Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-10-2011, 12:58 AM   #1
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Default fire bugs

very hot and windy here today with lots of smoke . its flared up the fires in the hills again . we have had 6 power poles burnt down in the last 8 weeks plus a few trees burnt over the lines smashing crossarms etc. and tonight we have just turned off another section of line that goes through a raging fire. helicopter tomorrow to see what they have burnt down this time.

and they complain about the cost of electricity while they keep lighting more fires. crazy buggers. i think the only pasture improvment system around here consists of a box of matches and a carton of xxxx.. .. end of rant.

`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: fire bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave351cid

and they complain about the cost of electricity while they keep lighting more fires. crazy buggers. i think the only pasture improvment system around here consists of a box of matches and a carton of xxxx.. .. end of rant.
The cost of electricity rising is mainly due to government privitising everything,adding any and every tax known to man on everything they can
Some of the old powerpoles around the place , youd just about push over by breathing on them

If we kept revegitating or burning all the undergrowth thats lying on the ground, like thats been done since mosses was a kid,we would have saved many lives and houses that disappeared in the last few years
Let alone the absolute stupidity of people building next to state forests,or have dense scrub right at their front door
I live in a rural area,i have a massive area around my house ,that IF any fire was to try to engolf id have plenty of warning and plenty of time to act,no trees can fall on the house
Yet my neighbour has been a timber cutter all his life, and he has thick scrub not 5 metres from the house, with 20-30-40 foot trees within metres
Like all things in life
Stupidity over rules common sense
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
The cost of electricity rising is mainly due to government privitising everything,adding any and every tax known to man on everything they can
Some of the old powerpoles around the place , youd just about push over by breathing on them

If we kept revegitating or burning all the undergrowth thats lying on the ground, like thats been done since mosses was a kid,we would have saved many lives and houses that disappeared in the last few years
Let alone the absolute stupidity of people building next to state forests,or have dense scrub right at their front door
I live in a rural area,i have a massive area around my house ,that IF any fire was to try to engolf id have plenty of warning and plenty of time to act,no trees can fall on the house
Yet my neighbour has been a timber cutter all his life, and he has thick scrub not 5 metres from the house, with 20-30-40 foot trees within metres
Like all things in life
Stupidity over rules common sense
In addition we have a huge problem in that they will not build new coal powered stations as it is "not politically correct". Neither will they build nuclear and there is no other solution in this country for base load.

I hope no one thinks all these "save power bill" ads are to actually reduce the cost of power. They are just to push the collapse of the grid of the forcing of building coal/nuclear far enough into the the future that it will "someone else's problem".
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
Thornie
Off smelting

Too right dave, that one that started out of gladstone yesterday had to been deliberatly lit, unless there's some spontainious combustion going on around the place.
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaTTuS
Too right dave, that one that started out of gladstone yesterday had to been deliberatly lit, unless there's some spontainious combustion going on around the place.
i agree .

i just seen on the tv that their getting people ready to evacuate on the south of gladstone somewhere. didnt say exactly where but i`m guessing its the area between Bororen and Rodds Bay road . we were out there this morning and the fire is going pretty well with the wind behind it.

we found one pole burnt down . after cutting about 20 trees off the track to get in there..

if they want to burn it they should be doing it early in the season. not at the dryest, windiest, hotest part of the year. lighting fires here now is the same as lighting them in victoria or the blue mountains at christmas time.
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
Old 02-10-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC

what these farmers pay for electricity for a full year would not go close to covering the cost of repairing the damage they are doing with their fires. and mostly all it would take to prevent any trouble is to go for a drive around the poles after the fire has gone through to check that they are not on fire. the green treated poles seem to be the worst as they will smolder for weeks . non of the old natural poles have been burnt.
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
Old 02-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #7
Thornie
Off smelting

I just had a look on google maps i think it may be in the triangle section, if you look how gladstone benarby road, brude hwy and dawson hwy intersect the areas around there although the qps facebook page does have other areas listed as well. Firefighters are currently struggling because of the strong northerly breeze.
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #8
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dave,

Absolutely totally agree, back burning should have happened already
SHH dont tell the greenies

Theres already mention that IF we dont get any good rain in the next few months, its gunna be a bad year for fires
From floods to bad fire season in one year,ironic

As for stupid landowners, yeah there out there
A local land owner decide to do the paddock burn off
Firies were called , they had to cut his fences to get in to control the out of control fire
Then the land owner tried to seek damages to the fences for the deliberate fires he lit
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post