Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-09-2021, 01:14 PM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default JH Cruze DPF Questions

Does anyone here (perchance Dr Terry?) know the load (blockage) threshold triggers for DPF warning light and then limp mode? Having an argument with someone I think has bjorked their engine.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-09-2021, 06:32 PM   #2
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: JH Cruze DPF Questions

Ran a Snap-On tool across the car, no present faults and no historical ones.

Did a DPF regen and it showed 41% soot at the beginning, I shut it down at 0%. The regen cycle on this tool didn’t “feel” good, it was a bit simple/robotic (you set it off, then it just kept going) and surprised me with no idle-down or automated cycle close.

With the driver’s reports of the DPF warning light being on “for a couple of months” and a recent limp mode event, I was expecting much more soot blockage.

Off for 48H, will see if anyone has thoughts on it by then.
Old 20-09-2021, 07:14 PM   #3
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Citroenbender.

Diesel is outside my area of expertise, but try these guys. They know more about DPF stuff than anybody I know of.

https://www.dpfcleaning.com.au

Regards Dr Terry
Dr Terry is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2021, 10:47 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

There's always the faithful Italian tuneup, I cleaned out a DPF really nicely on a Mazda CX7 with DPF dramas, thanks to the nearby mountain and my right foot.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-09-2021, 01:00 AM   #5
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
There's always the faithful Italian tuneup
I was told back in the day Kellow Falkiner in South Yarra had the Special Tune for the V12 Daimlers and Jaguars.
The Doctors etc would complain about the car not running right.
The service advisor would tell the customer don't worry we will do the Special Tune.
I believe the route taken involved a very heavy right foot along the SE Freeway as it was known between Punt and Toorak Rds.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2021, 08:35 PM   #6
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Cheers all.

I did find some general information that suggested many DPF yellow (amber) lights come on around 50% soot load, but could find no threshold for limp mode - which was reported in one instance recently by the driver. When I heard the car drive off yesterday it definitely sounded less wheezy - surprising as I expected no more than a placebo effect.

If the warning light reappears soon I think there are other underlying issues - the car is just a bit shy on maintenance. Diesels aren’t my thing either, the intricacies of troublesome common rail injectors terrify me.
Old 22-09-2021, 10:23 PM   #7
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
There's always the faithful Italian tuneup, I cleaned out a DPF really nicely on a Mazda CX7 with DPF dramas, thanks to the nearby mountain and my right foot.
My Parents have a Diesel Astra, & that's what they Do Once a month (or so)..!
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post