Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-02-2019, 11:37 AM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Fitting AU with a Pollen Filter

I’ve been having a crack. Made a bracket of punched strapping because I had some handy. Reinforced the pops with SS flatwashers and backed the bracket with D-Mastic.

Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-02-2019, 12:53 PM   #2
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Fitting AU with a Pollen Filter

Looks good but the only caution would be the fan flow may be less because of the added restriction of the filter which was not factored in the original design.
Hopefully it works so let us know how it goes.

Bill.
Old 24-02-2019, 01:04 PM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Yes, I do expect it to load the motor up more. Cautiously optimistic, though.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:09 PM   #4
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

How'd you go with this mate?

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2019, 07:39 PM   #5
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

G'day, it's in the mongrel ute which is still off the road with my immobilisation issue.

Have run the fan on all speeds, seems no increase in working noise or vibration, no odd hot smells or blown fuses. Can't really comment on before/after airflow as the old HVAC box foam seals were history when I started.

The final test - which I'll try tomorrow once done soldering in a bypass connector for the ECU harness - is filter R&R. It's pretty cosy!
Old 03-04-2019, 08:09 PM   #6
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

It's tight as the proverbial analogy of your choosing. :-/

To get the filter out/in you need to disconnect, unclip and shove aside the vacuum connector block and the HVAC harness connector block. And the ECU-dash harness connector block. That's presuming glovebox already out. Normally these aspects wouldn't faze me but the matter of Ford using thin ABS for the connector mount tabs, is the "hmmm" part.

I think the height of the filter is the greatest issue here, were it (say) 20mm tall instead of 30, the job would be a lot less hassle - but the tradeoff is losing 1/3 your filter area at the same pleat spacing.

No regrets about doing it, seems nil practical effect on the cabin ventilation, but I might explore other filters were I making it again. The other tweak is to allow a bit more room within the holding clips to slide the filter left/right/up/down (maybe 5×5mm extra) just to help the sealing foam "flick" out where it gets folded over accidentally in fitting.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:11 PM   #7
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Thanks for the update!

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post