Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 27-07-2019, 06:48 AM   #31
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Unregistered Vehicle Permit

I’m sure ii did this with Shannon’s years ago

An unregistered vehicle permit is really all club plates are

I did keep the car insured once I got it home and put full rego on it though

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
Old 27-07-2019, 12:19 PM   #32
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

In Vic, an unregistered vehicle permit is technically only for driving an unregistered vehicle, that’s in a ‘road worthy’ condition, to and from establishments for repair work, to have a RWC test, or be inspected at a Vic Roads office.

I say ‘technically’ because not everyone abides by this theory, myself included at times.
Old 27-07-2019, 02:15 PM   #33
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Spoke to Shannons extensively today they were not interested, their exact words were, QUOTE : 'no money in it for us and too much risk'

I have had cars and bikes insured with Shannons for over 25 years, never had a claim, have had no accidents at all of any sort for about 20 years, never had any at fault accident, no tickets of any kind for about 14 years.

Cars I have had with Shannons include: XB GT sedan, FPV GT 40th anniversary, XB GS Coupe, EL XR8, Harley Davidson Fat Boy, H3 Hummer, and probably others I can't think of at the moment.
Oh Boo ****ing hoo.

Shannons is a business, not a damn charity.

You want to do everything on the cheap, then cry like a spoilt baby because a business won't give you something for nothing. You expect them to take on the risk of your car, plus 3rd party liability, plus public liability, and do all that for a few dollars??
Why would ANY business do that?
As others have said, buy a proper insurance policy, cancel it when you don't need it, and cop the penalties.

Or, stop trying to do something on the dodgy, and pay the professionals to move your car.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2019, 07:27 PM   #34
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Oh Boo ****ing hoo.

You want to do everything on the cheap, then cry like a spoilt baby because a business won't give you something for nothing. You expect them to take on the risk of your car, plus 3rd party liability, plus public liability, and do all that for a few dollars??
As others have said, buy a proper insurance policy, cancel it when you don't need it, and cop the penalties.

Or, stop trying to do something on the dodgy, and pay the professionals to move your car.
Gee whizz mate - with all due respect, your comments are unwarranted and help no one.

XB GS isn't try to 'do something on the dodgy'. On the contrary, he's simply trying to do the right thing by the motoring public and ensure he's covered, and therefore not a potential liability on the road - surely that thinking deserves credit.

Given that he's a long term client with multiple policies with that company, one would think they might have been able to do something to assist him. Sadly, this is what insurance companies have become. There is absolutely no client loyalty any more.
7 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2019, 07:31 PM   #35
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

It's the apparent inconsistency that gets me. I'm one of (at least) three posters who has done it by the book; permit at the registry and comp with Shannons - yet this chap is getting a whole different story.
This user likes this post:
Old 27-07-2019, 08:16 PM   #36
Dave1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Oh Boo ****ing hoo.

Mate actually read the original post before they ban you. Are you on the cans or something?
Old 28-07-2019, 12:38 PM   #37
71cop
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get it transported.
Old 29-07-2019, 06:17 AM   #38
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Can you even insure an unregistered car? I tried it with one of my cars before it was registered and no one wanted a bar of it even though it wasn't moving anywhere.
3 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2019, 08:14 AM   #39
Trevor 57
is now there

Shannons have Lay Up insurance, we had it on the XE race car
Old 29-07-2019, 01:55 PM   #40
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post
Gee whizz mate - with all due respect, your comments are unwarranted and help no one.

XB GS isn't try to 'do something on the dodgy'. On the contrary, he's simply trying to do the right thing by the motoring public and ensure he's covered, and therefore not a potential liability on the road - surely that thinking deserves credit.

Given that he's a long term client with multiple policies with that company, one would think they might have been able to do something to assist him. Sadly, this is what insurance companies have become. There is absolutely no client loyalty any more.
Have to laugh at anyone who expects insurance companies to be anything but all about the dollar. They are all bottom feeders who don't give 2 sheets about their customers, unless it's to get payment from them. Miss a payment and they will be all over you though.
4 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2019, 02:08 PM   #41
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post

He wants to take an unregistered vehicle on a 550km road trip.. but hey "its roadworthy"

Its nothing about client loyalty, do you really think any insurance company should assist him on this venture?
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Old 01-08-2019, 12:19 AM   #42
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like the only options now are to flatbed it to Tweed Heads RMS and register it there. Find the nearest Blue slip certifier to RMS and take your chances that it will pass. Or use a car carrier service and if you want to follow it down to make sure it doesn't get damaged then you can.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:57 AM   #43
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev View Post
Shannons have Lay Up insurance, we had it on the XE race car
I assume he already has lay up insurance, which should cover him for getting it transported or trailered.
but it wont cover for driving an unregistered vehicle on the road.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:06 AM   #44
Dave1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
He wants to take an unregistered vehicle on a 550km road trip.. but hey "its roadworthy"

Its nothing about client loyalty, do you really think any insurance company should assist him on this venture?
Mate...read the OP, no one is flapping their gums about driving an unregistered vehicle. He’s talking about a form of temporary rego/ permit to drive a roadworthy car home and have it insured for the trip. Most states allow for some kind of temp rego for this purpose but Shannon’s do not wish to insure. It’s not “unregistered” or “hey it’s roadworthy” it’s “ I’m getting a permit to legally drive a roadworthy vehicle under a temp permit to do so” .
Old 01-08-2019, 10:33 AM   #45
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

There are many accepted activities that exist, even rely upon extension of trust.

Builders consistently extend trust in provision of credit to a client, dentists charge you after the treatment session - not before or during, piano tuners ask for payment after completion.

Shannon’s extend their trust to me for the ute and other cars I drive. It’s a policy requirement the (not laid up) cars are otherwise legally able to be driven. When - in NSW - someone signs a declaration of roadworthiness in order to receive a temporary permit, that declaration is binding and holds the applicant liable. It therefore makes sense that an insurer could contract with a driver in a manner no different to insuring a fully registered car.

I accept the risk profile is possibly heightened; unfamiliar vehicle or journey, just like any “new” car - which is usually quite insurable regardless. A premium reflects that in its price.

It’s saddening to note the lurch towards social-media driven (the root cause IMO) presumptions of impropriety; even imputations thereof.
2 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2019, 10:45 AM   #46
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1966 View Post
Mate...read the OP, no one is flapping their gums about driving an unregistered vehicle. He’s talking about a form of temporary rego/ permit to drive a roadworthy car home and have it insured for the trip. Most states allow for some kind of temp rego for this purpose but Shannon’s do not wish to insure. It’s not “unregistered” or “hey it’s roadworthy” it’s “ I’m getting a permit to legally drive a roadworthy vehicle under a temp permit to do so” .
Did you read that Shannon's offered 3rd part but the OP wants Comprehensive.

Its a 550km Interstate journey for a $70K car, were not talking about sneaking an old wreck across the boarder on the cheap.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:10 PM   #47
Dave1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Did you read that Shannon's offered 3rd part but the OP wants Comprehensive.

Its a 550km Interstate journey for a $70K car, were not talking about sneaking an old wreck across the boarder on the cheap.
Of course he wants comprehensive. He cited the obvious reason for needing such coverage. So what if it’s a 70K car, just perhaps he is comfortable with the cars condition and would like to actually drive his new purchase back home? This would give him the chance to get an idea of what he wants to improve,restore or modify when its back home.Go figure drive a car, crazy stuff right there.
Old 22-08-2019, 02:02 AM   #48
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
I am looking at moving a car using an unregistered vehicles permit, it's a 550km trip I will be doing, the car is roadworthy and in perfect working order.

My issue is getting insurance for the trip.

I have tried NRMA and Shannons who don't want to know about it.

Got to love Shannons only been a customer of theirs for 25 plus years with zero claims.

Anyone have had any luck doing this??
The question was simple enough - has anyone had any luck insuring their car on an unregistered permit.

Instead one or two of you wanted to argue over anything but the question that was asked.

The OP has not logged back on since the day he posted this question so until the OP tells me otherwise (via PM) the thread is closed.
5 users like this post:
Closed Thread