Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-01-2020, 10:17 PM   #31
dan75
Starter Motor

Default Re: Steering Rack Replacement Questions

hi guys,
I've got an old 2002 RWD ford falcon AU 6cyl auto.

I'm getting a little clunk from the front end on steering. I've read some post about the uni joint in the steering column can be faulty and possibly that the steering rack bolt on the cross member can break.

I'm hearing a small tick when I rotate by hand the steering column near the bell housing and I admit I'm not sure if it's comming from the rack or the uni joint. Also I'm noticing about 5mm travel of the rack when moving the steering column.ie rack is moving when all 4 wheels on the ground

How much travel is normal for the rack? I haven't tightened the rack bolts yet(80nm) and the rack mounting and rubbers look OK. I know they can be decieving.

I willing to get a wheel alignment but, if I need to replace uni joints and possibly rack mountings, I'll do the alignment last.

thanks in advance
dan75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2020, 01:47 PM   #32
dan75
Starter Motor

hi Guys,
found the problem, checked the tension on the drivers side cross member bolt , which was loose. Looks like the bolt snapped close to the cross member and needs to be replaced. I can only gather some monkey swung off it last during a wheel alignment or someone hit the gutter hard when driving it.

I've seen a few posts here on loose cross member steering rack bolts for AUI's that were welded by FORD in the past. Has anyone had to replace the bolt on an AUIII and is it a easy job?
The cross member bolt I can't see a head on it to fit a socket at the front of the cross member - so I'm gathering it'll be a devil of a job.

Getting the rack out of the way - seems to be the easy part/job now.

cheers in advance.
Old 30-01-2020, 01:31 PM   #33
dan75
Starter Motor

hi all,

found my problem. In the poor light when I first looked at it, the stud wasn't broken but was loose. There was a tac weld on the bolt - it mustve either worked loose or never really held in place
Fixed it with some high strength loctite.
cheers
Old 11-05-2022, 10:41 PM   #34
Shaun Newman
Starter Motor

Angry Re: Steering Rack Replacement Questions

Do people think a fair price for a new steering rack and a bull bar is $8500 and a wait of 3 months?
Shaun Newman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post