Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #61
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Default Re: Longer Daylight Savings

Its not bad. I get home from work at 6pm, now i can work on the car etc without messing with lights.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #62
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Starting work at 6am and finishing at 6pm on day shifts I wish we had it in Banana Land, that way i could go for a bit of a ride after work or perhaps enjoy a few daylight hours without being in a teal uniform.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:33 PM   #63
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
You might want to check your history.

In fact it was Sir Joh who first implemented daylight saving in QLD in only to receive such a huge push back that it was abandoned a year later.

Then in 1989 Russell Cooper bought it back for a 3 year trial which lead to the 1992 referendum under Wayne Goss where it was voted out.

Now I am aware that the concept of decisions "by the people for the people" rather than "OBEY what govco tells you" is somewhat foreign to a lot of Australians but up here despite the dilution by emigration from the south we still like to try and run our state in a way that suits Queenslanders.....
This post should be compulsory reading for our elected officials when they consider floating the idea of d/light saving. Just to remind them that it is the people they are serving not the other way round.
By all means have a referendum, and if the majority of voters want it thats fine. At least we can put it to bed!!!!
Talking QLD obviously and up here they seem to have forgotten this .

Last edited by GREGL; 06-10-2011 at 09:43 PM.
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 09:46 PM   #64
mex351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing good to say about daylight savings.Just a screw around IMO. Try putting your kids to bed when the sun is still up and your neighbour thinks it's cool to mow the lawn at 8.00pm.Stay up longer during the hottest part of the day not the coolest.How doe's that work..?

Mex351
mex351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 11:02 PM   #65
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned
So what, you have figured out a way to mow the law correct at night? You got high beams on your mower? I personally couldn't care less if the noise of my mower and gardening equipment stops my neighbours from picking up there knife & fork to have tea. I put up with their stupid barking dog all hours so what's a little noise from my yard after work between neighbours?
I will ignore the attack and add , no when I came to town I was told the reason of when to mow - 4pm - 7 pm the night shifters are up and had there sleep ...a crucial part of staying alive in our game .courtesy is all it is . Now also with 6.30 starts and finishes it gives the best chance of driving both ways to work in the light , so you change a clock on your wall ...yay , I have routines .

The rest of your post is just anger about unrelated issues .

Oh and don't move in next door you start a mower up a seven we will become very well acquainted.
I have already said that it works down south your daylight situation is different , but with so many southerners moving up here I guess in the future if it came to s vote it would get in .
The whole world lives in different time zones so the whole thing about we only do it for qlders is crux ...
Old 07-10-2011, 08:51 AM   #66
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I think that we should actually just move the whole thing forward permanently.

The middle of winter up here is quite ok and it going dark just after knock off time is not a problem.

Of course the southerners will whinge and moan that it is not suitable for their lat and lon but I care about that as much as they care about the effects of daylight saving up here.....
Upon due consideration, this..../\ !

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post