Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-03-2017, 06:36 PM   #1
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Are CVTs really that bad?

Hi all

Looking two main new SUVs, the Mitsubishi Outlander and the Nissan X-Trail. They both have CVT autos. I am tempted to just stick with a manual transmission option but people including salesman say that no one wants them and neither should i. But anyway that brings me back to the CVTs, are they really that bad?

I love driving so would love to hear all angles on peoples thoughts etc. And any praise for the manual too would be good. So any advice positive or negative would be much appreciated...

[B]2000 AU2 Fairmont Wagon - Congo Green
Factory Smart Bullbar, Hayman Reese Heavy Duty 2300kg Towpack and Front and Rear Mudflaps.
zlcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2017, 06:43 PM   #2
Trump
bitch lasagne

Default Re: Are CVTs really that bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlcrazy View Post
Hi all

Looking two main new SUVs, the Mitsubishi Outlander and the Nissan X-Trail. They both have CVT autos. I am tempted to just stick with a manual transmission option but people including salesman say that no one wants them and neither should i. But anyway that brings me back to the CVTs, are they really that bad?

I love driving so would love to hear all angles on peoples thoughts etc. And any praise for the manual too would be good. So any advice positive or negative would be much appreciated...
They are fine to drive, it's when they go breasticles up (which they will) just after the warranty has expired where their main failing lies. There are no serviceable parts for the CVT in either unit and as such, it's a new CVT box (at some ridiculous price) time.

Go for a manual, we did with the X-Trail and it's one of the easiest little buses you could drive in manual form.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2017, 06:49 PM   #3
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I just posted this in your other thread before seeing this one -

"The thing with CVT's is that they are great for tootling around town, A to B driving ect, which is precisely what most vehicles fitted with a CVT are designed to do. For the average driver they do a pretty good job and most wouldn't know the difference to a torque converter auto anyway.

CVT's get a bad wrap with car enthusiast's because once the foot gets deeper into the throttle it all turns to mushiness. They lack the proper ability to use the full range of revs and feel unresponsive to enthusiastic driving, even with the programmed "gears" many now feature.

I personally prefer a traditional torque converter automatic to either a CVT or DCT but for general round town driving, a CVT has its merits."

The reason the dealer is telling you don't want a manual is because he doesn't have one in stock and wants you take the auto one burning a hole on the showroom floor.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2017, 07:04 PM   #4
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump View Post
They are fine to drive, it's when they go breasticles up (which they will) just after the warranty has expired where their main failing lies. There are no serviceable parts for the CVT in either unit and as such, it's a new CVT box (at some ridiculous price) time.

Go for a manual, we did with the X-Trail and it's one of the easiest little buses you could drive in manual form.
Thanks for your quick reply. I pretty much agree with all you've said. Did you purchase a current T32 X-Trail?

Factory Smart Bullbar, Hayman Reese Heavy Duty 2300kg Towpack and Front and Rear Mudflaps.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:22 PM   #5
bernbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had a hire car cvt outlander a few weeks ago. It never was in the right ratio when you needed it and was bloody awful to drive, terrible off the line and always tried to keep the revs low probably to save fuel. It was absolute delight to come home to our 10year old ford Territory awd with a conventional 6speed. It drove like a new car should not like the ourlander with 12thou on it. Apparently in the outlander the diesel gets the conventional torque converter auto but you maybe like me and hate diesels.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
bernbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-03-2017, 07:34 PM   #6
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernbo View Post
Had a hire car cvt outlander a few weeks ago. It never was in the right ratio when you needed it and was bloody awful to drive, terrible off the line and always tried to keep the revs low probably to save fuel. It was absolute delight to come home to our 10year old ford Territory awd with a conventional 6speed. It drove like a new car should not like the ourlander with 12thou on it. Apparently in the outlander the diesel gets the conventional torque converter auto but you maybe like me and hate diesels.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Thanks for that. Real experience which is most helpful. Yeah im not a fan of diesels either really so rules that out. I drove a hire Outlander a few months back too and found it the same. Which is what made me really consider the manual. Although thats only a 5speed unit.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:35 PM   #7
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Thanks for your quick reply. I pretty much agree with all you've said. Did you purchase a current T32 X-Trail?
We bought a manwell diesel T32 last year brand new, the only failing is it could use more "rugged" tyres, the factory items aren't up to it when roughing it. Tyres aside, it's a brilliant little bus and has actual off-road capability as opposed to most AWD SUV's (has transfer case and selectable 4WD).

Old 01-03-2017, 07:39 PM   #8
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We bought a manwell diesel T32 last year brand new, the only failing is it could use more "rugged" tyres, the factory items aren't up to it when roughing it. Tyres aside, it's a brilliant little bus and has actual off-road capability as opposed to most AWD SUV's (has transfer case and selectable 4WD).
How do you find the diesel? Correct me if im wrong, isnt the diesel a Renault engine?

Old 01-03-2017, 07:55 PM   #9
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The wife insisted on a Mini. The CVT in that is terrible has a vibration in it when feathering the throttle to keep up with traffic, annoys me but doesn't bother her. Had it at Mini a number of times to fix and they claim its the way it is but do agree there is a vibration. After reading Trumps post now I know why they are playing hard ball on fixing it.

Get a manual imo if you value driving.
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-03-2017, 08:22 PM   #10
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipping View Post
The wife insisted on a Mini. The CVT in that is terrible has a vibration in it when feathering the throttle to keep up with traffic, annoys me but doesn't bother her. Had it at Mini a number of times to fix and they claim its the way it is but do agree there is a vibration. After reading Trumps post now I know why they are playing hard ball on fixing it.

Get a manual imo if you value driving.
I fully understand what you mean about the vibration. They all seem to do it, i put it down to the nature of the CVT that is programed for ultra fuel economy. Which means they rev at basically idle levels around town to save fuel.

I definitely think manual is the answer for me

Old 01-03-2017, 08:30 PM   #11
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can not stand them and would rather crawl on my hands and knees to get from a to b, if you have any doubts at all get the manual. But my experiances are from a lancer so others might be better.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2017, 08:37 PM   #12
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post
I can not stand them and would rather crawl on my hands and knees to get from a to b, if you have any doubts at all get the manual. But my experiances are from a lancer so others might be better.
Pretty much how i see it too

Old 01-03-2017, 08:48 PM   #13
Chopped
as in chopped

I've driven a few Lancers with CVT and I hated it. I personally would not buy one.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:52 PM   #14
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
How do you find the diesel? Correct me if im wrong, isnt the diesel a Renault engine?
It's a ripper little unit. Way more torque than I was expecting and it's quite smooth for an oiler. Having just filled up (approx 59L went in) with 910km on the tripmeter from the previous tank of fuel, I'd say the fuel economy is nothing short of amazing.

Old 01-03-2017, 08:56 PM   #15
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's a ripper little unit. Way more torque than I was expecting and it's quite smooth for an oiler. Having just filled up (approx 59L went in) with 910km on the tripmeter from the previous tank of fuel, I'd say the fuel economy is nothing short of amazing.
Wow thats great fuel economy. I got 399kms from my Escape today and then the fuel light came on lol

Old 01-03-2017, 08:59 PM   #16
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Wow thats great fuel economy. I got 399kms from my Escape today and then the fuel light came on lol
Flog it off ASAP

The X-Trail will sustain 4.5L/100km on the highway with aircon at or around the speed limit. I'm planning to take it to Sydney and see how much is left in the tank after the journey.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:03 PM   #17
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Flog it off ASAP

The X-Trail will sustain 4.5L/100km on the highway with aircon at or around the speed limit. I'm planning to take it to Sydney and see how much is left in the tank after the journey.
Haha I drive my XR6Turbo to save money on fuel, it gets 400kms to a tank lol.

But seriously thats super impressive fuel economy. I do about 300-500kms most weekends in the Escape. Sounds like the your XTRAIL would be perfect weekend adventure vehicle

Old 01-03-2017, 09:13 PM   #18
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Haha I drive my XR6Turbo to save money on fuel, it gets 400kms to a tank lol.

But seriously thats super impressive fuel economy. I do about 300-500kms most weekends in the Escape. Sounds like the your XTRAIL would be perfect weekend adventure vehicle
Drive one and see for yourself. The only thing with buying a new one right now is you'll probably be paying full RRP or thereabouts (approx $40k right now).

Old 01-03-2017, 09:19 PM   #19
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Drive one and see for yourself. The only thing with buying a new one right now is you'll probably be paying full RRP or thereabouts (approx $40k right now).
Oh did you get a runout plate model?

Old 01-03-2017, 09:24 PM   #20
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Oh did you get a runout plate model?
Haha funny story. Someone had ordered a black diesel X-Trail in February last year and their finance was knocked back. The dealer however had already placed the order thinking the approval was merely a formality. So when we were looking, it turned up for a reasonable price (Jan 2016 build). With haggling, it became a ripper deal and got the extended warranty (3 years and 100,000km on top of the factory warranty) for peanuts.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:30 PM   #21
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Haha funny story. Someone had ordered a black diesel X-Trail in February last year and their finance was knocked back. The dealer however had already placed the order thinking the approval was merely a formality. So when we were looking, it turned up for a reasonable price (Jan 2016 build). With haggling, it became a ripper deal and got the extended warranty (3 years and 100,000km on top of the factory warranty) for peanuts.
Thats a super deal, to good to refuse.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:11 AM   #22
IanC

About 85% of new vehicles now are autos of one sort or another. Lots of drivers only have an auto licence so when the time comes to trade it it is going to be hard to shift. You are not going to get good resale on a manual Mind you I have heard people say that manuals are less likely to be stolen because the thieves don't know how to drive them.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2017, 12:22 AM   #23
rijruna

Go the Manual. IMO autos are for pussies, the very elderly, or ppl with a body that wont let them drive a manual. Basicly its like this, your very lazy to prefer an auto. You ever tried to roll start one? Good luckwith that. Long distance driving an auto almost sent me to sleep as l wasnt as in-touch with the vehicle as you should be. Another thing, a manual makes it less likely for someone to fiddle with a phone.
Guess uv gathered l dont like em huh?
(End rant)
Cheers
Rij
rijruna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2017, 07:21 AM   #24
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijruna View Post
Go the Manual. IMO autos are for pussies, the very elderly, or ppl with a body that wont let them drive a manual. Basicly its like this, your very lazy to prefer an auto. You ever tried to roll start one? Good luckwith that. Long distance driving an auto almost sent me to sleep as l wasnt as in-touch with the vehicle as you should be. Another thing, a manual makes it less likely for someone to fiddle with a phone.
Guess uv gathered l dont like em huh?
(End rant)
Cheers
Rij
I'm surprised you didn't manage to fit in more bigotry.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2017, 07:24 AM   #25
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Toyota CVTs arnt bad, and I could live with one if I had to

The Mitsubishi and Nissan ones are still pretty awful.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2017, 08:12 AM   #26
frankie86
Sprinting Everywhere!

We have a old 09 mitsubishi colt at work with a cvt auto in it believe it or not that car has 340,000 kays on it and the box is still going, always has fluid changes every 80k since new, would i own one? Heck no noisy as and as far as driving experience goes that gearbox just ruins it, I'd go a manual
frankie86 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2017, 08:47 AM   #27
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
Toyota CVTs arnt bad, and I could live with one if I had to.
I hired a Corolla at Uluru, drove to Kings Canyon and back, averaged 4.7l/100, (but this is not really average world driving.)
After handing it back, I was very surprised to find it was a CVT, would never have picked it, I thought it was a 6 speed auto, very quiet and smooth..
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2017, 08:53 AM   #28
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

is it solely and A-B car or do you enjoy being behind the wheel?
i have only driven 1 CVT car (Toyota Vitz) and it just felt like the auto was slipping the whole time, apart from that it went ok
personally i wouldn't get one as i prefer driving a car not just steering a car
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2017, 08:54 AM   #29
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The diesel manual XTrail sounds like it would be awesome. In your shoes I would take manual diesel or petrol.

I only really like autos in 6 cylinder cars or diesels. With a 4 cylinder petrol your not having precious torque wasted getting an auto torque converter to swish fluid around to get the impeller going. Plus a manual is simply a more enjoyable driving experience. Even if your are in a lazy mood modern manuals are dead easy to drive.

I have a CVT XTrail and it's a good box and very clever - always in the perfect 'gear' especially when going downhill or in corners. I suspect it takes into account steering input, braking and some kind of g-force thingo to take into account slope but I haven't investigated it.

It's also pretty good on fuel we are averaging high 8s in heavy traffic suburban/city driving.

Last edited by Brazen; 02-03-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2017, 09:21 AM   #30
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
Toyota CVTs arnt bad, and I could live with one if I had to

The Mitsubishi and Nissan ones are still pretty awful.
I agree... My wife has a Mitsubishi ASX, and the CVT is noisy.
Its a weird sensation, as it feels like its always in one gear, and acceleration is poor. It feels like it is always in a gear lower than what it should be.

But then again after you've driven a Falcon with the fantastic ZF auto, every other auto trans feels sub par.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post