Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 30-12-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
~Spyne~

Default 2007 TDCi - Coolant?

Hi guys, quick/dumb question:
Have noticed the coolant level in my TDCi is rather (very) low and Ford have not topped it up the last few services (it seems). Not sure if they are supposed to, but the car never runs above 60% of the temp gauge, so it doesn't really concern me at the moment.
However, as general interest, would the Nulon Red Long Life Top-Up Coolant be suitable to use for topping up if the car already has the 'stock' red coolant in it from Ford. I know you're not supposed to mix coolants, but had heard this one was 'compatible'?

Also, as the car is coming up to being 5 years old, should Ford be doing a complete flush/refill at the next service?

Cheers guys.

Old 30-12-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2007 TDCi - Coolant?

Ford recommend changing the coolant every 4 years and if I recall my dealer does not do it unless they ask you first. (same with the brake fluid which has a 2-3 year life).
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 08:27 PM   #3
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Spyne~
Have noticed the coolant level in my TDCi is rather (very) low and Ford have not topped it up the last few services (it seems). Not sure if they are supposed to, but the car never runs above 60% of the temp gauge, so it doesn't really concern me at the moment.
However, as general interest, would the Nulon Red Long Life Top-Up Coolant be suitable to use for topping up if the car already has the 'stock' red coolant in it from Ford. I know you're not supposed to mix coolants, but had heard this one was 'compatible'?

Also, as the car is coming up to being 5 years old, should Ford be doing a complete flush/refill at the next service?

Cheers guys.
never ever mix coolant it could gell, just like aeroplane jelly... fact not fiction..

top up with water, if you want to run nulon flush and clean radiator and engine prior too..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2011, 01:20 AM   #4
rand0mn00b

the Nulon red pre-mixed top up coolant (50/50 mix) seems to work fine so far in my limited experience (other forum members appear to have used it with similar success)

according to: http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Coo...op-Up_Coolant/ - it should be compatible with Ford's orange/red coolant

definitely don't mix colours. topping it up with too much water will also affect the ratio (no longer will be 50/50) so i would avoid that

Focus manual claims the coolant will last 10 years but I'm not going to wait that long before flushing
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
SpasticBus
Indifferent

Quote:
Not sure if they are supposed to, but the car never runs above 60% of the temp gauge, so it doesn't really concern me at the moment.
Hey mate, my LT TDCi sits just under 50% most of the time. I have never seen it above 50%. Under what conditions have you seen it at 60%? Just curious. Also, I recently checked my fluids and noticed my coolant level has dipped just under the MIN level. How much coolant loss have you experienced?
SpasticBus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 01:56 AM   #6
rand0mn00b

likewise, my temp gauge sits just under 50% also

funny you should mention that, my coolant level was also about 1 inch below min - i think it has been for some time now - but decided to top it up before going on a return trip to adelaide
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #7
~Spyne~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpasticBus
Hey mate, my LT TDCi sits just under 50% most of the time. I have never seen it above 50%. Under what conditions have you seen it at 60%? Just curious. Also, I recently checked my fluids and noticed my coolant level has dipped just under the MIN level. How much coolant loss have you experienced?
During the arvo on Christmas Day, when it was about 37 outside - had been driving for 3 hours in mostly stop-start, with the a/c going and it crept up to just over 50%.
And I haven't noticed coolant loss/leakage, just noticed that it has been sitting below "MIN" for a few months now, even though I'd had the car serviced in that period.
Like I said, I wasn't concerned about the car overheating, but was just generally asking if the Nulon stuff could be used as a compatible top-up coolant with the factory Ford coolant.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Would be nice to know, would be even better if they serviced it properly hey

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #9
SpasticBus
Indifferent

Quote:
Have noticed the coolant level in my TDCi is rather (very) low and Ford have not topped it up the last few services (it seems). Not sure if they are supposed to, but the car never runs above 60% of the temp gauge, so it doesn't really concern me at the moment..
Yeah i would have taken it back and gotten them to top it up. I have a service coming up in March and would expect to see it topped up. Don't know if i will be going to Ford or another place yet. Or whether i'll just do it myself.
SpasticBus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #10
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you need a good suction pump to change the fuel filter as you must bleed the system after the filter housing. I found it was a messy job and had to have two goes to bleed it correctly, luckily the fuel filter is only required on the major service intervals.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post