Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-12-2021, 10:08 AM   #1
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Attn Tech-Dudes - Good Tablet for Procreate

Looking to take advantage of Boxing Day sales to get teenage daughter a tablet suitable for drawing (good for using Procreate or similar apps).

Have no idea about this stuff - don't want to rely on the advice of sales reps that will push whatever they want to move, and also don't want to over-invest on stuff she won't need - so anyone know about such things and can recommend good bang-for-buck options or able to give me minimum specs or features to look for?

Much appreciated in advance, and Merry Christmas forum peeps.
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2021, 11:37 AM   #2
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Attn Tech-Dudes - Good Tablet for Procreate

Saw your post and thought I'd have a bit of a look as I was just going through the JB catalogue.

If this is a surprise you might have to let your daughter in on it. It appears Procreate is only available for Apple devices. So you might need to find out exactly what apps she wants to use to draw with which will determine what you want to buy.

If Procreate is her thing then your stuck with Apple. And there is nothing wrong with that, specially if your an Apple fan (I am not), as there will be plenty of other drawing apps available.

But it just means your stuck with Apple prices and all that comes it it. $$$ wise it would mean the cheapest tablet is $500 plus the price of the pencil.

Quick look at the reviews for Procreate and most I read point to the IPad Air as being the best all rounder, but your at $900 for that.

https://procreate.art/faq

Android wise, I bought Dad an S6 Lite for Christmas last year. Comes with plenty of RAM, 128Gb storage, nice bright screen and a Pen. If you sign up and buy it direct from Samsung they give you a $50 off voucher for your first purchase, even off the sale price, which will always be the same as what the stores are at the moment. Express Post is included.

Dad is a jeweller and he does basic drawing with it when he wants and he seems to be happy with what it does, although he far from works it hard.

Just remember not all tablets support pens. Some tablets you have to pay extra for the pen too. Cheaper tablets tend to use IPS LCD screens which aren't very bright and have very low contrast, which may not be good for drawing. Android tablets you need to pay attention to decent levels of RAM and storage, although they usually come with SD card slots. Android tablets are very much like computers and laptops, you get what you pay for and cheap stuff can be very sluggish.

Good luck with it and Merry Christmas.
arm79 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-12-2021, 11:59 AM   #3
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

What brand of phone does she have. If it's an iphone then I'd go with the apple ipad for drawing.

I use nothing but Apple for all my computing and it all plays well together and I never have to think about the tech, it just all works.
Old 25-12-2021, 12:14 PM   #4
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys - she has a Samsung phone. She's been hinting at tablet all month so she is about to receive a heap of JB HiFi vouchers from uncles and aunts at Christmas lunch with extended family (and then we'll make up the difference). Does not need be Procreate specifically - any drawing app is fine as it is just something she wants to do (not has to do, it's just an interest), and is just for drawing and not animation as I am told there is big difference.

Thanks again guys, input very much appreciated
Old 25-12-2021, 12:41 PM   #5
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My mates 2 daughters are big on this stuff.
From what I picked up, the drawing led to animation and also video editing so maybe consider what the tablet can do in the future also.
Love the creativity.....not all kids staring at a screen are wasting away the hours with nothing to show for it
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2021, 01:05 PM   #6
.:4:.
Kicking back

This may sound dumb, or maybe not. But, you dont need to spend the extra on a 5g capable tablet for your daughter if she has a phone and theres wifi at home. If she's out and about, she can tether the tab to her phone if need be. If she has a phone she probably doesnt leave the house without it. My son has a wifi only tab and a phone with a data allowance and it works fine for him. Wifi only tabs are cheaper, and saving on an extra mobile plan also saves money.
So no advice from me on which tab is best for artistic duties. My kid has a samsung phone and a samsung tablet thats maybe 2 years old. From my perspective, atleast they use the same charger cord so thats a convenience.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2021, 01:09 PM   #7
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
This may sound dumb, or maybe not. But, you dont need to spend the extra on a 5g capable tablet for your daughter if she has a phone and theres wifi at home. If she's out and about, she can tether the tab to her phone if need be. If she has a phone she probably doesnt leave the house without it.
Not dumb to mention. Sales people try to push the 4G/5G connection onto unsuspecting buyers along with an ongoing data plan. Big business overall for them in ongoing commissions.

Most people get turned off at the extra $150 to $200 for an equivalent 4G device anyways.

But it doesn't hurt to be aware.
Old 25-12-2021, 01:23 PM   #8
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79 View Post
Not dumb to mention. Sales people try to push the 4G/5G connection onto unsuspecting buyers along with an ongoing data plan. Big business overall for them in ongoing commissions.

Most people get turned off at the extra $150 to $200 for an equivalent 4G device anyways.

So realistically it adds to the budget. Well, not really, but to fit the budget you get a better gadget because you dont pay for the stuff you dont actually need.
Why pay for 2 plans if you can getaway with 1?
Old 25-12-2021, 02:15 PM   #9
leesa

Back in my day "tablet" had a different meaning and wacom were the tablet of choice. They're just a drawing tablet as opposed to an ipad-style do-everything tablet but they're a reliable brand as far as I know. There are so many more advanced options now but mine is 15-20 years old and still going, so they do seem to make a reliable product.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2021, 02:51 PM   #10
Blue Dog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79 View Post

Doesn't hurt to be aware 3G is coming to an end in June 2024.
Blue Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2021, 04:21 PM   #11
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a sick mind.. tablet for procreate (I thought nice way of saying) ways of increasing the human population.
sorry
Old 25-12-2021, 07:03 PM   #12
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
I have a sick mind.. tablet for procreate (I thought nice way of saying) ways of increasing the human population.
sorry
Well... There always has to be someone in the crowd. And they rarely disappoint.
Old 25-12-2021, 11:53 PM   #13
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
sorry
oh dont worry, you're not robinson crusoe!
Old 25-12-2021, 11:58 PM   #14
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
oh dont worry, you're not robinson crusoe!
Yeah i interpreted the thread title incorrect also, but its not the case, now im on an tangent.
Old 26-12-2021, 12:03 PM   #15
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I not only need a tablet to procreate, I also need advice from a tech dude too
Old 26-12-2021, 12:41 PM   #16
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post
I not only need a tablet to procreate, I also need advice from a tech dude too
Do 2 searches. First, find out what design software is availabe and what you reckon will suit your daughter best. Then, you should be able to work out what platform it runs on and the minimum spec of a tab to work it. So obviously you wont be getting the minimal spec tab, but then you can do the shopping thing and see whats available. For design work, one thing i would recomend is make sure it either comes with or is compatible with a pen thing. I dunno the proper term for them, but my Samsung phone has an s pen. My old samsung tablet also had one. In both cases they slide into the device so you dont lose them.
I dont use the pen on my phone, i did on the tablet but that was for signatures on work invoices so much less squiggly then asking a client to use their finger.