Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Do you support euthanasia?
Yes I support it 52 89.66%
No I donít support it 3 5.17%
Iím undecided 3 5.17%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-02-2019, 08:19 PM   #1
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1
 
73 4V XB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,985
Default Euthanasia in QLD

After seeing both my grandmother and mother suffer through the pain of cancer knowing what the outcome will be I hope people will see their way to supporting euthanasia in QLD.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/pol...14-p50fwq.html
__________________
Cheers Bretto


73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2019, 10:01 PM   #2
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
LG17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Taromeo
Posts: 5,385
Default Re: Euthanasia in QLD

We treat our pets better at end of life than we do our families.
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2019, 11:02 PM   #3
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,135
Default Re: Euthanasia in QLD

About time it was made national as well - this state based routine won't cut it.
At the moment you have to wait til mid year and travel to Victoria.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-02-2019, 11:10 PM   #4
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
Adamz Ghia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Geelong
Posts: 1,334
Default Re: Euthanasia in QLD

This is only from what Iíve heard, so Iím not stating this as fact, but is it the case now that doctors just pump you full of morphine till you go, as a way to make you Ďcomfortableí?

Weíve been lucky I guess if you could say that, that deaths in our family while not painless, have been very fast so we havenít had to consider this, but itís about time we had that choice for ourselves.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-02-2019, 01:04 AM   #5
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1
 
73 4V XB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,985
Default Re: Euthanasia in QLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
This is only from what Iíve heard, so Iím not stating this as fact, but is it the case now that doctors just pump you full of morphine till you go, as a way to make you Ďcomfortableí?

Weíve been lucky I guess if you could say that, that deaths in our family while not painless, have been very fast so we havenít had to consider this, but itís about time we had that choice for ourselves.
All drugs administered are accounted for, morphine in particular. If a doctor was to ďpump you fullĒ of any drug and was found out he would be open to every malpractice law suit under the sun.
Rumour has it that some nurses hold back certain drugs to give the patient a last dose at the right time

This is purely a rumour and I have no proof nor do I suggest that such practices happen.

All votes in this poll are completely anonymous.
__________________
Cheers Bretto


73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2019, 04:55 AM   #6
PG2
#coloradolyfe
Donating Member2
 
PG2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 6,764
Default Re: Euthanasia in QLD

To All Members

This is a very sensitive topic and while I understand that some people will have very strong opinions, arguing and abuse will not be tolerated.

This thread will be closely monitored. Please respect each other's opinions and feelings on this matter or the thread will be closed and possible warnings/bans issued.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2019, 08:28 AM   #7
Gypzy
FG XR6 Tray back
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Lockyer Valley
Posts: 151
Default Re: Euthanasia in QLD

My wife is now in Paliative Care with a reasonably short time remaining. While i'm in support of Euthanasia, the decision has to be with her, the patient, and no one else. If she wishes to raise the subject, we can then discuss it, but until then, i'm not going to even mention it.
Gypzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2019, 10:08 AM   #8
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
LG17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Taromeo
Posts: 5,385
Default Re: Euthanasia in QLD

It's a terrible situation to be in Gypzy.
We had something similar with my mother in law who was only 59!


My wife and I have discussed euthanasia and 'do not resus' situations with our sons (30 and 23yo). They know what our wishes are and are on board with our decisions.
In fact, both have made the same decisions off their own bat.


I will admit that our decisions were influenced by my many years working with people with severe disabilities, so maybe we have a different outlook to others.
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2019, 06:57 PM   #9
Junkyard-Dog
Silver BA Fairmont
 
Junkyard-Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: SA
Posts: 1,289
Default Re: Euthanasia in QLD

A human being should have the liberty to decide what to do with their mortal vessel.

Governments should not control life and death to the extent that they currently do.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2019, 02:47 PM   #10
supershifty
Missing a sock
Donating Member3
 
supershifty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Brisbane 4017
Posts: 7,885
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 
Arrow Re: Euthanasia in QLD

It's my life and my choice what I want to do with it with regards to euthanising myself. Euthanasia and suicide are illegal, fine tell that to me when I'm dead. No-one tells me what to do in this instance.

I've discussed it at length with my ex and daughters and they are totally ok with it and my peaceful self induced exit strategy. They will not assist me no matter how bad things are for me as much as they'd like to - an act of love and caring would leave them well open for prosecution.

I've recently had a mild stroke and am indeed very lucky, the clot could've been far worse for myself. It is very likely I'll recover enough to lead a normal life.

My biggest fear is becoming a catatonic vegetable, long term comatose or dependent on other people for me to "exist" where I can't end it for myself. That is not what I consider a life for me. I'd like to sign a form right now that if I don't recover after six months to give me the "green dream".

I realise the laws for euthanasia would be very hard for the policy makers to formulate, legislate and enact as it's fraught with many different scenarios. I hope some form of euthanasia medically assisted suicide is enabled, the legislation if enacted can be changed if so needed at a later date.

My 5 cents worth anyway. Cheers!
__________________

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 20-03-2019, 07:35 AM   #11
XByoot
Moderator
Donating Member3
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,870
Default Re: Euthanasia in QLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
A human being should have the liberty to decide what to do with their mortal vessel.

Governments should not control life and death to the extent that they currently do.
You sir are a very wise young man. Couldnít agree more
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2019, 10:23 AM   #12
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
asagaai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 1,447
Default Re: Euthanasia in QLD

My father was a boxer in the Royal Navy and got out of chores by being in the boxing team. Back in those times they did not use headgear and had inappropriate disproportionate weight match ups- result he took too many hits to the head.

He now has a form of dementia flowing from this trauma, and his short term memory is nil. He started becoming unable to control his aggression and assaulted a couple of people over a squabble over car parking and garden watering in an old age village.

The Police were good and mercifully did not prosecute, and end result he has been placed in a high care dementia nursing home-and although he was a hard mean man I still find it very confronting visiting him in what is a hospital ward prison. I now just get out of that place by taking him to Nobbys beach where he can sit and look at ships because he remembers the smell of the ocean and remembers ships.

I know I never want to exist like this. Speaking to my brother my plan is when that end stage comes visiting me to sit on my balcony looking at Lake Macquarie during sunset, consume certain magic pills and then down a few bottles of red and peacefully and happily pass looking at the beautiful world.

Politicians should pull their fingers out and enact legislation to enable humans to decide their time and mode of passing, so it is humane and dignified, with appropriate safeguards in place.
__________________
Ford Rides:
Cortina GT 1600 manual, DCOE webbers, cam, headwork, high compression, extractors-loud spitty carbie fun

Ford TE 4.1 litre manual, alloy head, valves, waggot cam, holley, extractors, tyre spinning fun that handled like a drunken slug on amphetamines

Ford Festiva 1.3 - married-still alive???

Now

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98 whoohoo

Last edited by asagaai; 20-03-2019 at 10:30 AM.
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2019, 10:01 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Misanthropist
Donating Member3
 
Franco Cozzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kentry Victoria
Posts: 36,159
Default Re: Euthanasia in QLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty View Post
It's my life and my choice what I want to do with it with regards to euthanising myself. Euthanasia and suicide are illegal, fine tell that to me when I'm dead. No-one tells me what to do in this instance.

I've discussed it at length with my ex and daughters and they are totally ok with it and my peaceful self induced exit strategy. They will not assist me no matter how bad things are for me as much as they'd like to - an act of love and caring would leave them well open for prosecution.

I've recently had a mild stroke and am indeed very lucky, the clot could've been far worse for myself. It is very likely I'll recover enough to lead a normal life.

My biggest fear is becoming a catatonic vegetable, long term comatose or dependent on other people for me to "exist" where I can't end it for myself. That is not what I consider a life for me. I'd like to sign a form right now that if I don't recover after six months to give me the "green dream".

I realise the laws for euthanasia would be very hard for the policy makers to formulate, legislate and enact as it's fraught with many different scenarios. I hope some form of euthanasia medically assisted suicide is enabled, the legislation if enacted can be changed if so needed at a later date.

My 5 cents worth anyway. Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog
I live near the old Holden manufacturing base at Elizabeth.

A lot of local businesses have been burnt by Holden's decision to pack up and go. Things that you might not even think about - the sandwich place in Elizabeth centre just closed. I know they got a lot of business from Holden workers in the past.
Exists in Mexico bud

https://www2.health.vic.gov.au/hospi...assisted-dying

Edit: No idea how that Holden quote ended up in here but how appropriate if anyone who could use assisted dying, it's the 'Commodore'
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-03-2019, 08:37 AM   #14
XByoot
Moderator
Donating Member3
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,870
Default Re: Euthanasia in QLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
My father was a boxer in the Royal Navy and got out of chores by being in the boxing team. Back in those times they did not use headgear and had inappropriate disproportionate weight match ups- result he took too many hits to the head.

He now has a form of dementia flowing from this trauma, and his short term memory is nil. He started becoming unable to control his aggression and assaulted a couple of people over a squabble over car parking and garden watering in an old age village.

The Police were good and mercifully did not prosecute, and end result he has been placed in a high care dementia nursing home-and although he was a hard mean man I still find it very confronting visiting him in what is a hospital ward prison. I now just get out of that place by taking him to Nobbys beach where he can sit and look at ships because he remembers the smell of the ocean and remembers ships.

I know I never want to exist like this. Speaking to my brother my plan is when that end stage comes visiting me to sit on my balcony looking at Lake Macquarie during sunset, consume certain magic pills and then down a few bottles of red and peacefully and happily pass looking at the beautiful world.

Politicians should pull their fingers out and enact legislation to enable humans to decide their time and mode of passing, so it is humane and dignified, with appropriate safeguards in place.
Mate Iím with you, Lake Macquarie and a few good reds sounds a far better option.

Im sure youíve heard all the info about dementia from the professionals, but as a heads up the aggression is a very common issue with dementia. My girlfriends mum has been a handful to put it mildly throughout her life and became aggressive and very argumentative when she got dementure. The medication has helped immensely and also slows the dementia advancement,but I have zero idea at what stages the medications no longer helps.

Hope it helps, good luck with it all mate.
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-03-2019, 10:01 AM   #15
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
LG17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Taromeo
Posts: 5,385
Default Re: Euthanasia in QLD

A good friend wants to go to Japan in winter and just walk out into the snow.
She ruled out Canada because of the bears.
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-03-2019, 09:27 PM   #16
CitroŽnbender
DIY tragic
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Sydney, more than not. I hate it.
Posts: 1,744
Default Re: Euthanasia in QLD

There is more information here about making submissions:

https://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/work-of-committees/committees/HCDSDFVPC/inquiries/current-inquiries/AgedCareEOLPC

I'm 100% not knocking debate here, but if you have a viewpoint (and darned straight you should, unless you are certain to live forever), for Pete's sake make a submission as well through the official channels. You don't have to be a banana-bender to send in your POV.

SUBMISSIONS CLOSE APRIL 15TH

Please, think about it, then do something.
CitroŽnbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2019, 08:57 AM   #17
Gypzy
FG XR6 Tray back
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Lockyer Valley
Posts: 151
Default Re: Euthanasia in QLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
My father was a boxer in the Royal Navy and got out of chores by being in the boxing team. Back in those times they did not use headgear and had inappropriate disproportionate weight match ups- result he took too many hits to the head.

He now has a form of dementia flowing from this trauma, and his short term memory is nil. He started becoming unable to control his aggression and assaulted a couple of people over a squabble over car parking and garden watering in an old age village.

The Police were good and mercifully did not prosecute, and end result he has been placed in a high care dementia nursing home-and although he was a hard mean man I still find it very confronting visiting him in what is a hospital ward prison. I now just get out of that place by taking him to Nobbys beach where he can sit and look at ships because he remembers the smell of the ocean and remembers ships.

I know I never want to exist like this. Speaking to my brother my plan is when that end stage comes visiting me to sit on my balcony looking at Lake Macquarie during sunset, consume certain magic pills and then down a few bottles of red and peacefully and happily pass looking at the beautiful world.

Politicians should pull their fingers out and enact legislation to enable humans to decide their time and mode of passing, so it is humane and dignified, with appropriate safeguards in place.
We have had a similar expierience with having to put Dad into a secure Dementia ward about 12 months ago now. His wandering was out of control and he would lash out, sometimes with a knife. Our concern at the time was for Mums safety, and that of Dad who really didn't know what he was doing. This was not Dad, he wasn't a violent person. Dementia truely sucks.

I know as well, that i would never want to exist like this. I've often thought that if i'm at risk of getting Dementia, or another life ending Cancer, that i'd like to exit through the door of my choosing. Best i pull my finger out and start doing something about it, research the options, and let loved ones know of my wishes.

In regards to Dementia, there's an online course that i would strongly recomend. "Understanding Dementia". Entry closes March 31st. It's a "MOOC", (Massive Open Online Course) and is through the Wicking Dementia Research & Education Centre. Free and very informative.
Gypzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2019, 04:45 PM   #18
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
LG17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Taromeo
Posts: 5,385
Default Re: Euthanasia in QLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Stupid virtue signalling statement that sounds nice and fluffy but has no substance or basis in reality...

Nothing fluffy about it at all.
The vast majority of people do treat elderly or very sick pets much better than humans.
We don't let them suffer unnecessarily when there is no hope of recovery and euthanase them so they are no longer in pain.
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2019, 06:56 PM   #19
superyob
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,390
Default Re: Euthanasia in QLD

Because euthanasia for humans should be just like getting rid of an elderly dog, according to your statement. A pat on the snout for pesky ol grandma and then the lethal needle. Just like your pet...

The issue is far more complex than nice sounding but empty platitudes...
__________________
Equality is only demanded by inferior people.
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2019, 07:32 PM   #20
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
LG17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Taromeo
Posts: 5,385
Default Re: Euthanasia in QLD

You're the one saying it's just like getting rid of an elderly dog, not me.
I said we treat our animals better.
LG17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2019, 09:26 PM   #21
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Canberra
Posts: 10,198
Default Re: Euthanasia in QLD

I think if someone is of sound mind they should be able to choose. Plenty of people with terminal illness fit that but it is a complex issue.

My experience is with my grandma and her Dementia. While I think she would have preferred to have the choice, they can't actually make that decision when they are that far gone unfortunately.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +11. The time now is 01:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Other than what is legally copyrighted by the respective owners, this site is copyright www.fordforums.com.au
Positive SSL