Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 24-07-2007, 06:44 PM   #1
minfanti2
Starter Motor

Default EL Fuel Economy??

Hello,
I own an EL Ford Fairmont and do only city driving. I do not drive harshly and I am only getting about 380km from a tank of fuel.
I recently had a major service which included changing the air filter but the fuel efficiency has not improved.
Is this fuel useage normal?
Do any other EL owners get this kind of consumption?
I'd really appreciate any advice on how I can improve the fuel economy of my EL.

Cheers

minfanti2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2007, 07:08 PM   #2
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Unfortunately the answer to your question is pretty much 'yes', at least based on my experience (EF sedan, so effectively same drivetrain and car). If you are doing only city work at less than 60 km/h, with lots of stop/start stuff with lights etc. than about 400 km for a tank is likely (that's about 60 litres, so just into reserve).

Since i got my car i have logged all fuel consumption data (well i got lazy and missed a couple!), so basically have 8 months of data (or about 20 fills). I have it split up into periods of fuel used, average speed of driving, total k's covered per period etc. (because clearly i am a nerd!)

I average around 12L/100 km, which would give you just under 500 km with reserve, or 560 km with every last drop. But that is for an average of only 28% below 50 km/h. In general i do about 35% of my driving above about 70km/h, and 65% below that. The type of driving you do makes the biggest difference, then whether or not your car is running properly, and lastly how heavy you are with the throttle.

My worst ever result is 15.3 l/100 km, where i drove 75% below 70 km/h, and really caned it a bit too much, my best was 9.9 l/100km, when i drove on a stretch of the highway from cairns to brisbane, and about 90% was done between 100-120 km/h.

Anyway, hope this helps you.
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2007, 07:15 PM   #3
devilracer_01
Sleeping Beast

Im getting around 450-500km's out of a tank.
devilracer_01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2007, 07:18 PM   #4
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

No, its just the EF/EL models, my dad had a fairmont and struggled to get 400 out of a tank, and my dodgy Manual GLi is worse, im lucky to get about 380 from a tank
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2007, 07:20 PM   #5
daz82
In the family since 1996

For my EF, i do 80% stop start freeway/city and suburban roads, the other 20% is hwy and flowing freeway. i get around 400-550kms out of a tank depending on how much i floor it to hear my exhaust hehehe.

i recently moved house and was towing and lugging loads around for a week and still got 400kms out of a tank
daz82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2007, 11:41 PM   #6
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

For only city driving I'd say that's normal consumption, or possibly a bit better than normal. While they can be pretty efficient on freeway driving, our old falcons generally aren't that great for predominantly city driving.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2007, 11:54 PM   #7
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Sounds about right, my EL Ghia (in sig) gets about that... My average going by the trip computer is 12.5, which im happy with.
I only get 340ish K's from the XD (in sig also)
You cant expect it to 'run on the smell of an oily rag' after all, its a big car...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 12:49 AM   #8
BaYa
Just Cruzing

yeah sounds about right i drive from sunbury to tullamarine everyday and a few other places and i only get about 500kms to a tank to my EL XR6.Also depend on how i drive to :P Makes me miss my duel fuel EB.

MOD'S
Herrod Extractors & Redback exhaust
lowered
Au xr6 rims

Successful Trades with:BradensEBxr6, snypereb, EDXR6T, ORSMF6
Old 25-07-2007, 08:04 AM   #9
devilracer_01
Sleeping Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaYa
yeah sounds about right i drive from sunbury to tullamarine everyday and a few other places and i only get about 500kms to a tank to my EL XR6.Also depend on how i drive to :P Makes me miss my duel fuel EB.
Mine basically does the same sort of driving (work at Melbourne Airport) so I think thats why we both tend to get that bit extra k's out of a tank of fuel.
Old 25-07-2007, 12:30 PM   #10
metalhead_mike

my nl fairlane gets 480 out of a tank with about 3 litres left, i dont drive fast but i dont exactly drive like a granny either thats with half highway half about town driving
metalhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 01:09 PM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Crushing isn't it, yet get it on open roads and its just as good as smaller cars.

Personally your nuts driving an e series that not on LPG if you are doing 90% city driving. Its taking off thats the killer, once you get going its not to bad.

As for improving economy, tried a new oxygen sensor? Is the TB etc all clean? Also brings up a good reason to get a better exhaust system, it will help a little.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 03:50 PM   #12
devilracer_01
Sleeping Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Crushing isn't it, yet get it on open roads and its just as good as smaller cars.

Personally your nuts driving an e series that not on LPG if you are doing 90% city driving. Its taking off thats the killer, once you get going its not to bad.

As for improving economy, tried a new oxygen sensor? Is the TB etc all clean? Also brings up a good reason to get a better exhaust system, it will help a little.
Decent air filter also help????
Old 25-07-2007, 05:15 PM   #13
crannersEL
Banned

Mines sitting on about 16ltrs per 100k's atm and im getting about 350-400K's per tank, but i dont drive it till empty so that also needs to be taken into account.

My fuel eco was really bad about 10 months ago, got the car put on the computer at my mechanic and it was found that my o2 and temp sesors were up the creek, replaced them and a new set of plugs and a big improvement was noticed.

Mind you this was the same period that i did a headgasket too........
crannersEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 09:16 PM   #14
trendact
Starter Motor

My EBII wagan gives me 420 around town and our ED Fairmont does a bit better. May keep my EB then if the EL is harder on fuel. Both cars give well over 550 on a highway run.

WANTED: All Original EB, ED, EF or EL XR6 wagon
trendact is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2007, 11:46 PM   #15
Bi66uy

Mines getting roughly 450-550, by the reader i'm on 14L/100km. I have been able to get about 600 out of it.
Redback 2.5inch Exhaust
Wade 1636 Cam
K&N Filter
SS Air Induction Kit
Capa Eliminator Chip - Tuned by H.P.T
144.1kw
Bi66uy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2007, 12:13 AM   #16
FlappyMacNaps
Starter Motor

my computer says 12.7, that's 150kms since ecu reset. Suburban driving, some hwy, plenty of lights, grrr.

EL Fairmont: new rotor, discap, k+n panel, Larger snorkel (auxr8?), 205k on the clock, running Vortex 95.
FlappyMacNaps is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post