Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-03-2019, 10:31 PM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default AU Carpet/Underlay

I've made some effort to find the answer, but no dice (or I've looked wrongly). The floor is now bare, in my assaying of water leaks and repairs needed.

AUII, under the driver's feet only, is a different underlay with rigid PU foam encapsulating a steel lamination.

Questions about it.

1. What was the idea behind it - radiating catalyst heat?
2. Do they all rust, or is it just this particular car again?
3. Did this carry into the B-Series cars?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-03-2019, 11:17 PM   #2
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Default Re: AU Carpet/Underlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I've made some effort to find the answer, but no dice (or I've looked wrongly). The floor is now bare, in my assaying of water leaks and repairs needed.

AUII, under the driver's feet only, is a different underlay with rigid PU foam encapsulating a steel lamination.

Questions about it.

1. What was the idea behind it - radiating catalyst heat?
2. Do they all rust, or is it just this particular car again?
3. Did this carry into the B-Series cars?
1. Yes.

2. If they have leaked badly (which they can through the broken spot welds of the pedal box) they can rust as any car can do.

3. Not sure. B series floors are different though.
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-03-2019, 11:27 PM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Ta, have read about the spots pulling through, traced back the oxide staining on the top of the pedal box top brace and yep, there were the torn welds under my scuttle trim. I suspect this only happens with manuals and high mileage autos.

I do feel that the person who said "Hey, let's wrap bright steel in a porous foam and put it on the floor of an everyday car!" was a bit misguided.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:14 PM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Ratio adjustment underway. Started with 85% rug, 15% coffee, now 98% carpet and 2% clean(ish) water. Leaned on the forecast of a hot Mon-Wed for optimal drying.

Last edited by PG2; 07-03-2019 at 04:07 PM. Reason: photo size adjustment
3 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2019, 02:33 PM   #5
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That carpet is revolting. But that is also OH SO SATISFYING. Looking forward to seeing the clean, dry version.

O.T - any interest in Citroens?
macman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-03-2019, 03:02 PM   #6
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Oui. Although I try to stay on the blue oval here.

Was unimpressed to find once the carpet came clean, a plethora of butt-burns from flicking bumpers towards the pedal box. It's just plain grubby - why not use the ashtray?
Old 07-03-2019, 12:43 PM   #7
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Newbie type question: Is it readily possible to put the carpet back in with the dash in place, or is this a mission and a half?
Old 07-03-2019, 03:03 PM   #8
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The carpet definitely can be put back in place with the dashboard already completely assembled and installed.

You may find it easier to slit the carpet in the trans tunnel hump area, to get it around and past the centre dashboard supports, where it bolts to the hump/floor. If you have a bucket seat/console car, this should be fine as the console covers it.

Dashboard removal isn't a bad job, but it's complicated and time consuming, so there's no way I'd remove a dashboard simply to reinstall my carpet.
macman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2019, 05:53 PM   #9
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Ta, the dash came out first and by the timing of things will be ready to go back in before I'm done with the carpet and underlay.

With a competent helper, I think the complete dash is actually one of the easier I've encountered to RR.