Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-06-2019, 08:35 PM   #1
deven_200
Starter Motor

Default Shed ideas

Hi,
I’ve currently got a planning permit in to build a 13m x 7.5m shed with 3m eave height.
I’ve had a few different ideas of what size roller doors and placement of roller door to maximise its full potential. I want to have a workshop with mezzanine above and be able to store carpentry trailer, caravan (maybe a boat one day too.
My though was to have two roller doors on the long side and 1 in the gable side as well but I’m interested in different ideas. So please help me with anything you have or know anything or pictures of your own shed.
Regards

Deven
deven_200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2019, 09:58 PM   #2
hayseed

Default Re: Shed ideas

My 2 cents worth, is; You're Shed's not High enough..

Most Caravans particularly if fitted with a roof mounted Air conditioner will be higher than 3 Metres..
At the very least make the Door in the Gable end a Slider or Swing so as to get the opening higher than 3 Metres..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2019, 11:54 PM   #3
CJR09
RPO 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by deven_200 View Post
Hi,
I’ve currently got a planning permit in to build a 13m x 7.5m shed with 3m eave height.
I’ve had a few different ideas of what size roller doors and placement of roller door to maximise its full potential. I want to have a workshop with mezzanine above and be able to store carpentry trailer, caravan (maybe a boat one day too.
My though was to have two roller doors on the long side and 1 in the gable side as well but I’m interested in different ideas. So please help me with anything you have or know anything or pictures of your own shed.
Regards

Deven

I think your shed is too small for what you want to do with it

4x3m bay = each bay may be too small/skinny with all items in there

3x4m bay = not enough bays for the toys because workshop/mezz will take up a bay

the knee/eave height will/can work with the right roof pitch to create the height required for the caravan - you only need 400mm head room above DLO for a roller

i do think you need to go a little bigger - perhaps 16x7.5/8 for what you want to do - 13x7.5m will be fine without the boat

2no 3.0m (w) x 2.6m (h) rollers to side wall for the open bays and a 3.0m (w) x 3.0m (h) to the gable end wall opposite the workshop/mezz?

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-06-2019, 02:47 PM   #4
roKWiz
Cabover nut

American barn would give you the mezz and higher centre door height.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2019, 03:12 PM   #5
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You will need at least 4m for each bay's width.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2019, 07:14 PM   #6
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Depending on the zoning, what's 300mm between friends?

Or was it a typo: you meant 13×17.5m? ;-)

To put it into Ford context you need working bays large enough to remove or hang a Mustang door on the body, or enough space to wheel a crane with a 351 past the hoist post.

Max out the roof pitch, is it a portal frame, a trussed roof or cut timber? 39° (10/12) is a traditional pitch for older Australia roofs but now needs engineering rather than use of the BCA/TFC.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post