Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 12-02-2017, 03:21 PM   #1
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default RE: EcoBoost fuel choice...

Hi All,

I have been using Shell V-Power (98ron) for a long time now on various petrol cars that I have owned, however the Mondeo is now the first that an option of E10 fuel is suitable.

I understand that the Mondeo is tuned for 95ron and can be safely run on 91ron with a slight loss of performance (as per the owners book).

As I have always been using 98ron, I thought it best to do a bit more research regarding the E10 fuels available.

I understand that many people are either for or against, but is anyone using E10 with good results?

I have found the following info (available on the manufacturers websites) that might be useful to others;

United Fuels: E10 (95ron)
Freedom Fuels: E10 (94ron)
Shell: E10 (94ron)
Caltex: E10 (91ron - possibly 93ron)
Liberty Fuels: E10 (?ron)
Puma Energy: E10 (91ron)
BP: E10 (91ron)

So based on ron alone, it appears that the United Fuels E10 meets the performance factor by at least maintaining the 95ron.
Understandably economy might suffer, but with a potential 40c/L saving it could be worth a try?

What are your thoughts...
Old 12-02-2017, 07:43 PM   #2
cyclone1410

Default Re: EcoBoost fuel choice...

I did similar research around 18 months ago and tried both the Shell and BP versions. After two tanks of the BP E10 I went back to 98 Ultimate for awhile as the negative performance and fuel consumption effect was noticeable to me though not my better half - she drives like a nanna and never refuels.

I tried the Shell version and it was in my view better than the BP E10 though subjectively still behind 98 octane fuel. Consumption was also affected though not more than 0.3 l/100km with the Shell version. I still stick to 98 RON fuel though as we don't do may km's per year.

Hope this helps.
This user likes this post:
Old 12-02-2017, 09:17 PM   #3
.:4:.
Kicking back

My wife owns a 2L ecoboost g6 falcon and it will run on 91/95 e10 but will occasionally ping. It doesn't happen with normal fuel. I prefer the good stuff but she likes anything that's cheap, baring ethanol.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2017, 09:47 PM   #4
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

DON'T run a turbo on 91.

You'll get more power and better economy from a turbo on 98.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2017, 09:47 PM   #5
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 12-02-2017, 11:19 PM   #6
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the reply guys...

Firstly I currently use Shell V-Power (98ron) and have do so ever since it was available in Oz (on all my previous and current petrol vehicles).

This is my first vehicle that is actually E10 ok!

As it states in the owners manual, 95ron is the ideal fuel. I would never personally use ULP 91ron.

But, if the United E10 is 95ron (and I assume many of you guys would be running PULP (95ron) without to much hesitation) then maybe, just maybe it could be a viable option...
Old 13-02-2017, 01:47 AM   #7
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry mate, not sure what happened to my post. There was meant to be more ...

It appears that Australian E10 is 91 blended with "up to" 10% ethanol. This will raise the octane by 2-3.

So the final octane rating will depend on what octane the fuel was originally and how much ethanol is added. That's probably why most suppliers are a bit vague about it. Maybe have more control over their E10 blend than some others?

The bottom line is you really don't know what you're going to get when you fill up. It could be over 95 on a good day, but if the base petrol was barely 91 and it's only say 5%, then it will be much closer to 91 than 95.

Personally, I wouldn't run a European petrol engine on anything less than 95. The ECU will adjust the engine to run on a lower octane fuel, but you'll lose performance and economy.

Gull sell a E10 98 in NZ, and most vehicles I've tried it in run really well. I'm guessing it's 95 blended with ethanol, but the pumps are labelled as 98.

Last edited by NZ XR6; 13-02-2017 at 01:54 AM.
NZ XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2017, 11:46 AM   #8
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I bit the bullet and filled up with United Fuels E10 (95ron). Only cost 121.3c/L vs my last fill with Shell V-Power 166.5c/L (only a week ago).
Will see how it goes...

I was interested to look at the Gull Website; http://gull.nz/fuel/gull-force-10/

Interesting range of fuels, including the Beer Waste fuel!
Old 13-02-2017, 01:49 PM   #9
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

my MD is diesel but I've run plenty of Focus/Kuga/Fiesta on E10 with no issues. With my driving style I see an improvement in range and economy over 95. I know others don't. I've never seen the benefit of 98 on anything I've owned so can't comment on that.

the best thing is to do exactly what you are doing - try it and see. The days are long gone when it can actually do any damage to the car, unless you are leaving it sitting in the tank for weeks to accumulate water.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2017, 12:21 PM   #10
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So here are the results of my first use of United Fuels E10 (95ron);

349.5kms / 41.89L @ 118.3c/L = 11.99L/100kms ($49.56)

No loss in power noticed at all and an increase economy...

Here was my last fill of Shell V-Power (98ron);
335kms / 43.86L @ 166.5c/L = 13.09L/100kms ($73.07)
**for the record, Shell V-Power was 148.9c/L today**

A saving of around $20.00.

Yes my fuel consumption is high, but I do school drop offs and pick ups 5 days a week (idling in the car park for around 30mins each day) plus just general suburban journeys mixed with the occasional freeway run. Average speed generally around 15 - 25kms - never higher!
Old 18-02-2017, 04:41 PM   #11
gsd112
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
my MD is diesel but I've run plenty of Focus/Kuga/Fiesta on E10 with no issues. With my driving style I see an improvement in range and economy over 95. I know others don't. I've never seen the benefit of 98 on anything I've owned so can't comment on that.

the best thing is to do exactly what you are doing - try it and see. The days are long gone when it can actually do any damage to the car, unless you are leaving it sitting in the tank for weeks to accumulate water.
My G6ET there is a difference between E10 and 98. For starters about 30 rwkw and about 80kms less out of the tank. the 30rwkw was done on a dyno, but you could feel it. The car wouldn't pull it was awful.
gsd112 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2017, 03:32 AM   #12
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
So here are the results of my first use of United Fuels E10 (95ron);

349.5kms / 41.89L @ 118.3c/L = 11.99L/100kms ($49.56)

No loss in power noticed at all and an increase economy...

Here was my last fill of Shell V-Power (98ron);
335kms / 43.86L @ 166.5c/L = 13.09L/100kms ($73.07)
**for the record, Shell V-Power was 148.9c/L today**

A saving of around $20.00.

Yes my fuel consumption is high, but I do school drop offs and pick ups 5 days a week (idling in the car park for around 30mins each day) plus just general suburban journeys mixed with the occasional freeway run. Average speed generally around 15 - 25kms - never higher!
Given the driving that you do, there could well be some variation in fuel consumption. But the main thing is that the performance still feels the same.

In theory, fuel economy should drop on E10. But my experience with the Gull 98 has been that it depends on the vehicle.
Old 24-02-2017, 10:06 PM   #13
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another entry...

362.4kms / 45.48L @ 121.7c/L = 12.55L/100kms ($55.35)
Old 19-05-2017, 08:46 PM   #14
blue17
Starter Motor

A few points I have noted with my MD Ecoboost.
- there are 2 tunes of the ecoboost engine so increased performance/economy depends on which fuel you use varies across tunes.
- there can be a huge difference in costs between different RONs depending on the price cycle of up to 40c/l.
- engines can adjust to the different RONs without any engine damage issues.
- I have ran difference RONs in my 177kW engine and using measuring equipment have noticed little difference in acceleration times on the same bit of road same condition (about 7.5-7.8 for 0-100).
- I have not been able to notice much difference in fuel economy and it is hard to replicate unless you use something like the fuel test programs used by manufacturers.
- It would be nice if Ford actually gave figures for the different RONs. I am sure they would have done the testing and have the figures.
- So basically I usually use 91 RON as I still get decent power, no running issues, and save about $700 per year in fuel costs.
blue17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2017, 01:14 PM   #15
asteele-xr6

It's so hard to test without the right equipment and a racetrack ... I have always used 98, which is helped as I live near to a Costco who only sell 91 or 98 - and their 98 is cheaper than everyone elses 95... so 98 it is then
asteele-xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2017, 02:10 PM   #16
blue17
Starter Motor

Thumbs up Re: EcoBoost fuel choice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by asteele-xr6 View Post
It's so hard to test without the right equipment and a racetrack ... I have always used 98, which is helped as I live near to a Costco who only sell 91 or 98 - and their 98 is cheaper than everyone elses 95... so 98 it is then
Yep when I was last in Canberra I noticed those long queues of cars out near the Airport and the low price of fuel there. Doesn't seem such an option in Melb where price varies up to 30c/l during price cycle for 91 RON but 95/98 does not change.

And yes you do need the right equipment to measure performance, plenty of GPS based apps that do measure this type of stuff but would doubt their ability to measure changes in speed and distance that is rapidly changing. I have access to a laser based system that measures road speed directly to ground covered and it seems to provide vary consistent results over same piece of road under same conditions.
blue17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2017, 03:51 PM   #17
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asteele-xr6 View Post
I have always used 98, which is helped as I live near to a Costco who only sell 91 or 98 - and their 98 is cheaper than everyone elses 95... so 98 it is then
slightly off topic sorry: I'm the same with diesel, I have a 24hr Depo (diesel only) and it's Premium Diesel is cheaper than every other servo's standard diesel by about 5c but ~20c+ on others Premium. I've managed to fill up when I'm in the area instead of my local postcode.
Old 21-05-2017, 11:12 AM   #18
asteele-xr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue17 View Post
Yep when I was last in Canberra I noticed those long queues of cars out near the Airport and the low price of fuel there. Doesn't seem such an option in Melb where price varies up to 30c/l during price cycle for 91 RON but 95/98 does not change.

And yes you do need the right equipment to measure performance, plenty of GPS based apps that do measure this type of stuff but would doubt their ability to measure changes in speed and distance that is rapidly changing. I have access to a laser based system that measures road speed directly to ground covered and it seems to provide vary consistent results over same piece of road under same conditions.
It is amazing to see those queues, often causing chaos in the link roads - I thought they were mad making so many pumps, and now wish they had twice as many. Not sure how many they have, but from memory it has to be 16 or more.

Sometimes I have queued for 20 mins, which is tedious - but the savings can be $20 a tank, and I want to reward Costco for being so much cheaper than the competition - 'cos they could have chosen to be just a little bit cheaper!
asteele-xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post