Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 13-07-2008, 01:57 AM   #1
Mullett
Badly Focused

Default New car, new owner, new forum...

Another new Focus owner...I've had a little procession of go-fast 90s jap gear, so I decided it was time to settle down and save some money...so this is the car. 07 LT CL, came up at a dealer as a demo (7000km), paid 17 777 for it, rego, tank of fuel, stamp duty etc all paid. Time to start playing with it

Mods:
Suspention (what's the best package for the $$$?) I was going to start with springs and a rear swaybar, and possibly some shocks. Is it cheaper to buy from europe? I can get KONIs for about 1100, king springs for about 250, and KONI FSD shocks for 1400 (but they might not be compatible with a lowered car) Anyone got experiences they can relate?

Intake:
I'll do the 2nd airbox delete this weekend, that should free up a bit of power, and I'll sort out some CAI while I'm doing it. Anything else that's going to free up decent power without messing with factory setup too much?

Exhaust:
This is the hard one, I don't even know where to start...I'll just go for a cat back, 2.5 is heaps I guess, but it's gotta be QUIET, I don't want it droning in the cab at 110, but a bit of a bark on WOT is fine Experiences? Is there power to be had in the exhaust anyway?

Wheels:
Looking at *clicky* it's a bit of a debate between P008-17*7.0 Diablo Racer Silver, P020-17*7.0 Stacorp Racing Concept 5 - Silver,
P000-17*7.0 Lenso S7 and P000-17*7.0 Lenso S7 Modify Anyone know anywhere else to source rims for similar money? None of those totally jump out at me, but better than $2200 over here for rims! (and the choice is even worse...)

Are there many other WA guys over here?

RM.

93 GSR/Evo3...too much to mention, 12.2sec 1/4, FOR SALE!

*Maybe we don't try putting holes in things that sink, yeah?*
Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
focusrally888

there is along road ahead mate! im from wa too so if you look to purchase from eu let us all know so we can do a bulk order!!
focusrally888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2008, 05:59 PM   #3
RJO89
EuroFordClub

There are tonnes of threads already on these topics. Use the search button.
A few things:
1. Don't get King Springs. cheap and you get what you pay for. Ask BlackLS about kings. Get Eibachs and if you want shocks, get Bilstein coilovers from www.european-parts.net
2. Look at this for a factory-ish cold air intake system.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...intake+project
3. Not much power from exhaust, but frees up the system a bit. Everything factory is restrictive. Not sure how many people here have had exhaust work done though....
4. Those Lenso S7 rims are mint. But everything is subjective. If you ask people's opinion, you will get it. Personally, I think the first set of rims you pointed out look exactly like MP3 rims from a Fiesta, and wouldn't look too good on a Focus, but again, it's a subjective question...

Cheers,
Regan

BTW - welcome to the forums!!! Glad to see another focus owner :

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2008, 06:56 PM   #4
TEKILA
formerly AU_bullet

im looking at getting an exhaust system for my zetec soon...

what are the chance of a dual system like the XR5 turbo set up?
TEKILA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2008, 07:04 PM   #5
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU_bullet
im looking at getting an exhaust system for my zetec soon...

what are the chance of a dual system like the XR5 turbo set up?
Pretty good. Head over to www.european-parts.net and they have a full system available with different exhaust tips. You can also get a quad-exhaust system ;). Looks awesome

Old 13-07-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
TEKILA
formerly AU_bullet

where the duke do you find all the stuff on that website!

im after the rear bar for the XR5 too lol
Old 13-07-2008, 08:24 PM   #7
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Exhaust stuff - http://www.european-parts.net/catalo...Path=58_82_100

Rear XR5 bar - http://www.european-parts.net/catalo...roducts_id=458

All other XR5 parts - http://www.european-parts.net/catalo...Path=87_96_112

They don't come painted, not sure if they're primed either. So you need to add the cost of painting in the focus colour as well. Not a cheap way to go... I thought about it a while ago, worked out to be something like 1200 euros delivered without painting. But if you're gonna buy one, buy me one too

Old 13-07-2008, 08:46 PM   #8
TEKILA
formerly AU_bullet

baha! if i buy one i will let you know if you want to buy one too!
Old 13-07-2008, 10:29 PM   #9
skriblz06

do you guys reckon it would be easy to take off the standard focus roof spoiler and replace it with one of these?
http://www.european-parts.net/catalo...roducts_id=461

is it just me or does the standard focus wing seem abit small and barely noticeable from some side angles?
skriblz06 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2008, 10:36 PM   #10
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by skriblz06
do you guys reckon it would be easy to take off the standard focus roof spoiler and replace it with one of these?

is it just me or does the standard focus wing seem abit small and barely noticeable from some side angles?
I have seen a few Foci with XR5T spoilers. A guy that use to be on the forum done it to his. It looked mint! So it can be done. I think the standard spoiler is crap because it isn't colour coated and looks cheap.

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2008, 10:48 PM   #11
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgecrusher89
1. Don't get King Springs. cheap and you get what you pay for. Ask BlackLS about kings.
They lower the car without cutting springs. Thats about it... My back hurts.

They do help with the bodyroll a bit but an upgraded swaybar on stock susp is gonna do a lot more than kings.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2008, 11:53 PM   #12
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by skriblz06

Mate check out eBay for one of these. BP Racing down in Geelong bought an XR5 wreck for rally purposes and they are selling a black XR5T spoiler for cheap. Something like $450. It is almost mint condition but has a tiny stone chip (supposedly). Take a look. Would be worth it, and yes I believe they are directly interchangeable.

Old 14-07-2008, 01:38 AM   #13
skriblz06

edgecrusher: kool thanks for the heads up, is the wing that BP racing are selling found on ebay? any idea on how to remove the stock spoiler? tried looking for screws but with no luck. btw n e new mods done to your car?

Mullett: my suggestion would be go for the diablo racer silver or even white, depending what colour your focus is. the lenso wheels just reminds me of the alloy wheels found on most hondas. thats just my opinion though, whatever suits ur taste really. have you tried checking out st george wheels and tyres website? im pretty sure they ship interstate. or maybe try ozzytyres? ozzytyres have a pretty good range, but i think 17's with tyres is around 1700-1800. At tempe you save quite abit compared to ozzy. got my 18s from tempe for 1400
skriblz06 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2008, 03:06 AM   #14
Mullett
Badly Focused

Cheers for the input guys, I dropped the intake resonator out today. Not sure how much of a performance difference it made, but it sure sounds better I just put a 3' 90deg silicon bend that i had in the shed on the end of the airbox, pulling from the left hand side of the radiator. I'll get some flexy tube and make a proper CAI tomorrow...Sounds like money spent on an exhaust would be better spent elsewhere, so I'll keep looking for suspention and platform goodies The Eibach springs look like about $300 landed, so not too bad. Has anyone played with the Bilstein or Eibach coilovers?

RM.

Old 14-07-2008, 10:18 AM   #15
RJO89
EuroFordClub

skriblz - changed all the air conditioning controls and demister button to blue the other night, and attempted to install a sub and amp, only to run into about a million problems with it! The amp nor sub are actually functional so I'm just taking them back and getting a refund. Probably spend the money on lowering it next. Also got some footwell lighting wiring to start and to run a blue LED to the ignition slot so I can see where the freakin key goes at night time!!!

Old 14-07-2008, 10:26 AM   #16
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullett
Mods:
Suspention (what's the best package for the $$$?) I was going to start with springs and a rear swaybar, and possibly some shocks. Is it cheaper to buy from europe? I can get KONIs for about 1100, king springs for about 250, and KONI FSD shocks for 1400 (but they might not be compatible with a lowered car) Anyone got experiences they can relate?

I got fully adj coil-overs all round from PPM Racing here in Melb $2.5k. very nice.

here are some pics:
http://members.westnet.com.au/veloci...?photocatid=21
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2008, 01:41 PM   #17
BlackLS
yum

Spoiler unbolts from the inside of the hatch at the top. There are 2 12mm bolts visible without removing trim, removing the hatch trim will reveal 4 more.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2008, 09:20 PM   #18
Mullett
Badly Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor82
I got fully adj coil-overs all round from PPM Racing here in Melb $2.5k. very nice.

here are some pics:
http://members.westnet.com.au/veloci...?photocatid=21
Those are some damn awesome brakes...how much did they set you back? As far as coilovers, there's some on the PPM website at about 1500, do you know who makes them/where they're made? It's that or the Bilstiens from European Parts, at about $1600 landed (does that strike anyone else as a bargain for Bilstein?) I wasn't sure about a focus with white rims, but yours looks the ...maybe I'll think again for mine

RM

Old 15-07-2008, 01:42 AM   #19
Mullett
Badly Focused

Breakthrough on rims Should have thought of it before, all I need to do is get single fit 5-stud rims and drill out the new stud holes. Damn CNC mill's gotta be good for something :P

RM.

Old 15-07-2008, 09:41 AM   #20
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullett
Those are some damn awesome brakes...how much did they set you back? As far as coilovers, there's some on the PPM website at about 1500, do you know who makes them/where they're made? It's that or the Bilstiens from European Parts, at about $1600 landed (does that strike anyone else as a bargain for Bilstein?) I wasn't sure about a focus with white rims, but yours looks the ...maybe I'll think again for mine

RM
Thanks man... i think having the white stripes made the difference :

I got the bakes and coilovers at the same time so yeah maybe they were $1500 + installation. all round cost $6500 (mates rates).

Drawbacks: my car no longer has a handbrake (bricks are wonderful things), spare wheel won't fit nor the orig 17" rims. Im in the process of getting another matching rim to be used as a spare as nothing but 18x8 will fit over the calipers on the front
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2008, 12:37 AM   #21
Mullett
Badly Focused

Good platform mods...I like your style. The brakes are total overkill (the best kind of brakes ) Does anyone on here get into motorsport with their focus? I've always been into the hillclimbs/sprints/motorkhana days, don't see why I should stop now :P I'll need some good brake pads though, and some 16s to put my R spec tyres on...

RM.

Old 16-07-2008, 02:49 PM   #22
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Quote: "Does anyone on here get into motorsport"?
Mullett,

A few of us in the Eurofordclub have in the past been involved with Best Racing when they campaigned their Focus ST170 and they won their Class in the Production Car Championship a couple of years ago. We've also been to various A.R.C. Rallies and some have even been down to W.S.I.D. to take their cars down the 1/4 Mile. A.T.M. their aren't any Eurofords around racing on the circuits but the Ex-Britek Fiesta A.R.C. car is still competing this year in the hands of Darren Widnus.

I don't know where you are but Wakefield Park near Goulburn have regular "Speed off the Streets" track days if you can get there.

Oh, BTW I've been around Oran Park in a EVO 5 a few years back. Absolutely Awesome experience. What happened to your EVO?

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2008, 01:15 AM   #23
Mullett
Badly Focused

Ah, sadly I'm in WA :( The land deprived of motorsport... The EVO is here *clicky*
I don't know how many other WA guys are on here, but if anyone's keen to put together a team for the Speed Event Series Speed Event Series or a a round of AHG motorkhanas, it'd be good to get some out on the track i think they're a surprisingly well sorted car, so getting a decent class time out of them should be doable...

RM.

Old 17-07-2008, 02:50 PM   #24
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Mullett, Nice Evo there. BTW The Best Racing ST170 now resides in your part of the world and you're bound to see it competing in a Tarmac Rally or circuit somewhere over there.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post