Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-08-2019, 04:38 PM   #1
mondeomatureguy

Default My Mondeo is a Freak!

Hi Folks,
First of all I am new to this room first time here.
I've followed Fords racing ever since Allan Moffat was racing his Mustang watching him as a young bloke.

My wife and I brought a New MC Mondeo in 2012 Hatchback with a Zetec 2.3 litre engine and the cars still going great.
At the time we were still living in Sydney but had a holiday house down the South Coast so we did a lot of Highway traveling.

We now live 2 hours from Sydney and still gets a lot of Highway use. its done now 289,228 Ks and goes like a trooper still.
Have replaced the Brake Rotors and Pads, Battery 5 years ago, the coolant Reservoir a few months ago due to a leak in it.

Had it serviced on time and the transmission serviced this year and got new spark plugs and that's all i.ve done to it.

cheers
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2019, 04:52 PM   #2
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: My Mondeo is a Freak!

That's longevity for you, just shows that good maintenance and long runs are good for a car.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:01 PM   #3
mondeomatureguy

Hi Jaydee 351,
yea mate it gets a good run on the Highway and I wont sell it.
What I would also like is a XR8 but that will have to wait for a whole.

I have read some very bad reviews on the Ford Mondeo but maybe I have been very lucky and just got a good one?.

My wife has a car and I have the Mondeo which is still in very good condition and I hope it can stay that way for a few more years.

cheers mate
Old 04-08-2019, 06:33 PM   #4
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondeomatureguy View Post
Hi Jaydee 351,
yea mate it gets a good run on the Highway and I wont sell it.
What I would also like is a XR8 but that will have to wait for a whole.

I have read some very bad reviews on the Ford Mondeo but maybe I have been very lucky and just got a good one?.

My wife has a car and I have the Mondeo which is still in very good condition and I hope it can stay that way for a few more years.

cheers mate
Welcome to the best Forum going around ...It has no peer in my humble opinion. Re your car . Good thing is Mondeo . Under rated many would say. Not you of course .

I think a similar thing about my AU ll falcon that I bought when it just 2 years old . Now owned it 16 years, service it every 6 months or 5000 kms and other than the power steering issue that I left for too long that caused alternator failure it's basically totally original and every other main component is certainly that and still work properly . Also got a lovely really low kilometres FG XR6 but such is the stature of the old AU , I still keep hoping that the XR6 will give me even remotely as reliable as the old girl.
I get ya how you refer to your Mondeo. She does sound like a ripper car .
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2019, 06:42 PM   #5
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

All thanks to the Mazda designed and built 2.3 engine. The Mazda designed 'L' series engines are very robust, and have a good reputation. So good in fact, Ford still use it (Ford EcoBoost) while Mazda has long stopped putting it into their vehicles.

Now that the Mazda/Ford partnership has ended (2015), Ford will be hard pressed to come up with great small capacity engines as they've had in the last 30+ years leading upto the split. Ford will dearly miss the Mazda engines that is for sure.
Tickford. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2019, 07:19 PM   #6
mondeomatureguy

Hi Roddy 1960,
thanks for your kind words mate funny you should have a Au Falcon because a few years ago I was looking at an AU XR8 four speed but we only have a one car garage and a car port also and would have no where to put the extra car.

My wife has a car also and I wouldn't put the Mondeo out in the weather so at the moment that dream of a XR8 will have to wait.

The local Ford Dealer is up the road from our place and there's been a FG XR6 Turbo for sale been there for about two months.

its got 89,316 ks on it and its $33,888. theres also a XR8 but didn't look at the price on that.

I went to my mechanic last week for new pads and a pink slip as the Mondeo is due for Rego at the end of August.

My Mechanic says :This car of yours will never die and he thinks its because all the Highway driving it does.

When my wife and I brought the Mondeo the idiot sales man says to me " its
got a sealed for life transmission (which it hasn't) and don't worry about the transmission service"

thank goodness I never took his word for it and I found the transmission dipstick myself and have had the transmission serviced a few times.

Like some reviews I have read about the Mondeo which are not too flash I have read some not too flash reviews about the AU Falcon but tell the truth I don't take much notice of reviews because every body's opinion is different any way.

cheers mate
Old 04-08-2019, 09:05 PM   #7
IanC

What sort of transmission does it have? Is it one of the dual clutch automated manuals?

I have looked at secondhand Mondeo wagons however my 2003 BA wagon has a few years left in it (hopefully).
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2019, 09:27 PM   #8
mondeomatureguy

Hi Ian,
yes it does have the dual clutch transmission where you can also drive it manual if you like.

Ive never had any trouble with the transmission as it has been serviced on time its still smooth changing when you drive.
Old 14-08-2019, 07:34 AM   #9
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pretty sure only the diesels had the dual clutch auto. Patrols were your standard 6 speed auto.
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2019, 08:04 AM   #10
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mondeos are great cars, as long as you avoid diesel most cars will give years of trouble free motoring
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2019, 07:59 PM   #11
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dual clutch in the diesel was a wet clutch, which don't have anywhere near the issues that the dry clutch ones had.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2019, 05:44 PM   #12
mondeomatureguy

Hi Folks,
my Mondeo is petrol 2.3 litre engine Zetec and I have a six speed auto and its dual clutch and if I want to I can drive it manually and I think its a wet clutch not a dry clutch but not a hundred percent on that.
Old 17-08-2019, 05:54 PM   #13
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any modern car will do 300,000 - 400,000 km with ease, as long as they're serviced properly & not driven like racecar.

It's not kms that kill a modern car, it's years. Your car is only 7 years & obviously driven & serviced accordingly.

I've got a small delivery fleet of VX to VZ V6 Commodore wagons. 2 of the VYs have now gone over the 500,000 km mark & the VZ is nearing 400,000 km. You often hear horror stories about the VZ Alloytecs, but in most cases the problem with them is either the incorrect oil or general lack of TLC.

One of our suppliers has a few Mondeos & they are getting a good run out of them. The petrol generally better than the Diesel version better in the long run.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2019, 06:11 PM   #14
mondeomatureguy

Hi Dr Terry,
My wife has a VE Commodore Station wagon with 170,000 ks on it and also hasn't had any trouble with the engine.

Your right regular maintenance is the answer all engines love clean oil.
Old 18-08-2019, 10:49 AM   #15
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondeomatureguy View Post
Hi Roddy 1960,
thanks for your kind words mate funny you should have a Au Falcon because a few years ago I was looking at an AU XR8 four speed but we only have a one car garage and a car port also and would have no where to put the extra car.

My wife has a car also and I wouldn't put the Mondeo out in the weather so at the moment that dream of a XR8 will have to wait.

The local Ford Dealer is up the road from our place and there's been a FG XR6 Turbo for sale been there for about two months.

its got 89,316 ks on it and its $33,888. theres also a XR8 but didn't look at the price on that.

I went to my mechanic last week for new pads and a pink slip as the Mondeo is due for Rego at the end of August.

My Mechanic says :This car of yours will never die and he thinks its because all the Highway driving it does.

When my wife and I brought the Mondeo the idiot sales man says to me " its
got a sealed for life transmission (which it hasn't) and don't worry about the transmission service"

thank goodness I never took his word for it and I found the transmission dipstick myself and have had the transmission serviced a few times.

Like some reviews I have read about the Mondeo which are not too flash I have read some not too flash reviews about the AU Falcon but tell the truth I don't take much notice of reviews because every body's opinion is different any way.

cheers mate
Sorry , I missed your post until today , been offline for a fair few days for different reasons but that Falcon sounds like an FGX at that price I'd say ..Absolute rocket is the turbo they are . So is the XR8 of course .

I wonder how the Mondeo would have gone if they had of actually spent some money advertising it. Actually the other day I saw a lovely station wagon Mondy parked at work . Very very nice indeed and I reckon if I bought one I'd go that way . Seemed to have lots of room too which I'd like .
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2019, 12:43 PM   #16
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickford View Post
Now that the Mazda/Ford partnership has ended (2015), Ford will be hard pressed to come up with great small capacity engines as they've had in the last 30+ years leading upto the split. Ford will dearly miss the Mazda engines that is for sure.
I liked that partnership too from earlier with their Ford Traders as they had a great Mazda/Perkins diesel which run forever.
Pity neither Ford or Mazda are in the light truck business now.

Sorry back to Mondeo.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-08-2019, 04:29 PM   #17
Work Horse
Budget Racer

My daily is a 1989 Trader with 380 000kms. I've had it over 20 years never missed a beat!

Looks like a Mondeo if you really squint