Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-10-2011, 10:27 PM   #1
compact 351

Default work

Hi all just a question,Work has slowed right down has anyone else noticed, or is it just in my trade cheers alby

compact 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
falconhell74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: work

Mate my work load has gone through the roof , my rear end is hanging out doin 10 to 12 hour days but you get that in Gladstone

Audi A4 S-line quttro
Xc falcon
Previous fords-
xc falcon 500 ,250 x flow 3 speed
xc gs worked 250 x flow 4 speed
xa Fairmont 302 auto wagon
xb falcon 250 log auto 4 door
xb falcon 200 log auto ute
xc gs project - had to sell :-(
xc gs 302 4 speed 4 door
xc gs 351 auto 4 door
zf fairlane 302 auto
zk fairlane 250 x flow carb auto
zl fairlane 250 x flow EFI auto
xg ute , BA falcon dedicated gas
xd, xf x 3 ,ea,eb,ef,au x 3,telstar tx5
falconhell74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 11:20 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

We've got 58 ambulances to do in the next 40 weeks, plus another 16 regional ambulances, a mobile control tower for Melbourne airport, 8 police brawler vans, the list just keeps going on.

Never a dull moment here unfortunately.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 11:25 PM   #4
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Depends on where you are and what your trade is...

One of the bigger builders in Brisbane has cut 10% from all their subcontractors wages and the BSA is actually putting a note at the bottom of their licence renewals that you can get a supervisors licence instead of renewing your subcontractors licence if you aren't going to subcontract so you don't have to retest later (it's a little bit cheaper, but not much)...

If you're involved in the building industry in Queensland, things are a little slow, but not slow enough for me to be out of a job just yet.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 11:48 PM   #5
falconhell74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

heaps of jobs going in gladstone for LNG 50 to 60 $ an hour +++, rentals is a diffrent matter though ,people who have lived here all there lives are moving away as there rent has jumped fron $350 week to $750 over night & its only going to get worse, so if you want a job over here you need to do FIFO so you get camp accomadation............. when they finnish building them that is

Audi A4 S-line quttro
Xc falcon
Previous fords-
xc falcon 500 ,250 x flow 3 speed
xc gs worked 250 x flow 4 speed
xa Fairmont 302 auto wagon
xb falcon 250 log auto 4 door
xb falcon 200 log auto ute
xc gs project - had to sell :-(
xc gs 302 4 speed 4 door
xc gs 351 auto 4 door
zf fairlane 302 auto
zk fairlane 250 x flow carb auto
zl fairlane 250 x flow EFI auto
xg ute , BA falcon dedicated gas
xd, xf x 3 ,ea,eb,ef,au x 3,telstar tx5
falconhell74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 02:19 AM   #6
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

We're going to be flat out until Christmas - which is usual for charter bus companies - especially those that do a lot of school work.
This year though, we'll likely have to turn down work, as there have been several businesses in the industry (4 just in our local area) that have gone out backwards in the last couple of months.

One fairly large charter company had bookings months in advance, some customers who've paid in advance, will have all their passengers waiting, ready to go, and their buses will never turn up.

Call their office numbers and it just rings out. No message service, no diversion.

The schools especially will have dramas, because it all went down just before the holidays when they didn't require vehicles as usual for sport and excursions.
The receivers obviously never thought it might be an idea to call the customers that are booked and give them a heads up...
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 02:48 AM   #7
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Slowed right down at my work. With big chains like bunnings, Home, mitre 10, and cheaper alternatives, people have not shopped with us as much.
This however doesn't bother me anymore as I have just quit and will be working in a bottle shop. People are always buying grog so I'll always have a job!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 03:19 AM   #8
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Nope, plenty of Oil & Gas platforms and pipelines are presently being installed in Bass Strait, NW Shelf and the Timor Sea. In fact the industry has just had approval on new Oil/Gas installation contracts to see us through to 2022.....with more waiting for signing off.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 10:31 AM   #9
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Construction industry is literally finished here in Sydney. I put this down to banks not giving finance, councils wanting WAY too much information when applying and clients finding the process too expensive.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:52 AM   #10
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconhell74
heaps of jobs going in gladstone for LNG 50 to 60 $ an hour +++, rentals is a diffrent matter though ,people who have lived here all there lives are moving away as there rent has jumped fron $350 week to $750 over night & its only going to get worse, so if you want a job over here you need to do FIFO so you get camp accomadation............. when they finnish building them that is
I have been doing some of the comms design on Wiggins, it is going to be HUGE. I had to move a link off a 300 ft hill as it will be removed completely in 12 months.....

Work is rather spasmodic everywhere. Mines and public service are zooming along but most others if not connected with the above are not having fun.

On potentially frightening issue with the mining boom is the drain on the rest of Australia's skill base.
Why be a teacher, nurse, doctor, tradie, policeman, ambo, pilot, shop assistant etc. when you can earn two or three times as much in the pits?

And then when you get sick, your kids can't find get into school, you get robbed etc. what do you do?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #11
Penelope Pitstop
Can't get enough of this.

Location: Standing on the driveway sobbing because I don't have a PINK ute anymore :0(

My work is always slow - although there are heaps of decent jobs being advertised at the moment so I am using the slow times to apply for lots of new opportunities and promotions.

Its nice to be paid to look for other work!
Old 07-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #12
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

iron ore outloading.. fill that boat as fast as you can.. the machine just keeps pumping... i hope.....
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #13
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

As long as commercial business doesn't go out of business I'll be sweet.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #14
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The current trend seems to be your dead or flat out. We slowed right down but have recently hit warp speed and cannot keep up. I've recently opened the purse and been doing my bit to keep things going.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 07:25 PM   #15
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith
The current trend seems to be your dead or flat out. We slowed right down but have recently hit warp speed and cannot keep up. I've recently opened the purse and been doing my bit to keep things going.
what sort of industry bud..???..
Old 07-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #16
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Construction on the Gold Coast seems to be dead, plenty of work up north though especially Gladstone, big money but it costs a lot to live..a 4 bedroom donga was setting us back $500 a week
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #17
prydey
Rob

flat out where i am (newstyle printing) and has been all year.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 07:41 PM   #18
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
what sort of industry bud..???..
Mech Engineering for world wide automotive projects. This always seems to be the way, when things tighten up there is an initial dip then companies realise those with the best products will get the market share. People love spending money, they just become a little more savvy when things tighten up.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 08:58 PM   #19
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good to hear some people are busy with work... doom and gloom is the crap...
Old 07-10-2011, 09:25 PM   #20
Thornie
Off smelting

My workloads the same as it has been for the last 4 and a half years, the benefit of doing the same **** day in day out haha.
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 10:08 PM   #21
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
heaps of jobs going in gladstone for LNG 50 to 60 $ an hour +++,
From what I've heard, everyone is hanging out for Wiggins to crank up, conditions on the Island are very dodgy, not a lot of happy campers.
Fifo's getting better deals/contracts than locals.

Any word on what's really happening over there?

Ed
Old 07-10-2011, 10:17 PM   #22
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Back on topic though, we had the doom and gloom 'carbon tax' talk a couple of months ago, and things still haven't picked up.
We're still stockpiling clinker rather than selling it, and a few of us here reckon the plant will be cactus in 3 to 5 years.....

Ed
Old 08-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #23
Thornie
Off smelting

Quote:
OT: but yeh the rental prices here are getting shocking, i might have to find a second job for my days off for some extra cash to pay me damn rent soon. hopefully wont be too much longer ill buy a house.
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 08:07 PM   #24
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Im in construction equipment component manufacturing (I'm a design engineer) and things slowed down a bit at my work last month but the sales guys seem to have done there job and now we have numerous large orders going through the factory.

Couple of busy weeks for me now, especially since one of the other engineers quit and we are a man down (we were only a 4 man team over 2 factories in 2 different states as it was)

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #25
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

i am dead set flat out. we could put on another carpenter and still be flat out. it helps that i look after all the MYER and COCA COLA buildings in nsw. no matter if people arnt spending money they all need there buildings complying on fire and ohs regulations.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 09:38 PM   #26
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

I have just had my biggest month in 18 years in business. It is strange out there thou. Lots of people are really strugling..........