Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 10:56 PM   #1
ozfast
Regular Member
 
ozfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ADELAIDE
Posts: 490
Default 2010 petrol mondeo inertia switch

cousin has a drama starting her mondeo,turns over but wont fire up,do they have an inertia switch(fuel cut off in the event of an accident) that could be possibly be activated? if they do where is it,TIA

Last edited by ozfast; 02-05-2014 at 11:06 PM.
ozfast is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2014, 08:43 AM   #2
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 610
Default Re: 2010 petrol mondeo inertia switch

Hi Ozfast,

The manual says the diesel has one, and I would expect the petrol engine cars do too. (But I just went looking and could not find one )
Boy I wish the manufacturer's would use common terms rather than the trade name. They say the Duratec (petrol?) engine cars have one located where I described but the diesel engine (Duratorq?) cars don't (I wonder why?)

It's located towards the top of the passenger's side kick plate forward of the front door leading edge.

The switch is raised when triggered. Our owners manual it suggests putting the ignition key to the 0 (off) position and check for fuel leaks, if no leaks reset the switch by pushing in. Then turn to position II (Ignition on) for a few seconds (should pressure the fuel rail) then back to position I (ancillaries) recheck for leaks. If no leaks then attempt a start.

Good luck
Cheers
__________________
AlanD


Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red


Last edited by AlanD; 03-05-2014 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Clarification
AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2014, 02:09 PM   #3
ozfast
Regular Member
 
ozfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ADELAIDE
Posts: 490
Default Re: 2010 petrol mondeo inertia switch

thanks Alan, his switch cannot be found and the manual says the exact thing yours did, I've read that there is a fuel filter in the tank that can be clogged also but withoiut a workshop manual its hard to know where to start ,have suggested to get it towed to their local ford service centre and let them diagnose, told them to brace themselves as the fuel pump is roughly $600 :(
ozfast is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #4
yelpir
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 45
Default Re: 2010 petrol mondeo inertia switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozfast View Post
cousin has a drama starting her mondeo,turns over but wont fire up,do they have an inertia switch(fuel cut off in the event of an accident) that could be possibly be activated? if they do where is it,TIA
Have you checked the battery? Mine did the same yesterday and had to get RA to jump-start it for me. The chap was initially adamant that it wasn't the battery but I knew better as this was the second time this has happened. Dead or dying battery does some weird things in Mondeo.
yelpir is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2014, 11:19 PM   #5
ozfast
Regular Member
 
ozfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ADELAIDE
Posts: 490
Default Re: 2010 petrol mondeo inertia switch

car spins over freely but wont fire,she charged it up just to be certain but still no go,all roads are leading to the fuel pump,a costly exercise I think
ozfast is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2019, 03:34 PM   #6
KerryW
Starter Motor
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 4
Default Re: 2010 petrol mondeo inertia switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozfast View Post
car spins over freely but wont fire,she charged it up just to be certain but still no go,all roads are leading to the fuel pump,a costly exercise I think

Hi, my car is intermittently doing the same. Do you recall what your cousin did to fix the car? So far 5 mechanic trips haven't found the cause of the problem.
KerryW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2019, 02:36 AM   #7
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!
 
cobrin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: FNQ - no I'm not swearing
Posts: 730
Default Re: 2010 petrol mondeo inertia switch

Step 1. Try and start it in Neutral, thinking in gear selector.

Step 2. Find out if it has fuel pressure, obd adaptor?
If it does have fuel pressure then it's not the fuel pump. When were the last time the fuel filter were renewed? check the EFI fuse? fuel pump relay...

Check the engine controls that may hamper start up:
CAM sensor
CAS sensor
Injector - ecu controls it?!?

that's all I got Kerry this time of the night lol
__________________
2009 MB Mondeo Zetec TDCI
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2019, 07:33 PM   #8
KerryW
Starter Motor
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 4
Default Re: 2010 petrol mondeo inertia switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrin View Post
Step 1. Try and start it in Neutral, thinking in gear selector.

Step 2. Find out if it has fuel pressure, obd adaptor?
If it does have fuel pressure then it's not the fuel pump. When were the last time the fuel filter were renewed? check the EFI fuse? fuel pump relay...

Check the engine controls that may hamper start up:
CAM sensor
CAS sensor
Injector - ecu controls it?!?

that's all I got Kerry this time of the night lol

Thanks Cobrin


I'm currently compiling information and possible things to try. It started last Thursday after almost a week of not starting and I was able to get it home. I've tried to start it twice since then and it has worked both times. Still not game to actually take it anywhere in case it stops again.


When it fails to start, I have tried starting it in neutral and park. I've also tried to start it with my foot on the accelerator as the mechanic suggested.


I've seen advice to turn the key on and off 5 times before starting to test for compression. I haven't tried this yet though.


The mechanic did say he could hear the fuel pump working and the one I have is (apparently) new but I don't know if the filters were changed. The dealer took care of changing the filter and I don't have a report of what was done.


I'm also keeping a log of starting attempts to see if it is temperature related since it has been suggested that it could be the immobiliser or I may need to replace the ignition system. So far I seem to have more success with the car when it's warm but not enough data to say for certain.



The intermittent nature of the fault is possibly the most troubling. Whatever is causing it isn't completely broken and nothing shows up on the tests. The dealer has had it back 3 times, it spent a week with an auto electrician with no problems and then I had a mobile mechanic out to check it when it wouldn't start and he couldn't find the problem either.


Steep learning curve ahead for me
KerryW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2019, 11:10 AM   #9
Blade007
Starter Motor
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1
Default Re: 2010 petrol mondeo inertia switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryW View Post

The intermittent nature of the fault is possibly the most troubling. Whatever is causing it isn't completely broken and nothing shows up on the tests. The dealer has had it back 3 times, it spent a week with an auto electrician with no problems and then I had a mobile mechanic out to check it when it wouldn't start and he couldn't find the problem either.


Steep learning curve ahead for me
Have you found the issue? Mine died recently, and the RAC reckoned it was the fuel pump. I'm about to book it in to get it replaced, but now you've got me worried it could be something simpler like the fuel filter...
Blade007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2019, 11:46 AM   #10
KerryW
Starter Motor
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 4
Default Re: 2010 petrol mondeo inertia switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade007 View Post
Have you found the issue? Mine died recently, and the RAC reckoned it was the fuel pump. I'm about to book it in to get it replaced, but now you've got me worried it could be something simpler like the fuel filter...
It was the fuel pump. The dealer I bought the car from was lying to me about replacing it. Technically it was the harness so make sure they change that as well.

Cost me $1200 but half of that was labour and they replaced a gasket as well.
KerryW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +11. The time now is 11:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Other than what is legally copyrighted by the respective owners, this site is copyright www.fordforums.com.au
Positive SSL