Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 03-04-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
zebby

Default Ownership reviews

Hey guy's,

would like to hear from all you current Mondeo owners. How has the experience been so far with the car, both petrol & diesel, and are you happy with your purchase. I have read all the reviews, but want some real world opinions on the car.

In the market for a Mondeo or Mazda 6, still trying to decide. Don't have much time, as i am without car since my better half had an accident last Saturday, and the car is a total loss.

Interested in the diesel, a few sedans around but not sure about the look, and can't wait months for a hatchback. So may have to be petrol.

Your honest opinions would be very much appreciated.

Thanking you

zebby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2008, 03:40 PM   #2
Katoomba

I was interested in a Mazda 6 last year until I found out they require premium unleaded.

I bought a Mondeo Zetec a month ago and am 'totally stoked' with it. No regrets or problems with it so far. It's a quiet and solidly built car and far superior to any of the many many cars I've bought in the past.

I did set out to buy a sedan but was put off because the boot lid was quite small and I could see problems in reaching the back of the really large boot. Also the sedan does not have rear window wiper despite having a quite sloped window which I could see would be real dirt trap.

The hatch gives easy access to the enormous boot space.

I have a few niggling dislikes which I can easily put up with:

The lack of a proper spare wheel.
The ignition switch doesn't have a light around it.
The rear seating area definitely needs an A/C outlet.
The radio is annoying when switching between CD and radio - the change in volume is an ear-blaster one way and almost inaudible in the other direction.
The Bluetooth is amazing but I hope software updates will become available as it still has a way to go to work all the time.

And that's it.
Katoomba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2008, 04:11 PM   #3
mondeoxr5
Starter Motor

Hi

I bought a mondeo xr5 turbo and couldn't be happier.

I looked at buying the diesel but a few things just made the xr5 a better choice, the big ones being the manual transmission and the convers+ screen.

The car on the road is just amazing in any environment. The boot is huge and as katoomba said very easy to access if you buy the hatch. The lack of a full size spare is an annoyance, but easily fixed. The xr5 has an a/c outlet in the rear. Bluetooth gave me a few niggles when I first started using it but has been working well as of late. The car is just so solid, and handles anything that is thrown at it.

I would highly recommend the car to anyone thinking of buying one.
mondeoxr5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2008, 04:39 PM   #4
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Have a TDCi Hatch.

You will have trouble finding a diesel. Most waits have been 3+ months. I have very happy with mine. Check out the 'New Mondeo' thread for more info

Few issues:

Follow me home lighting doesn't stay on when lights set to auto
No way to lock the petrol cap
Central locking only works from the driver's side
Cheap looking sun visors
Grabby brakes when cold
AM reception is a bit dodgy
Long wait on accessories (you probably won't have this issue)
My 'A' pillars don't match
Sunroof leaks
Parking sensors aren't really loud enough, and don't mute the radio
No light around ignition
The reflectors on the doors are only for show, I thought they would light up
A/C isn't real flash, doesn't seem to be cold enough
Windscreen wipers have to be put in 'service position' to clean windscreen at servo
Would have liked two trip meters, handy when you have to claim kilometres back for work

These are minor issues, and my dealer has been more than happy to fix anything that I've raised. I'm getting an average of about 9 l/100 kms. Not the best, but better than my Falcon.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2008, 04:52 PM   #5
Katoomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
AM reception is a bit dodgy
Yes, I missed that one in my list. I listen to AM more than anything else and it does perform kinda poorly.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:10 PM   #6
GT014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
Have a TDCi Hatch.

A/C isn't real flash, doesn't seem to be cold enough

I'm getting an average of about 9 l/100 kms. Not the best, but better than my Falcon.

I've read a lot about the A/C in these cars and almost everyone says it doesnt get cold enough. Is it that bad? Is it a huge difference between that the the Ford BA/BF series as they have an awesome A/C HEck, even my lancer 5 yrs ago had an amazing A/C

9l/100km, that doesnt sound very good for a desiel !
GT014 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2008, 10:18 PM   #7
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazbug
I've read a lot about the A/C in these cars and almost everyone says it doesnt get cold enough. Is it that bad? Is it a huge difference between that the the Ford BA/BF series as they have an awesome A/C HEck, even my lancer 5 yrs ago had an amazing A/C

9l/100km, that doesnt sound very good for a desiel !

I have a BA falcon and a TDCi Mondeo so I guess I can comment on this. The falcon air con is colder - no doubt. I've had the Mondeo for nearly 3 months so went through Jan and Feb in Melbourne with it and whilst you may have to keep the fan going a little higher, it has been good enough to keep the cabin comfortable. A little more cold wouldn't go astray but it's not poor.

My fuel consumption averages out at just under 8 but I do drive in heavy traffic (falcon turbo used around 14-15 in the same conditions). Engine is great - not super on takeoff but very nice in gear performance and general driveability. Handling is really a strong point. Goes around corners better than my XR6.

Most of the other points raised are minor but still valid. The lack of light around the ignition can be a pain and agree that the visors and glovebox lid are flimsy. The rest of the cabin plastics are really nice however. I listen to AM often and don't really have any issues and my sunroof hasn't leaked (and based on Dusty1's comment, hopefully not a sign of things to come). The bluetooth picks up my phone all the time and the voice recognition works well most of the time. There also is no speed alert function which is a little annoying (although someone has claimed it's there and set at around 130 km/h but you can't seem to adjust it). My main gripe is the black area around the stereo display and CD slot - in full sunlight you can see every little swirl mark that black shiny areas like that seem to attract. The interior leg space is excellent and on par with a falcon and as far as safety kit goes it's pretty much fully loaded.

I think you can't go wrong either way with the Mondeo or Mazda6. If it's a diesel you're after, you haven't got much choice as the 6's diesel is about 12 months away I believe. You'd need to drive both petrol cars to make a comparison. The mondeo I think still pips the 6 for space but everyone has different requirements.

Overall I'm very happy with the Mondeo so far and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:08 PM   #8
TheColonel

Quote:
There also is no speed alert function which is a little annoying (although someone has claimed it's there and set at around 130 km/h but you can't seem to adjust it).
Speed alert can be changed to several presets by the dealer or turned off completely
Old 04-04-2008, 12:11 AM   #9
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColonel
Speed alert can be changed to several presets by the dealer or turned off completely
Not really the convenience I was looking for but I'll ask next time.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:51 AM   #10
TheColonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superoo
Not really the convenience I was looking for but I'll ask next time.
I know it's not, but that's the only way it can be done
Old 04-04-2008, 03:24 PM   #11
jared79
Sock Puppets

Ok, I have Zetec Hatch and I couldn't be happier with it. There are a couple of little problems, but compared to my old Falcon, it's a pleasure to drive. People complain that the engine is not powerful enough and maybe it's true. But I haven't really noticed it, except when going up a steep hill, I found it could do with a little more then.

It obviously more thirsty than the Diesel, but less than my Falcon. I am getting about 11L/100 around town and get about 9 on the highway. So about 700KM per tank on 91 Petrol, little better for 95 and I haven't tried 98 yet, one day I will and will let you all know.

It handles great for a big car which I love cause the Falcon would be trerrible if I took corners at the speeds I take the Mondeo. The boot is huge and the hatch gives you a nice big opening. A lockable fuel cap doesn't bother me as you can't get into the fuel anyway.

Some little annoying things for me.

-The windscreen washers spray water down the side of the drivers and passengers windows, so if the windows are down, you get wet.
-If it's been raining and you open the hatch, water get caught at the base of the back window then pours into the boot.
-Could do with a proper iPod connector like the new Falcon (It's does have an AUX port, so I can still plug it in)
-Brake dust on the wheels is really bad, but I have been told thats because of the Euro brakes pads and the Australian ones are not as bad.

But I am being picky with those things, they are little things that I can live with. The car is still awesome and I am very happy with my purchase.

I highly recommend this car.

Ford Mondeo Zetec Hatch in Blue Ambition
jared79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 03:28 PM   #12
jared79
Sock Puppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superoo
There also is no speed alert function which is a little annoying (although someone has claimed it's there and set at around 130 km/h but you can't seem to adjust it).
I had it go of on me the other day, didn't even realise I was doing 130 till I heard this "DING" sound, couldn't figure out what it was at first as it sounds like the fuel light coming on and i had half a tank of fuel left. Then i looked at my speedo and realised it was the speed alarm. Good thing too, cause there was a cop just up ahead. My car is saving me money in more ways than just fuel. Love it.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:53 PM   #13
TheColonel

Quote:
Some little annoying things for me.

-The windscreen washers spray water down the side of the drivers and passengers windows, so if the windows are down, you get wet.
-If it's been raining and you open the hatch, water get caught at the base of the back window then pours into the boot.
-Could do with a proper iPod connector like the new Falcon (It's does have an AUX port, so I can still plug it in)
-Brake dust on the wheels is really bad, but I have been told thats because of the Euro brakes pads and the Australian ones are not as bad.
When your car goes into for the pillars jet them to adjust the washer jets or just use a needle or pin to move it yourself...
Water in the boot on the hatch has now been fixed on all new mondeo's from the factory, the issue is the gap between the glass and the deck of the hatch, they are putting a rubber strip in there as i was thinking of doing myself anyways, there is no word if this will be retrofitted to exisiting mondeos...
The fuel flap will now also lock on all new mondeos from the factory, also no word if this will be retrofitted on exisiting models...

On another note all together, there is a software issue on the mondeos that ford is currently trying to resolve where cars when locked will sound their alarm and lock the user out and apparently they drop the key codes and turn ignition to postion two (i assume this is only happening on cars with the "start button", mine happened last week, Ford are aware and are working on a fix and this is happening on Mondeo's world wide. Ford engineers in Europe are working on an update for the cars control unit to resolve this bug...
Old 04-04-2008, 07:29 PM   #14
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoomba
The radio is annoying when switching between CD and radio - the change in volume is an ear-blaster one way and almost inaudible in the other direction.
The Bluetooth is amazing but I hope software updates will become available as it still has a way to go to work all the time.
I have had a look at the issue re the audio volume difference between radio and CD, mine does not change, by saying that I mean if the radio volume is displaying 10 on the screan when I switch to CD the volume is still on 10. What I have found is that the CD’s I use are often recorded at different levels so the system evens it out to the track recorded at the ‘lowest’ level which could explain your problem.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 08:04 PM   #15
monkeyboy666

I've had my TDCI hatch since early January, done just under 12,000 km in it without any issues yet.

Oh, there is one issue, occasionally when I shut the windows they (usually front ones, haven't had the back ones do it yet..) will close and then bounce back down to half way. It can take a few goes of opening it fully then closing it and so on before it will finally stay shut. This has only happenned about 4 times in the time I've had the car, but it always seems to be when theres someone else in the car which makes me look kind of stupid with my up and down windows...

The only other annoyance is the water that runs across the windshield and pours into the open windows if you spray the windows or when its raining. Even light showers mean you have to have the windows fully shut to avoid the incoming trickle of water - which always seems to pour in onto the power window buttons.

Other than that its been a fantastic car in every respect - the handling is phenomenal, even going around roundabouts I just leave the cruise control on and sail around at 80 or so (thats when theres no one coming of course!) and the car goes around like its on a track, with absolutely no body roll. I've been trying to make the ESC light come on but so far no matter how much I try it never seems to have got to the point where the car has reached its limitation and the computer has to take over. Hmm, maybe its broken and I'll just roll over into the bushes one day...

I drive mainly country roads and have been getting steady low 6's per 100km consumption - thats worked out using maths rather than relying on the trip computer so it is accurate.

I don't listen to AM so I can't comment on the quality of that, and Sydneys summer was so poor that I never used the aircon once so I can't comment on that either.

My one other gripe is the price of diesel at the moment - at least 10 cents dearer than unleaded, even dearer than premium - whats THAT all about?!?!
monkeyboy666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 08:08 PM   #16
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Haven’t had any issues with mine. Very happy with the purchase and I certainly would not buy a 2nd choice car just because you need something now and you don't think you can or don't want to wait for the car you really want. Beg, borrow or steal something to drive until you can get the car you want. You will never be disappointed if you wait but if you jump into your 2nd choice now you will be kicking yourself in a few months when the diesel hatches are all over the showrooms again.

Comments re the A/C are interesting, If I’m using the A/C I always set it to auto at 21 degrees regardless of the outside temp and I have had many trips home in stop start traffic with the outside temp in the high 30’s and low 40’s and the inside temp set for 21 and I find it performs flawlessly. The dealer mentioned that the A/C was not as good as the Australian cars so I put a digital temp probe into the centre vents and it showed 0.5 degrees which is exactly the same as my territory.

Water in the boot is common on most hatchbacks and has been for decades.

The wipers don’t bother me as I would rather they are neatly tucked away when not in use.

Don’t listen to AM but the radio is rather sensitive to a lack of signal even in FM.

First 3,000 k’s average fuel consumption from day one is 10.0 per 100 at an average speed of 43kph, haven’t reset the TC yet.

Space saver spare! Can’t remember the last time I had to change a tyre, I’d rather have the extra luggage space.

Issues for me are;
Brake pad material is terrible, still hunting for a non-genuine replacement pad.
Rear wiper looks like an afterthought
Factory exhaust tips (XR5) look terrible (mine got fixed at the dealer before I even took delivery, thanks again Andrew)
Oil filter seems to be unique, the Volvo one doesn’t fit! Can’t find a listing by Ryco, so far have had to buy genuine (ouch!)
Parking sensors should be linked to the audio system, but who parks with the radio blasting anyway?
Replacement tyres………… anybody who hasn’t priced the Continentals is in for a shock. Try $640 each!!
Waiting for weather shields to overcome the problem with the washers soaking my arm!
Old 04-04-2008, 08:18 PM   #17
bearass
FG XR8

Thumbs up

We brought the XR5 and so far could not be happier with it. Current fuel is great we are getting 620kms+ on a tank of ultimate all in town driving. The engine has loosened up a bit and very responsive and it seems the exhaust note has changed ever so slightly but noticeable. Don't seem to have a problem with the a/c getting cold enough but we have only had it for 4 months. No problems what so ever with it yet, my only concern but answered in these forums was the grabbing brakes when cold.
We had an Accord euro luxury before and after 3700 kms dont miss it at all. There is more boot space and comfort wise seems to be marginally better than the Honda. The mondeo is very roomy inside for a mid size car with my 2 children having plenty of rear seat room with the front seats back and plenty of head room for all.
My only gripe and a very little one is there does not seem to be a lot of accessories for the Mondeo's available ( or I am looking in the wrong spots ) but I suppose being a new car it wont be long until Ford or an OEM company bring them out-maybe alloy pedals just to finish the inside off.
Overall very happy and recommend to anyone wanting a bit more than just another mid size car.
If you go with the Mondeo Zebby and after reading all the other posts from other owners of different models I doubt you will be dissapointed-decisions.....decisions....
Old 04-04-2008, 08:21 PM   #18
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy666
I've been trying to make the ESC light come on but so far no matter how much I try it never seems to have got to the point where the car has reached its limitation and the computer has to take over. Hmm, maybe its broken and I'll just roll over into the bushes one day...

Easiest way to get 'comfortable' with the ESC is to find one of those huge roundabouts, ideally one in a industrial area so you can try this after hours when there is no other traffic using it.
Just keep driving around and around and slowly keep increasing the speed with each revolution, eventually you will start to feel it lose traction and the ESC will start to correct the slide. Its a little odd at first and the normal reaction is to back off or put in some opposite lock but if you just relax and maintain your steering angle and power (or even increase the speed when it starts to slide) you will be amazed at how effective it is. Its worth the trouble and effort to take the missus along so she can feel it happen rather than panic if and when it kicks in for real some day.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:15 AM   #19
zebby

Thank you everyone for your views, keep them coming, very close to making a decision.

I am more inclined towards the diesel, but just saw diesel at $1.53 and wonder if it will be worth it. I do most of my driving in and around town, so was wondering what kind of consumption I would expect.

Has anyone bought a sedan???
zebby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2008, 12:08 PM   #20
Katoomba

Diesel at a local BP servo was 25c/l dearer than ULP yesterday which equates to $17.50 a tankful. The normal price differential is around 20c/l on Mondays and Tuesdays when ULP is at its cheapest.

I wonder if the increased popularity of diesel cars will cause a rise in price as happened with LPG?
Old 07-04-2008, 02:14 PM   #21
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

The price differential between ULP and diesel is the highest I can remember it. At the end of the discount cycle, I'm also seeing around 20 c/l difference. Very frustrating. It cost me $101 dollars to fill up 2 weeks ago. Shell in Melbourne seem to be selling it at $1.60 at numerous outlets compared to around $1.53 elsewhere. Anyone know the reason other than "they can"?

No doubt the diesel popularity has everything to do with it.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:54 AM   #22
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearass
We brought the XR5 and so far could not be happier with it. Current fuel is great we are getting 620kms+ on a tank of ultimate all in town driving. The engine has loosened up a bit and very responsive and it seems the exhaust note has changed ever so slightly but noticeable. Don't seem to have a problem with the a/c getting cold enough but we have only had it for 4 months. No problems what so ever with it yet, my only concern but answered in these forums was the grabbing brakes when cold.
We had an Accord euro luxury before and after 3700 kms dont miss it at all. There is more boot space and comfort wise seems to be marginally better than the Honda. The mondeo is very roomy inside for a mid size car with my 2 children having plenty of rear seat room with the front seats back and plenty of head room for all.
My only gripe and a very little one is there does not seem to be a lot of accessories for the Mondeo's available ( or I am looking in the wrong spots ) but I suppose being a new car it wont be long until Ford or an OEM company bring them out-maybe alloy pedals just to finish the inside off.
Overall very happy and recommend to anyone wanting a bit more than just another mid size car.
If you go with the Mondeo Zebby and after reading all the other posts from other owners of different models I doubt you will be dissapointed-decisions.....decisions....
I've got factory ford alloy pedals on my xr5 mondeo, I imported them from the UK. Im at work now, but when I get home I'll posty you up a pic and a link for the UK ford parts website I used.

They were from memory about $250 landed at my door...

They really tidy up the interior (not that it needs it : )
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2008, 09:20 PM   #23
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRsedan
................but when I get home I'll posty you up a pic and a link for the UK ford parts website I used.

.............where are those pix and link?
Old 11-04-2008, 10:25 PM   #24
bearass
FG XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRsedan
I've got factory ford alloy pedals on my xr5 mondeo, I imported them from the UK. Im at work now, but when I get home I'll posty you up a pic and a link for the UK ford parts website I used.

They were from memory about $250 landed at my door...

They really tidy up the interior (not that it needs it : )

Were these the pedals you were talking about?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pedals.jpg (14.1 KB, 39 views)
Old 12-04-2008, 08:23 PM   #25
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebby
Has anyone bought a sedan???
Signing up on Monday :

Zetec sedan petrol in Stardust Silver with leather, bluetooth and tow pack.

...........only down side is we have to wait two weeks before we can pick it up.
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2008, 08:38 PM   #26
TheColonel

2 weeks is a downside? NO, you're one of the lucky ones who haven't had to wait months...
Old 12-04-2008, 10:53 PM   #27
jared79
Sock Puppets

Agree, two is awesome. Had to wait 3 months for mine.

Old 13-04-2008, 01:47 PM   #28
scribbly

Anyone for 4 months or greater - me, that's who!
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 02:24 PM   #29
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColonel
2 weeks is a downside? NO, you're one of the lucky ones who haven't had to wait months...
Its still a long time for me after seeing and driving it
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 11:36 PM   #30
monkeyboy666

I ordered my TDCi hatch in Nov 3rd and got it Jan 9th - and I had to make a compromise - change my colour choice from Blue Ambition to Thunder. Today a guy I work with told me he got his Blue Ambition TDCi hatch on Monday - 2 days after ordering it.... there was a cancelled one that he was able to bag. Luck of the draw I guess.

At least he doesn't have leather or sunroof like I do
monkeyboy666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post