Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 06-01-2019, 12:42 PM   #1
comfortablynumb

Default Cruise not starting

G'day;

I have an ST LZ Focus. The cruise control won't start sometimes. Quite intermittanr and I can't find any repeatable situations that cause it. By the way, I mean it won't turn ON, not that it won't ENGAGE.

Any suggestions before I part with dollars?
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2019, 08:54 AM   #2
LaserLikeFocus

Default Re: Cruise not starting

Check your fuses and invest in an OBD II reader ($$$), see if you can test the circuit that controls the cruise control function.

Check simple stuff as well like electrical contacts in the engine bay or the battery (I know...). Sometimes a lack of firm contact can play with the electronic components as the voltage and current can vary too much from their design parameters.

It could also be a PITA problem like a corroded wire.
LaserLikeFocus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2019, 08:57 AM   #3
LaserLikeFocus

The OBD reader will analyse a lot of possible faults. They aren't costless, but they're not as comprehensive as the proprietary or high-end readers and the problem (component) still could be costly.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:58 PM   #4
comfortablynumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserLikeFocus View Post
The OBD reader will analyse a lot of possible faults. They aren't costless, but they're not as comprehensive as the proprietary or high-end readers and the problem (component) still could be costly.

After burning up about 300Gb in data (haha) and chasing a few dead end leads that sounded plausible, I think I've found where the issue is.

It is the clockspring in the steering wheel.

Unlock steering wheel adjustment and telescope wheel in and out. Cruise control then turns on. Replace to normal position, still works.

Figure I'll keep doing this till it won't work at all and then I'll take it to the man and get the clockspring replaced.
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2019, 01:18 PM   #5
LaserLikeFocus

Thanks for the tip. This is good information for anyone with a similar issue.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:06 PM   #6
gumby123
LW Focus TDCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
G'day;

I have an ST LZ Focus. The cruise control won't start sometimes. Quite intermittanr and I can't find any repeatable situations that cause it. By the way, I mean it won't turn ON, not that it won't ENGAGE.

Any suggestions before I part with dollars?
Sounds like what I have. There's something going on, in the steering column. If I extend/retract it, I can generally get the cruise going again.
gumby123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2019, 11:05 AM   #7
jase_elxr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
After burning up about 300Gb in data (haha) and chasing a few dead end leads that sounded plausible, I think I've found where the issue is.

It is the clockspring in the steering wheel.

Unlock steering wheel adjustment and telescope wheel in and out. Cruise control then turns on. Replace to normal position, still works.

Figure I'll keep doing this till it won't work at all and then I'll take it to the man and get the clockspring replaced.
The clockspring is behind the steering wheel and moves with the column. Might just be a bad wiring connection in the column instead?
jase_elxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-01-2020, 12:30 PM   #8
rimmy181
Starter Motor

We have had intermittent cruise issues for a long time on the wife's 2014 Focus. This has resolved our issue or at least I know what the problem is. Thanks guys.
rimmy181 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post