Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-03-2019, 12:55 PM   #31
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Army Night Flying - Sydney 07-03-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
Novice pilots ??? Really ??
As somebody who worked in close proximity to military aircraft for 20 years, and have lived within easy seeing and hearing distance of where roKWiz goes bike riding, for the past 30 years, I am finding this NIMBY 'objection' unbelievably amusing.
If world relations really go to s*** during the next few years, and we get invaded by Russia/ China/ Indonesia/ New Zealand, how much notice is required regarding dates and targets and for environmental impact studies is required.
What happened in Pearl Harbour and Darwin in 1942 ?
a little off topic......Yes I believe Williamtown RAAF has been there since the 40's, now the lifestyle farm set of Medowie are complaining about it.
What ever happened to due diligence.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-03-2019, 05:42 PM   #32
Dave1966

Quote:
Novice pilots ??? Really ??
As somebody who worked in close proximity to military aircraft for 20 years, and have lived within easy seeing and hearing distance of where roKWiz goes bike riding, for the past 30 years, I am finding this NIMBY 'objection' unbelievably amusing.
If world relations really go to s*** during the next few years, and we get invaded by Russia/ China/ Indonesia/ New Zealand, how much notice is required regarding dates and targets and for environmental impact studies is required.
What happened in Pearl Harbour and Darwin in 1942 ?
That’s a pretty long shot there old mate!
YOU live near a military airport you get military aircraft noise, pretty simple. You live near a main road, you get traffic, you don’t live near these facilities well it’s not unreasonable to expect the low flying chopper is about to impact something in the near future unless your given a heads up.

“Novice pilots” yep, they aren’t born with iceman sunnies and hairdos, the military usually recruit and train their pilots, and they conduct military exercises as training. It’s quite possible theses guys are under instruction whilst conducting these manoeuvres.

I’m sure a excercise is slightly different to an invasion, giving folks impacted a heads up is by no means unreasonable, they aren’t saving us from imminent invasion by Tonga, it’s a simple exercise with no harm keeping the public informed. Comparing it to an invasion such as Darwin or Pearl Harbour is totally out of context. These military exercises are no different to any other activity that impacts the general public, they should be notifying those impacted.

Like I say, these guys do a great job and I’m all for the training, it would be great to watch, but there is absolutely nothing to gain from not doing the right thing and keeping the public on side. I can assure you if it was in a different area that mattered they would be playing a different game.

Oh and by the way, I used to live next door to an ex serviceman. He was less than unscathed by his military years at war. I always gave him a heads up if I was doing anything loud, his wife gave me the drum one day after he almost jumped out of his skin when I was using a jack hammer. This bloke would have been under the table in a puddle of you know what if he heard a chopper fly over at 50’. Its simple respect for others in my book.

Last edited by Dave1966; 10-03-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Dave1966 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-03-2019, 06:10 PM   #33
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
a little off topic......Yes I believe Williamtown RAAF has been there since the 40's, now the lifestyle farm set of Medowie are complaining about it. What ever happened to due diligence.
Bingo, mate. Got where I have lived since 1982.
And... wrong, wrong, wrong. Dunno where you get 'the lifestyle farm set' idea from. Where are you from ? Nobody I know around here complains about either the military or civilian aircraft noise.
I was rapt to see a couple of new F35s fly above our house at low level and slow speed when they arrived before Christmas.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-03-2019, 06:20 PM   #34
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1966 View Post
That’s a pretty long shot there old mate!
YOU live near a military airport you get military aircraft noise, pretty simple. You live near a main road, you get traffic, you don’t live near these facilities well it’s not unreasonable to expect the low flying chopper is about to impact something in the near future unless your given a heads up.
It was a pretty long shot in 1942 also.
So going by your other comments, PolAir, Westpac Rescue, Careflight and fire-fighting choppers should not be allowed to fly over suburban housing areas without notifying residents prior to their flight.
As an ex-serviceman, the more I read this thread, the more I am dismayed, so I am giving it away.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-03-2019, 06:54 PM   #35
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Kind of reminds me of the people that thought they were gloating about buying a cheap property close to the airport.....then 3 months later they're protesting that the airport should be closed or relocated.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-03-2019, 02:18 PM   #36
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Bingo, mate. Got where I have lived since 1982.
And... wrong, wrong, wrong. Dunno where you get 'the lifestyle farm set' idea from. Where are you from ? Nobody I know around here complains about either the military or civilian aircraft noise.
I was rapt to see a couple of new F35s fly above our house at low level and slow speed when they arrived before Christmas.
I'm agreeing with you....mainly newcomers to Campvale, Ferodale, Medowie, "4 acre Lifestyle pretend famers" (big hat no sheep) I know there were a lot of new people in your area, including Salt Ash, Motto Farm, Raymond Terrace, Fullerton Cove, Bobs Farm etc whinging about the airport noise and bombing range. I do a lot of work in the Newcastle, Port Stephens area so I regularly talk to a lot of people in that general area who are always on about the military planes. blah, blah, blah. I usually turn round and say I like them and ride there as much as I can.

I chose to live in between the Hume Fwy, Old Hume Hwy and the main Sydney to Melbourne railway line.
Ah, I love the noise from the big rigs on the Hwy at night and the 2km long freight trains on the main line.

2 users like this post:
Old 11-03-2019, 02:23 PM   #37
roKWiz
Cabover nut

On a side note, Ironically the ones complaining about the military planes are the ones who regularly use the civilian planes from Williamtown.

Old 12-03-2019, 06:47 AM   #38
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Is this thread still going?????

They need to train somewhere really ... and the more realistic setting the better.
Where I have lived in and around Sydney metro and out the Hawkesbury over the years, I have witnessed it ... and the occasions that it is done is very rare (which means they barely get a chance to do much of this training in the first place ... which is not a good thing).

There's no need for notice really .... although there was anyway (https://www.army.gov.au/media-room/n...aining-notices).

If there was some such future event where there may be an attack ... there'll be the same lot out there complaining that they were not given any notice either about that too.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-05-2019, 01:32 PM   #39
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
Kind of reminds me of the people that thought they were gloating about buying a cheap property close to the airport.....then 3 months later they're protesting that the airport should be closed or relocated.
We once had a race track down the gold coast and then as more people bought homes around it, then some how they started complaining about the noise and got it closed down.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2019, 10:20 AM   #40
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oakey must have some money in their budget as we've seen Chinooks in pairs flying low around here lately. It's an awesome sound!
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2019, 10:21 AM   #41
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Are they nesting, do you think?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2019, 03:10 PM   #42
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haha.
They have just been over again 5 mins ago.
Old 22-05-2019, 06:10 PM   #43
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
Oakey must have some money in their budget as we've seen Chinooks in pairs flying low around here lately. It's an awesome sound!
Chinooks are awesome.

whomp, whomp, whomp.

And they're carrying OUR boys and girls.
marty351 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2019, 06:27 PM   #44
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They were really low over our property so the whomp, whomp, whomp was WHOMP, WHOMP, WHOMP!

Just brilliant!
Old 24-05-2019, 08:42 AM   #45
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

We get everything up here in Townsville. Especially during the military exercises up in the High Range training area. Not uncommon to get your house shaken when the Jets drop their big ordnance and that's 35 to 40 K away.
Old 25-05-2019, 04:53 PM   #46
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We were treated to a single Blackhawk flyover on election day.
Doesn't sound as good as a Bell UH-1 Iroquois though.
Old 25-05-2019, 07:47 PM   #47
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Back in the Vietnam days, the RAAF used the River on our farm as target practice, low level, Canberras, day after day, for weeks.
Dropped canisters in the river too. House was about 25feet from the river.
Then one day, a couple of buggers come down low in a couple of Mirages, went quick, broke the barrier and blow all the windows on one side of the house.
The old man went berserk on the phone.
Couple of weeks later a couple of truck loads of sheepish Raafies turned up and did a whole lot of glazing.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: