Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-04-2018, 01:08 PM   #1
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Repco Rip Off

I was quoted $178 each for Fuelmiser brand O2 sensor from Repco today. I need two as I have a V8 so they expected me to pay $360 for a generic chinese made sensor? I ordered 2 x Bosch 4 pin O2 sensors from an Australian supplier online for a total price of $107 delivered. I refer buying from local businesses but I simply do not earn enough money to throw away $253. Whats the story Repco?
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2018, 01:13 PM   #2
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Repco Rip Off

Rip Every Poor C... Off
Old 19-04-2018, 01:19 PM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
I was quoted $178 each for Fuelmiser brand O2 sensor from Repco today. I need two as I have a V8 so they expected me to pay $360 for a generic chinese made sensor? I ordered 2 x Bosch 4 pin O2 sensors from an Australian supplier online for a total price of $107 delivered. I refer buying from local businesses but I simply do not earn enough money to throw away $253. Whats the story Repco?
They will price match if you ask....but yeah, I avoid them unless they're the only place that stocks the thing I need and I need it now (I use ebay otherwise). They do give 10% off for NRMA members (and perhaps other motoring bodies in other states). Still doesn't bring their prices down to a competitive level - in fact, I have found that the days they have their 30% sales is the only time they come within cooee of matching Autobarn/Supercheap price....
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2018, 01:52 PM   #4
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Repco wont price match anything off Ebay, only physical + online shops afaik but will price match Sparesbox for example which they are both online & have a Ebay store anyway lol.

I did the above & a got a very good discount from my local Repco happily.

No way I'll pay full retail when you know cheaper prices are available at the same time, just got to look for them.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2018, 02:00 PM   #5
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Whats the story Repco?
Its been the same story for years, surprised they are still operating, the company has been sold a few times I believe
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2018, 02:30 PM   #6
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Jackaroo alternator $400 at Repco. My brother bought one online for $127 with warranty.
Old 19-04-2018, 02:41 PM   #7
Kil4Collingwood

Go into my local repco for front hubs for my BF, $120 each "on special".
Got genuine ford hubs a hell of alot cheaper than that, it has always been the same with them.
I only go there if I need it urgently.
Kil4Collingwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2018, 02:50 PM   #8
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I notice that a lot of people buy off e-bay as I do. do you find the new search function a pain in the rear? I cant seem to find anything without a drama now.
Old 19-04-2018, 02:55 PM   #9
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fuelmiser items, in my experience, always cost a bucket.
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2018, 03:44 PM   #10
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Its been the same story for years, surprised they are still operating, the company has been sold a few times I believe
They have no problem operating due to their USA owners that have a small spare parts Distribution business :
This group consists of 61 NAPA Distribution Centers in the United States serving approximately 6,000 NAPA AUTO PARTS Stores including 1,000 company owned stores. Clean, modern, organized stores appeal to do-it-yourself retail customers as well as automotive professionals.

I'm sure some had noticed in Bris, actually the ol Autobarn in Logan City turned into a NAPA store.

and here's the Asia Pacific arm :
http://gpcasiapac.com/
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-04-2018, 04:34 PM   #11
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Repco wont price match anything off Ebay, only physical + online shops afaik but will price match Sparesbox for example which they are both online & have a Ebay store anyway lol.
Wouldn't be hard as Sparesbox are not cheap
Old 19-04-2018, 04:58 PM   #12
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Wouldn't be hard as Sparesbox are not cheap
I hear you mate, i got my air filter for my AU near 1/2 price though.

For other parts yep true, just depends on whats the going price at the time.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 19-04-2018, 05:33 PM   #13
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Believe me, the few repco staff left who still give a damn are getting more and more frustrated by the management incompetence they have to take the heat for....
Old 19-04-2018, 05:53 PM   #14
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes it’s annoying how everything is double the price at Repco.

The only benefit I see is that they almost always have the part I need in stock. However, if it’s a non urgent part I’ll order elsewhere. If I need it that day I can almost always count on repco.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2018, 07:25 PM   #15
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiers View Post
I notice that a lot of people buy off e-bay as I do. do you find the new search function a pain in the rear? I cant seem to find anything without a drama now.
Washing machine stopped a few weeks back and needed new motor brushes. After ringing every single local washing machine place for help (literally), I jumped on eBay and bought the brushes for $15.
One local joint said ya need to buy the entire motor as they don’t sell the brushes for it separately! Anyway brushes took 20 min to install and she’s a newbie again. Thanks eBay.
I couldn’t find the part straight away though either - ended up emailing a place that sold brushes and they sorted what I needed.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2018, 07:26 PM   #16
zabatron

They should change their name to Ripco.
zabatron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2018, 07:42 PM   #17
TICKFORD220
2009 Fg xr6 turbo

They are an emergency sunday parts store when you need parts desperately,other than that they are a deadest rip off,like its been said before,rip every poor c### off
TICKFORD220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2018, 08:05 PM   #18
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TICKFORD220 View Post
They are an emergency sunday parts store when you need parts desperately,other than that they are a deadest rip off,like its been said before,rip every poor c### off
Not wrong there, but so often, what I want is not in stock anyway like today, no boots for the steering rack and the one used on many Falcons is also used on Mazda, Holden & other makes.
Old 19-04-2018, 08:12 PM   #19
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Yes it’s annoying how everything is double the price at Repco.

The only benefit I see is that they almost always have the part I need in stock. However, if it’s a non urgent part I’ll order elsewhere. If I need it that day I can almost always count on repco.
I have rarely experienced stock of the parts I have needed & I drive a Falcon which is pretty generic. I have O2 sensors coming in the post, Bosch 4 pin X 2 for $107 delivered or I could have ordered them in through a North Parramatta Repco for $360 for the pair and they had no steering rack boots in stock either. No better next door at SCA, maybe a slight price diff but nil stock as well.
Old 19-04-2018, 08:23 PM   #20
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Not wrong there, but so often, what I want is not in stock anyway like today, no boots for the steering rack and the one used on many Falcons is also used on Mazda, Holden & other makes.
They didnt have my certain vct spark plugs in stock also when i was there at my local store lately, which i thought was unusual.

The handed my missus normal NGK plugs for a i6 AU Falcon but i had to send her back as they were the wrong ones.

cheers, Maka

Old 19-04-2018, 08:45 PM   #21
XC50077
Drive'n Cruise'n Live'n

Rang Repco North Parramatta last sat morn for a NTK oxy sensor for my AU2 I6. Young guy says in stock and $89 as it's on special reduced from $110. They only had the one but it is the same used in the AU V8 Windsor. NTK Part OZA687-D2. I find in that branch all the staff are quite helpful, pleasant and courteous and quite often parts are ex stock or they offer to get them same day or available from another branch. I usually buy when they are on sale but sometimes you got to have them ASAP. Cheers

P.S. I had the boots replaced on the AU2 I6 about 18months ago and no leaks although they told me to keep an eye on it. That was 25k ago and now 176k on the clock.
XC50077 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2018, 09:03 PM   #22
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Needed a HSV transmission filter. $136 at REPCO, or $36 online haha

BUT, they did stock it, which most other auto shops didn’t.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2018, 10:39 PM   #23
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Mind you I asked my local Suzuki dealer for a price on an O2 sensor for a 2004 Ignis. The guy came back and apologised and said over $400. I got one in 2 days from a guy in WA delivered to my door for $70. If it ain't heavy Ebay is your friend.
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2018, 11:34 PM   #24
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I dont go to any of the parts stores unless its just for oil, they either dont have it in stock and want to charge you for freight to get it or the staff are clueless or try to rip you off.

I jump on Ebay and go straight to Adelaide Parts which a Stillwell Ford warehouse outlet and buy genuine for quite often less than in those aftermarket stores.
Then i make the 25 minute drive down and get it same day.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-04-2018, 01:14 AM   #25
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I dont go to any of the parts stores unless its just for oil, they either dont have it in stock and want to charge you for freight to get it or the staff are clueless or try to rip you off.

I jump on Ebay and go straight to Adelaide Parts which a Stillwell Ford warehouse outlet and buy genuine for quite often less than in those aftermarket stores.
Then i make the 25 minute drive down and get it same day.
Yeah, I know Darren at Adelaide Parts, he has helped me plenty & knows his stuff.
Old 20-04-2018, 08:24 AM   #26
Nailz

Had same thing few days ago. Needed territory front drive shaft. $275 from Repco. Checked ebay saw then at $110.
Then rang Bursons and they told me$130. in stock. Walked out out of repco. Told the guy what price they game me and he said might as well go there. Couldnt match it.

Best thing was Bursons was only about a 30 sec drive in the same complex.
Told the guy at the counter and he says. That's why we got the sale.
Sure was. When rrp was $275. Repco didnt even try to knock any off.
Nailz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-04-2018, 10:49 AM   #27
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

TBH its great there is still options.
Either in store or on the web.
I'm no web buyer whatsoever, could be ripping myself off a little but as long as you do your homework shop around I far prefer buying "local" in case of fitment problem/wrong part in box/or a possible WTY issue to occur down the track in these case's I can deal locally etcetcetc....
Price difference is one thing but what of the quality when parts are $100 and more difference. Thats what I find out first up.
I'm no repco customer and never have been - deal with other independents but more so at least some behind the counter still have experience compared to so many others lacking today.
So as long as your happy its all good but the forum itself is great for help guidance and where to buy.
3 users like this post:
Old 20-04-2018, 11:36 AM   #28
Lugh

I walked in there once to buy an engine mount for my old Landcruiser. Can't remember the exact figures, but he rang it up and said "That'll be $***.**."
Out of pure shock I said "No it won't."
He said "Yeah, alright" and gave it to me for less than half price.
They have massive margins and seem to leave plenty of room for discounting if you push them.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-04-2018, 12:28 PM   #29
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This extract is taken from the Financial Review March 30 2017.

American car and industrial replacement parts giant Genuine Parts Company is poised to bolster its Australian portfolio with the acquisition of a family-owned original equipment manufacturer.
Street Talk can reveal Genuine Parts Company's local arm, GPC Asia Pacific, has agreed to buy Inenco Group which is a supplier of ball bearings, nuts and bolts, pulleys, sprockets and all other sorts of industrial parts.
GPC Asia Pacific is expected to take the business off the Sydney-based Martin-Weber family as early as Friday.
Sources said GPC had agreed to take a 35 per cent stake in Inenco, with an agreement to acquire the rest of the company in coming years based on future earnings.
Greenhill Australia and Allen & Overy advised Inenco.
Inenco was founded by the Martin-Webers in the 1950s and has grown to more than 1300 employees across 20-odd different companies and 160 branches, recently moving into Asia.
The acquisition is likely to mirror GPC Asia Pacific's other major Australian asset, car parts retailer Repco.
GPC Asia Pacific bought Repco in 2013, taking the company from private equity funds advised by CCMP Capital Asia. [Of course Repco was listed on the ASX until February 2007 when CCMP bought the company for about $350 million].
And just as GPC Asia Pacific was attracted to Repco as the market leader in car parts, so too is it keen to take the market leader in the Australian distribution market.
Interestingly, Inenco is chaired by Kevin Clark, who was formerly chief executive officer of Alesco Corporation nad run by former Chubb executive Roger Jowett. Martin-Weber family representatives, including Mitchel and Karl Martin Weber, are also on the board, along with former Coates Hire group counsel Andrew Vlachos and Indonesia-based Sammy Hamzah.
Genuine Parts Company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange and has a $US13.8 billion ($18 billion) market capitalisation. The company was due to report its first quarter earnings on Thursday night, Australian time. It had $US15.3 billion sales and $US687 million profit in the 2016 financial year.
Old 20-04-2018, 01:52 PM   #30
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Cheers Rooster.
This has been going on, buy outs of resource and local competitors between GPC and Burson Grp for the last 5yrs and more.
Look up Bapcor, you''ll be amazed how many local companies they have bought in the Aftermarket industry.
This has turned out just as the supermarket duopoly pretty much.
Then theres Supercheap doing their thing and we have less and less Independents for between GPC and Burson they have bought out many Independents around the country, if one doesn't sell they open a store up near them.
2 users like this post: