Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 29-06-2006, 07:46 AM   #1
jim1606
Jim

Default Mondeo III

Here is a spy shot of the Mondeo III, do you think you will get it or not?

sorry bout size, i dont know how to trim it! (if someone does know how to can you tell me?

jim1606 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 12:10 PM   #2
blacksapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1606
sorry bout size, i dont know how to trim it! (if someone does know how to can you tell me?
Hi Jim, you can resize it in a program like Photoshop or even Paint (if you're using Windows), or just paste a link to it in your post:

ie: http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...MondeoScan.jpg

I don't know much about the Mondeo. It looks interesting, but the shots seem to make it look more like a Honda, only with more character.

Old 29-06-2006, 12:26 PM   #3
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The last Mondeo we got was the HE in 2000. I think the current model would be priced too high for our mid size market. Holden were selling the Euro Vectra up until recently but found they couldn't compete in that market segment (viewed as too dear for a mid size Holden...)

I doubt Ford would bring the Mondeo back- IMHO they'd lose quite a few Falcon sales to it if they did!
Old 29-06-2006, 06:20 PM   #4
Uni

looks like crap.

dad owned one of the earlier models a few years ago.. when i told him about this, he raised a good point, which is that a Volvo S40 can be had for nearly $35k now.. why would you bother with the mondeo? furthermore, given that the focus has a ****load of room and more than enough poke to suit the average punter, why buy the mondeo?

ford australia would be stupid to bring it out. the first one was a great car, but they didnt sell, and this wont either

Uni/.
Uni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 07:12 PM   #5
jim1606
Jim

All very good points i suppose there is no market for it in Oz, but here they sell like hot cakes (like most fords)
Old 29-06-2006, 08:10 PM   #6
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Hi Jim,

Am enjoying the UK perspective.

Would I be correct in saying the Mondeo is Ford's largest size sedan in the UK?

If so, that's the answer for the success in the UK and the lack of market in Oz.

It gets too close to Falcon (Ford Australia's locally made I6 sedan), and is likely to be uncompetitive in price. With a Honda Accord Euro (the benchmark mainstream mid size sedan according to most motoring journalists here)at $33,500 in Australia, there is no way people will buy a Mondeo at the same sort of price
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 08:19 PM   #7
jim1606
Jim

Yeah it is fords biggest sedan, it rivals the accord here but it completely wipes the floor with it, but i have noticed that in Oz you seem to prefer the japenese cars, whereas we like home grown motors (we see ford europe as an english car company)
Old 29-06-2006, 10:52 PM   #8
professorsabre
NECO

Jim I love the current ST220, I would presume Ford will continue the ST trend with this new Mondeo, any idea if they are? Will they still be using the 3L Duratec? Mind you would mind getting one of the Titanium ST's.
professorsabre is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 10:56 PM   #9
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondeost24
. Holden were selling the Euro Vectra up until recently but found they couldn't compete in that market segment (viewed as too dear for a mid size Holden...)
Really? Still on their website...

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/...ry?vehicleid=3

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 11:02 PM   #10
Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Really? Still on their website...
its been slated for discontinuation for quite some time now. it didnt sell well and was cut at the same time as holden announced it would be rolling back Opel imports and replacing them with more keenly priced Korean garbage

Uni/.
Old 29-06-2006, 11:03 PM   #11
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
With a Honda Accord Euro (the benchmark mainstream mid size sedan according to most motoring journalists here)at $33,500 in Australia, there is no way people will buy a Mondeo at the same sort of price
Actually the upgraded Mazda 6 has taken the crown back going by the last review I read. Having just bought one I can say it's a big upgrade from the old HE Mondeo ST24 I had, but I bet the new model Mondeo would be a close match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uni
dad owned one of the earlier models a few years ago.. when i told him about this, he raised a good point, which is that a Volvo S40 can be had for nearly $35k now..furthermore, given that the focus has a ****load of room and more than enough poke to suit the average punter, why buy the mondeo?
Actually it's $39950 plus on road costs (ie more like probably $44000 drive away!)

The Focus/ Mazda 3 is in a smaller class than the Mondeo/ Mazda 6 - particularly if you're talking rear seat legroom. Mazda wouldn't sell any 6's if they were line ball with the 3 for space! ;)
Old 29-06-2006, 11:11 PM   #12
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

I'm quite blonde - Only just realised now that you bought a Mazda6. What ever happened to the Fiesta Zetec? Did you trade in the Modeo?

I think uni was refering to the S40 second hand for around $35k

I believe the Hot Hatches and Medium Sized cars are BOOMING at the moment. I was really considering the Honda Accord Euro Sport. But figured I'm 19 and don't have a family.... Didn't want to look like I was driving my parent's car!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 30-06-2006, 03:42 AM   #13
jim1606
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsabre
Jim I love the current ST220, I would presume Ford will continue the ST trend with this new Mondeo, any idea if they are? Will they still be using the 3L Duratec? Mind you would mind getting one of the Titanium ST's.
Yeah they will contine to offer the mondeo ST with the Mondeo 3 which is really goos, and i would expect it to be a bit more hardcore this time round as with the focus ST
Old 30-06-2006, 10:31 AM   #14
melbzetec

Quote:
Actually the upgraded Mazda 6 has taken the crown back going by the last review I read.
The last Wheels concluded their long term test on Accord Euro, and raved ("recommend it to anyone that asked' or something similar). And someone Wheels? Motor? used it as the benchmark in a recent handling test.

But we are probably both biased
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 30-06-2006, 11:25 AM   #15
Uni

Quote:
I think uni was refering to the S40 second hand for around $35k
yeah sorry about that folks, should have been more clear.. you can pick up demonstrator models for $35k on the road (they're already registered etc..)

Uni/.
Old 30-06-2006, 11:26 AM   #16
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm quite blonde - Only just realised now that you bought a Mazda6. What ever happened to the Fiesta Zetec? Did you trade in the Modeo?
The Mondeo went about a year ago (need to change my user name....) The Mazda 6 is technically the wife's car, but I enjoy driving it except for the fact it's an auto : , would love to drive the 6 speed manual!

The Fiesta Zetec would be for me, and I'm still looking. Realistically I won't be buying for at least three months (finances need to recover after buying the 6 in May.)

The Vectra is still listed on Holden's website, but you can't buy certain models (eg. V6 sedan IIRC) and others are being runout. I was trying to get prices as a comparison when we were buying the 6.
Old 30-06-2006, 11:39 AM   #17
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
The last Wheels concluded their long term test on Accord Euro, and raved ("recommend it to anyone that asked' or something similar). And someone Wheels? Motor? used it as the benchmark in a recent handling test.

But we are probably both biased
Just found the magazine - Wheels October 2005, just after they released the updated 6. It was a test between the Mazda 6 Luxury Sports, Subaru Liberty and Accord Euro Luxury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels October 2005
Dynamically, no car here is a dud, but it's the Mazda 6 that best treads the fine line between comfort and control....It's the freshly tweaked Mazda 6, however, that wins this bout. The previous model was a vivacious, involving steer with a punchy engine and matching soundtrack, and the '05 version retains all this while adding extra doses of quality, comfort, refinement - and fun.
The old model 6 also topped the Wheels Active Safety Program - but I don't think the Accord was included in that?

Either way they're both fine cars; it's just fitted into our price bracket and the other didn't! _2:
Old 30-06-2006, 01:27 PM   #18
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

I do believe the Accord Euro has been updated since Oct 05...

In regards to the Mondeo scoop - I don't like it. Is it just me, or does it look like a cross between a Mazda6 and a Renault Laguna?

Either way, I think it looks quite ugly, especially that waste creaseline. :

For some bizzare reason, the Wagon looks better IMO

Old 30-06-2006, 03:46 PM   #19
melbzetec

Quote:
The old model 6 also topped the Wheels Active Safety Program - but I don't think the Accord was included in that?:
You're right...both excellent cars.

Wheels actually used the Accord as the benchmark car in the Active Safety Program, and therefore wouldn't include it in the results....which struck me as odd really. Doesn't really help the punters when you exclude one of the top players

Old 30-06-2006, 04:03 PM   #20
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I do believe the Accord Euro has been updated since Oct 05...
I think you might be right- but IIRC it was only cosmetic stuff like 17" wheels standard? The 6 had a major upgrade just before that review- supposedly the new one is a lot better to drive and quieter inside. I haven't driven the original model 6 so can't comment on how much better they are?
Old 02-07-2006, 08:42 PM   #21
jim1606
Jim

the accord and 6 offer tiny sales compared to the mondeo!
Old 02-07-2006, 08:50 PM   #22
Falcon Freak
Banned

Don't like what I see. It appears that the new Mondeo shares many styling features as seen on the Iosis concept car. If this is the new global styling direction for Ford passenger vehicles then I am already concerned about the styling of the 2008 Orion model.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2006, 09:54 PM   #23
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

May be the direction of sales, but I think it looks fantastic... I would buy a TDI Mondeo wagon in a flash if they brought one out here.... One day they might just rationalise the range... (Orion) Will be Territory as the Wagon, Falcon as the Sedan, and Maybe a Focii Wagon as a smaller alternative.

Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2006, 10:21 PM   #24
jim1606
Jim

when you say orion, you dont mean a small sedan do you?
Old 03-07-2006, 11:13 AM   #25
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
the accord and 6 offer tiny sales compared to the mondeo!
Not over here!

The Mondeo was never that popular even when it was sold. Today, Mazda 6's are everywhere and the Accord Euros are reasonably common.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:04 PM   #26
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murcod
Not over here!

The Mondeo was never that popular even when it was sold. Today, Mazda 6's are everywhere and the Accord Euros are reasonably common.
YEP! And judging by the Focus vs Mazda3 sales, I'd assume the Mondeo wouldn't do too well here even if it was released now!

Old 04-07-2006, 07:33 AM   #27
jim1606
Jim

well aussies should realise fords are best!! autralia has always preferred japenese cars anyway
Old 04-07-2006, 11:05 AM   #28
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
well aussies should realise fords are best!! autralia has always preferred japenese cars anyway
Actually if you want to get technical we're probably much like the UK and LOCALLY made vehicles are the most common ie. Falcon and Commodore. Mind you, that's because on a $$$ vs size basis you can't beat them.

Unfortunately the more affordable locally made models are far from the type of cars that enthusiasts want to drive (unless you like navigating a barge ) So then you get people favouring the cars like the Mazda 6, Subaru Liberty and Accord Euro which are a lot better made, nicer to drive and large enough for most families.

*** no offence to any Falcon or Commodore drivers intended ****
Old 05-07-2006, 08:49 AM   #29
jim1606
Jim

Subaru liberty?????????
Old 05-07-2006, 03:54 PM   #30
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Subaru liberty?????????
You probably know it as a Legacy. Legacy is a charitable organisation that looks after War Veterans here in Australia and Subaru thought it wouldn't go down too well if a Japanese car used the same name in Australia- so they are called Libertys here. ;)