Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #1
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Nath deserve's a Technical Contributor award for his willingness to share everything in his vast knowledge of tuning EEC-IV and -V Falcons, not to mention engines! 
Default AU V8 Conversion - Parts List

After spending more days than i would've liked getting my V8 in and running,
I thought i'd save someone else the heartache by putting up a list of all the parts that were changed on the Fairlane to accommodate the V8.

I will break it up in a few sections so we can have a comprehensive list.

BRAKES
Shorten Vacuum Hose for Brake Booster - My 6 Cylinder Line had gone rock hard and needed replacing
IF you are installing a V8 i suggest uprating your brakes with better discs and pads, or even a retrofit of BF Brakes

STEERING
V8 Intermediate Shaft
Power Steering Lines - High and Low Pressure lines route differently
Power Steering Cooler - On a 6CYL there is simply a Loop Pipe, on a V8 there is an actual finned cooler
Grub screw or Replacement PSP Switch - to Block off and stop leaks from the Speed Sensor hole on the Rack
Length of 3/8 Hose - to run return line to the pump (Most Wreckers cut the hose)
Small Steel lines from Rack Body to Tower on Steering Rack (Mine got crushed by transmission on 6CYL Removal)

ENGINE
Water Pump - Easier to Replace while it is out
Engine Mount Brackets
Driver side Transmission Support bracket
Ford Steel Core AU V8 Rocker Cover Gaskets
Breather Line from Rocker Cover to Throttle Body
PCV Valve and Grommet

ELECTRICAL
AU V8 Engine Bay Loom - This runs from ECU to the Engine, Transmission, EVAP Cannister
Engine Harness - Please Be Aware that the Injector Plugs are to suit EV6 Injectors
EVAP Cannister
V8 Alternator Plug - You can either splice in your own connector, or use some half size spade plugs
Solenoid Plug (Unsure of name, Sits under the inner guard infront of passenger firewall - 6 CYL is different to V8
ECU - This will need to be reprogrammed to the car for Smartlock / Shield - Or if you run a QH - It can be disabled in the Programming
Ground Cables will need to be changed - You can pick up Ground straps of different sizing from SuperHeap or any Parts store
Starter Battery Wire - This is longer for a 6CYL, i pulled the excess up and changed the lug at the battery end once i shortened it
2x New 02 (HEGO) Sensors

FUEL SYSTEM
Fuel Pump - V8 Pumps have more flow, I believe these are the same as a VCT but i suggest a Walbro Pump - GSS340 with Installation Kit
Fuel Lines - V8 Lines are longer from the firewall forward
Vacuum Line - This is usually a package with the Fuel Lines
Vac Lines - From Manifold to Regulator

TRANSMISSION
Transmission Lines i believe are shorter on a V8 due to the box sitting further forward
Gear Shifter Linkage - V8 Linkages are Longer from the shifter to the gear plate - Roughly 1.5 - 2" Longer
Transmission Cooler - a Must if you install a Convertor

EXHAUST
V8 Extractors
Exhaust System from V8 Car - PLEASE BE AWARE Sedans are different to LWB - LWB are longer between Cats and Diff

COOLING & HEATING
Aircon Lines - From Accumulator on firewall to Compressor are Different (Lines mounted to guard do not require changing - But inline filter should be
Heater Lines - From Steel Lines on Manifold to Heater Tap
Heater Tap - This will require a Vac Line - The 6CYL One can be shortened by removing a section and installing the right angle connector to the end
Heater Core Lines - From Tap to Heater Core (Can use a BA 6CYL Heater Hose and cut it for two right angle hoses which will work fine
V8 Upper and Lower Radiator Hose - Please be aware that the Hose Clamp will need to be bigger for the water pump than for the radiator on the lower hose (Found this out at 10pm at night!)

FLUIDS
5L (or more if you have a larger pan) Engine Oil (Refer to Manual or engine builder)
15-20L of 95LE Transmission Fluid (For Autos)
2.5L of Green Coolant Concerntrate
Garden Hose
Brake Fluid (Always good to check the levels)

MISC
Cable Ties
Bolts - to mount the Power Steering Lines and Transmission Lines to the Crossmember
Band Aids
Music
Food
Drink
Leash - For the Dog that decides he wants to wedge himself between you and the car while on the creeper
Friend on Speed Dial who knows more than you
another friend on speed dial who never answers, so you can curse at him via voicemail (Kristo!)
Wrecker on Speed Dial
Access to the AFF Service Manuals and Wiring Diagrams
Never ending Bank Account
Hand Cleaner - A Lot of it
CLR - To wash your hair after working on transmission

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
364w | 225cc CNC | ---/---@0.050 | Morrison Motorsport ITB Manifold | MoTeC M150 (Engine Control) | PCS TCM-2800 (Trans Control) | 6800rpm Stall | 4R75W
FAT245 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post