Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 10-05-2014, 03:34 PM   #91
jab_au
Starter Motor

Default Re: What problems have you had with your Mondeo?

2010 MC TDCI
-People keep scrapping me in carparks, don't know if it's a bad luck car or people are bad parkers these days
-sensor (think it's an oxegen sensor) managed to losen itself from the exhaust pipe at rear of engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draadnor View Post
2011 MC TDCI (90,000klms)
- Intermittantly running rough after coming to a stop from a highway run, with the 'gauge' jumping from about 1.1 L/H to 2.6 L/H. Ford suggested this is the system 'burning off' residues in some box in the exhaust system (I'm guessing it is similar to the catalytic converters in petrol engine cars).
I've had this same issue, noticed it more with BP Diesel.
jab_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #92
sande94
Starter Motor

Just coming up to 30000km and the crankshaft seal needs replacing. Still waiting for the call back when the parts arrive but the outside temp sensor replaced @ 14000km took 12 weeks! Driver's side curtain airbag rattle right at ear level is annoying. A couple of attempts at fixing have resulted in it being no better. Rear side panel (passenger side) keeps popping out. Ford blaming the towbar installation that they did for the problem. Other than that it's great!
sande94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #93
mas89

I have just had the big resonator removed from my ecoboost ( all ready had sports put on the rear).with a new set of rubber ..the problem is it sounds so so so much better I just want to keep driving.which means more fuel used.

Last edited by mas89; 17-05-2014 at 12:08 PM.
mas89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2014, 11:51 PM   #94
Tracy72
Starter Motor

Quote:
- Windscreen wipers would intermittantly drop back a level (same sort of thing that happens when you stop). Ford replaced the stalk (with the usual 10 day wait).
- Lumbar support snapped and was replaced (with the usual 10 day wait).
- "Engine Malfunction" message and light have come on about 3 times in the last 6 months with no change in the performance of the car. Ford think this is the injector auto adjusting 'mapping', so have reset the mapping. Will see how this goes.
- Intermittantly running rough after coming to a stop from a highway run, with the 'gauge' jumping from about 1.1 L/H to 2.6 L/H. Ford suggested this is the system 'burning off' residues in some box in the exhaust system (I'm guessing it is similar to the catalytic converters in petrol engine cars).
- Goes through lowbeam globes quickly. I drive with my lights on and I've replaced 4 sets in the last two years - with Narva ones too!

I do really enjoy the 1,000 to 1,200 klms per tank I get as it means I'm only filling up every 9 days or so. I also agree with one of the above posters about how nice it is to drive, corners well and isn't too soft or hard in the suspension.

Hello, have you had any further problems with your Mondeo showing 'Engine Malfunction'? Ours is doing it constantly and we've had it in at our Ford Dealer about 6 times and it's still not fixed.
Tracy72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2014, 01:02 PM   #95
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
- Windscreen wipers would intermittantly drop back a level (same sort of thing that happens when you stop). Ford replaced the stalk (with the usual 10 day wait).
- Lumbar support snapped and was replaced (with the usual 10 day wait).
- "Engine Malfunction" message and light have come on about 3 times in the last 6 months with no change in the performance of the car. Ford think this is the injector auto adjusting 'mapping', so have reset the mapping. Will see how this goes.
- Goes through lowbeam globes quickly. I drive with my lights on and I've replaced 4 sets in the last two years - with Narva ones too!

I do really enjoy the 1,000 to 1,200 klms per tank I get as it means I'm only filling up every 9 days or so. I also agree with one of the above posters about how nice it is to drive, corners well and isn't too soft or hard in the suspension.
The "Running Rough" is the DPF doing a Re-Gen.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:16 AM   #96
rowie77
Starter Motor

Mondeo battery (2008 TDCI) flat. I had Battery World come out and replace. Once replaced Anti theft armed and car was a big inoperable lump. Battery world tech could not fix. I was arranging a tow to Ford when my mate disconnected the battery for 5 minutes and car was good as new.
rowie77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2015, 09:02 AM   #97
yelpir

Over Christmas and new year, check engine light comes on and car (MA Zetec) struggles to accelerate. OBD scanner spits out a p2008 code. Turns out to be a faulty solenoid which was replaced and car is as good as before. CD drive fault. Cds already inside will play but won't load any cds any more. Least of my problems as I don't use it that much any way. Intermittent faults with cruise control, drops out after engaging or won't engage at all. Faults can't be reproduced at repair centre as it is working perfectly now. And before Christmas, rocker gasket cover was found to be leaking.
yelpir is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2015, 11:45 PM   #98
tocster
Starter Motor

On the way back from Ballarat, my 2011 TDCI Mondeo displayed an 'Engine Malfunction' error, and put itself in limp mode. Took it to the dealer, and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Bit of a worry that the car didnt store the code, but the dealer tells me there is nothing recorded.
tocster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2015, 10:28 AM   #99
msford

Quote:
Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
The "Running Rough" is the DPF doing a Re-Gen.
I've been meaning to ask about this myself as I've wondered what on earth was going on. It sounded like the engine was coughing and spluttering and I thought there might be something wrong with it but it's good to know that it's not an actual problem.

Cheers
msford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2015, 01:05 PM   #100
Fard12
Starter Motor

Any had the issue with the park lights on the driver side only coming on after parked and the right hand indicator coming on randomly while driving. Sent my battery flat and a real pain in the backside.
Fard12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2015, 05:06 PM   #101
byrnzy
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fard12 View Post
Any had the issue with the park lights on the driver side only coming on after parked and the right hand indicator coming on randomly while driving. Sent my battery flat and a real pain in the backside.
Those 2 issues may relate. Without consulting the manual I believe it is a feature that the car will turn the headlight on once the engine has been turned off, if the blinker arm is moved to the on position. Ie move the blinker arm to the left position the left lights come on, move to the right and the driver side lights come on.

So if the indicator is coming on randomly while driving, it may be getting into this same position at night and just triggering the sensor enough to make it think you have told it to turn the lights on.

You can try the blinker configuration at home and see if what I have stated above is true. If so, maybe apply a small amount of pressure on the arm to see if the lights come on with out much force at all.

It may be a new blinker arm mechanism is required or I could be completely wrong.....
byrnzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2015, 09:12 AM   #102
Ros5co
Zetec MC Hatch TDCi

Had a similar problem last year however it was the left hand side mucking up.

Indicator stalk/unit was replaced under warranty. Took several weeks for dealer to get the part.
Ros5co is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2015, 01:11 PM   #103
esppwr

2014 Mc lx tdci wagon (company car)

Broke down at 14k, needed to be towed to dealer, both engine light & trans fault displayed. Apparently it was a leaking fuel rail?

Plastic guides on the cargo compartment cover broke within the first month, apparently not covered under warranty.

Rattle in the roof lining from new, fixed at first service.

It's done 28k now and the dsg is playing up. It hesitates (even more than usual), feels like it's slipping when given a hard time & shift erratically. Think they should remove the letter "f" from "power shift" for a more accurate description of the gearboxes in these cars.
esppwr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-09-2015, 02:47 PM   #104
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2010 MB TDCi wagon, registered in 2011 and coming up to 60,000 km. I expected to do a much higher mileage, but circumstances changed.

After 4.5 years, it's just developed a creak from the centre console. No other rattles or squeaks, unlike the early MA that I had. It has some minor oil seepage from the sump, which isn't worth fixing at this stage.

So no real issues at all, still on the original battery and brakes, although the rear pads will need replacing soon. Consistently gets at least 6 l/100 km on trips with the boot full of tools.

I have backed into a few things that were in the left rear blind spot, but that's not a reliability issue!

I drove a MC last year, which certainly felt livelier with the Powershift trans. But the MB is smoother to drive around town, and I don't think there's much difference when in "manual" mode.

I almost traded it on a Passat wagon when it was 4 years old, but after a long test drive, I drove the Mondeo home and thought why would I want to change? The bling on the R-line was tempting (runout deal), but the Mondeo is a nicer drive. And after my MA experience, 1 wouldn't buy the new Mondeo until it's been in production a couple of years.

Last edited by NZ XR6; 23-09-2015 at 02:51 PM. Reason: typo
NZ XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2015, 03:03 PM   #105
nevetsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6 View Post
I almost traded it on a Passat wagon when it was 4 years old, but after a long test drive, I drove the Mondeo home and thought why would I want to change?
That and all Passat TDi's are about to get gimped when they turn the environmental controls on full time.

RIP: Mondeo 2008 MA TDCi. Colorado Red, Leather, Bluetooth, sunroof, Tow pack. C.R. Tech tuning box
nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2015, 03:04 PM   #106
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevetsg View Post
That and all Passat DTi's are about to get gimped when they turn the environmental controls on full time.
I am really pleased I didn't buy it!
Old 28-09-2015, 02:59 PM   #107
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I run two MC wagons. They are 2011 2.0 diesel models with powershift transmissions. At 125000km on each car I've had near zero problems. One had a coolant leak. Changing the heater hose required a special remotely operated plier to get the clip off. Best things are the handling and the long distance between filling up. Average fuel consumption is 6.2/4 l/km.
Servicing is a bit expensive though.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2015, 12:40 AM   #108
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Servicing shouldn't be expensive, there's not much that needs doing. The Ford dealerships rip us off in a big way. I do my own servicing now that it's out of warranty.

The Powershift fluid changes would cost though.
Old 30-09-2015, 03:42 PM   #109
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The powershift transmission fluid change is not expensive if you do it yourself
using FUCHS DCTF. I use the 20 litre containers, the shelf life is uncertain but looks good to me so far. The main problem for DIYers might be getting the car up and level. If you don't have access to a hoist, you will need some combination of multiple jacks and jack stands to do the job. Otherwise it is
fairly simple. I use Forscan to check transmission temp, which should be 35 to 40 deg C. I use a bubble level also. Have done it 4 times now over the two cars. Kangaroos are my main worry.
This user likes this post:
Old 29-12-2015, 12:45 AM   #110
Mondaveo

2011 MC Titanium TDCI wagon, bought second-hand a month and a half ago with 89,000km on the clock. I've just ticked over 1000kms of my own, culminating in a drive to Sydney with the family on Boxing Day and returning today.

About an hour from Sydney, travelling at 110km/h under cruise control on the Hume Highway, I get a warning chime, "Transmission Limited Function" message and it loses all drive. Manual mode displays "7" as the gear and still has no drive; the motor just revs like it's in neutral. I coast to a stop on the side of the road, switch off the engine and start it back up: the message clears, driveline engages and it's fine all the way back to Canberra.

Bit disconcerting. I'm going to ring the service department tomorrow to ask if they can look at it (if they're open), just hoping my ownership experience isn't about to get a whole lot of expensive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2015, 06:21 PM   #111
borntoshop666

that doesn't sound too good, but could be something minor. Make sure they check at Ford for any Error Codes in the Diagnostic System. has the Trans Fluid being changed? I sold mine, a MB Titanium Diesel Wagon with 236000 on the Clock, I had my Fluid changed every 60k as required. I never had any Issues with the Powershift
Old 30-12-2015, 03:22 PM   #112
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As borntoshop says, get a scan, verify fluid change at 60000km.
Something minor could be an electrical connection (ground,connector).

That done with no conclusive answer, I'd ask for a fluid change and filter check under warranty (3 months?) If there is a developing mechanical fault, there may be evidence in the filter (metal shavings, bits of plastic) debris.

If that's all good, maybe it was a computer 'glitch' and will never happen again.
Old 30-12-2015, 05:56 PM   #113
Mondaveo

Thanks borntoshop and rondeo.

Car went to Ford today and I just collected it back.
There were no fault codes stored.
They did find multiple software updates for the PCM, TCM and ABS and applied those. The technician also cleaned and retensioned the earth connectors.
I asked about the transmission fluid change and the technician confirmed (through lookup on the computer) that it was (would have been?) done at the 60,000km service.
Cost me $145 for one hour's labour (though told me they spent 2-3).

I'm inclined to agree it was probably a one-off computer glitch (especially since the fix was to turn it off and on again...). Now that they've updated the powertrain software, checked the earths, and lightened my wallet, it may never occur again.

Rondeo - I assume you're referring to used car warranty from a dealer? Unfortunately, I bought privately, so no recourse there. The previous owner did have all services done at the dealership, on time every time, and it presented darn near immaculate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2016, 06:26 PM   #114
esppwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by esppwr View Post
2014 Mc lx tdci wagon (company car)

Broke down at 14k, needed to be towed to dealer, both engine light & trans fault displayed. Apparently it was a leaking fuel rail?

Plastic guides on the cargo compartment cover broke within the first month, apparently not covered under warranty.

Rattle in the roof lining from new, fixed at first service.

It's done 28k now and the dsg is playing up. It hesitates (even more than usual), feels like it's slipping when given a hard time & shift erratically. Think they should remove the letter "f" from "power shift" for a more accurate description of the gearboxes in these cars.
And to add to the enjoyment

Cruise control working intermittently, turns itself off when you slow down with the "-" button.

Radio display won't display anything if direct sun light has be on it on a warm day.
esppwr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2016, 03:25 AM   #115
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrin View Post
well the first period of rain and I've got water in the footwell of the rear driver section
Before going on a Holiday trip I give it the once over to make sure everything is okay and finally get to look into the possible leaks which is not only happening during heavy rain periods but also with the aircon going in general.

I had already looked into the possible Technical Service Bulletin that addresses the less than stellar fit and finish of the evaporator covers allowing A/C condensation to leak water and not through the drain hose. But I did get a tip from that Bulletin where it suggests exhausting all other alternatives, to which I found below and helped by following the dampness pattern

Turns out to be the A/C drain hose, specifically the foamy gasket on the lower white plastic fitting to the hole in the body, with the combination of exhaust heat shield that's butted up against the actual external drain fitting.

The result is the drain hole being blocked to some extent and backlog of water, but the location of the actual drain tube is right where your left foot is, so with the loose fitting, water is soaking into the fibreglass heat shield backing and allowed to bleed back past the fitting soaking and partially leaking into and past the gasket. Any and all movement from the drivers foot squishes the water from the gasket (on the drivers foot well side) making the carpet wet.

Also heavy rain allowing the same water ingress.

The fix I used was simple Ultra Blue gasket maker (silicon) a small bead under and on top of the gasket and refit, it looked great and a tiny amount squeezed around the complete fitting so I know I have full coverage. 12hrs to cure and that fixed any water ingress, and this trip proved it with no water coming back from both A/C condensation (both 9hr legs) and torrential rain on the return trip.

As for the Heat shield, I removed the first front section and pushed it forward as far as it will go. This gives access to the back end of the drain tube fitting, which you need to press the locking tabs to push the fitting back into the foot well for removal. On doing my fix I also shaped the heat shield to not butt up to the fitting and refit it.

Problem solved.

Oh and it felt so good and cold on a 40 something Deg day.

Though there was two other issues I'll leave for another time, both not what you'd want on a Holiday trip. One costs $950 in the end and the other is me needing to retro fit a new fuel filter/water trap.

Last edited by cobrin; 12-01-2016 at 03:37 AM.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2016, 10:33 AM   #116
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the info on damp Cobrin. Will you post details on the other issues?
Old 30-01-2016, 09:28 PM   #117
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

wasn't going to go into it, Radiator Fan had failed (AC tripping out on High-Temp) some time into the trip. $7-800 from Brisbane. I was considering keeping the old fan but it showed signs of previous repair and I decided to bin it. Was a quick turn around.

Engine shut down shortly after hitting the hwy (flippin great) on the return home. I suspected poor quality fuel, I was considering a water trap because of it but will hold back on that since it's happened again.

Now at home, on Thursday arvo it shut down again, gladly it restarted immediately after. I'm ordering a USB OBD2 and will use with Forscan just for an extra added help in diagnosing. My OBD2 code scanner didn't find any codes at all. Yesterday I spend a few hours diagnosing what I could and it didn't fault. Hasn't faulted today either.

The vehicle hasn't given any trouble ever till then (except the water ingress as above). So the last work to be done was the complete Fan Assembly and Controller. I tried the wiggle test on the harness with everything that could shutdown the engine and didn't find anything. Inspected fuses and relays, reseated essential systems so will have to wait if I can find something. At least till I can log data.

On the Plus side the car sounds so much nicer with the new fan and controller. What I originally thought was 3 speeds (off/low/high) seems to be variable with soft start.
Old 31-01-2016, 12:10 PM   #118
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My experience with fault codes on mondeo is one that cleared without having been reset with a scanner, it was there one moment and gone the next after restarting the car.

P2263 turbo boost pressure, went into limp mode, (30km to go) maybe just no turbo. Embarrassing going up the hill.
That was a couple of months ago, no recurrence. Suspect 'glitch!'
Old 31-01-2016, 05:16 PM   #119
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

yeah I think (haven't looked into it) that there are Hard and Soft Codes.

Soft type errors, in that if it should rectify itself (being temporarily OOR ect. seeing as it's intermittent) it's not stored.

Then Hard codes that are logged pending on the level of error and some what permanent or definite failure.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:21 AM   #120
bundybear75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondaveo View Post
2011 MC Titanium TDCI wagon, bought second-hand a month and a half ago with 89,000km on the clock. I've just ticked over 1000kms of my own, culminating in a drive to Sydney with the family on Boxing Day and returning today.

About an hour from Sydney, travelling at 110km/h under cruise control on the Hume Highway, I get a warning chime, "Transmission Limited Function" message and it loses all drive. Manual mode displays "7" as the gear and still has no drive; the motor just revs like it's in neutral. I coast to a stop on the side of the road, switch off the engine and start it back up: the message clears, driveline engages and it's fine all the way back to Canberra.

Bit disconcerting. I'm going to ring the service department tomorrow to ask if they can look at it (if they're open), just hoping my ownership experience isn't about to get a whole lot of expensive...

Any updates on this one?

I experienced the same symptoms this morning on the way to work. Cruise set at 110, then chime and same error messages.

Mine is a 2012 MC LX TDCi wagon with 134,000km on it. I only picked it up on Friday from Pickles in Canberra and have only travelled about 500km. It came with a 5000km warranty so hoping that this will be covered if there is a major issue.
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post