long way behind. Looking at the power & torque curves there is also 200Nm at the 3000rpm mark, so it is not purely a top-end machine.

Surely people are aware of the Austin-Healey Sprite and MG Midget, or even the Lotus Elan?

As to the thread title - excellent price, particularly compared to an MX5 starting at >$10k more. Also when the MX5, CRX & MR2 were $30k back in 1989! I'd take the GT version, none of the extras in the GTS interest me and I regard the 16" rims as better on the road, a bit more sidewall will deal with potholes etc better and make the limit of grip a bit more progressive.

The 86 seems a good compromise between the MX5 and Honda S2000, and it's a coupe which is a plus to me. Finally, none of this means that a supercharged version wouldn't be fun also!

Last edited by outback_ute; 06-06-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #219
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute

Surely people are aware of the Austin-Healey Sprite and MG Midget, or even the Lotus Elan?
Some are..seems alot of Ford bogans are not.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 06-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #220
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
The thing that tells you the most about this car is the tyres they fit to it - they are deliberately not the most sticky available, so that the limit of grip is more accessible on the road. And the second thing is it has enough boot space to fit a set of track tyres... How good is that?

Power, well as mentioned you can't go fast on the road, so the slow-car-driven-fast theory kicks in. Too much power and after a couple of seconds of throttle down and you've left the speed limit a long way behind. Looking at the power & torque curves there is also 200Nm at the 3000rpm mark, so it is not purely a top-end machine.

As to the thread title - excellent price. The MX5, CRX & MR2 were $30k back in 1989! I'd take the GT version, none of the extras in the GTS interest me and I regard the 16" rims as better on the road, a bit more sidewall will deal with potholes etc better and make the limit of grip a bit more progressive.

The 86 seems a good compromise between the MX5 and Honda S2000, and it's a coupe which is a plus to me. Finally, none of this means that a supercharged version wouldn't be fun also!
Had a visitor today. A Toyota salesman turned up to the salt mine with a brochure and very positive attitude. He did not have the 86 yet but my partner's and my test drives are booked in for whenever we like.
He gave us a trade in price on the Subaru, all the pricing including servicing and options and spent maybe 15 minutes on non pressure time talking about the car.

I was pleasantly surprised and impressed by this effort. I have NEVER had this happen before.

I suspect there will be a red one with a sun roof lurking in the carpark in the not so distant future.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #221
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

You know, BMW had the 130i in 2005, which is about the same size as a Focus, but its RWD and had a 3L Inline 6 in it, came in auto/6sp manual but it didn't sell much and they withdrew it after 2 or 3 years.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #222
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

So..interesting Specs... Since people seem fit on comparing the numbers between a dedicated rwd sports car with a family sedan-come-sports sedan.

Toyota 86:

-100nm per liter.
-168nm per tonne

-73.5kw per liter
-122kw per tonne

XR6 turbo

-133nm per liter.
-313nm per tonne

-67kw per liter
-158kw per tonne

XR6

-97nm per liter
-230nm per tonne

-48kw per liter
-114kw per tonne

So, the basic facts are, yes, the FG has more torque. But id doesn't take a Einstein IQ to work that out, a turbo on a big engine is obviously going to make mountains move.

But, anyone who is claiming that the engine is gutless...look at the per liter numbers.

The XR6T only has 33nm more....

So, imagine when a TRD supercharged verison hits the black top...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 06-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #223
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfoam
Man, this thing is going to make buying the new Fiesta ST at the same price a very difficult decision
No it's not. The Fez will be much quicker. Off the mark. On the roll. Through the corners. Around a track. Oh, and for at least $2K less. And considering it's turboed from factory power increases will be far simpler and cheaper: to turbo the Toyota (properly: no backyard jobs) will cost at least $8K, making the $ difference between the two even greater. It's a no contest in this regard.

And if you must have rear drive two door for the "purity" factor, a top condition S15 will hose the newbie for less than half the price...
Old 06-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #224
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
You know, BMW had the 130i in 2005, which is about the same size as a Focus, but its RWD and had a 3L Inline 6 in it, came in auto/6sp manual but it didn't sell much and they withdrew it after 2 or 3 years.
Yes, but you can buy 2 of these Toyotas, and have a few $k left over for the cost of one 130i new in '05.

Nice car, Will be looking at one for the wife.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #225
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx
Will be looking at one for the wife.
For the wife, you say? Think that says enough about the car.

She's not a hairdresser by any chance? Lol
Old 06-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #226
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 06-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #227
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Here!! Facts and figures that fail to make this car look like an underpowered slug that no one will want to own have no place here...

I think that little graph will open a few eyes...you don't hear people calling the lotus elise, VW Golf GTi, or MX5 boring underpowered hairdressers cars...
Old 06-06-2012, 08:14 PM   #228
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
For the wife, you say? Think that says enough about the car.

She's not a hairdresser by any chance? Lol
LOL coming from a Fiesta driver I could ask you the same question!
Old 06-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #229
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:

Zing!

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 06-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #230
LukeyST
ST fan

Quote:
Honda's with similar torque, power, weight have been doing it for years, whats the problem?

If you can keep some revs on board going through a corner, torque means very little compared to the peek power figure. Just don't expect to pull out of the corner at 3000rpm.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #231
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Graphs don't translate directly to the tarmac: for example the BRZ laps the Bedford Autodrome track in 1.33.5 mins, while the Golf GTI is over a second faster (the BRZ is one of the slowest cars ever to go round the EVO test track, btw). But it's experienced tester John Barkers comments of "it's not agile on track and not much fun either" that is really concerning. If shedloads of experienced motoring journalists (European, not poxy Wheels staffers) have expressed their disappointment in the car and lament it's lack of power, then hey.... they can't all be wrong...
Old 06-06-2012, 08:27 PM   #232
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Touché. But that said I'm not pretending the Fiesta is a sports car.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:29 PM   #233
Menco
Starter Motor

Quote:
Lol beat me to it.

I would love one of these, damn such a tough decision to go for one now or wait and see if they do offer a super/turbo charger version one day.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #234
nstg8a

i love how some are almost 'scorning' the importance of rwd in this, but mention a fwd falcon and omg the sky is falling..
Old 06-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #235
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Except Fiesta's arent put forwards as sports cars.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #236
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

comparing it to a falcon... because they are definitely in the same category. Seems a lot of people have driven one already and seem well educated on a car that isnt on sale yet.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #237
Menco
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
But it's experienced tester John Barkers comments of "it's not agile on track and not much fun either" that is really concerning. If shedloads of experienced motoring journalists (European, not poxy Wheels staffers) have expressed their disappointment in the car and lament it's lack of power, then hey.... they can't all be wrong...
They weren't even testing the finished product and it wouldn't hurt to put a better set of tires on to improve lap times.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:42 PM   #238
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

i love how some are almost 'scorning' the importance of rwd in this, but mention a fwd falcon and omg the sky is falling.

Aaaaaarghh, Front wheel drive Falcon...
Old 06-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #239
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Some are..seems alot of Ford bogans are not.
My Sunday car for several years was a Bugeye... I started a little earlier than most, I think I got it when I was 23 lol...

Like the 86, it was 'ok' in standard form. With the 948cc 54?? HP it did its job well for what it was.

Mine had a FG bonnet, worked 1330CC Cooper S mill @90HP, uprated and lowered springs / shocks and uprated wheels / brakes and tyres...

A little tinkering and it transformed it into an absolute weapon....

IMO the 86 is much the same. Fine as a base sports car, but tinker a little and you have the foundation for an absolute weapon...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 06-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #240
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Experienced motoring journalists"...I usually find what they say entertaining, but it is blatantly noticeable sometimes that they have spent too much time behind the wheels of exotica, and don't seem to remember what a "normal car" is supposed to be like.

Basically, if you spent your weeks driving Ferraris, Lambos, high end FPV and HSV cars as well as a sprinkling of Porsches and others, then when you are asked to come down to the real world level and drive a car that has merely adequate instead of outstanding power levels, you will naturally be disappointed...
Closed Thread