Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #1
Fairmont06
Starter Motor

Default Clear coated alloy wheels advice needed

Hi all, I'm trying to find out the best way to clean the marks and oxidation that exists on my folks AU Fairmont ghia wheels? I attached a couple photos. I mean to us they don't look too bad, but if it was economical enough to fix em up better that would be good.

Cheers, Ben
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190213_103811.jpg (147.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 20190213_103822.jpg (151.0 KB, 63 views)
Fairmont06 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2019, 05:30 PM   #2
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Clear coated alloy wheels advice needed

If you could give your location it might help others to provide feedback.

Cheers
Old 14-02-2019, 12:45 AM   #3
Fairmont06
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post
If you could give your location it might help others to provide feedback.

Cheers
Yes good idea Thanks. Mossman QLD
Old 14-02-2019, 02:05 PM   #4
Bevsta007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.autogeek.net/how-to-clea...at-wheels.html
Ours Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Bevsta007 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2019, 02:03 AM   #5
Fairmont06
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Thanks, very helpful tips in there!
Old 16-02-2019, 12:36 PM   #6
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Ben and greetings from another FNQer,

Mate, you can wash and wax those wheels until the cows come home and it'll not make much difference unfortunately.

The problem is those little spider web looking marks are under the plastic clear coat. Motorcycle alloy parts such as fork legs and engine cases are exactly the same scenario. They look great when they're new but are a pain once the moisture gets under the clear coat. In our humid climate mate that doesn't take long as you know.

Obviously they're coated from the factory to look good for as long as possible with minimal maintenance.

With my bikes, I've found the only successful way to tackle the issue is to remove the clear coat and then polish, polish, polish! Bear in mind also that if you go down this track you'll have to keep the metal polish (Autosol or similar) up to them on a fairly regular basis to keep them looking good, but the results are worth it.

I generally start by using a paint stripper to remove the clear coat and then a fine grade wet and dry sandpaper such as P600 to remove the spider webs. Then its just a matter of polishing them. You could use a small buffing wheel attachment that goes onto a power drill on these wheels quite successfully by the looks of the contours on them.

If you use stripper you would need to remove the Ghia emblem first of course, otherwise the stripper will eat it. You 'd also need to check that the alloy between the spokes is not a painted finish. It looks like a natural finish in your pics, so id reckon it'd be okay. What I would do though is test a bit of stripper on the inside of the wheel first, just to ensure it doesn't stain the alloy.

I just use a domestic/handyman type product such as Selleys Poly Strippa. You don't need a stronger industrial type. If it were mine I'd wait until I was ready for a new of tyres. Get them to remove the old ones and then do the wheels while they're bare. That way you won't end up with stripper stuck in the bead. It's bloody messy stuff and does tend to get everywhere! Wear disposable gloves and eye protection as well mate.

Good luck with it!

Russ.
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2019, 11:18 PM   #7
Fairmont06
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post
Hi Ben and greetings from another FNQer,

Mate, you can wash and wax those wheels until the cows come home and it'll not make much difference unfortunately.

The problem is those little spider web looking marks are under the plastic clear coat. Motorcycle alloy parts such as fork legs and engine cases are exactly the same scenario. They look great when they're new but are a pain once the moisture gets under the clear coat. In our humid climate mate that doesn't take long as you know.

Obviously they're coated from the factory to look good for as long as possible with minimal maintenance.

With my bikes, I've found the only successful way to tackle the issue is to remove the clear coat and then polish, polish, polish! Bear in mind also that if you go down this track you'll have to keep the metal polish (Autosol or similar) up to them on a fairly regular basis to keep them looking good, but the results are worth it.

I generally start by using a paint stripper to remove the clear coat and then a fine grade wet and dry sandpaper such as P600 to remove the spider webs. Then its just a matter of polishing them. You could use a small buffing wheel attachment that goes onto a power drill on these wheels quite successfully by the looks of the contours on them.

If you use stripper you would need to remove the Ghia emblem first of course, otherwise the stripper will eat it. You 'd also need to check that the alloy between the spokes is not a painted finish. It looks like a natural finish in your pics, so id reckon it'd be okay. What I would do though is test a bit of stripper on the inside of the wheel first, just to ensure it doesn't stain the alloy.

I just use a domestic/handyman type product such as Selleys Poly Strippa. You don't need a stronger industrial type. If it were mine I'd wait until I was ready for a new of tyres. Get them to remove the old ones and then do the wheels while they're bare. That way you won't end up with stripper stuck in the bead. It's bloody messy stuff and does tend to get everywhere! Wear disposable gloves and eye protection as well mate.

Good luck with it!

Russ.

Thanks Russ, and good to meet you! Thanks for the wealth of good information and advice. I had a feeling it would take some heavy action to get these wheels in top shape. Sounds like it would be worth the effort and we don't mind keeping the polish up to things.
Yes the wet tropics is a harsh environment equipment, even on people. The car has lived most of it's nearly 20year life in Cairns fortunately always parked under cover car port which of course helps a lot.

I can see how this will be a good messy job, and yeah remove tyres for sure. I'll keep in mind all you've wrote, and let you know when I get around to doing it!

Cheers, Ben

Last edited by GasOLane; 16-02-2019 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
Old 17-02-2019, 02:59 AM   #8
happy1
Donating Member
Donating Member1

There are shops that will restore the machined surface by cutting off a very thin layer of metal, and re-apply the coating. It will look like factory sparkling new. The problem is that it is (very) expensive.

There is a DIY alternative, You can try to let the wheel rotate at idle speed when the car is jacked up and secured, and use 180-grit or similar sanding paper on a sanding block. (Hold it steady while the wheel is rotating) This should leave a smooth surface, and you will need to re-coat with 2-pack clear to bring out the shine. (This will not be as shiny as the machined surface, but could turn out quite nice anyway). NOTE: Be very careful to not get your jacket or fingers etc. snagged into the wheel if attempting his method.

Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-02-2019, 04:13 PM   #9
ESPJG32

Have a close look at the machining marks, I had the outside edge of my ESP wheels done...they have what is called a gramophone finish, meaning that the cutting tool actually creates a complete spiral like a record - this is difficult to create and requires an expert machinist to take off the minimum material whilst creating the original factory finish - the re clear coat is the easy bit - it depends on how much of a stikler for the job being exactly original - for me it must be perfect....it cannot be created using anything but a machine tool....up to you
ESPJG32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2019, 10:13 PM   #10
Studz xr8
Studzy

You could always fork out for a couple of packs of standard playing cards (poker, etc) and place them around the circumference of your wheel between your rim and tyre, standing up side by side.

This will help prevent Any paint stripper making contact with your new/worn tyres whilst you are applying it to the clear coat for removal.
YouTube has several videos showing how to resurface rims to make them like new.
Came across them when trying to find out how to fix the gutter rash from a set of Tickford rims I purchased for my XR8.
Have a look, you'll see what I mean.

Good luck mate, I hope they come up great.

Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk