Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 10-03-2016, 09:23 PM   #31
V8kado
Mondeo Titanium Estate

Default Re: My 2011 MC Ford Mondeo Titanium Wagon Tdci

OK, so called the Vic dealer to ensure that the 120,000km 'B' service was complete and that in fact the fuel filter and transmission service was also completed. They have confirmed yes all done, called previous owner too and he'll forward me service invoices for peace of mind.

Local John McGrath Ford Dealer will look at it at on behalf of Etheridge Ford at the earliest next Tue,

So, for the time being though I pulled into our work workshop and unscrewed the canister, cleaned the rubber seal, and screwed back together. We'll see how that goes for the time being.

All good for now.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:02 AM   #32
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, now you know why it leaks. . Nothing like dealer servicing.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:05 PM   #33
V8kado
Mondeo Titanium Estate

Yeah, I'll see how it goes over the weekend. Looks to be good so far.
Probably wont need to take it to the local Ford Dealer next Tuesday if all good.

On a side note passed NSW Blue Slip today.
I'm interested in putting on some NSW Euro Style Plates. Anyone have any photos of your Mondeo with these style plates? Take it they would fit OK being much wider?
Old 12-03-2016, 02:00 PM   #34
V8kado
Mondeo Titanium Estate

Lovin' this 'Global Opening' of all the windows and sunroof during this hot spell!

Works so well when you come back to a hot car.

Also been leaving the sunroof pitched up during the hot days this week to eliminate some heat.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2016, 02:19 PM   #35
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

yeah it's great, as are follow me home lights, nice to get some extra lighting when walking away from the car sometimes. I also find it pleasing to walk up to the car with lights on (well parkers) underground/cover parking.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2016, 05:31 PM   #36
V8kado
Mondeo Titanium Estate

Had to check this out this morning when unlocking and walking up to it, as when I approach the car from the back I have not seen it as yet. Looks good

Most definitely the wing mirrors light up great also, love them!

Anyone throw any LED's in the wing mirrors? LED's would make them look even better I'd reckon.
Or for that sake also the parkers and number plate lights with LED's, anyone tried them?
Old 15-03-2016, 07:27 PM   #37
V8kado
Mondeo Titanium Estate

Well I ended up cancelling my visit to the Ford dealer today which was to check out the leaking Diesel Fuel Filter. It seems that the removal/cleaning seal/replacing which we done last Thursday has done the job just fine. No more leaks but I'll continue to monitor.

It's when you want to crawl under the car regularly that you realise how damn low these Titanium Wagons are!

Also on another note I had the 'Forward Alert' warning come up on the dash this arvo due to a car in front of me coming to an abrupt halt. I think it done it's job well (what ever it does) and actually gave me a little fright as it flashed up 'Forward Alert' an Amber colour with Audible tones to alert of a possible collision in front.
The system displays the message in the entirety of the left hand part of the Convers+ display.

So far so good, enjoying the drive and look forward to jumping in the Mondeo when ever I can. Mind you still trying to get used to take off!
Old 16-03-2016, 08:14 PM   #38
V8kado
Mondeo Titanium Estate

Found this little booklet in the Mondeo service folder, might be of interest to some people who have trouble using the Voice Commands.

Now off to do some study!
Old 17-03-2016, 07:41 PM   #39
Binny

And talk in a pommy accent like the voice control lady. If I say CD Player in my "normal" voiced she completely ignores me
Old 17-03-2016, 08:55 PM   #40
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, same problem with Kiwi accents. I've given up!
Old 22-03-2016, 06:08 PM   #41
V8kado
Mondeo Titanium Estate

Question?

Well we've gone from nearly 20deg temp overnight down Canberra way and stinking hot, now down to a chilli 6deg the last few nights.

Which got me thinking, how do we 'Glow' the plugs in the Diesel engines? Have not seen an indicator on the dash or anything?

In the manual it states "Switch the ignition on and wait until the glow plug indicator goes off". Well I have not seen no glow indicator yet.

So would that mean (for push button start) we should be pressing the start button without foot on the brake to ignition/accessories? Then after a few seconds foot on the brake to start engine?

But, it also talks about cranking it until it starts!!!! Weird, can't be good for Diesels?

What do you guys do?

BTW, heated seats are a godsend
Old 22-03-2016, 06:40 PM   #42
Mondaveo

I would think the push button model should take care of everything for you, with respect to waiting for glow plugs, cranking time...

After all it's the top of the line model, you have auto wipers, auto lights, auto gears, auto speed, auto dipping mirror, etc etc... I can't imagine they'd make starting the engine a manual process...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2016, 06:51 PM   #43
Mondaveo

Page 118 introduces the ignition switch and keyless starting. The following pages seem to describe keyless starting followed by ignition switch. This is ar$e-about to how I'd expect it to be written.

You seem to be on page 121 which pertains to ignition switch starting. Keyless start is given on page 119:

Quote:
Starting a diesel engine
Note: Engine cranking may not
commence until the engine glow plug
cycle has been completed. This may
take several seconds in extremely cold
conditions.
Note: Continue to press the brake
pedal until engine cranking begins.

Quote:
Old 22-03-2016, 07:29 PM   #44
bundybear75

I haven't noticed a glow plug symbol in my LX wagon, When I first got it I assumed the symbol (which I think is the frost/ice warning) going through its yellow/red display when the key turned on was the glow plugs. Now not so sure.

Any one point me in the right direction?
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2016, 07:32 PM   #45
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Every keyless car i have ever driven (hyundai's, toyota's) allow the diesel to glow before cranking anyway. One would assume the Mondeo does the same. Hopefully... worth the check though.

Perhaps see if you can find the glow light by going straight to ignition without starting. Then turn it all off and put foot on brake and start as normal to see if its doing it.
Old 22-03-2016, 07:35 PM   #46
Binny

My 2008 Focus had a glow plug light but my Mondeo doesn't.
TBH sometime over the last couple of years I have completely forgotten about them and just crank the key straight around. Always starts instantly.
Old 22-03-2016, 07:37 PM   #47
V8kado
Mondeo Titanium Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondaveo View Post
Page 118 introduces the ignition switch and keyless starting. The following pages seem to describe keyless starting followed by ignition switch. This is ar$e-about to how I'd expect it to be written.

You seem to be on page 121 which pertains to ignition switch starting. Keyless start is given on page 119:
"Starting a diesel engine
Note: Engine cranking may not
commence until the engine glow plug
cycle has been completed.
This may
take several seconds in extremely cold
conditions.
Note: Continue to press the brake
pedal until engine cranking begins."

Yeah a bit asre about.
Though by the bold text, and reading between the lines you might like to think the glow plugs are charging as you either, a) unlock the car or, b) open the door.
As you've mentioned everything else seems to be automatic!
Old 22-03-2016, 08:58 PM   #48
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Never had a problem even at -4°. Turn the key, engine starts.
Old 22-03-2016, 11:43 PM   #49
Mondaveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundybear75 View Post
I haven't noticed a glow plug symbol in my LX wagon, When I first got it I assumed the symbol (which I think is the frost/ice warning) going through its yellow/red display when the key turned on was the glow plugs. Now not so sure.

Any one point me in the right direction?
You are correct, that's the Frost Warning Lamp. Page 79. It's one of several lights that illuminates when you turn on the ignition; glow plugs (icon in V8kado's page scan above) is not included among them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8kado View Post
Note: Engine cranking may not commence until the engine glow plug cycle has been completed.

... by the bold text, and reading between the lines you might like to think the glow plugs are charging as you either, a) unlock the car or, b) open the door.
My reading of that passage is, it's explaining why there might be a delay between pressing the button and the engine cranking. Though as yet, I haven't perceived any delay between press and fire - so either the glow plugs cycle quickly (in the warm weather we've so far had) or else maybe it does pre-charge them?

Quote:
Old 23-03-2016, 03:55 AM   #50
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've never seen the glow plug symbol in 5 years of owning the MB and I have started it at -4 deg. Does it get colder than that in Canberra?
Old 23-03-2016, 07:16 AM   #51
V8kado
Mondeo Titanium Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6 View Post
I've never seen the glow plug symbol in 5 years of owning the MB and I have started it at -4 deg. Does it get colder than that in Canberra?
That's interesting to note then re glow plug symbol, was that -4 deg a one off?

Essentially Canberra gets many frosts each year, probably the severe ones are around the -6 to -7 deg which may occur only a handful of times each year.

See the below extract from BoM website.
Quote:
By contrast winters are cool to cold with generally westerly winds. However winter is also a time when Canberra can experience clear, sunny days with light winds and a considerable number of frosts can occur. The mean daily maximum for July, the coldest month, is 11.2 °C while the mean daily minimum is −0.2 °C. Overall there is an average of 99 frosts for the year with an average of 95 frosts occurring between April and October with an average of 58 of these frosts occurring during the winter. Winter is also a period of considerable fog activity. There is an average of 44 fogs per year in Canberra with an average of 36 fogs occurring between April and September.
Well my new electric front demister and heated seats will be getting a workout this year!
Old 23-03-2016, 07:20 AM   #52
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No, I've started it a few times when it's been below 0°.

You'll enjoy the heated seats in winter!
Old 25-03-2016, 09:32 PM   #53
V8kado
Mondeo Titanium Estate

Well it's now been 3 weeks since I picked up my new 2011 Mondeo.
Enjoy every day I drive it, travels beautifully and I mentioned this before but I love all the gadgets loaded in the Titanium!

Really comfy to travel in, the lowered sports suspension, 18's and firm bolstered seats I really do enjoy. The smooth travel is so nice!
Too many 'fors' to list at this stage.

BUT

This post is going to be on some of the annoyances or should I say quirks that Ford built into the Mondeo.
They are not bad and I do not think they are a 'make or break' for the car for any one contemplating but really just my personal feedback. So here goes, feel free to give me your thoughts on mine.....

1. Radio turns off when you turn the car off.
I know this is meant to do it, but why cant there be a process to keep the radio going once you've pulled into your driveway and want to turn the car off. You know, your enjoying a song or talk back radio which you'd like to listen to but don't want to keep the car running.
And yes I know you can turn the radio back on via the head unit but it just aint the same I'm afraid.

2. Power to the windows stop as soon as you open a door.
Bit of a bugger when you have pulled up to your place of destination, windows down, turn the car off and you make the mistake of opening your door or the kids do which then renders the windows functioning instantly. Means you have to power on again, windows up, power off.

3. Small cup holders
First day with wife and kids in the car, and yep can't fit the drink bottles in the centre front or rear cup holders, bit of a bugger. This is where we probably miss the territory the most, along with the storage compartments it used to have.

4. 2 Way drivers seat
What's the go here! Some of the technology this car is loaded with and it only gets 2 way adjustable electric drivers seat. My old 2005 Territory Ghia had 8 way!

5. Dot matrix head unit
Old school basic dot matrix display is behind it's time. It's just weird that you can have a really smart Convers+ system display in front of you, then have the old looking Sony head unit working side by side. Don't get me wrong the sound this thing puts out is amazing, just would of been great for Ford to put in a touch screen like they did in Europe Mondeos.

6. Glove box lid slooow
Man the lid on the glove box is so slow to open. Don't use it often but has been a pita when reaching from the drivers side to grab something quickly from the glove box only to have to push it down rather firm before grabbing what your after

7. Cruise control 5km increments
Just another annoyance really, works a treat but if you wanted to sit on say 103km/h you first have to guess that exact speed then hope you set it on that number. Bit like a lottery really. If you don't get it first go then you go to increment the speed up or down and it'll jump to the nearest 5km. Should be 1km/h increments to make it more user friendly.

8. Fog lights turn off after each power cycle
I leave work pretty early and drive down streets with no street lights, plenty of wild animals and minimal traffic. So what I do is leave my lights on Auto, switch my fogs on for additional light for my travel to work. So obviously lights do not come on during day light travel home, but next morning headlights will come on automatically but then I have to switch the fogs back on again for additional light all over again. I would have liked for the fog button the be either on/off not auto off after each power cycle.

9. Heater slow to start up
Don't know if this is normal for Diesels or if its a Mondeo thing? Mine takes at least 5-7min before the Auto climate control starts blowing warm air. Not looking forward to this for Winter.

10. Powershift
Still adjusting my driving style to suit the characteristics of the Powershift gearbox which I actually quit like, but the thing that still beats me is take off from stand still. It's well documented so I'll leave it at that!

As mentioned these are just MY own feedback after owning it for 3 weeks, and coming from an Aussie made Car some things we actually do better here then the Europeans
Any hints or tips that I'm not getting for any of the above?

Once again, such a great car and I love driving it so much, so don't take the above the wrong way. . The 'positives' for this car would massively out way all what I wrote here, so chin up and enjoy a great car.

Cheers
Old 25-03-2016, 09:48 PM   #54
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

We have a Titanium EcoBoost hatch and I can relate to most of the points that you have made.

They are a great car with many features that are only now just finding there way into other comparable models.

Like you I find the Powershift an acquired taste, technically worthy and great on the move, but no smooth enough when compared to a traditional auto a parking speeds.

Its interesting comparing the Mondeo to the conceptually similar Falcon and the differences between the Euro and Aussie large Fords.

Minor details like hidden windscreen washer jets, gas struts for the bonnet, "set point cruise control", 4 and 8 way powered seats, market suitable climate control and modern infotainment are all things that I feel are bizarre admissions on the Mondeo when considering its much larger development budget.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-03-2016, 09:50 PM   #55
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1. I have owned nearly 30 cars and I do not remember one of those that had the radio stay on after turning off the ignition...when would it know to turn itself off?
2. "Global Closing" press and hold the lock button, all windows / sunroof will close. Or press and hold un-lock button and they will all open...
3. Agree
4. Agree
5. Agree
6. The glovebox is "dampend" be careful forcing it to open or close as you might damage the dampener.
7. Press the "RES" button and you can increase the increments by 1km/h. So you can set at 100km/h and then increase to 103km/h for example by tapping RES 3 times.
8. As mentioned before, you have Auto High Beams, does this not help you in the darker areas? Also I believe this is an EU regulation regarding the operation of Fog Lights. They should always be independent (switched) and will not come on in AUTO mode (unless you manually press the button).
9. Never really used the heater, climate control is always set to 22 degrees. It should heat / cool as it sees fit. Naturally in colder climates it should heat up sooner than 5 - 7mins? But I guess it would need to get to full operating temp also? If in doubt get the dealer to investigate.
10. Agree
Old 25-03-2016, 10:24 PM   #56
Mondaveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
1. I have owned nearly 30 cars and I do not remember one of those that had the radio stay on after turning off the ignition...when would it know to turn itself off?
I think the root problem here is the keyless starter button. With a keyed ignition switch, you have the choice of switch positions for Off, Accessory and Ignition/Engine On - so you can turn engine off, but stop at Accessory to keep radio on.

But with the keyless start button, your only options are press-on and press-off; and press-off from engine running (essentially) turns the whole car off. I don't know if there's any special combo with the button to go from engine running straight to Accessory (as it does when you press-on without foot on brake)? Or if the default behavior of the head unit could be changed (it could stay on for an hour, or being a little more clever, until a door is opened or the car locked)?

Quote:
I believe this is an EU regulation regarding the operation of Fog Lights. They should always be independent (switched) and will not come on in AUTO mode (unless you manually press the button).
He means that he turns the fog lights on with the manual switch, and expects they will still be in the 'on' setting the next time he starts the car. Even though it's a manual switch, the operation is more like a 'soft' switch in that it resets itself.

Quote:
7. Press the "RES" button and you can increase the increments by 1km/h.
Thank you for this tip!

Quote:
Old 26-03-2016, 06:43 AM   #57
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow, that's a long list! You do have to remember that the Mk 4 Mondeo was released in Europe in 2007, so it actually quite an old design now.

Interesting, but the poverty pack doesn't have all those issues.

1. Not a problem when you have a key. I do like how you can turn the radio on without the key. But I've noticed when driving rentals that the radio normally stays on until you open the door.

2. Doesn't happen on mine. Score another for the LX!

4. That is a weird one. Mine is also 2-way.

6. Not much damping in the poverty pack lid.

7. The Set + - on mine works a treat, just like the Falcon. Hold it down until the speed is what you want.

8. That's a Euro requirement. Does that switch also turn on the rear fog lights?

9. That's a diesel thing. I understand the cold climate models have an electric heater, but mine definitely doesn't. At least you have electric seats!

10. At first I was disappointed that my runout MB didn't have the Powershift. But not any more! I really don't mind the higher fuel consumption during city driving as a trade off for the smoothness.

So that makes it poverty pack MB 5, Titanium 0! But then there are all the toys ...

Last edited by NZ XR6; 26-03-2016 at 06:50 AM.
NZ XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2016, 10:00 AM   #58
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6 View Post

6. Not much damping in the poverty pack lid.
We have an LX and a Zetec. The damper is busted on the Zetec only.
Children will break it easily, a plastic arm breaks.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2016, 08:55 PM   #59
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

1. MB accessories position, remove when done.

2. MB you have about 15sec till power is cut for that very reason, haven't checked out the MD. But Global opening and closing kills that worry.

3. Find ones that do lol

4. yeah gotta made do with it.

5. Yeah I hear ya, but can put up with it, Kills me getting into a MD with flash screen and Ford Sync2.

6. Already explained.

7. MB feels like it's 2kph per press.

8. Good you don't need them if there's no FOG.

9. Take it off auto, if it's too cold it'll direct the air to the windscreen and side windows till it heats up.

10. Bought the sports shift for a reason lol.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2016, 04:15 PM   #60
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My VY Berlina radio stays on, with the keys removed, until the door is opened.
Not that hard for Ford to do really!!

Good tips on cruise control.

Any tips on getting mine away from my wife???
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post